Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hyderabad: Hindi Theatre occupies a special place in the hearts of all Hyderabadis

Go down

Hyderabad: Hindi Theatre occupies a special place in the hearts of all Hyderabadis Empty Hyderabad: Hindi Theatre occupies a special place in the hearts of all Hyderabadis

Post by Guest Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:17 pm

Hindi theatre in Hyderabad occupies a special place in Hyderabad’s theatre scenario.

Amidst a plethora of Telugu and English productions, Hindi natak makes its presence frequently on stage, thanks to the admirers and connoisseurs of Hindi theatre and active Hindi theatre groups.

Saurabh Gharipurikar , founder of Udaan theatre group that has staged 20 productions in Hindi to date says theatre is a strong medium to spread the language. In his acting workshops, youngsters also learn the correct pronunciation. “We begin with ‘barakhadi’, the Hindi alphabet so that youngsters can pronounce correctly especially words like ‘Khabar’ ‘Khat’ and ‘Khali’,” he says.

Sunjit Rao, a participant at Udaan’s workshops is a Telugu by birth but knows Hyderabadi Hindi well. “Since I am an actor, I wanted to get a hold on every language. When one says words individually, there is no issue but when saying a sentence, the pronunciation goes haywire,” he says.

This engineering student-turned-actor talks about the word ‘gadha’ which gave him a tough time. “I would stress on ‘ga’ instead of ‘dha’ and had to work hard to improve it,” he says with a smile.

Following the Hindi path is Pathkatha, a poetic play in Hindi to be staged by KissaGo on September 19. Avdhesh Jha of KissaGo is an avid Hindi lover pursuing his Ph.D in Hindi and hopes to make a mark through this debut by their group. “A story is being narrated with the help of poetry,” he says.

When in Hyderabad, speak in Hyderabadi Hindi believes Chandrika Deshpande, a Kannadiga travel agent working in Mumbai. When she comes to the city to meet her sisters, her conversations are peppered with ‘hau’ and ‘nakko’. “Colleagues laugh when I say ‘hau’ in Mumbai. Then I switch to Mumbaiyya Hindi,” she smiles.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/metroplus/on-a-hindi-path/article6419431.ece

Back to top Go down