Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In the Gulf even Indian muslims are called Hindus

+6
Hellsangel
truthbetold
MaxEntropy_Man
nevada
michelle2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
10 posters

Go down

In the Gulf even Indian muslims are called Hindus Empty In the Gulf even Indian muslims are called Hindus

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:39 am

.......Goa CM Parikkar has a point on the hindu muslims.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

In the Gulf even Indian muslims are called Hindus Empty Re: In the Gulf even Indian muslims are called Hindus

Post by michelle2 Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:53 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

parikkar is wrong; the arabic word for indian is "hindi," with a terminal "i", not "hindu." hindis are the people of al hind, india.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

In the Gulf even Indian muslims are called Hindus Empty Re: In the Gulf even Indian muslims are called Hindus

Post by nevada Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:08 pm

michelle2 wrote:

parikkar is wrong; the arabic word for indian is "hindi," with a terminal "i", not "hindu." hindis are the people of al hind, india.
That might be true but "hindu" also seems to be used with the same intent. Years ago I had a manager who was Israeli and she told me people in her region call India "hindu".

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:12 pm

my taiwanese friend in grad school told me the chinese call india, intu, pakistan, pAchI-sa-tAn, and bangladesh, mongchAlA.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:45 pm

nevada wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

That might be true but "hindu" also seems to be used with the same intent. Years ago I had a manager who was Israeli and she told me people in her region call India "hindu".
Nevada,

Can you help us understand what or which part of michelle's post is true?

Michelle/Swapna/Flimflam,

You are an ignorant pompous windbag. You blabber nonsense and run away when people ask tough questions.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:03 pm

truthbetold wrote:
nevada wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Nevada,

You are an ignorant pompous windbag. You blabber nonsense and run away when people ask tough questions.

Ammachi is correct on this. Al-Hindi is the noun for an Indian. Hindi is the adjective form.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:10 pm

nevada wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Hmm.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
nevada wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Nevada,

Ammachi is correct on this. Al-Hindi is the noun for an Indian. Hindi is the adjective form.

does the al-"place"-i in arabic mean so-and-so from "place"? saddam hussein's official name used to end in al-takriti, and he was from takrit. does hind in arabic mean india?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
nevada wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Nevada,

does the al-"place"-i in arabic mean so-and-so from "place"? saddam hussein's official name used to end in al-takriti, and he was from takrit. does hind in arabic mean india?

Al has the same function in Arabic as Le/La ( the) in French have - to make the word more definitive.

For example: the word in French for India is L'Inde. (La + Inde)
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
nevada wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Nevada,

>>Hind is India. Example: Tamarind comes from Tamar- hind which is the date of India.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:10 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
nevada wrote:
Nevada,

Al has the same function in Arabic as Le/La ( the) in French have - to make the word more definitive.

ok. then it seems the -i ending means "from".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
Nevada,

The -i makes it the adjective form.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
nevada wrote:
Nevada,

>>Hind is India. Example: Tamarind comes from Tamar- hind which is the date of India.

Reminds me. Ceviz( pronounced Jeviz) is walnut in Turkish. Hindistani ceviz or Indian walnut is the term for coconut.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:15 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

The -i  makes it the adjective form.

ok that makes sense.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 pm

Ha
If you want to be proper about it., wikipedia says hindiyya.
hind or hindi are simply variations of sind and sindu.
From the middle ages India is referred to as Hindustan and people of India are referred to as Hindus.
Parrikar was referring to that practice. He said people in middle east do the same.
If you go to middle east, they call you a Hindu not hindi.
So what is correct about correcting parrikar.
If hindi ever represented Hindus it was dead long ago. Today they are referred to as Hindus. So injecting al hind and hindi into this discussion without further clarification is misleading and wrong.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:37 pm

truthbetold wrote:Ha
If you want to be proper about it.,  wikipedia says hindiyya.
From the middle ages India is referred to as Hindustan and people of India are referred to as Hindus.
Parrikar was referring to that practice. He said people in middle east do the same.
If you go to middle east,  they call you a Hindu not hindi.  
If hindi ever represented Hindus it was dead long ago. Today they are referred to as Hindus. So injecting al hind and hindi into this discussion without further clarification is misleading and wrong.

>> TBT, I have a solution out of this hindi- hindian morass. Let's start calling ourselves Mexicans. The telenovellas have great looking women, Boji will be happy as we can complain about being victims with basis and the meat dishes are awesome with the spices. Just so we don't we feel homesick, we can do a north Mexican-south Mexican fight once in awhile. KV can play the guatamalan on those days. Deal?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Kris
Now that is a diversion that has merit. I spent some in Tucson az. Great food and active night life near the university.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:50 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kris
Now that is a diversion that has merit. I spent some in Tucson az. Great food and active night life near the university.

>>>  Speaking of active, # of trips to Nogales in a drunken haze?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:55 pm

I have no idea what Wikipedia article you are referring to. The best way for you to confirm this would be to ask any native Arabic speaker what the Arabic term for India or Indian is. Or ask someone you know who lives in an Arabic speaking place what India/Indians are referred to as.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Ha
The closest I come to speaking to a Muslim is communicating with cd on this forum . Not that I do not want to but I do not come across them in my current location. So do me a favor and ask them and tell me . I will take your word for it.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 pm

The closest I come to speaking to a Muslim is communicating with cd on this forum . Not that I do not want to but I do not come across them in my current location. So do me a favor and ask them and tell me . I will take your word for it.

I just told you above Smile
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:08 pm

Kris wrote:

Did not try that. What I heard was that native Indians have some stuff that blows you.
I was with some academics who were willing to do some bar hopping.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Kris wrote:

Did not try that. What I heard was that native Indians have some stuff that blows you.

Peyote tea?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 pm

So all those expert opinions of yours, bestowed on us all these years were pure speculation or a bunch of BS?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:19 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>One of the kids in the neighborhood goes to school in Tucson and told us about an evening of partying and finding himself in mexico in the morning. I have driven thru Tucson once years ago, but have crossed to border to TJ a few times, but that was way past my partying days by then.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:25 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
So all those expert opinions of yours, bestowed on us all these years were pure speculation or a bunch of BS?

same way your expert opinions on guns and republicans are based on personal experience and interactions, right, comrade? one MUST eat kebabs to have an opinion on your ilk, eh?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:31 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
CD

As usual you jump the gun. You read what you want from a sentence and shoot and then start aiming. 

Ha asked me to find out first hand on what a middle eastern person would call a hindu?  Is it Hindi or hindu?  That is the discussion.  I responded as highlighted above to indicate my recent communication status with your beloved religion.  You took it out of context and jumped on it.  MY years of expert opinions (I never claim to be an expert on anything) are based on my years of living, and interacting with people of all religions including muslims in gullies of nampally, golconda quilla, mojamjahi market,  karwan, charminar and afzal gunj.  Since I moved to this country I also came across people from many countries including people from saudi, jordan, iran, lebanon, pakistan and bangladesh. 

I am not trying convince my opinions are not pure speculation or bunch of BS.  I leave that your reading comprehension and analytical abilities. I just want to clarify the distortions in your interpretation.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:45 am

truthbetold wrote:
nevada wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Nevada,

hello, sooth-be-sold, it's awfully nice to be engaging in this civilized discourse with you. 

nevada has already responded with no relevant info, prevaricating with words like "might be true" and "seems to be," and edifying us with an israeli woman's ignorance about the people of india. you'll be waiting for a long, long time for an honest reply from him. 

in the mean time, you might listen to this video from an arab who teaches arabic on the web. please pay attention to the pronunciation.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:52 am

Hellsangel wrote:

I just told you above Smile
Ha

I apologize if I appear to be stubborn.  I did not see any information that indicates that you have first hand information that middle eastern people call indians hindi and not hindu in today's world? 

To answer an earlier question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindi_(disambiguation)

Arabical-Hind means India and Hindī means Indian; these words are cognate with Indus and Sindh of Pakistan. The Arabic name al-Hindi ("the Indian"; properly al-hindiyya) can figure as a nisba.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu

In origin, Hinduš was Old Persian name of the Indus River, cognate with Sanskrit word Sindhu. By about 2nd - 1st century BCE, the term "Hein-tu" was used by Chinese, for referring to North Indian people.[8][9] The Persian term was loaned into Arabic as al-Hind referring to the land of the people who live across river Indus, and into Greek as Indos, whence ultimately English India.[10]

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15 am

Kris wrote:

>> TBT, I have a solution out of this hindi- hindian morass. Let's start calling ourselves Mexicans. The telenovellas have great looking women, Boji will be happy as we can complain about being victims with basis and the meat dishes are awesome with the spices. Just so we don't we feel homesick, we can do a north Mexican-south Mexican fight once in awhile. KV can play the guatamalan on those days. Deal?

lol! 
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:31 am

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
CD

As usual you jump the gun. You read what you want from a sentence and shoot and then start aiming. 

Ha asked me to find out first hand on what a middle eastern person would call a hindu?  Is it Hindi or hindu?  That is the discussion.  I responded as highlighted above to indicate my recent communication status with your beloved religion.  You took it out of context and jumped on it.  MY years of expert opinions (I never claim to be an expert on anything) are based on my years of living, and interacting with people of all religions including muslims in gullies of nampally, golconda quilla, mojamjahi market,  karwan, charminar and afzal gunj.  Since I moved to this country I also came across people from many countries including people from saudi, jordan, iran, lebanon, pakistan and bangladesh. 

I am not trying convince my opinions are not pure speculation or bunch of BS.  I leave that your reading comprehension and analytical abilities. I just want to clarify the distortions in your interpretation.
Look at the irony; contradiction between your previous post and this.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:33 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

same way your expert opinions on guns and republicans are based on personal experience and interactions, right, comrade? one MUST eat kebabs to have an opinion on your ilk, eh?
What makes you think that I have no interaction with gun owners and/or republicans?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:08 am

truthbetold wrote:

I apologize if I appear to be stubborn.  I did not see any information that indicates that you have first hand information that middle eastern people call indians hindi and not hindu in today's world? 

truth-be-told al-andhrayi: you shouldn't assume everyone is like you. first you challenged michelle/swapna who told you how it is, and then didn't accept what HA told you. all because you wanted uppil gownd's original post to be true, and hoped it would be. in future posts please curb this tendency to shoot first and aim later, i.e. follow the same advice you so generously give to others.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
CD

Look at the irony; contradiction between your previous post and this.

Some compassion please. Don't burden him with such impossible tasks.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:49 pm

CD

You want to score points on the missing 'recently' from the sentence, go ahead.  I thought you are smart enough to use my past statements and the word 'current location' in the next sentence to pick up on the context behind my sentence. 

But you seem to be more intent on scoring points than arguing on the merits of logic behind the argument.  If that makes you feel happy, you can have a victory at my expense. 

The issue whether middle easterners call indians hindi or hindu still remains open.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:58 pm

truthbetold wrote:

The issue whether middle easterners call indians hindi or hindu still remains open.

No. It isn't. Parrikar was being ignorant there.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:16 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

I have had a moroccon lady ask if I was a "hindu" and if I spoke hindu. She had no clue about hindi and hindu or India and hindu/hindi. She was not religious either.

But then morocco is not a Middle Eastern country - but does belong to the Al-lahaland.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:

I have had a moroccon lady ask if I was a "hindu" and if I spoke hindu. She had no clue about hindi and hindu or India and hindu/hindi. She was not religious either.

But then morocco is not a Middle Eastern country - but does belong to the Al-lahaland.

Dial a relative in the Middle East, Your Holiness.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:07 pm

uppil gownd -- perhaps a better title for this thread is "what ignorant people around the world say about indians".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down