Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

preethi does poriyal

4 posters

Go down

preethi does poriyal Empty preethi does poriyal

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:40 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/learning-to-cook-south-indian-food-with-the-help-of-some-experts/2014/11/03/628429e0-5d2b-11e4-9f3a-7e28799e0549_story.html?hpid=z13
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

preethi does poriyal Empty Re: preethi does poriyal

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:38 pm

It must be fashionable for career-driven Tambrahm ladies to brag that they need GPS to find the kitchen, not even know how to cut a carrot.

There are no measuring cups or spoons in our home. Ask my mother how to make rice and she suggests that one can “take two fingers water, and one finger rice,” or something to that effect.

There is no such expression in Tamil. I feel sorry for her mother.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:51 pm

goodcitizn wrote:It must be fashionable for career-driven Tambrahm ladies to brag that they need GPS to find the kitchen, not even know how to cut a carrot.

There are no measuring cups or spoons in our home. Ask my mother how to make rice and she suggests that one can “take two fingers water, and one finger rice,” or something to that effect.

i felt the same especially when i read the following - couldn't she have used an electric rice cooker?

a big drama queen! *shaking head*

Rice is in my blood. But I’ve never been able to cook it.

Oh, sure, I have charred it. I have pulled it from that rice cooker so waterlogged that, as my friends arrived for the Indian feast I had promised, I sobbed large, panicked tears.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:06 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:It must be fashionable for career-driven Tambrahm ladies to brag that they need GPS to find the kitchen, not even know how to cut a carrot.

i felt the same especially when i read the following - couldn't she have used an electric rice cooker?

Oh, sure, I have charred it. I have pulled it from that rice cooker so waterlogged that, as my friends arrived for the Indian feast I had promised, I sobbed large, panicked tears.
She is not a particularly good writer despite her repeated attempts to sound hip nor what she says is totally true. She lumps all Indian American ladies in her category. My niece, who was born and brought up in the U.S., is a very decent cook of traditional South Indian food. I am sure there are many others like her.

Yes, a typical drama queen. Ugh-inducing.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:16 am

bw wrote:

>>>Good point. I think I screwed it up just once and that was the first time.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down