Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

+8
MaxEntropy_Man
Merlot Daruwala
Ponniyin Selvan
Maria S
Hellsangel
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
confuzzled dude
Kayalvizhi
12 posters

Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:34 pm

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.

Kayalvizhi

Posts : 3659
Join date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:48 pm

http://tulunadunews.com/14392/deepavali-diwali-the-festival-of-light-or-festival-of-child-labor-air-and-sound-pollution/


Diwali means bankruptcy in Kannada so this part of people traditionally prefer ‘Deepavali’ over ‘Diwali’.

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:50 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.

That is DiVali...

in any case, how in the world that Amazon guy to know that this Naarthie-named Deepak was a Kannadiga ? Even if he is from Bangalore, kanndigas are only 25%. And then we have an Ealamite sucking up on behalf of that so-called Kannadiga idiot.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Posts : 17675
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:06 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.

That is DiVali...

in any case, how in the world that Amazon guy to know that this Naarthie-named Deepak was a Kannadiga ? Even if he is from Bangalore, kanndigas are only 25%. And then we have an Ealamite sucking up on behalf of that so-called Kannadiga idiot.
Why is he an idiot? I wish there were many like him that standup for their language than those suckup to anything NI, how difficult is it for amazon website to wish their Indian customer base in 19 official languages not much, someone will have to let them know that India is a diverse country

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:15 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.

That is DiVali...

in any case, how in the world that Amazon guy to know that this Naarthie-named Deepak was a Kannadiga ? Even if he is from Bangalore, kanndigas are only 25%. And then we have an Ealamite sucking up on behalf of that so-called Kannadiga idiot.
Why is he an idiot? I wish there were many like him that standup for their language than those suckup to anything NI, how difficult is it for amazon website to wish their Indian customer base in 19 official languages not much, someone will have to let them know that India is a diverse country

Did that guy speak in Kannada at the outset asking for a Kannada speaking rep (as any French guy would have done)? I bet he spoke in English. The Amazon guy was polite enough to wish him. Deepak could well have been a Christian. Suppose that Amazon guy had wished Deepak in Tamil, even then he would have been offended. There is something called "intention" and "motive" The Amazon guy had good intention but unintentionally did not realize he was talking to a nutty Kannadiga. Deepak OTOH intentionally questioned the sincere intention of the Amazon guy. Perhaps, Deepak should stick to Flipkart.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Posts : 17675
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Hellsangel Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:44 am

Deepak is right.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Posts : 14721
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:05 am

Interesting Kayal.

I have heard the word "Diwaal" being used mixed with Tamil..to say someone has lost their money/wealthy "Diwaal ஆய்ட்டான்" or "Bondi ஆய்ட்டான்". Did not know it was a Kannada word. 
Maria S
Maria S

Posts : 2879
Join date : 2011-12-31

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:13 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.

That is DiVali...

in any case, how in the world that Amazon guy to know that this Naarthie-named Deepak was a Kannadiga ? Even if he is from Bangalore, kanndigas are only 25%. And then we have an Ealamite sucking up on behalf of that so-called Kannadiga idiot.
Why is he an idiot? I wish there were many like him that standup for their language than those suckup to anything NI, how difficult is it for amazon website to wish their Indian customer base in 19 official languages not much, someone will have to let them know that India is a diverse country

Did that guy speak in Kannada at the outset asking for a Kannada speaking rep (as any French guy would have done)? I bet he spoke in English. The Amazon guy was polite enough to wish him. Deepak could well have been a Christian. Suppose that Amazon guy had wished Deepak in Tamil, even then he would have been offended. There is something called "intention" and "motive"  The Amazon guy had good intention but unintentionally did not realize he was talking to a nutty Kannadiga. Deepak OTOH intentionally questioned the sincere intention of the Amazon guy.  Perhaps, Deepak should stick to Flipkart.


Don't worry, Flipkart has been taken care of by another Kannadiga, an active member in our facebook group from where Kayalvizhi picks up these posts..

Jayanth Sidmallappa

https://www.facebook.com/flipkart/posts/10151917486854133

What is nutty in asking to be wished in the language of the state. After all these are private companies and know money talks the best. While rest of India, some hindi movie stars advertise for Pepsi, in Tamil nadu it is always Tamil stars, market rules..

Ponniyin Selvan

Posts : 450
Join date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 am

And from the replies in flipkart fb site, it looks like they have corrected the mistake in mailings as well. In short time. Amazon would do the same..

Ponniyin Selvan

Posts : 450
Join date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:15 am

Maria S wrote:Interesting Kayal.

I have heard the word "Diwaal" being used mixed with Tamil..to say someone has lost their money/wealthy "Diwaal ஆய்ட்டான்" or "Bondi ஆய்ட்டான்". Did not know it was a Kannada word. 

It's not a Kannada word but a Hindian import: http://dict.hinkhoj.com/words/meaning-of-दिवाला-in-english.html
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 5005
Join date : 2011-04-29

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:23 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.

That is DiVali...

in any case, how in the world that Amazon guy to know that this Naarthie-named Deepak was a Kannadiga ? Even if he is from Bangalore, kanndigas are only 25%. And then we have an Ealamite sucking up on behalf of that so-called Kannadiga idiot.
Why is he an idiot? I wish there were many like him that standup for their language than those suckup to anything NI, how difficult is it for amazon website to wish their Indian customer base in 19 official languages not much, someone will have to let them know that India is a diverse country

+1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Posts : 14701
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:25 am

Google says दिवालियापन as well.. So I guess everyone should wish Happy Deepavali .

Hindutva folks should take this up as a "minority ploy" hatched in Arabia and Vatican to wish all Hindus go bankrupt..

Ponniyin Selvan

Posts : 450
Join date : 2011-08-05

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:25 am

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:


What is nutty in asking to be wished in the language of the state. After all these are private companies and know money talks the best. While rest of India, some hindi movie stars advertise for Pepsi, in Tamil nadu it is always Tamil stars, market rules..


Hello PS!

Money talks in Tamil too, and it's not just Tamil stars.

I watched Abishek Bachaan and Dhoni- speak in a Tamil TV program.."Vanakkams", "Nandris", "Vaanga, Vaanga"..in a tamil TV channel..did not know they are the proud owners of "Chennaiyin FC"..( Indian Super League football) promoting their team..it's all good:)
Maria S
Maria S

Posts : 2879
Join date : 2011-12-31

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:29 am

i've always thought of deepAvaLi as deepa oLi-- the light from a lamp (presumably lit during deepAvaLi).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Posts : 14701
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Maria S Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:29 am

Thanks Merlot.

I always assumed it was a Hindi word..did not know the kannada import part.
Maria S
Maria S

Posts : 2879
Join date : 2011-12-31

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:52 am

http://hamariweb.com/dictionaries/urdu-english-dictionary.aspx?eu=bankrupt

The great southern warriors are fighting some guy on phone who said Diwali to a kannadiga. Your problem is that Diwali means bankrupt in Kannada.

Look at the link above. Diwali means bankrupt in Urdu (same as hindi or narthindian). Despite that Diwali is used for festival because it was coined long before Urdu term came to Indian culture.

So stop fighting wars on flimsy reasons. Your problem is that he spoke in a north Indian language rather than a foriegn language English.





truthbetold

Posts : 6799
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:58 am

All these years there were Diwali/Deepawali fights but I think no one brought this up before.

Curious. What are the roots of the bankrupt word Diwali in Kannada and how old it is?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:02 am

i will continue to insist that for many indians english is more indian and less foreign than hindi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Posts : 14701
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:04 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i will continue to insist that for many indians english is more indian and less foreign than hindi.
Max
For many is a small vocal group in this case.

truthbetold

Posts : 6799
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:09 am

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i will continue to insist that for many indians english is more indian and less foreign than hindi.
Max
For many is a small vocal group in this case.

most tamilians and many telugus. it's for good reason hindi and english continue to be official languages in india despite many decades of tireless toil by hindi chauvinists and their ass licking southern indian toadies. you can't wish english away. look at how we are communicating. it will only continue to increase in importance in india.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Posts : 14701
Join date : 2011-04-28

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:15 am

Few days back I called dish Tv to check on my bill. The voice message is in hindi and started explaining the options. I finally got to a person and requested to speak in English.

After completing my business I asked the customer service rep to pass the following information to her management:
(A) those who have ' telugu' channels may not understand hindi
(B) those who have 'Hindi ' channels may not converse in hindi
(C) some Indians may feel offended to be forced to listen to hindi greeting.
Suggested dish should give an English option right at the time of initial greeting.

So hindi creep is happening in far away Usa also. However it is not sponsored by hindian govt.

truthbetold

Posts : 6799
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:30 am

truthbetold wrote:Few days back I called dish Tv to check on my bill. The voice message is in hindi and started explaining the options. I finally got to a person and requested to speak in English.

Congratulations! You're not one of those South Indian toadies Max was railing about.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Posts : 5005
Join date : 2011-04-29

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i will continue to insist that for many indians english is more indian and less foreign than hindi.
Max
For many is a small vocal group in this case.

most tamilians and many telugus. it's for good reason hindi and english continue to be official languages in india despite many decades of tireless toil by hindi chauvinists and their ass licking southern indian toadies. you can't wish english away. look at how we are communicating. it will only continue to increase in importance in india.

Max
i wrote about my dish tv call before i saw your hyperventilated post.

truthbetold

Posts : 6799
Join date : 2011-06-07

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:58 am

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i will continue to insist that for many indians english is more indian and less foreign than hindi.
Max
For many is a small vocal group in this case.

most tamilians and many telugus. it's for good reason hindi and english continue to be official languages in india despite many decades of tireless toil by hindi chauvinists and their ass licking southern indian toadies. you can't wish english away. look at how we are communicating. it will only continue to increase in importance in india.

Max
i wrote about my dish tv call before i saw your hyperventilated post.

on saturday shows (indian), there is a commercial in which the woman begins talking in tamil (or something) and keeps it up throughout the commercial. Let me do a KV and lodge an official complain. It's an american show and all other commercials are in English.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:37 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.
Kayal, Diwaali may be how it is spelt in Kannada, but it's not a kannada word. It's a borrowed word, most probably from hindi (i gave the link in the other thread. check the link that MD gave in this thread). So, should they be not using a hindi derivative?Where does it start and where does it end?

btw, the kannadiga guy who was protesting, Deepak, should also change his Hindi name:

https://www.google.com/search?q=deepak+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

PS: All indian languages have a lot in common. It's so petty to be fighting over languages and to rather prefer a foreign language over an indian language. Shame on such people! Petty morons are the ones who fight over such things.

"Diwali is derived from the Sanskrit fusion word Dīpāvali, formed from dīpa (दीप, "light" or "lamp"[19][20]) and āvalī (आवली, "series, line, row"[21]). Dīpāvali or Deepavali thus meant a "row" or "series of lights".[22]
Diwali (English pronunciation: /dɨˈwɑːliː/)[3] is variously spelled or pronounced in diverse languages of India: 'deepabali' (Oriya: ଦିପାବଲି), 'deepaboli' (Bengali: দীপাবলী), 'deepavali' (Assamese: দীপাৱলী, Kannada: ದೀಪಾವಳಿ, Malayalam: ദീപാവളി, Tamil: தீபாவளி and Telugu: దీపావళి), 'divali' (Gujarati: દિવાળી, Hindi: दिवाली, Marathi: दिवाळी,Konkani: दिवाळी Punjabi: ਦੀਵਾਲੀ), 'diyari' (Sindhi: दियारी), and 'tihar' (Nepali: तिहार)." - wiki

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:30 am

Kinnera wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.
Kayal, Diwaali may be how it is spelt in Kannada, but it's not a kannada word. It's a borrowed word, most probably from hindi (i gave the link in the other thread. check the link that MD gave in this thread). So, should they be not using a hindi derivative?Where does it start and where does it end?

btw, the kannadiga guy who was protesting, Deepak, should also change his Hindi name:

https://www.google.com/search?q=deepak+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

PS: All indian languages have a lot in common. It's so petty to be fighting over languages and to rather prefer a foreign language over an indian language. Shame on such people! Petty morons are the ones who fight over such things.

"Diwali is derived from the Sanskrit fusion word Dīpāvali, formed from dīpa (दीप, "light" or "lamp"[19][20]) and āvalī (आवली, "series, line, row"[21]). Dīpāvali or Deepavali thus meant a "row" or "series of lights".[22]
Diwali (English pronunciation: /dɨˈwɑːliː/)[3] is variously spelled or pronounced in diverse languages of India: 'deepabali' (Oriya: ଦିପାବଲି), 'deepaboli' (Bengali: দীপাবলী), 'deepavali' (Assamese: দীপাৱলী, Kannada: ದೀಪಾವಳಿ, Malayalam: ദീപാവളി, Tamil: தீபாவளி and Telugu: దీపావళి), 'divali' (Gujarati: દિવાળી, Hindi: दिवाली, Marathi: दिवाळी,Konkani: दिवाळी Punjabi: ਦੀਵਾਲੀ), 'diyari' (Sindhi: दियारी), and 'tihar' (Nepali: तिहार)." - wiki
Morons for fighting for their identity, you might be OKAY with that usage but not everyone is. Thankfully, Telugu books still spell it as DeepavaLi.

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.
Kayal, Diwaali may be how it is spelt in Kannada, but it's not a kannada word. It's a borrowed word, most probably from hindi (i gave the link in the other thread. check the link that MD gave in this thread). So, should they be not using a hindi derivative?Where does it start and where does it end?

btw, the kannadiga guy who was protesting, Deepak, should also change his Hindi name:

https://www.google.com/search?q=deepak+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

PS: All indian languages have a lot in common. It's so petty to be fighting over languages and to rather prefer a foreign language over an indian language. Shame on such people! Petty morons are the ones who fight over such things.

"Diwali is derived from the Sanskrit fusion word Dīpāvali, formed from dīpa (दीप, "light" or "lamp"[19][20]) and āvalī (आवली, "series, line, row"[21]). Dīpāvali or Deepavali thus meant a "row" or "series of lights".[22]
Diwali (English pronunciation: /dɨˈwɑːliː/)[3] is variously spelled or pronounced in diverse languages of India: 'deepabali' (Oriya: ଦିପାବଲି), 'deepaboli' (Bengali: দীপাবলী), 'deepavali' (Assamese: দীপাৱলী, Kannada: ದೀಪಾವಳಿ, Malayalam: ദീപാവളി, Tamil: தீபாவளி and Telugu: దీపావళి), 'divali' (Gujarati: દિવાળી, Hindi: दिवाली, Marathi: दिवाळी,Konkani: दिवाळी Punjabi: ਦੀਵਾਲੀ), 'diyari' (Sindhi: दियारी), and 'tihar' (Nepali: तिहार)." - wiki
Morons for fighting for their identity, you might be OKAY with that usage but not everyone is. Thankfully, Telugu books still spell it as DeepavaLi.
what identity? how narrower are you going to go into your identity? Where does this narrowing stop?

Who says Deepavali should not be used? Of course, i use it. That's how it is called in Telugu. Check the wiki except i gave. But, don't get all twisted if other ways of saying it are used. It's ok. chill!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.
Kayal, Diwaali may be how it is spelt in Kannada, but it's not a kannada word. It's a borrowed word, most probably from hindi (i gave the link in the other thread. check the link that MD gave in this thread). So, should they be not using a hindi derivative?Where does it start and where does it end?

btw, the kannadiga guy who was protesting, Deepak, should also change his Hindi name:

https://www.google.com/search?q=deepak+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

PS: All indian languages have a lot in common. It's so petty to be fighting over languages and to rather prefer a foreign language over an indian language. Shame on such people! Petty morons are the ones who fight over such things.

"Diwali is derived from the Sanskrit fusion word Dīpāvali, formed from dīpa (दीप, "light" or "lamp"[19][20]) and āvalī (आवली, "series, line, row"[21]). Dīpāvali or Deepavali thus meant a "row" or "series of lights".[22]
Diwali (English pronunciation: /dɨˈwɑːliː/)[3] is variously spelled or pronounced in diverse languages of India: 'deepabali' (Oriya: ଦିପାବଲି), 'deepaboli' (Bengali: দীপাবলী), 'deepavali' (Assamese: দীপাৱলী, Kannada: ದೀಪಾವಳಿ, Malayalam: ദീപാവളി, Tamil: தீபாவளி and Telugu: దీపావళి), 'divali' (Gujarati: દિવાળી, Hindi: दिवाली, Marathi: दिवाळी,Konkani: दिवाळी Punjabi: ਦੀਵਾਲੀ), 'diyari' (Sindhi: दियारी), and 'tihar' (Nepali: तिहार)." - wiki
Morons for fighting for their identity, you might be OKAY with that usage but not everyone is. Thankfully, Telugu books still spell it as DeepavaLi.
what identity? how narrower are you going to go into your identity? Where does this narrowing stop?

Who says Deepavali should not be used? Of course, i use it. That's how it is called in Telugu. Check the wiki except i gave. But, don't get all twisted if other ways of saying it are used. It's ok. chill!
Madam two things, first you're the one that needs to chill as you're the one called that guy 'idiot' not me; secondly what's the gripe here if you're okay with the usage of deepawali, after all he was asking for the same

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:57 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kayalvizhi wrote:bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Some ignorant people on this forum in another thread said that diwaali does not mean bankrupt in Kannada.

Check http://www.kannadakasturi.com/kasturiEnglishKanDictionary/Searchword.aspo

It is not wrong to be ignorant but posting nonsense out of ignorant is to be condemned.
Kayal, Diwaali may be how it is spelt in Kannada, but it's not a kannada word. It's a borrowed word, most probably from hindi (i gave the link in the other thread. check the link that MD gave in this thread). So, should they be not using a hindi derivative?Where does it start and where does it end?

btw, the kannadiga guy who was protesting, Deepak, should also change his Hindi name:

https://www.google.com/search?q=deepak+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

PS: All indian languages have a lot in common. It's so petty to be fighting over languages and to rather prefer a foreign language over an indian language. Shame on such people! Petty morons are the ones who fight over such things.

"Diwali is derived from the Sanskrit fusion word Dīpāvali, formed from dīpa (दीप, "light" or "lamp"[19][20]) and āvalī (आवली, "series, line, row"[21]). Dīpāvali or Deepavali thus meant a "row" or "series of lights".[22]
Diwali (English pronunciation: /dɨˈwɑːliː/)[3] is variously spelled or pronounced in diverse languages of India: 'deepabali' (Oriya: ଦିପାବଲି), 'deepaboli' (Bengali: দীপাবলী), 'deepavali' (Assamese: দীপাৱলী, Kannada: ದೀಪಾವಳಿ, Malayalam: ദീപാവളി, Tamil: தீபாவளி and Telugu: దీపావళి), 'divali' (Gujarati: દિવાળી, Hindi: दिवाली, Marathi: दिवाळी,Konkani: दिवाळी Punjabi: ਦੀਵਾਲੀ), 'diyari' (Sindhi: दियारी), and 'tihar' (Nepali: तिहार)." - wiki
Morons for fighting for their identity, you might be OKAY with that usage but not everyone is. Thankfully, Telugu books still spell it as DeepavaLi.
what identity? how narrower are you going to go into your identity? Where does this narrowing stop?

Who says Deepavali should not be used? Of course, i use it. That's how it is called in Telugu. Check the wiki except i gave. But, don't get all twisted if other ways of saying it are used. It's ok. chill!
Madam two things, first you're the one that needs to chill as you're the one called that guy 'idiot' not me; secondly what's the gripe here if you're okay with the usage of deepawali, after all he was asking for the same
who is bringing in the narrow concepts and thinking pettily? you or me?

PS: Should ppl start fighting about using deepabali, Deepaboli, Diyari, Tihar, etc by everyone too?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:04 am

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Kayal, Diwaali may be how it is spelt in Kannada, but it's not a kannada word. It's a borrowed word, most probably from hindi (i gave the link in the other thread. check the link that MD gave in this thread). So, should they be not using a hindi derivative?Where does it start and where does it end?

btw, the kannadiga guy who was protesting, Deepak, should also change his Hindi name:

https://www.google.com/search?q=deepak+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=nts

PS: All indian languages have a lot in common. It's so petty to be fighting over languages and to rather prefer a foreign language over an indian language. Shame on such people! Petty morons are the ones who fight over such things.

"Diwali is derived from the Sanskrit fusion word Dīpāvali, formed from dīpa (दीप, "light" or "lamp"[19][20]) and āvalī (आवली, "series, line, row"[21]). Dīpāvali or Deepavali thus meant a "row" or "series of lights".[22]
Diwali (English pronunciation: /dɨˈwɑːliː/)[3] is variously spelled or pronounced in diverse languages of India: 'deepabali' (Oriya: ଦିପାବଲି), 'deepaboli' (Bengali: দীপাবলী), 'deepavali' (Assamese: দীপাৱলী, Kannada: ದೀಪಾವಳಿ, Malayalam: ദീപാവളി, Tamil: தீபாவளி and Telugu: దీపావళి), 'divali' (Gujarati: દિવાળી, Hindi: दिवाली, Marathi: दिवाळी,Konkani: दिवाळी Punjabi: ਦੀਵਾਲੀ), 'diyari' (Sindhi: दियारी), and 'tihar' (Nepali: तिहार)." - wiki
Morons for fighting for their identity, you might be OKAY with that usage but not everyone is. Thankfully, Telugu books still spell it as DeepavaLi.
what identity? how narrower are you going to go into your identity? Where does this narrowing stop?

Who says Deepavali should not be used? Of course, i use it. That's how it is called in Telugu. Check the wiki except i gave. But, don't get all twisted if other ways of saying it are used. It's ok. chill!
Madam two things, first you're the one that needs to chill as you're the one called that guy 'idiot' not me; secondly what's the gripe here if you're okay with the usage of deepawali, after all he was asking for the same
who is bringing in the narrow concepts and thinking pettily? you or me?

PS: Should ppl start fighting about using deepabali, Deepaboli, Diyari, Tihar, etc by everyone too?
What narrow concept or being petty? For a guy from guntur or udipi, the word deewali is as alien word as nala (stream or faucet in hyderabadi)

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Guest Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:08 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
what identity? how narrower are you going to go into your identity? Where does this narrowing stop?

Who says Deepavali should not be used? Of course, i use it. That's how it is called in Telugu. Check the wiki except i gave. But, don't get all twisted if other ways of saying it are used. It's ok. chill!
Madam two things, first you're the one that needs to chill as you're the one called that guy 'idiot' not me; secondly what's the gripe here if you're okay with the usage of deepawali, after all he was asking for the same
who is bringing in the narrow concepts and thinking pettily? you or me?

PS: Should ppl start fighting about using deepabali, Deepaboli, Diyari, Tihar, etc by everyone too?
What narrow concept or being petty? For a guy from guntur or udipi, the word deewali is as alien word as nala (stream or faucet in hyderabadi)
Or really? So Amazon and everyone else should include all variations and permutations of the word when saying it?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by seven Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:09 pm

People in north say deepawali too. Diwali is another popular word. It's not like people don't create shor cuts for South Indian words. Maybe some festivals have different names too. Idk examples. But why is it a big deal if North Indians do it.

I call it Diwali n still think lights diyas sweets rangoli.
It's like fighting god is called Ram not Allah dhishoom dhishoom. Call it watever. It's still the same.

seven

Posts : 1559
Join date : 2013-04-13

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:32 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Madam two things, first you're the one that needs to chill as you're the one called that guy 'idiot' not me; secondly what's the gripe here if you're okay with the usage of deepawali, after all he was asking for the same

There is only one thing - make it three things - about this episode.

1. The Amazon guy is not too smart - for not guessing Deepak's origins from his accent, and thining Hindi is a national language (it is the fault of Mullahyam and Cong(i)/UPA).

2. Amazon did not recruit a goodly/smartly guy..

3. Deepak was rude and a moron of the highest calibre, while the Amazon dude is a moron of a much less caliber but poilite.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Posts : 17675
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 108

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:45 pm

seven wrote:People in north say deepawali too. Diwali is another popular word. It's not like people don't create shor cuts for South Indian words. Maybe some festivals have different names too. Idk examples. But why is it a big deal if North Indians do it.

I call it Diwali n still think lights diyas sweets rangoli.
It's like fighting god is called Ram not Allah dhishoom dhishoom. Call it watever. It's still the same.
Why should SIs suffer for NIs inability to pronounce sanskrit words correctly Razz

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:52 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Madam two things, first you're the one that needs to chill as you're the one called that guy 'idiot' not me; secondly what's the gripe here if you're okay with the usage of deepawali, after all he was asking for the same

There is only one thing - make it three things - about this episode.

1. The Amazon guy is not too smart - for not guessing Deepak's origins from his accent, and thining Hindi is a national language (it is the fault of Mullahyam and Cong(i)/UPA).

2. Amazon did not recruit a goodly/smartly guy..

3. Deepak was rude and a moron of the highest calibre, while the Amazon dude is a moron of a much less caliber but poilite.
I don't consider either of them as morons, issue has been raised and looks like has been notified to the appropriate authorities and hope they come up with a solution. As you admitted politician's like Mulayamjis, Modijis are primarily responsible for Amazon's customer representative's misunderstanding of national language boogeyman, it doesn't make him a moron though, that is a common misperception which needs to be highlighted so more and more become aware of this common mistake.

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by goodcitizn Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:31 am

The only moronic thing in the entire scenario is the continued insistence by Hindians that Hindi is "the" national language and the insinuation that no other Indian language deserves that status. To me, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Konkani, Marati, Bengali etc are all national languages.

goodcitizn

Posts : 3263
Join date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by nevada Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:16 pm

I remember the term "diwaliya ghar" aka bankrupt house being used during PV Narasimha Rao's re-election campaign ad back in 1996. The gist of the ad was that he prevented the country from going bankrupt and brought in lots of investment/development. I was surprised then that the word diwali had such a totally different meaning in Hindi. I didn't bother reading this entire thread so I don't know if someone has mentioned that in telugu "diwala" means bankrupt.

nevada

Posts : 1831
Join date : 2011-04-29

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Did that guy speak in Kannada at the outset asking for a Kannada speaking rep (as any French guy would have done)? I bet he spoke in English.   The Amazon guy had good intention but unintentionally did not realize he was talking to a nutty Kannadiga. Deepak OTOH intentionally questioned the sincere intention of the Amazon guy.  Perhaps, Deepak should stick to Flipkart.

Uppili,

Collect the facts before posting. I have noticed it with you in the past several times.

Deepak is not complaining that the customer support guy wished hin Diwali. He was complaining about the amazon.India website saying Diwali. Now do you understand?

By the way, after receiving complaint Google agreed to change to Deepavali if the log in is from an ISP in southern India or Indian occupied Tamil Nadu.

Kayalvizhi

Posts : 3659
Join date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i've always thought of deepAvaLi as deepa oLi-- the light from a lamp (presumably lit during deepAvaLi).

Yes, it is true.

Also theepam is from the Tamil word Thee.

Kayalvizhi

Posts : 3659
Join date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i will continue to insist that for many indians english is more indian and less foreign than hindi.

"HIndi is as foreign to South Indians, as English is to North Indians" - Pattam Thanu Pillai, former Chief Minister, Kerala (He did not belong to Congress or BJP)

The current Kerala chief minister (a Congress fellow) is angry to Assembly speaker did not allow an MP to speak in Hiundi sating that assembly rules allow only Malayalam and English. He promised to amend the rules to include Hindi because prteveventing to speak in Hindi sets a bad example.

That is a Malayali scared of Hindians. He is chief minister only because Hindians selected him, not Malayalis. This is fact. Congress Chief Ministers are selected by Congress High Command in the hands of hindians.

Kayalvizhi

Posts : 3659
Join date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada) Empty Re: bankrupt = DiwaaLi (Kannada)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum