Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NY Pizza

3 posters

Go down

NY Pizza Empty NY Pizza

Post by Petrichor Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:03 pm

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-february-3-2014/exclusive---bill-de-blasio-extended-interview-pt--1?xrs=share_copy

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

NY Pizza Empty Re: NY Pizza

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 pm

wow, that's messed up, how on earth did he become the mayor? jon has this habit of righting all wrongs, thank goodness!

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:09 pm

actually, now I remember when I was visiting sis in ma, she made me eat with a fork and knife. all those hyper over-educated liberals eat like that. surely you do the same.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:19 pm

>>surely you do the same.

only to mess with you.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:35 pm

actually i had a question for you: can you do post-bacc biochem in 3 mos, intern for a year in non-elective ER surgeries on weekends, have a mcat score half a sd away from average on the +ve side, and hope to land at a top 10?

ps. national avg is 29, institutional avg is 33; i meant the latter

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:03 pm

Petrichor wrote:actually i had a question for you: can you do post-bacc biochem in 3 mos, intern for a year in non-elective ER surgeries on weekends, have a mcat score half a sd away from average on the +ve side, and hope to land at a top 10?

I can ask my cousin and let you know.

Are you trying to go to medical school?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
Petrichor wrote:actually i had a question for you: can you do post-bacc biochem in 3 mos, intern for a year in non-elective ER surgeries on weekends, have a mcat score half a sd away from average on the +ve side, and hope to land at a top 10?

well, you need to have good scores but the things that matter the most to get into a top 10 are where you're coming from (which undergrad institute, who your advisor was for research, if anything got published). while you can intern on weekends in the ER to get a feel for what you're soon going to be doing - I mean that is essential, it will only place you in the playing field with the rest of the competition but not necessarily give you an edge. Your interview has to go well, I'm worried for you in this area: you have to learn to speak in middle-class English. The interviewer has to understand you and you should come off as friendly, understanding and motivated.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Since I know everything:

MCAT of 35+ will catch their eye.

With a good GPA of around 3.5 from a well-recognized UG college, one will get an interview.

Now, the real thingie... The top 10 (????) even the top 25 forget all those data during interviews and see how well the candidate does the interview - usually it is 3 or 4 30-min meetings including informal Senior students (who observe and report back through surveys). #10 is Univ of Michigan/Columbia. Also, for state schools the residency matters. A scholarship/award during UG helps with top 20.

So there.... you have this with my seal of authority.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:01 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:

well, you need to have good scores but the things that matter the most to get into a top 10 are where you're coming from (which undergrad institute, who your advisor was for research, if anything got published). while you can intern on weekends in the ER to get a feel for what you're soon going to be doing - I mean that is essential, it will only place you in the playing field with the rest of the competition but not necessarily give you an edge. Your interview has to go well, I'm worried for you in this area: you have to learn to speak in middle-class English. The interviewer has to understand you and you should come off as friendly, understanding and motivated.

Petri is not going to med school. he is asking for "someone else."

Petri will consider only if I ever decide to go to med school...Razz

But, what you said - rather your cousin says - is almost correct.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down