Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Riding Metro while pregnant: offering and getting a seat

+2
Kris
confuzzled dude
6 posters

Go down

Riding Metro while pregnant: offering and getting a seat Empty Riding Metro while pregnant: offering and getting a seat

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Last week I wrote about riding Metro while pregnant and how few able-bodied people would give up their seats to those who need to take a load off.

Let me caution, as one of our readers pointed out – you might want to be careful in how you offer a seat. Don’t assume someone is pregnant. As one rider, nunyo555, shared:
"Overheard a man standing demanding that a seated woman give up her seat to a pregnant woman. The seated woman refused. The man got loud and insistent. Finally the “pregnant” woman announced in a flat tone, “I’m not pregnant.” Dead silence. Seems like guessing who is pregnant can prove problematic."

One reader suggested wearing a pin as pregnant subway riders in London do that says, “Baby on Board.”
We took the question of how to politely offer your Metro seat to someone who appears to be pregnant, disabled or elderly to the expert – Dear Prudence, a.k.a. Emily Yoffe.
Her advice – paraphrasing Dave Barry, is to avoid remarking that a woman is pregnant “even if she has the head of her offspring coming out from between her legs,” she said.
“It is better to err on the side of being generous,” she said. “If you offer your seat – politely – to a pregnant woman, elderly person or someone using a cane that person could abruptly say, ‘No, I don’t need it.’”
They could be rude in their response but you still did the right thing, she said. Offering your seat to someone who may need it, she said, is about “just being a decent person.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/04/15/riding-metro-while-pregnant-some-advice-on-offering-and-getting-a-seat/

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Riding Metro while pregnant: offering and getting a seat Empty Re: Riding Metro while pregnant: offering and getting a seat

Post by Kris Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:41 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Last week I wrote about riding Metro while pregnant and how few able-bodied people would give up their seats to those who need to take a load off.

Let me caution, as one of our readers pointed out – you might want to be careful in how you offer a seat. Don’t assume someone is pregnant. As one rider, nunyo555, shared:
"Overheard a man standing demanding that a seated woman give up her seat to a pregnant woman. The seated woman refused. The man got loud and insistent. Finally the “pregnant” woman announced in a flat tone, “I’m not pregnant.” Dead silence. Seems like guessing who is pregnant can prove problematic."

One reader suggested wearing a pin as pregnant subway riders in London do that says, “Baby on Board.”
We took the question of how to politely offer your Metro seat to someone who appears to be pregnant, disabled or elderly to the expert – Dear Prudence, a.k.a. Emily Yoffe.
Her advice – paraphrasing Dave Barry, is to avoid remarking that a woman is pregnant “even if she has the head of her offspring coming out from between her legs,” she said.
“It is better to err on the side of being generous,” she said. “If you offer your seat – politely – to a pregnant woman, elderly person or someone using a cane that person could abruptly say, ‘No, I don’t need it.’”
They could be rude in their response but you still did the right thing, she said. Offering your seat to someone who may need it, she said, is about “just being a decent person.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/04/15/riding-metro-while-pregnant-some-advice-on-offering-and-getting-a-seat/

>>>Yeah, let the preggos hang on to the footboard, like we did in India Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Riding Metro while pregnant: offering and getting a seat Empty Re: Riding Metro while pregnant: offering and getting a seat

Post by indophile Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 am

Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:>>>Yeah, let the preggos hang on to the footboard, like we did in India Smile
May not work here. Even when there's nothing in the doorway you keep getting this annoying message - "doors closing...... doors closing ...... doors closing......." and the train wouldn't move an inch.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:04 am

indophile wrote:
Kris wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:>>>Yeah, let the preggos hang on to the footboard, like we did in India Smile
May not work here. Even when there's nothing in the doorway you keep getting this annoying message - "doors closing...... doors closing ...... doors closing......." and the train wouldn't move an inch.

>>>The west takes all the fun out of life, doesn't it? I must confess I like the 'mind the gap' in London, which seems so quaint.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:25 am

The problem in the above story is that a third party (a man standing near a "pregnant" woman) started arguing with the seated woman, while even getting loud and rude with her, to vacate her seat for the "pregnant" woman.  He was out of line.
It was basically up to the seated woman to offer her seat on her own to the "pregnant" woman, especially if the latter really needed the seat or had asked for the seat from the former.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:The problem in the above story is that a third party (a man standing near a "pregnant" woman) started arguing with the seated woman, while even getting loud and rude with her, to vacate her seat for the "pregnant" woman.  He was out of line.
It was basically up to the seated woman to offer her seat on her own to the "pregnant" woman, especially if the latter really needed the seat or had asked for the seat from the former.
Seated woman might have figured out that the other lady wasn't pregnant thus refused to give her seat but that poor man, as usual clueless like many other men when it comes these... I remember a similar incident where one of my coworkers went on and on with (Uppili style) free advice to one of the ladies at work until he was politely told that lady wasn't pregnant.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:11 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:Last week I wrote about riding Metro while pregnant and how few able-bodied people would give up their seats to those who need to take a load off.

Is the pin available for sale through some website? It may come handy for future, on a crowded train in NYC.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:46 pm

I once gave up my seat to a lady who looked pregnant. Pregnant or not, she seemed glad to find a seat.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down