Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In anticipation of Modi's educational reforms, RSS student wing leader roughs up Delhi University Professor

Go down

In anticipation of Modi's educational reforms, RSS student wing leader roughs up Delhi University Professor Empty In anticipation of Modi's educational reforms, RSS student wing leader roughs up Delhi University Professor

Post by Guest Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:48 am

A professor of Zoology at Delhi University was roughed up by the joint secretary of the Delhi University Students’ Union, Raju Rawat, for purportedly making derogatory remarks against BJP’s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.

Raju is a member of the Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad, the student wing of the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh.

Talking to The Hindu about the incident, he said: “Some first-year students had complained to me that they had not received laptops which the university was supposed to give under the new four-year undergraduate programme (FYUP).”

“When I spoke to Prof. Rai about it, he behaved rudely and asked me to leave. Then I told him that his attitude would not last long since the Modi government would come and get rid of FYUP. It is part of the BJP manifesto. He made fun of me and said, ‘chaiwallas are not equipped to come and take university decisions’. I lost my temper and hit him,” Raju told The Hindu .

The ABVP student leader is also alleged to have then blackened the face of Prof. Rai.

Although Prof. Rai was unavailable for a comment, the police said they received a complaint from him following which they registered a case of simple hurt and obstructing a public servant from discharge of duty.

The incident drew instant criticism from some Delhi University professors.

“Yes, he was manhandled. I do not know the exact reason or what he did to provoke the students. But, I condemn this. No student should be allowed to hit a teacher, no matter what the provocation is,” said Professor Aditya Misra.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/du-professor-attacked-by-abvp-leader/article5885261.ece

Back to top Go down