Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy Diwali!

+3
Seva Lamberdar
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
TruthSeeker
7 posters

Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:09 pm

Happy Diwali! ?ui=2&ik=a030a60e10&view=fimg&th=1493f7a2c3aa7d6a&attid=0.1


Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by TruthSeeker Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Happy Diwali to you and yours, and everyone on this site.

Best wishes for your happiness, peace, and joy.

Its been the most quiet Diwali for me in many years, hopefully it will change on Sat.

Regards,
TS.

TruthSeeker

Posts : 1508
Join date : 2012-08-18

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:41 pm

Is the picture showing up? It is showing up sometimes for me. sometimes it's not.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:39 pm

today is solar eclipse - new moon is a MUST. So Deepavali HAS to be today.

not yesterday.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Posts : 17675
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 109

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:37 am

Happy Diwali! HQw5UNG

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:47 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:today is solar eclipse - new moon is a MUST. So Deepavali HAS to be today.

not yesterday.
Everyday is a Deepavali for me Upps. So dates don't matter. Razz

Anyway, a happy Deepavali to you again! Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 am

Kinns. Your pic isn't showing up.

Upps. We did pooja yesterday around 7:15 pm (based on India time which was supposed to be 6-7:12 but we were running late as usual). Then we talked to XH's aunt who said they did it at 8 pm coz that's after the eclipse going away. I knew nothing about the eclipse. But anyway she said anytime after 7:00 pm was fine.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Kinns. Your pic isn't showing up.
It's not showing up even the second time that i uploaded it? jeez! It's the pic of Obama and his family in traditional south indian attire (Obama in veshti, michelle in saree, kids in dhavanis/onis) and the wishing 'Happy Diwali' in both english and tamil. An LOL pic.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:42 am

Kinnera wrote:Happy Diwali! ?ui=2&ik=a030a60e10&view=fimg&th=1493f7a2c3aa7d6a&attid=0.1


Wink
Happy Diwali.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Posts : 6566
Join date : 2012-11-29

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:00 am

Happy Diwali to you too, Seva Smile

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:15 am

Kinnera wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Kinns. Your pic isn't showing up.
It's not showing up even the second time that i uploaded it? jeez! It's the pic of Obama and his family in traditional south indian attire (Obama in veshti, michelle in saree, kids in dhavanis/onis) and the wishing 'Happy Diwali' in both english and tamil. An LOL pic.
i can see it:

Happy Diwali! Hqw5un10

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by southindian Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:02 am

I can see Obama and family in chrome

NICE PHOTOSHOP

LOL

Smile
southindian
southindian

Posts : 4643
Join date : 2012-10-08

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by southindian Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 am

Smile

Except the face everything else is fake. Somebody drew those Michelle's hands. LOL
southindian
southindian

Posts : 4643
Join date : 2012-10-08

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 am

ya. lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:today is solar eclipse - new moon is a MUST. So Deepavali HAS to be today.

not yesterday.

Happy Diwali! 2014-10-23T050406Z_01_NEP01_RTRIDSP_3_NEPAL-CULTURE
This Nepali custom of decorating cow might be similar to (South) Indian ritual where the horns of cows/buffaloes smeared with red and silver paints during solar eclipse.

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by goodcitizn Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:19 pm

I don't know about decorating cows in South India during Deepavali but I do have fond memories from my boyhood days in Madurai where my grandmother would get us boys involved in painting the horns of the two cows we had at home during Pongal (Harvest Festival) on January 15th or thereabouts each year.

goodcitizn

Posts : 3263
Join date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:29 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I don't know about decorating cows in South India during Deepavali but I do have fond memories from my boyhood days in Madurai where my grandmother would get us boys involved in painting the horns of the two cows we had at home during Pongal (Harvest Festival) on January 15th or thereabouts each year.
Custom I was talking about was during an eclipse, reasoning behind that was demons despised red color thus will stay away from the cattle, don't remember whether they painted all or only pregnant cattle.

confuzzled dude

Posts : 10205
Join date : 2011-05-08

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:30 pm

Saw Upps' pics now.... reminded me how we used to play the game of lining up and running under buffaloes one by one. Cows were a little scarier as they were fidgety. So only a few kids could go at a time. Buffaloes didn't care.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by goodcitizn Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Saw Upps' pics now.... reminded me how we used to play the game of lining up and running under buffaloes one by one. Cows were a little scarier as they were fidgety. So only a few kids could go at a time. Buffaloes didn't care.

Cows are not fidgety around kids they know. I don't know much about buffalos except for a couple in SUCH.

goodcitizn

Posts : 3263
Join date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Guest Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:25 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:Saw Upps' pics now.... reminded me how we used to play the game of lining up and running under buffaloes one by one. Cows were a little scarier as they were fidgety. So only a few kids could go at a time. Buffaloes didn't care.

Cows are not fidgety around kids they know. I don't know much about buffalos except for a couple in SUCH.

Those were not anyone of our cows. Behind my house there was a little open area lined by a dozen or so very small houses; and a small tree in the center that turned into a temple over time. That little area is where I played with those kids. Thinking of it, not sure whose cows they were except that they were brought in the area for whatever little grazing they could do.

The cows were mostly calm. We used to grab their tails and brush it over our hair coz someone said if you do that you get lush hair. One of my friends did that a lot and her hair turned partial gray (she was just a kid!), so I thought maybe it's coz the cows tail is also salt and pepper.

Anyway, we used to run under cows too. But once a cow moved (jumped in surprise) after a 7th or 8th kid went under it. Freaked me out. After that I still went once or twice but decided it was too much adventure for me.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by goodcitizn Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:07 am

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
The cows were mostly calm. We used to grab their tails and brush it over our hair coz someone said if you do that you get lush hair. One of my friends did that a lot and her hair turned partial gray (she was just a kid!), so I thought maybe it's coz the cows tail is also salt and pepper.

LOL, I didn't know about such a superstition!

The cows we had didn't have salt and pepper tails. My grandmother was against breeding our cows with Holstein bulls although people were doing that to improve milk production. Ours were the traditional breeds, Ongole and Kangayam, if I remember. The funny anecdote I remember is my grandmother saying she didn't want her cows looking like the atlas, refering to the patches on Holstein hybrids!

goodcitizn

Posts : 3263
Join date : 2011-05-03

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Happy Diwali! 10521096_10203303493934586_8235808561840718219_n

Kayalvizhi

Posts : 3659
Join date : 2011-05-16

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:Happy Diwali! 10521096_10203303493934586_8235808561840718219_n

This is like the Satan wishing "merry Christmas"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Posts : 17675
Join date : 2011-04-30
Age : 109

Back to top Go down

Happy Diwali! Empty Re: Happy Diwali!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum