Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SI's can't even make kaju katli right...

+4
Silhouette
Hellsangel
charvaka
Kris
8 posters

Go down

SI's can't even make kaju katli right... Empty SI's can't even make kaju katli right...

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Someone brought it from somewhere there, didn't ask yet from where... ughs. (I still ate all of it).

Back to top Go down

SI's can't even make kaju katli right... Empty Re: SI's can't even make kaju katli right...

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:19 pm

but they are good with the swimsuit issue though-

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

SI's can't even make kaju katli right... Empty Re: SI's can't even make kaju katli right...

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:20 pm

Kris wrote:but they are good with the swimsuit issue though-

Smile

scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Trace, you are losin' it Smile

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/swimsuit/

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Someone brought it from somewhere there, didn't ask yet from where... ughs. (I still ate all of it).
You are proving Lukeji right. He has long claimed that NIs will diss the food SIs make, but will eat it gladly on the sly.

PS: Has anyone else noticed how Lukeji has become the most-often-mentioned-and-missed character from old CH here? Never mind the Maria fan club, TS fan club and other clubs. Of late, the only one who gets fond mentions is Lukeji!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:31 pm

its the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" dynamic

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Kris wrote:Trace, you are losin' it Smile

Aha... SI, Sports Illustrated... ju men with jur one track mind Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:41 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
You are proving Lukeji right. He has long claimed that NIs will diss the food SIs make, but will eat it gladly on the sly.

PS: Has anyone else noticed how Lukeji has become the most-often-mentioned-and-missed character from old CH here? Never mind the Maria fan club, TS fan club and other clubs. Of late, the only one who gets fond mentions is Lukeji!

In time, some things will be forgotten. History becomes legend. Legend becomes myth.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I buy it strictly for the pictures Tracy.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:43 pm

charvaka wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

no srsly. the sweet tasted of burned milk (?). I do miss Luke... like my husband's grandma who was a terror among all her DILs (Not me, I fought with her once, so she respected me - funny how bullies function).

We all remember her fondly now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:46 pm

but trace what else SIs can't make right? idli dosa?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:51 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:no srsly. the sweet tasted of burned milk (?).
Now, we really need to dig deeper and understand what happened here. What species of SI was it? Any insights into the caste, subcaste and gothram of the people involved? Also, ward number? We need these details, so we can assign the issue to the appropriate CHers.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:55 pm

Any insights into the caste, subcaste and gothram of the people involved?

>>>> I can put you in touch with someone on this. As a bonus, you will also get a rather accurate summary of the strengths and weaknesses of said community and its superiority to minority groups in the US.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 pm

charvaka wrote: PS: Has anyone else noticed how Lukeji has become the most-often-mentioned-and-missed character from old CH here? Never mind the Maria fan club, TS fan club and other clubs. Of late, the only one who gets fond mentions is Lukeji!

Luke is the only one I miss. He was one of the few whose long posts I read and was thoroughly entertained by. I enjoyed his sense of humor, more so when it was inadvertent i.e. his earnest "observations".

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:46 pm

SI's dont make Kaju Katli. They employ North Indian halwars to do it.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 pm

Btw. These came from hbad.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:02 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:Btw. These came from hbad.
There's more than one halwaai in Hyderabad. We need name, caste, subcaste, gothram, nakshatram, and ward number for a full investigation.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:04 pm

This indian american girl featured in 2010 sports illustrated swim suit issue lives (actually her parents, she off to Harvard now) in my neighborhood.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010_swimsuit/models/sonia-dara/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:09 pm

kinnera wrote:

This indian american girl featured in 2010 sports illustrated swim suit issue lives (actually her parents, she off to Harvard now) in my neighborhood.

why do they make indian models wear all that jewelry?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:14 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
kinnera wrote:

To give that ethnic look maybe? Yeah, it does seem so stupid..who'd wear jewelry with bikinis and swimsuits?

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 pm

kinnera wrote:

>>> yes, yes, Sonia-- she asks after me fondly, no doubt?

Wink

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:19 pm

Kris wrote:
kinnera wrote:

>>> yes, yes, Sonia-- she asks after me fondly, no doubt?

Wink

yeah, yeah, she sure does. Last time she was like, 'Kris! where art thou!' Told her that you can be found at forumotion, not sulekha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:25 pm

'Told her that you can be found at forumotion... not sulekha'

>>> You shouldn't have dome that. Now I have to go get a restraining order..
besides, i am still fending off anne hathaway

Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:28 pm

kinnera wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
kinnera wrote:

To give that ethnic look maybe? Yeah, it does seem so stupid..who'd wear jewelry with bikinis and swimsuits?

she looks much better in the video there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:34 pm

even other models are wearing those.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:49 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

I've to agree with this one. In general, native Southindian sweets just don't measure up to Northindian sweets. Of course, when one says Northindian, one refers to those Turkish and Persian confections (which includes kaju katli) and not the native kheers which can get their butts kicked any day by a good payasam or adaprathamam.

But the true kings of sweetmaking are the Bengalis. The sheer ingenuity involved in constructing a two-layered kheer-kadam, tricking the eater with an initial, subtle (usually rose) flavor and then springing the inner layer with its stronger, syrupy sweetness..ah..just the memory is making me salivate. And I've not even had my kaapi yet.

SI's can't even make kaju katli right... 2336700965_830a039cef
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Silhouette Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:34 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote: Of course, when one says Northindian, one refers to those Turkish and Persian confections (which includes kaju katli) and not the native kheers which can get their butts kicked any day by a good payasam or adaprathamam.

eww no. payasam is so ugh. though i don't care for kaju whatever - don't have a sweet tooth - but that payasam stuff is so gross. first time i met my sister-in-law everything was going well until she gave me some payasam. i just didn't know how to tell her i gotta throw up. tried it a few times again but it just plain sucks. the only thing worse than payasam is that kerala dessert made from jack fruit. can't recollect its name but it is by far the most terrible indian dessert i've ever had.

Silhouette

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 am

Haha..nice to hear from you. But I shall have to entirely discount your opinions on Indian sweets, given that any Indian sweet would be eww..too sweet for you.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:25 pm

actually some of the best kaju katli I had is from almond house in hyderabad.
tastes of real kaju - not the adulterated stuff you get in other places.

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:30 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:The sheer ingenuity involved in constructing a two-layered kheer-kadam, tricking the eater with an initial, subtle (usually rose) flavor and then springing the inner layer with its stronger, syrupy sweetness..ah..just the memory is making me salivate.
Yeah, they do a lot of those double sweets as I call them. Talking about Persian / Turkish sweets in India, the best ever is khoobani ka meetha, which you have with vanilla ice cream. There is nothing to beat that. Indigenous sweets like pootarekulu, bobbatlu, etc. are not very well-known outside Andhra, but they are really good too.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:33 pm

NOOBODY beats a well made kakinada kaaza. they can try, but they wont beat it.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:36 pm

charvaka wrote:Indigenous sweets like pootarekulu, bobbatlu, etc. are not very well-known outside Andhra, but they are really good too.

pootarekulu maybe but bobbatlu is well known in maharashtra (puran poli), karnataka (holige) and tamil nadu (poli).

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:02 pm

.|Sublime|. wrote:
charvaka wrote:Indigenous sweets like pootarekulu, bobbatlu, etc. are not very well-known outside Andhra, but they are really good too.

pootarekulu maybe but bobbatlu is well known in maharashtra (puran poli), karnataka (holige) and tamil nadu (poli).
Cool... didn't know that! I heard from my wife that many of the coconut-based sweets that we make are also made in Orissa.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:32 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:actually some of the best kaju katli I had is from almond house in hyderabad.
tastes of real kaju - not the adulterated stuff you get in other places.

Yes, one would expect nothing less from the Nizam's territories.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:04 am

.|Sublime|. wrote:pootarekulu maybe but bobbatlu is well known in maharashtra (puran poli), karnataka (holige) and tamil nadu (poli).

Btw, holige is also called obbattu (which sounds similar to the Telugu name) in Karnataka. And then there is a special variant: kai holige in which the chana dal filling is replaced by coconut.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
.|Sublime|. wrote:pootarekulu maybe but bobbatlu is well known in maharashtra (puran poli), karnataka (holige) and tamil nadu (poli).

Btw, holige is also called obbattu (which sounds similar to the Telugu name) in Karnataka. And then there is a special variant: kai holige in which the chana dal filling is replaced by coconut.

that's the only type they make, dont they? my wife's family doesnt even know about the bobbattu and were surprised when they ate the gult original. they use grated coconut in theirs.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 pm

aaah, you and charvaka. so lovingly talking of wives.... FF must be turning in the outer world.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:35 pm

charvaka wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:The sheer ingenuity involved in constructing a two-layered kheer-kadam, tricking the eater with an initial, subtle (usually rose) flavor and then springing the inner layer with its stronger, syrupy sweetness..ah..just the memory is making me salivate.
Yeah, they do a lot of those double sweets as I call them. Talking about Persian / Turkish sweets in India, the best ever is khoobani ka meetha, which you have with vanilla ice cream. There is nothing to beat that. Indigenous sweets like pootarekulu, bobbatlu, etc. are not very well-known outside Andhra, but they are really good too.

>>>> The one persian dessert I like is the faludeh/faluda. There is a combo with persian ice cream. There is a restaurant in Berkeley, Papa something or the other- used to be anyway- worth going to just because of this. The only caveat is there is some extra something in it, I think, that puts you to sleep right away.

On another note, I am confused - poli is made only in the southern states (+ maharashtra)? I thought this is pretty much a national dish, with regional variations. I like the puran type, but there is another one where it is soaked in milk, which I used to love as a kid.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Kris wrote:The one persian dessert I like is the faludeh/faluda. There is a combo with persian ice cream. There is a restaurant in Berkeley, Papa something or the other- used to be anyway- worth going to just because of this. The only caveat is there is some extra something in it, I think, that puts you to sleep right away.
Have you been to Alborz on Center at Shattuck, near the BART station? We go there at least once a month. We used to frequent their location in the city on Van Ness at Geary when we lived there. They serve excellent faluda with ice-cream. Another surprising place for really good faluda is a Burmese restaurant called Mandalay in the Richmond in the city (California at 6th.) I guess faluda made its way to Burma through India; they called it paluda there. Haven't yet found a good Burmese restaurant on this side of the bridge.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Will check out Alborz, next time I am in Berkeley. Thanks for the reco. I don't know if I'd like Burmese- is it close to thai, spice-wise? I have heard of Mandalay though. If it is like other asian cuisines, my wife would like that. Of late, the slanted door is one of her favorites in the city, but invariably I steer her clear of it in the direction of something in north beach whenever we go to the city.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Burmese is like a cross between Indian and Thai. They use both Indian and Thai spices... not much basil though, so I'd say it's closer to Indian than it is to Thai.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:10 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

that's the only type they make, dont they? my wife's family doesnt even know about the bobbattu and were surprised when they ate the gult original. they use grated coconut in theirs.

That's very strange. I can't think of any part of Karnataka where kai holige exists to the exclusion of the regular holige. My theory is that your in-laws simply discarded the conventional holige as too boring a few generations ago, so the present generation is not even aware of the regular variety. I certainly endorse such selective propagation - the kai holige can run circles around the plain vanilla version any day.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down