Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

have a great weekend

+2
Nila
Impedimenta
6 posters

Go down

have a great weekend Empty have a great weekend

Post by Impedimenta Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm

....plans?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

have a great weekend Empty Re: have a great weekend

Post by Guest Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Impedimenta wrote:....plans?
phasial tomorrow. rest of the time, dunno.

you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Thalaivaa movie.

What about you?

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:....plans?
phasial tomorrow. rest of the time, dunno.

you?
Phasial???

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:03 pm

got it. nm.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:43 pm

some random relatives are going to show up from india. i'll be carting them around.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Meeting friends who are visiting from overseas. They used to live here and were our closest friends for a few years, and then they moved overseas two years ago. We haven't seen them since. So looking forward to catching up with them.

Also need to buy a new washer-dryer this weekend. This will be stressful.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:47 pm

i HATE shopping for appliances.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i HATE shopping for appliances.
other than jazz CDs what do like to shop, max?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:55 pm

there's a shuttle that runs between the airport which will bring you to a point that is 10 mins from my house. do you think you could do that; will save me a long drive to the airport?

no can do, we don't want to get confused and lost.

how do you get confused and lost when (a) you speak perfectly good english and (b) you are traveling with a smart phone your son has given you to use while you're in the US?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
other than jazz CDs what do like to shop, max?
books, alcohol, travel deals, lab equipment, and used cars.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Me too. Unlike the last round when I did a bunch of research about a dishwasher, this time I will just show up and go with whatever my wife likes.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:04 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:there's a shuttle that runs between the airport which will bring you to a point that is 10 mins from my house. do you think you could do that; will save me a long drive to the airport?

no can do, we don't want to get confused and lost.

how do you get confused and lost when (a) you speak perfectly good english and (b) you are traveling with a smart phone your son has given you to use while you're in the US?
Haha. There is a BART stop that is a 5 min drive from my place. And BART runs right to the international terminal at SFO. You don't even need to pick up your bags once in the whole trip. It is still a challenge for folks who live in India. May be it is the notion that public transit is awful and only for the poor people, like it is in most Indian cities.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:26 pm

Idéfix wrote:
It doesn't have to be. Decide what size/features you want in the appliances. Then shop online. Buy online. They'll deliver it to your home. Installation is optional and will cost extra. It's painless.

Exactly what is stressful about washer-drying shopping for you? Figure out ways to eliminate that stress.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Bittu wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
It doesn't have to be. Decide what size/features you want in the appliances. Then shop online. Buy online. They'll deliver it to your home. Installation is optional and will cost extra. It's painless.

Exactly what is stressful about washer-drying shopping for you? Figure out ways to eliminate that stress.

If it was up to me, I would have followed those exact steps. My wife wants to see the bloody things before buying them. I might have understood that if we were talking about clothes. I don't like going to stores and talking to pushy salesmen. I don't like the fact that the models they will have on display are a very small subset of the actual choices we could have if we shopped online. I am worried that the limited choice will make her drag me to multiple stores in a wild goose chase for an ideal appliance.

I usually tend to prefer the highest level of automation available, so I never have to spend time on how many minutes to soak or dry a load at what water or air temperature, or how much water there is in the tub for the clothes I have put in it, or shit like that. She prefers less automation, and wants a washer that lets her set the size of load, etc. I will spend a lot less money going with her choice, but still the idea of passing up automation and actively choosing to engage with my laundry at that level of minutia is unpleasant to me.

But I will take the wise, high road. I will just let her pick a primitive washer and dryer of her choice and be done with it. Hopefully we can get done at the first place we go to.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Idéfix wrote: My wife wants to see the bloody things before buying them.
That's fine. Make that one trip to a big appliance store of HER choice. Spend an hour. Check out a few machines, let her feel them out. Jot down prices. Once she's happy with a certain make/model, go home and shop online while you sip on a cold glass of single malt nimbu paani :(. You'll get better prices online including delivery and installation. I did the installation myself but that's because I'm handy around the house. and around cars. and around broads.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:50 pm

Idéfix wrote:
Bittu wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

If it was up to me, I would have followed those exact steps. My wife wants to see the bloody things before buying them. I might have understood that if we were talking about clothes. I don't like going to stores and talking to pushy salesmen. I don't like the fact that the models they will have on display are a very small subset of the actual choices we could have if we shopped online. I am worried that the limited choice will make her drag me to multiple stores in a wild goose chase for an ideal appliance.

I usually tend to prefer the highest level of automation available, so I never have to spend time on how many minutes to soak or dry a load at what water or air temperature, or how much water there is in the tub for the clothes I have put in it, or shit like that. She prefers less automation, and wants a washer that lets her set the size of load, etc. I will spend a lot less money going with her choice, but still the idea of passing up automation and actively choosing to engage with my laundry at that level of minutia is unpleasant to me.

But I will take the wise, high road. I will just let her pick a primitive washer and dryer of her choice and be done with it. Hopefully we can get done at the first place we go to.
*I am passing on Jatni's contact info to your wife so that she can make wallboards saying "Only women know how to get the job done."

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Bittu wrote:
That's fine. Make that one trip to a big appliance store of HER choice. Spend an hour. Check out a few machines, let her feel them out. Jot down prices. Once she's happy with a certain make/model, go home and shop online while you sip on a cold glass of single malt nimbu paani Sad. You'll get better prices online including delivery and installation. I did the installation myself but that's because I'm handy around the house. and around cars. and around broads aunties.

*fixed*

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:40 pm

broads = aunties = same shyt, different stink.

HTHBIDID

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:49 am

Am in good ol' hyderabad. Everyone in the family is trying to move on from a tragic event that happened in the family. 
I tagged along with mom to the neighborhood families' 'perantalu' as part of  'Varalakshmi' Vratam' on friday. Collected tons of fruits, blouse pieces, bangles and prasadams. 

I am chilling for the weekend. Don't want to disturb anyone during the weekend when they'd be spending time with their families. Will call my friends on monday and meet them up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:40 am

Bittu wrote:
That's fine. Make that one trip to a big appliance store of HER choice. Spend an hour. Check out a few machines, let her feel them out. Jot down prices. Once she's happy with a certain make/model, go home and shop online while you sip on a cold glass of single malt nimbu paani Sad. You'll get better prices online including delivery and installation. I did the installation myself but that's because I'm handy around the house. and around cars. and around broads.

Thanks, that is a good plan. I think I can handle the installation and might enjoy doing it, but how do I get rid of the old washer and dryer? May be I should post them on Craigslist for free so someone will take them off my hands. Both of them work, although the dryer takes over an hour to dry a load.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:47 am

Idéfix wrote: but how do I get rid of the old washer and dryer? May be I should post them on Craigslist for free so someone will take them off my hands. Both of them work, although the dryer takes over an hour to dry a load.
I SOLD my old appliances on CL. The washer/dryer sold for $200, I got 75 for the dishwasher. Take good pictures and put as much info in the write-up. I left the appliances hooked up so that buyers could check them out and be satisfied that they work just fine. In doing this, I had a few days gap between the old appliances selling and the new ones getting installed.

One very probably cause that your dryer takes an hour is that the flexible vent could have a blockage somewhere. Check it all the way from the dryer to the outside of the house. Mine was completely blocked with cat hair at a bend 1 foot before the vent exits the house.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down