Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a historical sense

+3
Rishi
truthbetold
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

a historical sense Empty a historical sense

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:22 am

http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/art-culture/a-historical-sense

i discovered this writer when i tried to figure out who tavleen singh was, the author of the indian express articles on toilet politics that rishi posted. i love his writing! his voice is distinctly NOT of someone who is only thirty three. i am going to put his novels on my reading list.

this article also gives me insight on why urban northindians, of the delhi-punjabi kind in particular, make fun of hardcore sanskritic southern indian names.

The place I grew up in was not just culturally denuded, but—and this is to be expected, for we can only value what we have the means to assess—it held its past in contempt. Urdu was given some token respect—though no one really bothered to learn it—but Sanskrit was actively mocked and despised. It was as if the very sound of the language had become debased. People recoiled from names that were too Sanskritic, dismissing them as lower class: ‘Narindar,’ someone might say, ‘what a driver’s name!’ They preferred Armaan and Zhyra and Alaaya. The Sanskrit teacher in most elite schools was a figure of fun. And people took great joy at having come out of a school, such as The Doon School, say, without having learnt any more Sanskrit than a derisive little rhyme about flatulence.
southern indians have been the true keepers of sanskrit and its literary traditions.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

a historical sense Empty Re: a historical sense

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:29 am

this here is a little gem:

I thought it no less interesting to observe the little jumps of meaning a root made as it travelled over the Indo-European belt. Take vertere, ‘to turn’, from the old Latin uortere: we have it in Sanskrit too: vrt, vartate: ‘to turn, turn round, revolve, roll; to be, to live, to exist, to abide and dwell’. It is related to the German werden—‘to become’. From where we have the Old English wyrd—‘fate, destiny’; but also werde: ‘death’. That extra layer of meaning restored, it was impossible ever to think of Shakespeare’s ‘weird sisters’ from Macbeth in the same way again.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:52 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/art-culture/a-historical-sense

i discovered this writer when i tried to figure out who tavleen singh was, the author of the indian express articles on toilet politics that rishi posted. i love his writing! his voice is distinctly NOT of someone who is only thirty three. i am going to put his novels on my reading list.

this article also gives me insight on why urban northindians, of the delhi-punjabi kind in particular, make fun of hardcore sanskritic southern indian names.

The place I grew up in was not just culturally denuded, but—and this is to be expected, for we can only value what we have the means to assess—it held its past in contempt. Urdu was given some token respect—though no one really bothered to learn it—but Sanskrit was actively mocked and despised. It was as if the very sound of the language had become debased. People recoiled from names that were too Sanskritic, dismissing them as lower class: ‘Narindar,’ someone might say, ‘what a driver’s name!’ They preferred Armaan and Zhyra and Alaaya. The Sanskrit teacher in most elite schools was a figure of fun. And people took great joy at having come out of a school, such as The Doon School, say, without having learnt any more Sanskrit than a derisive little rhyme about flatulence.
southern indians have been the true keepers of sanskrit and its literary traditions.
Balderdash. North India has produced a galaxy of brilliant Sanskrit scholars down the ages. With respect to names, Bengalis and Oriyas typically have sanskritic names. Like Suhasini, Manasvini, etc. They are not southerners,

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:53 am

this book should appeal to modi's sisterhood of saffron pants on SUCH:

http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-History-Journey-through-Islamic/dp/155597628X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381074400&sr=8-1&keywords=aatish+taseer

their divergent views on the degree of religious extremism in pakistan and its future was one of the main sources of friction between aatish taseer and his father.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this book should appeal to modi's sisterhood of saffron pants on SUCH:

http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-History-Journey-through-Islamic/dp/155597628X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381074400&sr=8-1&keywords=aatish+taseer

their divergent views on the degree of religious extremism in pakistan and its future was one of the main sources of friction between aatish taseer and his father.
Modi acolytes would do better to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Narendra-Modi-The-Man-Times/dp/9382618473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381075500&sr=8-1&keywords=Narendra+Modi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:12 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this book should appeal to modi's sisterhood of saffron pants on SUCH:

Modi acolytes would do better to read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Narendra-Modi-The-Man-Times/dp/9382618473/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1381075500&sr=8-1&keywords=Narendra+Modi
i was being sarcastic. the excerpts of taseer's book read like a young man discovering part of his roots (or parts of it) in pakistan and coming away horrified at how things have deteriorated. young taseer sounds like a serious writer with a voice matured well beyond his thirty three years. i look forward to reading his books.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Max,
If your excerpt is a representation of the author you are talking about, I heard similar sentiments in south, that is if you consider andhra pradesh as south. The divide is not north or south but it is more like brahmins /non brahmins. Indian middles class aping of west assisted by the derisive commentaries of missionary schools led to a negative sentiment towards non value added cultural icons, ie Sanskrit. Brahmins are probably the only group that actively pursue learning Sanskrit along with few individuals who are interested in languages and linguistics.
as Indian middle class became more affluent, more non brahmins are turning to Sanskrit and other Indian cultural tools.
Your north /south divide is your effort to fit facts to match your prejudice.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:51 pm

But there was something else. In India, where history had heaped confusion upon confusion, where everything was shoddy and haphazard and unplanned, the structure of Sanskrit, with its exquisite planning, was proof that it had not always been that way. It was like a little molecule of the Indian genius, intact, and saved in amber, for a country from which the memory of genius had departed.

>>>> Fantastic.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Rishi wrote:But there was something else. In India, where history had heaped confusion upon confusion, where everything was shoddy and haphazard and unplanned, the structure of Sanskrit, with its exquisite planning, was proof that it had not always been that way. It was like a little molecule of the Indian genius, intact, and saved in amber, for a country from which the memory of genius had departed.

>>>> Fantastic.
i think a while back someone (was it you?) posted an article by him on why his late father hated india. he was the ex governor of punjab province in pakistan and was assassinated in cold blood by his own bodyguard who was upset with him for criticizing pakistan's blasphemy law.  this morning when i came to learn of the younger taseer's book i wondered if his father had read his book and if that had a role in his outspoken criticism of the blasphemy law. looks like someone else, another modern indian master i respect a lot, also had the same thought.

amitav ghosh wrote:Did Salman Taseer’s encounter with his own half-Sikh, half-Indian son play a part in prompting him to stand up for tolerance and pluralism in Pakistan? Had he read the book and was he perhaps trying to address his son’s judgement of him? It is impossible not to wonder. - See more at: http://amitavghosh.com/blog/?p=4705#sthash.PUba5zdG.dpuf

Last edited by MaxEntropy_Man on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:57 pm

truthbetold wrote:Max,
If your excerpt is a representation of the author you are talking about,  I heard similar sentiments in south,  that is if you consider andhra pradesh as south. The divide is not north or south but it is more like brahmins /non brahmins. Indian middles class aping of west assisted by the derisive commentaries of missionary schools led to a negative sentiment towards non value added cultural icons,  ie Sanskrit. Brahmins are probably the only group that actively pursue learning Sanskrit along with few individuals who are interested in languages and linguistics.
as Indian middle class became more affluent,  more non brahmins are turning to Sanskrit and other Indian cultural tools.
brahmin v non-brahmin is your favorite hobby horse i understand.  i don't have much interest in that.

that said, when i say keepers of sanskritic traditions, i don't mean just the language but also the the spirit of the vedas, the puranas, and the upanishads which found expression in chaste tamil in the poetry of the AzhwArs and the nAyanAars. in fact the guys who uphold the tradition of chanting the thEvAram in TN saivite temples are not the brahmins but of the OthuvAr caste. even tamil christians have sanskritized names.  there are many more examples like that. so i don't feel much inclined to modify anything i wrote. i am sure there are examples like that in telugu too. perhaps idefix can throw some light when he reads this thread.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:39 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.openthemagazine.com/article/art-culture/a-historical-sense

Balderdash. North India has produced a galaxy of brilliant Sanskrit scholars down the ages. With respect to names, Bengalis and Oriyas typically have sanskritic names. Like Suhasini, Manasvini, etc. They are not southerners,
A clarification: with the partial exception of Punjab ( Bunty, Goldie, etc )all NI's have sanskritic names. The difference is that in Bengal, Orissa, and SI many people have fairly long sanskritic names. In the rest of India the sanskritic names tend to be shorter. Generally speaking of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Max,
If your excerpt is a representation of the author you are talking about,  I heard similar sentiments in south,  that is if you consider andhra pradesh as south. The divide is not north or south but it is more like brahmins /non brahmins. Indian middles class aping of west assisted by the derisive commentaries of missionary schools led to a negative sentiment towards non value added cultural icons,  ie Sanskrit. Brahmins are probably the only group that actively pursue learning Sanskrit along with few individuals who are interested in languages and linguistics.
as Indian middle class became more affluent,  more non brahmins are turning to Sanskrit and other Indian cultural tools.
brahmin v non-brahmin is your favorite hobby horse i understand.  i don't have much interest in that.

that said, when i say keepers of sanskritic traditions, i don't mean just the language but also the the spirit of the vedas, the puranas, and the upanishads which found expression in chaste tamil in the poetry of the AzhwArs and the nAyanAars. in fact the guys who uphold the tradition of chanting the thEvAram in TN saivite temples are not the brahmins but of the OthuvAr caste. even tamil christians have sanskritized names.  there are many more examples like that. so i don't feel much inclined to modify anything i wrote. i am sure there are examples like that in telugu too. perhaps idefix can throw some light when he reads this thread.
North Indians were the ones who helped popularize and propagate the ( in my opinion incorrect ) ideas of the malayali Adi Sankara. Sankara's interpretation of Vedas, Upanisads, etc was rejected in his native Kerala where the Mimansa school continued to remain the dominant school of Hindu philosophy.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:56 pm

it's funny to see someone calling Adi shankarA a malayALi! there was no such distinct language as malayALam in the eighth century.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Rishi wrote:But there was something else. In India, where history had heaped confusion upon confusion, where everything was shoddy and haphazard and unplanned, the structure of Sanskrit, with its exquisite planning, was proof that it had not always been that way. It was like a little molecule of the Indian genius, intact, and saved in amber, for a country from which the memory of genius had departed.

>>>> Fantastic.
>>Absolutely, this is a very astute observation and the writing is incisive and brilliant. This guy is definitely on my reading list.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's funny to see someone calling Adi shankarA a malayALi! there was no such distinct language as malayALam in the eighth century.
All right, a native of Kerala, and not a malayali. Culturally, present day Kerala had become distinct from TN by the time of Sankara. For instance, the Mimansa philosophy ( under the influence of the Namboodari Brahmins ) was the dominant philosophy during and long after the times of Adi Sankara while this was not the case in what is now TN.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:50 pm

"And in those early days of learning Sanskrit, the shared genesis of these languages of a common source, spoken somewhere on the Pontic steppe in the third millennium BC, a source which had decayed and of which no direct record remains, absorbed me completely. Well, almost completely. The grammar was spectacularly difficult and, in that first year, it just kept mushrooming—besides three genders, three numbers and eight cases for every noun, there were several classes of verbs, in both an active and middle voice, each with three numbers and three persons, so that in just the present system, with its moods and the imperfect, I was obliged to memorise 72 terminations for a single verb alone." .... from the above link

>>> Did he or did he not read the the following web-links?

(1) "Sanskrit and the Sruti" .. http://www.geocities.ws/lamberdar/sanskrit_sruti.html

(2) "About the origins of Vedas and Sanskrit (including Aryan Invasion Theory)"..
http://creative.sulekha.com/about-the-origins-of-vedas-and-sanskrit-including-aryan-invasion-theory_591513_blog
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:59 pm

Max
your defence is lame. I am stating what I saw in ap and to a limited extent tn and karnataka. If my observations were incorrect or incomplete, I am open to learn.
you try to turn my observations into a controversy and fail to present counter facts.

Your seem to think brahmins carrying the burden of Indian culture is somehow wrong. I do think brahmins exclusivity is wrong and arrogant and a relic of Indian past, I have stated that I appreciate brahmin contribution to Indian languages and culture is immense and must be appreciated. Those language and cultural foundations have helped Indian middle class to master the. New world after Indian independence.
Unlike your closed mind, I recognize positive contributions and applaud. I also do not mince words in my criticism.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:10 pm

an obit written for his father when the emotions must have been still raw:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8248162/The-killer-of-my-father-Salman-Taseer-was-showered-with-rose-petals-by-fanatics.-How-could-they-do-this.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:it's funny to see someone calling Adi shankarA a malayALi! there was no such distinct language as malayALam in the eighth century.
All right, a native of Kerala, and not a malayali. Culturally, present day Kerala had become distinct from TN by the time of Sankara. For instance, the Mimansa philosophy ( under the influence of the Namboodari Brahmins ) was the dominant philosophy during and long after the times of Adi Sankara while this was not the case in what is now TN.
In the eighth century, there was no Kerala either.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:51 pm

truthbetold wrote:I also do not mince words in my criticism.
i know that. they come pre-minced as they leave your keyboard.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:an obit written for his father when the emotions must have been still raw:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/8248162/The-killer-of-my-father-Salman-Taseer-was-showered-with-rose-petals-by-fanatics.-How-could-they-do-this.html
>>> I was not surprised when they did that.

Swami Sharddhanand, a Hindu reformer and an Arya Samaj leader was killed in 1926 by a Muslim fanatic. It is also relevant to mention that Arya Samaj opened up vedic schools to teach sanskrit to non-brahmins.

Shraddanand tried to bring back non-Hindus back to the religion of their forefathers. He was killed by a Muslim. There is a park in Pakistan which used to be called as Shraddhanand park. After partition, it was renamed after the killer of the swami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Shraddhanand

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:an obit written for his father when the emotions must have been still raw:

And when finally my father sought the repeal of the laws that had condemned her, the laws that had become an instrument of oppression in the hands of a majority against its minority, he could not say that the source of the laws, the faith, had no place in a modern society; he had to find a way to make people believe that the religion had been distorted, even though the religion – in the way that only these Books can be – was clear as day about what was meant.

>>>
The son spoke the truth about his father's religion.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>> I was not surprised when they did that.

Swami Sharddhanand, a Hindu reformer and an Arya Samaj leader was killed in 1926 by a Muslim fanatic. It is also relevant to mention that Arya Samaj opened up vedic schools to teach sanskrit to non-brahmins.

Shraddanand tried to bring back non-Hindus back to the religion of their forefathers. He was killed by a Muslim. There is a park in Pakistan which used to be called as Shraddhanand park. After partition, it was renamed after the killer of the swami.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Shraddhanand
And where one day there might have been a street named after him, there will be one named after Malik Mumtaz Qadri, my father's boy-assassin.

>>> No. I don't think there will be a street named after Mr. Taseer. But there sure will be one named after his killer.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:36 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Max,
I am sure I will hit few keystrokes wrong soon. You will be waiting to pounce on those errors with the vengeance of a highly educated Sanskrit scholar. Somehow that proves your superior ability to defend your prejudiced arguments.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:35 am

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Max,
I am sure I will hit few keystrokes wrong soon. You will be waiting to pounce on those errors with the vengeance of a highly educated Sanskrit scholar. Somehow that proves your superior ability to defend your prejudiced arguments.
Max,

Seriously speaking, I think what TBT said about brahmins has a lot of truth to it.

He himself says that his observations about brahmins is based on what happened in A.P and Karnataka.

1. In TN, the DK/DMK crowd  because of its hatred towards Brahmins, propagated and sustained antipathy towards Sanskrit by branding it to be North Indian/Aryan/Brahminical language. That is why there was such a fervor towards getting rid of any Tamil words that had origins in Sanskrit. While I agree that it is better to have poojas done in Tamil, it will be a good idea to encourage people there learn Sanskrit in schools.

2. In Kerala, the study of Sanskrit was encouraged across caste lines. Malayalam is heavily rooted in Sanskrit. So Sanskrit has been taught in schools all over Karala. People there do not think of Sanskrit as a language of Brahmins.  I know many non-brahmins from Kerala well versed in Sanskrit. The study and recital of Bhagavatham and Narayaneeyam happens all across the caste line.

3. Regarding A.P and Karanataka, what TBT says is correct. Also unlike what happened in TN, Telugus and Kannadigas do not hate Sanskrit because brahmin priests there recite sanskrit mantras.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:47 pm

this guy writes clearly and is intense without being self conscious of his command of the english language. he could be VS naipaul's successor except that VS is one of a kind.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:13 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:this guy writes clearly and is intense without being self conscious of his command of the english language.
absolutely. i think i'll start with his one non fiction book first.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:43 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:this guy writes clearly and is intense without being self conscious of his command of the english language. he could be VS naipaul's successor except that VS is one of a kind.
>>>I want to read his work on the journey through the Islamic world, for an apples-apples comparison with VSN's 'Among the Believers'. According to Wiki, VSN thinks he is a writer worth watching. I see the same eye for the absurd in him that VSN has.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down