Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

maria

4 posters

Go down

maria Empty maria

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:18 pm

thought this may be of interest to you based on what you said in an earlier thread. i've been watching this series on modern tamil pulavars paying homage to my main man, bharathi. as i am sure you are aware he was outcast and shunned by his own community during his lifetime for various activities considered heretical by his caste peers. sadly, the dravidian movement saw the sidelining of his importance to the freedom struggle and to tamil based solely on the fact that he was a brahmin, with the exception of that one brave soul, bharathidasan. i am now happy to see a broader re-embracing of the poet. nellai kaNNan frequently and lovingly refers to the poet as en ayyar or en ayyan (a usage adopted by bharathidasan himself) and narrates many moving anecdotes of the slightly mad poet's life.  

it's like he has a personal and conversational relationship with bharathi -- "yAmarintha mozhigaLile...". mannargaL yAmnu solluvanga, AnA iyerE neeyo sOthukku illAthavan, pinna epdi yAmnu solluva?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

maria Empty Re: maria

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:56 pm

ca. 44 mins he reveals some startling info. not sure of the basis for this -- he says in his youth, bharathi was in love with a girl from the devadAsi community but his father got him married off quickly to avoid any scandals. interesting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:19 am

Pleasantly surprised. Thanks Max:)

I watched parts of the video this morning..will watch the rest later today..it is interesting and the conversational style is engaging. Although, Bharathiyar is not my "main man"..he is certainly on my list of favorite "leading men- poets!"

To say one loves Tamil Poetry..but, is not moved by Bharathiyar's powerful lines would be strange-bizarre, even dishonest. As you say, I am quite aware of his life story..how he was treated badly by his own brahmin community..as well as the broader tamil non-brahmin literary circles. I have admiration for great ones like him, who had the courage speak up and were seen as rebels and misfits..and ultimately paid the price for it.

*Like race and religion..caste may still color our perspectives to a certain extent, but no one can dim a shining light or fire that burns so brightly..

Speaking of fire..I would not be surprised to know that he was indeed infatuated-loved women..who were controlled/dominated/oppressed..including Devadasis..I have often wondered..where his inspiration came from to write with such great passion- fiery poetry..about wanting to liberate women..save them from their wretched conditions and suffering..had to be watching women who were also seen as outcasts..the forbidden..the undesirables for the "honorable" pillars of society.  The poem (really haiku) "Agni kunchu"..is so powerful..makes one pause and wonder..

Yes..there is a renewed interest and much greater appreciation "openly" now of Bharathiyar..and he is admired by many, many non-brahmins..including those active in the Dravida movement..

Kavignar Vairamuthu..who is a contemporary great-popular poet (Devar) of lyrical poetry-song writer..about Bharathiyar in his own words..

Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:43 am

Maria S wrote:The poem (really haiku) "Agni kunchu"..is so powerful..makes one pause and wonder..[/size]

அக்கினி குஞ்சொன்று கண்டேன் -- அதை
அங்கொரு காட்டிலொர் பொந்திடை வைத்தேன்!

வெந்து தணிந்தது காடு
வெந்து தணிந்தது காடு
வெந்து தணிந்தது காடு

தழல் வீரத்தில் குஞ்சென்றும் மூப்பென்றும் உண்டோ?

தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தித்தோம்!
தக தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தித்தோம்!
தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தித்தோம்!
தக தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தித்தோம்!

வெட்டி அடிக்குது மின்னல்
கடல் வீரத் திரைகொண்டு விண்ணை இடிக்குது
கொட்டி இடிக்குது மேகம்
கூ கூவென்று விண்ணை குடையுது காற்று.
சட்ட் சட சட்ட் சட டட்டா
சட்ட் சட சட்ட் சட டட்டா
என்று தாளங்கள் கொட்டி கணைக்குது வானம்;
தாளம்கொட்டி கணைக்குது வானம்,

தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தித்தோம்
தக தத்தரிகிட தத்தரிகிட தித்தோம்

yes i love this poem. has a philosophical bent, fantastic imagery of fire, wind, and thunderstorms, and the dancing meter is beautiful. it's best read out aloud with the appropriate pauses, emphasis at the right places. i loved vairamuthu's nugget on bharathi. thanks for posting! i have to get his book, kavirajan kathai now! vairamuthu description of bharathi's final journey was poetic but incredibly sad. for those who don't speak tamil -- he says there were four pall bearers and at most twenty people at the funeral. vairamuthu says there were probably more flies on his body than there were people at the funeral.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:55 am

So inspired and grand indeed!

And great to listen..mesmerizing..when the lines are delivered by voices who can do it so well!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:37 am

:-) every single time, I read அக்கினி குஞ்சொன்று கண்டேன், I cry. it inspires me so much.

hi M akka, how have you been?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:40 am

Impedimenta wrote::-) every single time, I read அக்கினி குஞ்சொன்று கண்டேன், I cry. it inspires me so much.

Impy tangachi, how have you been? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:41 am

Kinnera wrote:
Impedimenta wrote::-) every single time, I read அக்கினி குஞ்சொன்று கண்டேன், I cry. it inspires me so much.

kin kin, I've been good. where were you?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:43 am

Impedimenta wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

kin kin, I've been good. where were you?
I was taking a break. I am not supposed to be posting here yet. i broke my vow  pale

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:39 am

Hello I-ma!

Doing ok, thanks for asking. Life goes on..busy as usual..traveling a lot this summer (inside US).

How is your summer? Hope all is well with you. 

Hello Kinnera!

Hope you are doing well.  

Once you post here (as in any online site), like the topic/issue and start interacting, it is hard to get away!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Maria S wrote:
Hello Kinnera!

Hope you are doing well.  

Once you post here (as in any online site), like the topic/issue and start interacting, it is hard to get away!
Hi Maria. Yeah, doing well here. Hope it's the same with you. What you said is true Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:46 am

Max,
Thanks.. I have seen quite a few videos by Kannan. Nice Thamizh. His videos about Kamarajar also good. Have you exposed your kids to Bharathi/Avvai/Kamban/Valluvar? (just curious).

IMO, if one can educate/expose kids to Kural/Bharathi/Avvai that is one of the best education one can have....

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:31 am

FluteHolder wrote:Max,
Thanks.. I have seen quite a few videos by Kannan. Nice Thamizh. His videos about Kamarajar also good. Have you exposed your kids to Bharathi/Avvai/Kamban/Valluvar? (just curious).

IMO, if one can educate/expose kids to Kural/Bharathi/Avvai that is one of the best education one can have....

they know bharathi well because of dance and music and my incessant prattling about him. maybe a little bit about kamban. and it's heretical to say this, but i've never been a huge fan of vaLLuvan because the prescriptive style doesn't work for me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down