Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amaravati declared as Heritage City

5 posters

Go down

Amaravati declared as Heritage City Empty Amaravati declared as Heritage City

Post by indophile Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Does that mean the capital will not be at least named Amaravati, but they would stick with that Tullur? I wish someone in Naidu's govt knows a little Kannada.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Vijayawada/amaravathi-declared-heritage-city/article6708617.ece?homepage=true

indophile

Back to top Go down

Amaravati declared as Heritage City Empty Re: Amaravati declared as Heritage City

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:14 pm

A heritage city can also be a capital. 

Do you think they will call the capital Vijayawada?

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Amaravati declared as Heritage City Empty Re: Amaravati declared as Heritage City

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:23 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:A heritage city can also be a capital. 

My vote is for Dopidipuram or Dochkunnapatnam. What do you think of Vastunagaram?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:35 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

My vote is for Dopidipuram or Dochkunnapatnam. What do you think of Vastunagaram?
May be, they will call the jail in the capital Dopidipuram so that Jagan can be the first guest. It sounds better than Chanchalguda.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:38 am

I've no problem if they call it Vijayawada or Guntur or whatever as long as it wouldn't become a laughing stock in another state. Then it will be like that Pakistani diplomat whose name is Akbar Zeb (Big D..k in Arabic). My gripe is when they come up with new names named after recent politicians whose contributions to public good are questionable like YSR District, or the current move to call the capital as NTR City or bifurcate Ananthpur Dt., and call the Hindupur part NTR Dt.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:28 pm

indophile wrote:

I've no problem if they call it Vijayawada or Guntur or whatever as long as it wouldn't become a laughing stock in another state. Then it will be like that Pakistani diplomat whose name is Akbar Zeb (Big D..k in Arabic). My gripe is when they come up with new names named after recent politicians whose contributions to public good are questionable like YSR District, or the current move to call the capital as NTR City or bifurcate Ananthpur Dt., and call the Hindupur part NTR Dt.
ya, the attempt to change the historic name of Kadapa to YSR district after after crook really enrages me. Why didn't the ppl protest? Were they so loyal to ysr for all the goodies he distributed with the state's exchequer?

Here's how Kadapa got its name:

"The city's name originated from the Telugu word "Kadapa" meaning threshold or gate. It acquired this name with its relation to the Tirumala Hills; one had to pass through Cuddapah in olden days to reach Tirumala Hills.[10] In old Telugu the word Kadapa meant a threshold which in modern standard Telugu is evolved to gadapa while the city's name retained the old flavour." wiki

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:14 pm

Kinnera wrote:
indophile wrote:

ya, the attempt to change the historic name of Kadapa to YSR district after after crook really enrages me. Why didn't the ppl protest? Were they so loyal to ysr for all the goodies he distributed with the state's exchequer?

Here's how Kadapa got its name:

"The city's name originated from the Telugu word "Kadapa" meaning threshold or gate. It acquired this name with its relation to the Tirumala Hills; one had to pass through Cuddapah in olden days to reach Tirumala Hills.[10] In old Telugu the word Kadapa meant a threshold which in modern standard Telugu is evolved to gadapa while the city's name retained the old flavour." wiki

ఈరోజుల్లో ఇళ్ళలో గడపగూడా తీసేస్తున్నారు. మాఇల్లు రెనొవేట్ చేసినప్పుడు, గట్టిగా గడపలు పెట్టించా. పాతవి ఎలుకలు కొట్టేశాయ్.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:33 pm

come on now....should thailand change phuket to something less funny? just coz the new capital name translates to pussy city in kannada doesnt mean it should be changed.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah, sounds like a valid argument. There's a town in upstate New York (off Exit 21 on the NY State Thruway) which has an arguably more shocking name. People are still living there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxsackie,_New_York

Should make a good homophone cryptic clue.  Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:52 pm

indophile wrote:Yeah, sounds like a valid argument. There's a town in upstate New York (off Exit 21 on the NY State Thruway) which has an arguably more shocking name. People are still living there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coxsackie,_New_York

Should make a good homophone cryptic clue.  Smile
there's even a virus named that apparently. anyhow why should any telugu care what  kannada people think?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down