Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the millionaire waltz

+3
MaxEntropy_Man
bw
goodcitizn
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

the millionaire waltz Empty the millionaire waltz

Post by bw Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:26 pm

bw

Back to top Go down

the millionaire waltz Empty Re: the millionaire waltz

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:26 am

brilliant! never heard this song before.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:brilliant! never heard this song before.

i too listened to it for the first time just a couple of days ago. been listening to a lot of obscure queen pieces that didn't make it to the charts.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:52 pm

Nice piece. Thanks for sharing.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:28 pm

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:32 pm

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:04 pm

Very entertaining, has a Beatlesque style as well.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:11 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Very entertaining, has a Beatlesque style as well.

yes, i too thought the same.

queen released a new album this month with some previously unreleased freddie mercury tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYNfY9rEAG4

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:29 pm

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Very entertaining, has a Beatlesque style as well.

yes, i too thought the same.

queen released a new album this month with some previously unreleased freddie mercury tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYNfY9rEAG4

Interesting bits of music. Leaving aside FM's quirks, he had such an incredible voice range. Didn't realize he was a parsi like Zubin Mehta.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:51 am

he had an amazing singing voice and great musicality, and he imbued every word and phrase he sang with just the right tone and inflection. i don't know how else to explain it. sheer genius.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:32 am

A fine documentary on Freddie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEHTw1sH3eo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm

ahem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Mercury wrote:One of his formative musical influences at the time was Bollywood singer Lata Mangeshkar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:42 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:ahem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Mercury wrote:One of his formative musical influences at the time was Bollywood singer Lata Mangeshkar

I was waiting for someone to dig that out of wiki. Don't know whether it's an authentic claim, but IMO there is an ocean separating the two in just singing talent and musicality. And Freddie was also a great rock composer and he seems to have drunk deeply from so many different genres.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I was waiting for someone to dig that out of wiki. Don't know whether it's an authentic claim, but IMO there is an ocean separating the two in just singing talent and musicality. And Freddie was also a great rock composer and he seems to have drunk deeply from so many different genres.

yes when he moved to London his musical influences changed. for all we care, maybe that's the only name he remembered if later someone had asked him about his india years.

i personally like his song 'i want to break free'. dunno where it stands in terms of class, taste, or greatness, but i used to find it catchy enough to sing the title line in my not-so-musical voice as a kid.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i was curious about the keech-keech mami's influence and i found this. seems like he wasn't sure of her gender.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SUKJBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT10&lpg=PT10&dq=freddie+mercury+lata+mangeshkar&source=bl&ots=tPoaMeveZ2&sig=7d8aMgRH1xE7q7iRyQ-nB5qm0Dw&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xjlpVNGYPOLTmgWmh4CYBw&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=freddie%20mercury%20lata%20mangeshkar&f=false

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:39 pm

interesting... looks like he is talking about kishore kumar.

from accounts of school friends, he used to tune in to songs of lata + kishore songs on vividh bharti.

http://www.aboutfreddiemercury.com/talent-fantasy/

The Hectics covered hits of Cliff Richard, Elvis Presley and Little Richard, as well as more traditional Indian classical music and choir music. Freddie later listed Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar as his early musical idols, and it is not hard to spot the Bollywood influences on Queen's high camp splendour and ceremony or the baroque flourishes in their music. - See more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/music/panchgani-s-wild-strawberry/article1-741749.aspx#sthash.pMV16Tp7.dpuf

most of these claims are mostly from indian sources though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:57 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:interesting... looks like he is talking about kishore kumar.

from accounts of school friends, he used to tune in to songs of lata + kishore songs on vividh bharti.

http://www.aboutfreddiemercury.com/talent-fantasy/

The Hectics covered hits of Cliff Richard, Elvis Presley and Little Richard, as well as more traditional Indian classical music and choir music. Freddie later listed Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar as his early musical idols, and it is not hard to spot the Bollywood influences on Queen's high camp splendour and ceremony or the baroque flourishes in their music. - See more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/entertainment/music/panchgani-s-wild-strawberry/article1-741749.aspx#sthash.pMV16Tp7.dpuf

most of these claims are mostly from indian sources though.
The national geographic documentary that i posted above also talks about his early influence of bollywood music.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:00 pm

hahaha @ keechkeech mami! freddie mercury being influenced by the mangeshkar woman is like dravid being influenced by let's see, chetan chowhan or monet being influenced by thomas kinkade.

it's possible i suppose. even ramanujan was influenced by that tripos tutor who wrote that forgettable trigonometry book, whathsisface.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:hahaha @ keechkeech mami! freddie mercury being influenced by the mangeshkar woman is like dravid being influenced by let's see, chetan chowhan or monet being influenced by thomas kinkade.
Why are the iyers and iyengarinis all twisted about Freddie's early bollywood influence? He studied in bombay for several years, so it's but natural that he was exposed to bollywood music, loved it and was influenced by it. How hard is it to swallow that piece of info?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:hahaha @ keechkeech mami! freddie mercury being influenced by the mangeshkar woman is like dravid being influenced by let's see, chetan chowhan or monet being influenced by thomas kinkade.
Why are the iyers and iyengarinis all twisted about Freddie's early bollywood influence? He studied in bombay for several years, so it's but natural that he was exposed to bollywood music, loved it and was influenced by it. How hard is it to swallow that piece of info?

wannabe northindian dravidian telugu woman! what's the relevance of caste in this discussion?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Most bombayites, especially the south bombayites, especially the parsi and boarding school types weren't into bollywood movies, even until my generation. It's only in the late 90s did they start opening to it. But they did appreciate the music.  Maybe bollywood music/radio was a small part of his life that school friends later exaggerated. Or a small statement he made out of politeness was often repeated to add more dimension to his exotic appeal. I do think that he may have said those things about Kishore Kumar, coz he was at his peak performance (mostly highly eccentric) at that time, while Lata Mangeshkar was never on a screen. I also read that he watched a concert of lata mangeshkar, so maybe that's what he mentioned. Doesn't mean he was influenced. Can mean it too. Guess anyone can make their own opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

wannabe northindian telugu woman! what's the relevance of caste in this discussion?
i see a pattern. That's why the mention. And yes sir, how do you think anyone here knows about your caste?  Coz you guys are the ones who declared it. Don't get all twisted again.

Lol@wannabe northindian telugu woman. Ppl resort to such talk when they are super frustrated and have nothing better to counter the other person's point.

Anyway, I made my point. i won't get into any more arguments here. I have better things to do. Adios!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Kinnera wrote:
I have better things to do.

sent you a song you may wanna play ... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:33 pm

kinnera you are very much a wannabe northindian who is unable to take pride in your rich cultural heritage unlike PI, vakavaka pakapaka, indophile, smArtha, and charvakA. perhaps you can ask them with folded hands to tutor you on the poetry and music of annamayya and saint thyagaraja. they may or may not oblige depending on your degree of humility. try. it may change your outlook on life.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:34 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
I have better things to do.

sent you a song you may wanna play ... Wink
Nopes. I am engrossed in the book. This is a li'l distraction. I want to go back to it again. Will listen to the song later. Thanx Smile.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:kinnera you are very much a wannabe northindian who is unable to take pride in your rich cultural heritage unlike PI, vakavaka pakapaka, indophile, smArtha, and charvakA. perhaps you can ask them with folded hands to tutor you on the poetry and music of annamayya and saint thyagaraja.  they may or may not oblige depending on your degree of humility. try. it may change your outlook on life.
nee mokham. I enjoy annamayya and thyagaraja's compositions as much as i enjoy the other kinds. Who says I don't?

btw, i was born and brought up in Hyderabad and was exposed to a lot of bollywood and i enjoy it as much as i enjoy other stuff. So?

anyway, gn.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:49 pm

it's possible i suppose. even ramanujan was influenced by that tripos tutor who wrote that forgettable trigonometry book, whathsisface.

kishore kumar's showmanship probably could have had some influence.

unless and until i hear a shrill freddie mercury track that pierces my eardrums so much that i writhe in pain, i shall consider keech-keech mami's influence, from a musical perspective, to be zilch.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

wannabe northindian dravidian telugu woman! what's the relevance of caste in this discussion?

wondering which one is the main cuss word here

wannabe northindian?
dravidian?
telugu?
woman?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:18 pm

BK -- are you confused? i didn't cuss anyone. look carefully. there is no maa or behen and no one is being chod-ed.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:BK -- are you confused? i didn't cuss anyone. look carefully. there is no maa or behen and no one is being chod-ed.

so ok, you didn't give a gaali, if that's what you wanna insist. Then what did you do when you posted, '
wannabe northindian dravidian telugu woman!'?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:BK -- are you confused? i didn't cuss anyone. look carefully. there is no maa or behen and no one is being chod-ed.

so ok, you didn't give a gaali, if that's what you wanna insist. Then what did you do when you posted, '

kinnera made an irrelevant reference to one part of my identity and i returned the favor. that's all.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

kinnera made an irrelevant reference to one part of my identity and i returned the favor. that's all.

i see. when people say words like bc, mc, mf, f'er, etc, they are likely denoting their frustration, or trying to shut the other one up by intimidation, and maybe showcasing their affinity towards, uh, french words. when people use other words like label, region, gender, etc, they are sorta bringing out their biases, or maybe something that they think the receiver will get offended by. kinnera's bias/insult was quite clear and she explained where it comes from. i think i get yours too, but i would have rather you explain it. Looks like you don't want to.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:41 pm

bw wrote:

unless and until i hear a shrill freddie mercury track that pierces my eardrums so much that i writhe in pain, i shall consider keech-keech mami's influence, from a musical perspective, to be zilch.

I am literally rolling on the floor laughing @keech-keech mami! Yeah, you're right on the money with that nomenclature. Laughing

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:40 am

The keech-keech mami of the south has to be the singer Chitra whose shrillness can break even the sturdiest china. To me, the best female singer ever to grace Indian cinema was P. Susheela.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:43 am

goodcitizn wrote:The keech-keech mami of the south has to be the singer Chitra whose shrillness can break even the sturdiest china. To me, the best female singer ever to grace Indian cinema was P. Susheela.

how about s.janaki? isn't she also a keech-keech mami?

i don't know why singing in a shrill, falsetto voice is considered "sweet".

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:48 am

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

I am literally rolling on the floor laughing @keech-keech mami! Yeah, you're right on the money with that nomenclature. Laughing

One doesn't.say "literally" unless.one were actually rolling on the floor. were you?

It's easy and  risk free to join in and agree after others have already taken the risk and expressed an opinion that might be unpopular, right?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:53 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:The keech-keech mami of the south has to be the singer Chitra whose shrillness can break even the sturdiest china. To me, the best female singer ever to grace Indian cinema was P. Susheela.

Are you saying that lata mangeshkar sang in falsetto?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:02 am

swapna wrote:
bw wrote:

Are you saying that lata mangeshkar sang in falsetto?

i don't know if the right technical term is "falsetto" but she does screech (just like many other female playback singers) at an artificial, very high-pitched register.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:15 am

swapna wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

One doesn't.say "literally" unless.one were actually rolling on the floor. were you?

It's easy and  risk free to join in and agree after others have already taken the risk and expressed an opinion that might be unpopular, right?

Not necessarily. You haven't kept up with changing times, literally.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/15/living/literally-definition/

Rather than trying to pick fights with the people here you are better off indulging in your favorite pastime of torturing the guppies in your fish tank with a toothpick.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:32 am

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:42 am

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:46 am

bw wrote:

L.R.Eswari was more keech keech than S.Janaki but nothing compared to Chitra. For example, listen to this song after 4:55 minutes...

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:14 am

I may have posted this earlier too... I guess more hindi speakers are tolerant of LM's voice than non-hindi speakers... maybe coz for one, we had not much option but more importantly, for me it was because of the way she puts feelings in her words and the context of the song. If it was something funny, you could sense a subtle laughter. same with emotions like frustration, sadness, loneliness, mischief, love, maternal love, all kinds of emotions that were on-screen enacted well by the actors, but even if you heard it on the radio, you could get past the screechiness and sense the feelings, as she stressed on the right word the right amount of time. I don't know if people who don't know the language well can sense the same in her songs. Or maybe it's just me who focuses more on the lyrics and emotions than the notes. If at all FM was influenced by her, it might have been this aspect of it, although I am pretty sure he didn't know Hindi or Marathi. If not LM, maybe that's the part of Bollywood that may have influenced him i.e. music being the part of the drama it underscored, and vice versa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:31 am

Posted in the wrong thread.

I love sweet, melodious, gentle- high pitched soprano feminine voices..Susheela, Latha, Janaki, Chitra and others..enjoy listening to them.
And can't really stand low-pitched women's voices (muratu- karakara kathal ) alto like Eshwari is tolerable, her style of singing- the pep and enthu make it nice! But, female tenor and bass are coarse and rough, jarring..will quickly switch to more pleasant voices.

Interestingly, I find less and less things in common - even when it comes to interests and taste in this forum. To a point - being the only "different kind/one" is okay exception is okay..beyond that, it's not so much fun (becomes uncomfortable, awkward..something to be avoided).

There are only two reasons (to me) one interacts in public forums..
1) to really relate to what others say-their interests and it's mutual..and have good-cordial conversations. 
2) some genuine personal affection/likeablity, even if one disagrees with all the views of others. 

May be with time..people do amalgamate with others- who have a lot it common (that trumps everything) and others don't matter at all! 

We accept what it is!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:50 am

M, nice to hear from you. I like to state what I like, whether it's popular or not. it's more fun that way Smile

I myself normally have a high pitched shrill ugly voice. luckily I can't put a high volume behind it, so it's slightly more tolerable, I hope. I love it whenever I get sick and can bring some husky in my voice. Just a couple of weeks ago I had that voice and older was making fun of it. I said I like my voice like this coz it souds sexier that way. XH was sitting there and laughing too (at the idea of me talking sexily). Older ask me to bring the sexy in. So I began talking in a husky voice, and then added a tone to it. After a certain modulation XH raised an eyebrow and did 'hmm, that's really sexy'. Older laughed out loud, I shuddered from the general ughness of it, and went back to my normal non-sexy voice. But ya, I am not talented like my sibs but I can talk in a mad-mom-man voice if I need to straighten my kids up.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:57 am

goodcitizn wrote:
L.R.Eswari was more keech keech than S.Janaki but nothing compared to Chitra. For example, listen to this song after 4:55 minutes...

yikes!! that was unbearable and scary! chitra, a keech-keech queen alright.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:57 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:kinnera you are very much a wannabe northindian who is unable to take pride in your rich cultural heritage unlike PI, vakavaka pakapaka, indophile, smArtha, and charvakA. perhaps you can ask them with folded hands to tutor you on the poetry and music of annamayya and saint thyagaraja.  they may or may not oblige depending on your degree of humility. try. it may change your outlook on life.
Read my response here:

https://such.forumotion.com/t28279-telugu-annamayya-brahmamokkate-ahead-of-times

I don't know how much of the lyrics of the great compositions of Annamayya and Tyagaraja you understand. Unless you understand the lyrics, you cannot get the depth and the feel of the song.
You claim to be a tambrahm at every opportunity that you get, but you don't seem to have any knowledge of the Upanishards or the Gita or the great works of Sankaracharya and the indian philosophy. Your knowledge is limited only to the bhakti movement. With your contempt for Sanskrit, hindi, Aryans, north indians, etc you might've stayed away from all the Sanskrit works and the (so called) aryan philosophy. Shed that contempt and your fanaticism for Tamil and perhaps you can ask vakavaka pakapaka, indophile, and smArtha with folded hands to tutor you on not just the deeper meaning of poetry and music of annamayya and saint thyagaraja but also on the indian philosophy.  they may or may not oblige depending on your degree of humility. try. it may change your outlook on life.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:03 am

Maria S wrote:
Interestingly, I find less and less things in common - even when it comes to interests and taste in this forum. To a point - being the only "different kind/one" is okay exception is okay..beyond that, it's not so much fun (becomes uncomfortable, awkward..something to be avoided).

There are only two reasons (to me) one interacts in public forums..
1) to really relate to what others say-their interests and it's mutual..and have good-cordial conversations. 
2) some genuine personal affection/likeablity, even if one disagrees with all the views of others. 

May be with time..people do amalgamate with others- who have a lot it common (that trumps everything) and others don't matter at all! 

We accept what it is!

scratch scratch

who is 'amalgamating' with whom? who doesn't matter?  who is not giving you genuine affection? what does all that have to do with screechy playback singers?

anyway, glad you have accepted whatever it is.

i am reminded of mercury and chemistry lab now.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:20 am

If you understand that one line I said..I am glad you are glad. 

It's odd that you immediately made it personal..I was making general statements about ALL online forums where people spend time- days, weeks, months years and years together...I would assume normal human behaviour would be to develop some affection for them- I would not spend years with people (no matter who they are)and not have any affection concern for their wellbeing..if I don't, don't see any point discussing any topic with them. 

If you don't understand what I am saying..not to worry..your time would be better spent not dealing with me at all!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:31 am

that flaming homo freddie mercury hated india and never wanted to be associated with anything indian in his life. like ever. including the music. he thought he was parsi nobility from iran. highly unlikely he took inspiration from some bollywood singers

and if youtube warriors dont think he ever screeched, listen to another one bites the dust & ogre battle. only thing worse is axl rose & elton john's version of bohemian raphsody. axl rose, now that's an annoying screecher who made it big. rock music is full of screechers

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next