Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WSJ badmouths the Most Important Right to Protest

5 posters

Go down

WSJ badmouths the Most Important Right to Protest  Empty WSJ badmouths the Most Important Right to Protest

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:59 am

WSJ, that running dog of capitalist imperialism is now running down the most important right to protest in Bangladesh just because some shopkeepers and factory owners made losses. Fellow agents for change, I invite you all to light a candle in support of the Bangladeshis' right to protest freely and to their hearts' content. This attack on the essence of democracy by the WSJ will not be tolerated. Let us be the change we want. Now that we occupied Wall Street, let's take the next logical step: Occupy the Wall Street Journal.

Bangladesh has long suffered from hartals, which have been common in South Asia since the days of Mahatma Gandhi, who used them to protest colonial rule in India. In the case of Bangladesh, the hartals are called by any of the country's raucous political parties to score political points or embarrass whoever controls the government.

The country has endured 36 nationwide shutdowns this year, according to the Commerce Ministry, compared with 29 last year and 17 in 2009 to 2011. Typically, university classes are canceled, businesses operate at reduced staff, and many people stay home lest they get caught in stray violence. More than 80 people have died in hartal-related bloodshed since January, while protesters have torched hundreds of buses and cars.

The strikes have cost the country more than $7 billion this year, or more than $200 million for each day of strikes, the Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry estimates. Many analysts believe hartals will become even more common as the election approaches.

"The constitution guarantees freedom of expression and protest, so I'm not in favor of banning hartals," said Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir earlier this year after a spate of strikes.

Last edited by Merlot Daruwala on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

WSJ badmouths the Most Important Right to Protest  Empty Re: WSJ badmouths the Most Important Right to Protest

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:05 am

I canceled by subscription when Murdoch bought the paper. So I can't read the article. I am not surprised this paper would support curbing the rights of people in order to make things easier for businessmen.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

WSJ badmouths the Most Important Right to Protest  Empty Re: WSJ badmouths the Most Important Right to Protest

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:12 am

I urge other subscribers to also follow your noble example and cancel their subscriptions to the WSJ. The journalists there should pay the price for putting local economy and livelihoods ahead of the most important right to protest and the essence of democracy.

The WSJ is not just a pro-business paper, it is also an anti-poor paper. It is insulting to daily-wagers when they make it look like hunger and lost income trump the most important right to protest. I urge the political parties in BD to hold a hartal to protest against the WSJ's gratuitous attack on the fundamental right of Bangladesh's poor people to starve.

PS: This is in the free section of the paper.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:28 am

I clicked the link before I wrote my earlier post. It told me I need a subscription to read the article. 

PS: Supporting the right to peaceful protest does not equate to supporting coercion to protest, or forcing people to stay at home against their will.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:23 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I urge other subscribers to also follow your noble example and cancel their subscriptions to the WSJ. The journalists there should pay the price for putting local economy and livelihoods ahead of the most important right to protest and the essence of democracy.

The WSJ is not just a pro-business paper, it is also an anti-poor paper. It is insulting to daily-wagers when they make it look like hunger and lost income trump the most important right to protest. I urge the political parties in BD to hold a hartal to protest against the WSJ's gratuitous attack on the fundamental right of Bangladesh's poor people to starve.

Your sarcasm seems to have been wasted in this thread. No libbies bit hard.

PS: You probably have a corporate subscription to WSJ that is transparent to you.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:56 am

Hellsangel wrote:PS: You probably have a corporate subscription to WSJ that is transparent to you.

Yeah, that explains it. I was taken aback to see I had full access to the site - I spent the afternoon trying to remember if I had signed up for some 30-day free access.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I urge other subscribers to also follow your noble example and cancel their subscriptions to the WSJ. The journalists there should pay the price for putting local economy and livelihoods ahead of the most important right to protest and the essence of democracy.

aVivek, are you now going to follow the noble example and cancel your subscription?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:54 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:PS: You probably have a corporate subscription to WSJ that is transparent to you.

Yeah, that explains it. I was taken aback to see I had full access to the site - I spent the afternoon trying to remember if I had signed up for some 30-day free access.

It is also possible the Asia/India edition has free access. Achachan must step in and deny access.

PS: Just confirmed that the Asia edition does have free access.

Last edited by Hellsangel on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 am

I have never seen any of you condemning Indian gov for denying freedom of speech in Tamil Nadu. Are you hypocrites?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:14 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:I have never seen any of you condemning Indian gov for denying freedom of speech in Tamil Nadu. Are you hypocrites?
Just to clarify, every human is a hypocrite which includes everyone here.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:29 pm

not me.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:40 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:not me.

lol!

Starting Monday with a joke is good for rest of the week.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down