Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

winter olympics

4 posters

Go down

winter olympics Empty winter olympics

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:01 am

have you been watching? i've enjoyed watching some of it as time allowed. this youngster who won last night at the slalom, upstaging a 32 year old veteran is very special i think:

http://www.boston.com/sports/other_sports/olympics/extras/olympics_blog/2014/02/mikaela_shiffrin_has_the_golden_recipe.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

winter olympics Empty Re: winter olympics

Post by Maria S Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:04 am

Have been following only Pairs- Ice Dancing and Women's Figure Skating.

Although there is some controversy about the Russian gold medal winner Adelina..I thought she was technically super - and superior than the predicted winner, Korean world championship winner Yuna. 

Speaking of superior..I have not had a favorite Ice dancing pair after the legendary British pair- Torville and Dean..to this day, their Olympic performance to the haunting musical piece "Bolero"..has no comparison!  

However, when I heard about the journey of American ice dancers Davis and White to the Olympics..two kutties growing up and skating together since they 3 or 4? - their personal friendship..and their presence on ice- appeared to be something special..so I was keeping up..and they are on my new favorites list..wanted them to win, was thrilled to see them win the first- well deserved Olympic gold medals in Ice Dancing for the USA!

*To me..Ice Dancing..is so sensual and beautiful to watch..a man and woman so synchronized and almost perfect when they unite:) Physically and emotionally working so hard, as they are doing their part (!) while always having thinking about their partner..keeping up..great credit to the man who has to lift, support and let the woman gently go..and great credit to the woman who has to "trust" the man..be confident that he will be there for her..when it counts- make her look spectacular, making them both special partners- can't think of another "competitive sport", where a couple has to be so athletic and artistic on the world stage! "Pair figure skating" is hard too..but, it's more athletic, while the artistry in ice dancing..makes it more pleasurable - sensual to watch:)

While the Sochi performances of Davis and White was super..liked this one from some time ago..performing to:

Phantom of the Opera:

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:14 am

i know it involves a great deal of physical strength and skill, but it's difficult for me to accept anything that is not judged solely on the basis of an objective measure as a true sport or athletic category. it's good fun to watch figure skating though. there is some loosy goosiness in the way ski jumping (the ballsiest of events IMO) is judged, and i think they should just get rid of the loosy goosiness. whoever jumps the longest wins.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:42 am

Sure, to Max- his own:)

Although, I don't look for ski jumping to watch, if I come across it..will watch..even some skateboard acrobatics! Nice to watch for some time.

Speaking of talents..on a different note, can play the piano (well, imo), a few other instruments- just a little (not so great)..wanted to learn to play the mandolin..but, did not get around to it.

You may be familiar with the mandolin player U Srinivas..was listening to his "Thillana", thought he was good. Apparently he has been in music events with Miles Davis and other great artists. 

*His story is unusual too..apparently he claimed mental cruelty by his wife, took her to the SC of India, proved his case and paid 50 lakhs..to divorce her (that's a nice amount for a woman who the *court agreed, mentally tortured a man!)

Have a good day!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:01 pm

Maria S wrote:
*His story is unusual too..apparently he claimed mental cruelty by his wife, took her to the SC of India, proved his case and paid 50 lakhs..to divorce her (that's a nice amount for a woman who the *court agreed, mentally tortured a man!)

Have a good day!

>>>How exactly was she mentally cruel to him?

Did she stop making coffee for him?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Here are the kombolete details RishiwaaL:

Read items 4, 5, 6, 7, and more

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:49 pm

http://indiankanoon.org/doc/73219244/

The truth is it was the Manolin fellow and his parents were the ones who inflicted mental cruelty on this poor girl.

She grew up in an affluent home. Her father must have sent her to good schools. She became aware of her worth as an individual. She must have read good books and knew the possibilities the world out there could offer her to grow and enjoy finer things in life.

She must have grown in a big house and must have had own room which taught her the idea of privacy.

Now she ends up with his fellow who lives in a small house in a crappy colony near Chennai. He had dropped out of school to pursue this Mandolin stuff. And that is all he knows. He is not free of his Dad's influence and has come to depend heavily on him even during his adult life.

She must have found that environment not only stifling but also oppressive. Everyday, her FIL's friends and relatives dropped in unannounced. The MIL must have ordered her to cook and entertain the visitors. Plus the in-laws must have forced this girl to fall at the feet of the men who visit them. Some of those "elders" may as well be crooks especially the men who could be Lotharios. I wonder why Hindus still follow the shitty custom.

It is very sad that this girl who must have flowered as an individual with her own space when she grew up is now forced to live with five other human beings in a rat hole.  She must have been acutely aware that her in-laws were listening to the sound of the bedframe shaking while her husband was screwing her. What an embarassment.!

Day in and day out, all she sees and hears is Mandolin and Carnatic ragas and sadhanas. Nothing else. It must have driven her nuts.  She could not take it anymore.

Imagine the grand daughter of Lakshmi Mittal made a huge mistake of marrying a slum dweller and forced to live in a hut on the banks of the stinking Cooum river.

That is how it was.

Mandolin Srinivas destroyed her life.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:58 pm

Rishi wrote:http://indiankanoon.org/doc/73219244/

The truth is it was the Manolin fellow and his parents were the ones who inflicted mental cruelty on this poor girl.

She grew up in an affluent home. Her father must have sent her to good schools. She became aware of her worth as an individual. She must have read good books and knew the possibilities the world out there could offer her to grow and enjoy finer things in life.

She must have grown in a big house and must have had own room which taught her the idea of privacy.

Now she ends up with his fellow who lives in a small house in a crappy colony near Chennai. He had dropped out of school to pursue this Mandolin stuff. And that is all he knows. He is not free of his Dad's influence and has come to depend heavily on him even during his adult life.

She must have found that environment not only stifling but also oppressive. Everyday, her FIL's friends and relatives dropped in unannounced. The MIL must have ordered her to cook and entertain the visitors. Plus the in-laws must have forced this girl to fall at the feet of the men who visit them. Some of those "elders" may as well be crooks especially the men who could be Lotharios. I wonder why Hindus still follow the shitty custom.

It is very sad that this girl who must have flowered as an individual with her own space when she grew up is now forced to live with five other human beings in a rat hole.  She must have been acutely aware that her in-laws were listening to the sound of the bedframe shaking while her husband was screwing her. What an embarassment.!

Day in and day out, all she sees and hears is Mandolin and Carnatic ragas and sadhanas. Nothing else. It must have driven her nuts.  She could not take it anymore.

Imagine the grand daughter of Lakshmi Mittal made a huge mistake of marrying a slum dweller and forced to live in a hut on the banks of the stinking Cooum river.

That is how it was.

Mandolin Srinivas destroyed her life.

Actually Srinivas is a quiet and down to earth ordinary look guy and behaves like one. His brother Rajesh is the modern variety and the playboy type. The girl should have married Rajesh instead of Srinivas. Srinivas was already famous by the time she married Srinivas. Just like any woman from a rich family she wanted to control the husband, split him from his family and blend him into her family. But, the Guru-Sishya relation + his simple nature proved too strong for her "natural" attempts.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:11 pm

how did this thread make the incredible leap from winter olympics to mandolin srinivas's marital troubles?!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:how did this thread make the incredible leap from winter olympics to mandolin srinivas's marital troubles?!

>>>>Ask Maria.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:how did this thread make the incredible leap from winter olympics to mandolin srinivas's marital troubles?!

Maxan:  With rishi and I here, that is an effortless jijubi....

You are aware of my Nobel-deserving scienitific finding:
Everything in this world is inter-connected.

Actually, Mariamma was the catalyst for the present jump... So just tell us what topic we should leap from here.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:19 pm

oh i see now. i only read the last posts. now i see maria's posts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:09 pm

அட ரொம்ப தான்..பாவம் என்னை இப்படி போய் அவர் கிட்ட போட்டு கொடுதிட்டீங்களே!

So, I am in big trouble now..I have been reported by two students to a tough teacher..

One was direct- என்னை மாட்டி விடுவதில் என்ன சந்தோசம்!

The other..more indirect with some polished words (ரொம்ப ரொம்ப நன்றி Uppiliஅய்யா!) 

பேராசியர்  Max,

ஏதோ உங்களுக்கு இசையில் ஆர்வம் அதிகம் என்ற எண்ணத்தில்..கொஞ்சம் உணர்ச்சி வசப்பட்டு, ஒரு mandolin கலைஞரை பற்றி சொல்லும் போது, அவர் கதையையும் சேர்த்து இந்த நூல்தொடுப்பில் சொல்லிவிட்டேன் Very Happy  

என்னை மன்னிக்க வேண்டுகிறேன்! 

விடை பெறுகிறேன், வணக்கம்.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:35 pm

no offense taken. wasn't even complaining. was browsing on the iPhone quickly and didn't notice the sequence of posts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down