Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Satya Nadella's spoken Engish

+3
bw
Hellsangel
swapna
7 posters

Go down

Satya Nadella's spoken Engish Empty Satya Nadella's spoken Engish

Post by swapna Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:17 pm

...can be understood easily  by everyone who knows English. He speaks clearly in a mildly American accent that is free of regional Indian peculiarities and distortions. He sounds like an American who learned to moderate his American accent when he spent several years outside America with the Peace Corps. It's hard to understand the English spoken by the Indian-American, typical of whom is Vinod Khosla. One can't say the same about Nadella.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Satya Nadella's spoken Engish Empty Re: Satya Nadella's spoken Engish

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Congratulations, Achachan Ammachi. You learned to edit your posts.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:30 pm

swapna wrote:...can be understood easily  by everyone who knows English. He speaks clearly in a mildly American accent that is free of regional Indian peculiarities and distortions. He sounds like an American who learned to moderate his American accent when he spent several years outside America with the Peace Corps. It's hard to understand the English spoken by the Indian-American, typical of whom is Vinod Khosla. One can't say the same about Nadella.

what sort of accent do you have, swapna? you are not an indian, if i recall right.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:56 pm

i do know other people from hyd public school and they also have very polished accents - the elite indian school accent.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:05 am

bw wrote:
swapna wrote:...can be understood easily  by everyone who knows English. He speaks clearly in a mildly American accent that is free of regional Indian peculiarities and distortions. He sounds like an American who learned to moderate his American accent when he spent several years outside America with the Peace Corps. It's hard to understand the English spoken by the Indian-American, typical of whom is Vinod Khosla. One can't say the same about Nadella.

what sort of accent do you have, swapna? you are not an indian, if i recall right.
mine is san franciscan catholic girls' school, and largely irrelevant. Yours?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:19 am

bw wrote:i do know other people from hyd public school and they also have very polished accents - the elite indian school accent.
Jai says that there's no such thing, and that you have to subject a lawrence school alum to slow torture to get him to admit that he attended that school.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:27 am

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:

mine is san franciscan catholic girls' school, and largely irrelevant. Yours?

oh, mine is the typical, polished, indian english with no 'that wonly' and 'that and all'.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:29 am

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:i do know other people from hyd public school and they also have very polished accents - the elite indian school accent.
Jai says that there's no such thing, and that you have to subject a lawrence school alum to slow torture to get him to admit that he attended that school.

lawrence school products usually don't have very good accents. i wasn't thinking of it as an elite school but more a rich kids' school.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:40 am

swapna wrote:

What school did Jai Ho attend, Achachan Ammachi?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:36 am

bw wrote:
swapna wrote:

lawrence school products usually don't have very good accents. i wasn't thinking of it as an elite school but more a rich kids' school.
I hadn't been thinking about elite schools at all.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:53 pm

>> I have just listened to him in a couple of clips for brief intervals. It seems like more or less standard American English with a few words that make him sound foreign. I have not heard Khosla. If he doesn't sound similar to Nadella,  that is surprising after years in an English speaking country much of which has presumably involved customer interface.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Kris wrote:
>> I have just listened to him in a couple of clips for brief intervals. It seems like more or less standard American English with a few words that make him sound foreign. I have not heard Khosla. If he doesn't sound similar to Nadella,  that is surprising after years in an English speaking country much of which has presumably involved customer interface.

>>>Khosla fellow sounds like a typical NI.

He is also a "my country"  fellow. Saw him on 60 minutes pushing ethanol research so "his country" will become less dependent on oil imports. He was trying to sove "his country's" energy crisis.

Btw read what he is doing to Californians:  http://www.npr.org/2014/01/27/264901370/california-fights-billionaire-s-keep-out-sign-for-beach-access

Last edited by Rishi on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Rishi wrote:
Kris wrote:

He is also a "my country"  fellow. Saw him on 60 minutes pushing ethanol research so "his country" will become less dependent on oil imports. He was trying to sove "his country's" energy crisis.

Btw read what he is doing to Californians:  http://www.npr.org/2014/01/27/264901370/california-fights-billionaire-s-keep-out-sign-for-beach-access

boy looks like you really got your panties in a twist over that! never seen you so worked up over anything like that before. every other post of yours has a reference to this. sorry i messed you up so badly.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:
Kris wrote:

boy looks like you really got your panties in a twist over that! never seen you so worked up over anything like that before. every other post of yours has a reference to this. sorry i messed you up so badly.

Max,

Just calm down.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:27 pm

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:
swapna wrote:

jai? what happened to raj? update us please. also, what accents do raj and jai have?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:45 pm

bw wrote:
swapna wrote:
bw wrote:
swapna wrote:

jai? what happened to raj? update us please. also, what accents do raj and jai have?

Oh Come On. It is Jairaj.
Edit: Adding the obligatory Rashmun *yawn*

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down