Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

nedunuri & disciple concert

+2
garam_kuta
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

nedunuri & disciple concert Empty nedunuri & disciple concert

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:19 pm

very nice recent concert of the master. one of the still living treasures from the old generation.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

nedunuri & disciple concert Empty Re: nedunuri & disciple concert

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:24 pm

looks sharp and alert for an 85/86 year old. very high quality mridangam accompaniment too. one of the best - mannargudi easwaran.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:50 pm

yeah, the master of madyamAvathi- there is no substitute

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:01 pm

garam_kuta wrote:yeah, the master of madyamAvathi- there is no substitute

the "disciple" is himself an established musician. yet it was great to see the on-stage respect giving and taking.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

the "disciple" is himself an established musician. yet it was great to see the on-stage respect giving and taking.

what is the instrument the pink-shirt guy is playing?
 and could you pls tell me the names of the first three pieces? I've been jumping around and the pink shirt guy and the mridangam guy make fantastic music towards the last fifth of the show.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:45 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

what is the instrument the pink-shirt guy is playing?
 and could you pls tell me the names of the first three pieces? I've been jumping around and the pink shirt guy and the mridangam guy make fantastic music towards the last fifth of the show.

that's the kanjIra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanjira)
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:58 pm

about the pieces, i've lost track now, but the first piece was a standard varNam in sree ragam called sami ninne. now let me go back and listen....

the second one is in raga dhanyasi (i recognize the raga, but have never heard this krithi, so not sure about the sahityam). the third is a standard thyagarAjA krithi in arabhi ragam - nAdasudhA rasambilanu narAkrti yAyE manasA...
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:about the pieces, i've lost track now, but the first piece was a standard varNam in sree ragam called sami ninne. now let me go back and listen....

the second one is in raga dhanyasi (i recognize the raga, but have never heard this krithi, so not sure about the sahityam). the third is a standard thyagarAjA krithi in arabhi ragam - nAdasudhA rasambilanu  narAkrti yAyE manasA...

thank you so much, i'll be able to appreciate it better. I was getting confused before.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 am

Thanks for posting this Max! I Just love Nedunuri! Malladi brothers are fabulous too!

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 am

I had the opportunity to listen to him live many years ago at the Cleveland Aradhana and also meet him in person. He wasn't well that day and was a shorter concert but yet his complete musical repertoire was at display. It was also that day I discovered that some of the famous annamAchArya krithis made famous by MS were set in rAgas by him. Together with Nookala and Malladi this Sripada Pinakapani's 'gharAna' is awesome.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:19 am

agreed. isn't voleti also from the same paramparA?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:agreed. isn't voleti also from the same paramparA?

Yes. Voleti belongs to his paramparA too. Personally, I haven't heard him much. Do you have any audio/video links to his concerts?

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:34 am

smArtha wrote:

Yes. Voleti belongs to his paramparA too. Personally, I haven't heard him much. Do you have any audio/video links to his concerts?

yes i do. there are a few YouTube links. i'll post later at night. my aunt is a huge fan of voleti. i have some old stuff that she recorded off of his AIR concerts.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am

smArtha wrote:

I am a quarter Voleti! Not a close relation(but we are related), but I never fail to mention it. Voleti, Nooka Chinna Satyanarayana & Srirangam Gopalarathnam were also Pinakapani's students. 

Voleti was a singer extraordinaire. There are some is concerts on Surasa.net. I will post some concert links. Also my teacher who is a big Voleti fan said that he has a few GBs of his music, will share it with me when he is here the next time.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:37 pm

smArtha & obnoxious -- here is a lovely begada by voleti:

i love this kind of male voice. excellent range, flexible, yet very masculine. ramnad krishnan had a similar voice.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:01 pm

Thanks Max. I'll listen to this today or tomorrow evening. His face looks little familiar even though I haven't been to any of his concerts. May be from doordarshan times.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:14 pm

smArtha wrote:Thanks Max. I'll listen to this today or tomorrow evening. His face looks little familiar even though I haven't been to any of his concerts. May be from doordarshan times.

i've fallen in love with voleti's music all over again. i've been listening to the few tapes i have non-stop. what a voice! silenced too young unfortunately.

and dr.pinAkapAni himself is nothing short of astounding. i knew of him as the guru of voleti, nedunuri and few others but until yesterday never really explored his own biography. i didn't realize the dr is a medical doctor and a medical professor. he basically pursued two full professions - medicine and music and succeeded phenomenally at both! while pursuing a full time medical career as a professor of medicine he trained gems like the aforementioned musicians and also picked up the sangeetha kalanidhi and other major musical awards along the way in his spare time. wow! and also didn't realize that he only passed away last year at the age of 100.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:15 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:smArtha & obnoxious -- here is a lovely begada by voleti:

i love this kind of male voice. excellent range, flexible, yet very masculine. ramnad krishnan had a similar voice.

Your views on MDR ? - his voice and control ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:16 pm

garam_kuta wrote:

like him, but only on days in which my left brain is working over time while listening to music.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks to a genuine teacher - Pinakapani!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:13 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:

like him, but only on days in which my left brain is working over time while listening to music.

yeah, like campari or scotch, he is an acquired taste- i love his voice control in extended low tempo aalapanais, only paralleled in instrumental renditions- with nAdaswram or violin

how about KVN?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:18 am

KVN is a lot easier for everyday listening. but my favorite from that vintage is semmangudi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:08 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:KVN is a lot easier for everyday listening. but my favorite from that vintage is semmangudi.

KVN is so subtle with brigas/sangathis which i love.

IMO, semmangudi's concerts of 60's are great more because of the accompaniments both violin and percussion.

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:31 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
smArtha wrote:Thanks Max. I'll listen to this today or tomorrow evening. His face looks little familiar even though I haven't been to any of his concerts. May be from doordarshan times.

i've fallen in love with voleti's music all over again. i've been listening to the few tapes i have non-stop. what a voice! silenced too young unfortunately.

and dr.pinAkapAni himself is nothing short of astounding. i knew of him as the guru of voleti, nedunuri and few others but until yesterday never really explored his own biography. i didn't realize the dr is a medical doctor and a medical professor. he basically pursued two full professions - medicine and music and succeeded phenomenally at both! while pursuing a full time medical career as a professor of medicine he trained gems like the aforementioned musicians and also picked up the sangeetha kalanidhi and other major musical awards along the way in his spare time. wow! and also didn't realize that he only passed away last year at the age of 100.

voleti sounded scary to me, I imm got a sharp headache, will try to listen to him again when I'm having a better day. the voice that soothes me to sleep is garimella's. In fact he sang jo achyutananda jo jo mukunda and I can sleep to that.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Music was more or less a hobby for Pinakapani. I met his family when they were in Visakhapatnam - a traditional one not unlike my own. On the day I was there, he was singing a Narayanatheertha's taranga while relaxing and a cute little kid in his house was singing along (not unlike in my house where the elderly sing some devotional song or the other while relaxing in the evening).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down