Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New name for residual Andhra Pradesh

+5
b_A
southindian
smArtha
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
indophile
9 posters

Go down

New name for residual Andhra Pradesh Empty New name for residual Andhra Pradesh

Post by indophile Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 am

What would be a good name for the residual AP once Telangana goes its way?

Seemandhra --- Not a good compound word (Seema is Telugu and Andhra is Sanskrit). On top of that, the word “Seema” has two meanings in Telugu – “a place/area” and also “foreign” (seema-tapaakaaya, seema-pandi, seema-kodi, seema-dora).

Telugu Desam – Same problem as Seemandhra. And also no political party except Naidu’s will support that name (He may use the slogan "Telugu Desaniki Telugu Desam").

Andhra Pradesh (continue with the old name) – Originally when the state was carved out of the old Madras Presidency, it was simply called “Andhra,” and when Hyderabad (the present Telangana) was added in 1956 it became “Andhra Pradesh.” Now that Hyderabad / Telangana went its separate way, the state should drop the “Pradesh” and get back to its original “Andhra” name, if anything. 

Telugu Naadu – It’s a pure Telugu compound with no Sanskrit. It would have been a great name back in 1956 (instead of Andhra Pradesh), but it’s not distinctive enough today since there is another state right next door (Telangana) that is also technically a Telugu-naadu.

Andhra Raashtram --- I will vote for that name. It is Sanskrit+Sanskrit (with no mixing of lanuages), very distinctive (there are plenty of Pradeshes, Sthans, Lands, Khands, etc., but no Rashtra in India)      

indophile

Back to top Go down

New name for residual Andhra Pradesh Empty Re: New name for residual Andhra Pradesh

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:24 am

...since this state will be devastated annually by cyclones call it Cyclone desam (use appropriate telugu word for it).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

New name for residual Andhra Pradesh Empty Re: New name for residual Andhra Pradesh

Post by indophile Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
...since this state will be devastated annually by cyclones call it Cyclone desam (use appropriate telugu word for it).
Nope. Same problem, i.e., not distinctive enough, Cyclones hit all the way from Madras to Calcutta -- Madras, coastal AP, Orissa, Bengal, and Bangladesh too.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:29 am

How about 'Andhra Desam' with a political, economical and administrative autonomy - make their laws, negotiate bilateral agreements directly with other sovereign nations or corporations, ownership on their resources, basically everything except having their own army and Indian Army protecting it as if part of India. Isn't something on these lines doing rounds on the news when the bill was passed in LS

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:46 am

If "Andhra Desam," then it should be a real Desam with own Army / Navy/ Air Force, a PM, a President, Customs, Passports, Visas, etc.
Otherwise "Rashtram" appears okay. Of course, the counter argument could be - why is Rajasthan a Sthan? It doesn't have a sovereign status like a Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Kazhakstan, etc.?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:54 am

Someone suggested "Andhra Khand" or "Sonia Andhra." Andhra Khand declares that it is a piece cut away from Greater Andhra (Uttarakhand, Jhadkhand, Bundelkhand (Jhansi-ki-Rani), etc.) which it is, and Sonia Andhra preserves its popular acronym (SA), and makes it an easier sell for foreign investment, and most importantly memorializes its founder by inlaying her name into its own name.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

indophile wrote:What would be a good name for the residual AP once Telangana goes its way?

Seemandhra --- Not a good compound word (Seema is Telugu and Andhra is Sanskrit). On top of that, the word “Seema” has two meanings in Telugu – “a place/area” and also “foreign” (seema-tapaakaaya, seema-pandi, seema-kodi, seema-dora).

Telugu Desam – Same problem as Seemandhra. And also no political party except Naidu’s will support that name (He may use the slogan "Telugu Desaniki Telugu Desam").

Andhra Pradesh (continue with the old name) – Originally when the state was carved out of the old Madras Presidency, it was simply called “Andhra,” and when Hyderabad (the present Telangana) was added in 1956 it became “Andhra Pradesh.” Now that Hyderabad / Telangana went its separate way, the state should drop the “Pradesh” and get back to its original “Andhra” name, if anything. 

Telugu Naadu – It’s a pure Telugu compound with no Sanskrit. It would have been a great name back in 1956 (instead of Andhra Pradesh), but it’s not distinctive enough today since there is another state right next door (Telangana) that is also technically a Telugu-naadu.

Andhra Raashtram --- I will vote for that name. It is Sanskrit+Sanskrit (with no mixing of lanuages), very distinctive (there are plenty of Pradeshes, Sthans, Lands, Khands, etc., but no Rashtra in India)      

How about "Aadha Andhra" or "Sagaṁ Andhra"
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:21 pm

My vote is for AndhraSeema.Or we can call it Andhrapradesam. We should ditch the hindi sounding pradesh.
What we want doesn't matter anyway as the sycophant and dumbo politicos will agree to a non-sensical idiotic sounding name.
Among other state names , I like Maharashtra best. Sounds majestic and also apt. Not overly chauvinistic sounding and at the same time phonetically close to maratha satisfying the local population. We should think about such a name.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 pm

Who is changing the name? the residual state will be called andra pradesh according to t bill.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:00 pm

Didn't Bihar, UP and other states that were split up retain their original names?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:45 pm

b_A wrote:My vote is for AndhraSeema.Or we can call it Andhrapradesam. We should ditch the hindi sounding pradesh.
What we want doesn't matter anyway as the sycophant and dumbo politicos will agree to a non-sensical idiotic sounding name.
Among other state names , I like Maharashtra best. Sounds majestic and also apt. Not overly chauvinistic sounding and at the same time phonetically close to maratha satisfying the local population. We should think about such a name.

IMO, 'Andhra Desam' or 'Andhra Rashtram' are telugu enough and better sounding than 'pradesam'.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:11 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Didn't Bihar, UP and other states that were split up retain their original names?
Yes, Bihar was always Bihar, UP was always UP, MP was always MP, etc.
But Andhra Pradesh was Andhra first (1953), and Andhra Pradesh later (1956 when Hyderabad was added). Now that Hyderabad is cut away, so it's back to Andhra. But Rayala Seemans may not like it to be called simply Andhra. They might feel left out. So the renaming ceremony.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:28 pm

truthbetold wrote:Who is changing the name? the residual state will be called andra pradesh according to t bill.
We are. We firmly believe the physical difference should be reflected in the name, and name should follow shame (or fame). A girl named Aishwarya should not be dirt poor, and Appalamma should not be Bollywood heroine.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:32 pm

indophile wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Who is changing the name? the residual state will be called andra pradesh according to t bill.
We are. We firmly believe the physical difference should be reflected in the name, and name should follow shame (or fame). A girl named Aishwarya should not be dirt poor, and Appalamma should not be Bollywood heroine.
ok. for a moment i thought the state is looking for a name.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:36 pm

The divided state looks like kind of Italy map and telugu is called kind of Italian of the east and the high command is Italian so why not call it "ITALANDHRA?" Just saying.

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:18 pm

I like andhraseema. sounds right.
indo
It would nice if someone takes initiative and sends a list of names with brief explanation to the new government. there may be an intelligent soul on the other side if we are lucky.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:52 pm

truthbetold wrote:I like andhraseema. sounds right.
Of course you would. Aren't we same?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:57 pm

My vote is for Seemandhra or Andhraseema.

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:59 pm

Kinnera wrote:My vote is for Seemandhra or Andhraseema.

With Seemandhra, we lose the alphabetic advantage. May not make much difference but still ....

I thought of Rayalandhra too but dropped the idea for the same reason.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:03 pm

Andhraseema makes more semantic sense. But I still prefer - Andhra Desam or Andhra Rastram.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:21 pm

smArtha wrote:

Andhraseema makes more semantic sense. But I still prefer - Andhra Desam or Andhra Rastram.
It will be the same problem as before. If you don't include 'rayalaseema' in the naming of the new state, the folks over there will feel alienated and are going to demand a separate state within a few years.

You can't go around educating ppl that andhra actually means telugu, not a region. Whatever the original sense the word was used for, it's a current established notion that it represents a region, not a language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:16 pm

The name won't change in the gazette. If the state wants to change it later on, they need to introduce it in the assembly. Why rake up unnecessary issues?

Instead, discuss on how to build a prosperous state.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down