Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How and why number of young Indian couples getting divorced has risen sharply

+3
truthbetold
Merlot Daruwala
confuzzled dude
7 posters

Go down

How and why number of young Indian couples getting divorced has risen sharply Empty How and why number of young Indian couples getting divorced has risen sharply

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.hindustantimes.com/sexandrelationships/why-number-of-young-indian-couples-getting-divorced-has-risen-sharply/article1-1303204.aspx

(actually it's just one of the ex-couple who explained)

Divorced before 30: 5 ex-couples explain what went wrong with their marriages
"He had very different expectations of a wife"
Marriage lasted: 1 month
Neha Jayant*, 29, met Brijesh Ahluwalia*, 29, through common friends in London six months ago. They were both investment bankers looking for a long-term commitment. “Right away, we entered into a relationship with marriage as the goal,” she says. A month in, in August, the couple returned to Delhi for their wedding. They then relocated to Toronto in Canada, where Brijesh’s parents live. One month later, Jayant packed her bags and returned to Delhi. “Brijesh had a very jealous streak,” she says. “It began spinning out of control. When I went to job interviews, he would criticise the length of my formal skirt and ask me lewd questions about what I was actually applying for. After a party hosted by his parents, he screamed at me for 45 minutes because I had spent 10 minutes talking to another man.” Jayant says she was in shock, and afraid that the verbal abuse would escalate into physical violence. “He was a completely different person after we got married. He had all these expectations of a ‘wife’ which he never had for a ‘girlfriend’,” she says.
The couple’s divorce is now in the process of being finalised.

"It was clear we were not meant for each other"
Marriage lasted: 3 years
He was quick-tempered; she was impatient. It should have been a warning sign, but they saw it as a symbol of all they had in common. They were both young, ambitious marketing executives in a rush to settle down. “We met through an ad in the paper,” says Anisha*, 25. “I posted the ad, looking for a life partner who would let me be me, let me work after marriage.” Amit*, 28, seemed perfect. They met, courted and married in 2012. The arguments started soon after. “Two years into the marriage, it was clear that we were not meant to be together,” says Anisha. A year on, the couple had secured a divorce.  “It was the best thing for both of us,” says Amit. “Looking back, there were things we both did wrong. I would share minute details of our relationship with my parents, for example.” Now, Amit is not thinking of getting married again. “But if that happens, I will certainly work on my anger,” he says, “and try to find someone more patient.”

"He expected me to cook"
Marriage lasted: 18 months

They married after a whirlwind romance that lasted six months, only to develop a host of problems within the next year and a half. They now say the situation could have been different if they had allowed for a lengthier courtship. “We were both fresh out of failed relationships and in a hurry to get married. It was a thoughtless decision,” says Mahua*, 35, an IT executive. The couple differed in tastes and values. “He would expect me to get home from work and cook for him while he watched television. I was revolted at the idea of me toiling while he put his feet up,” she says. Also, she earned well and ended up paying for most of their common expenses. Mahua feels the couple might have stood a chance if they could have moved out of his parents’ home, but this suggestion caused a large uproar and she was accused of trying to break up the family. “That the husband and wife should love each other is a necessary but not sufficient condition. It is also important that the tastes and values match,” she says. In 2009, the couple got a divorce. They are now both happily remarried.
“This time, I have found someone who is what he says he is,” says Mahua. “I’ve learnt the hard way that you can’t change yourself, or someone else.”

"I suspect he was gay"
Marriage lasted: 3 months
Kaushani Mittal*, 26, met her ex-husband through a matrimonial website. Rajat* was 27, an architect based in Seattle. He came to Mumbai to meet her three weeks in. A month later, she flew to Seattle to marry him. “When we didn’t kiss even two months after our wedding, I began to wonder what was going on,” she says. Rajat told her he had intimacy issues and would need time. Meanwhile, his mother, who lived with them, began to pry and read their messages. “He had warned me that she was possessive. But he did nothing to help,” says Mittal. Three months in, Mittal returned to Mumbai and began divorce proceedings. “Though he still denies it, he is clearly gay,” she says. “It really took a toll on my self-esteem. It has made me develop trust issues, for which I’ve been in therapy.”

"He changed after the wedding"
Marriage lasted: 2 years
Rashmi*, 30, is still in shock that her seven-year relationship fell apart less than seven days after marriage. The two met in business school in 2006 and fell in love. “He was very affectionate and caring,” says Rashmi. “But he had always dreamed of moving to Mumbai to be an actor.” When the relationship became serious, the couple discussed how she could move to Mumbai with him, find a job, and support him while he looked for his break. They were married in 2012, with the consent of both families. “I noticed a change in his behaviour the day after our wedding,” says Rashmi. “He was no longer the loving, caring man I knew. And he wanted to move to Mumbai immediately.” When Rashmi said she needed time to quit her job in Lucknow and find a new one in Mumbai, he said she could stay behind.  “This was less than a week after the wedding,” she says. Finally, Rashmi agreed to go with him for a short while. In Mumbai, he had friends he had never told her about. “He was acting like a big shot. It was like he never had any love for me.” Rashmi returned home. “For two years, I waited in Lucknow,” she says. “I can count on my fingers the number of times we spoke over the phone. We had very few meetings.”
Two months ago, she filed for divorce. Rashmi is now assistant general manager at a frozen foods factory; Rahul* is in Mumbai, seeking his big break.

Back to top Go down

How and why number of young Indian couples getting divorced has risen sharply Empty Re: How and why number of young Indian couples getting divorced has risen sharply

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:23 pm

What are the torchbearers of Hinduism waiting for? Where is the outrage against this grave apacharam? they should immediately launch "Saat Phere - Sau Saal Ka Safar" campaign to abolish divorce.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

How and why number of young Indian couples getting divorced has risen sharply Empty Re: How and why number of young Indian couples getting divorced has risen sharply

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:17 am

Indian women have become sickular under UPA rule. They need to be re-educated about Indian culture and traditions. Shri Ram Sene volunteers to undertake this critical piece of nation building - it's their area of expertise.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:29 am

there they go again. cd and MD. 

There are f'ed up by modi's victory, they can't distinguish left hand from right hand. 

Sun came up in the east today.  We can expect a post from CD blaming Modi for that. Followed by MD with unkils, upps aunty and Ram sena. 

losers gone mental.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:17 pm

truthbetold wrote:there they go again. cd and MD. 

There are f'ed up by modi's victory, they can't distinguish left hand from right hand. 

Sun came up in the east today.  We can expect a post from CD blaming Modi for that. Followed by MD with unkils, upps aunty and Ram sena. 

losers gone mental.
-> These days, TBT sees and hears Modiji everywhere, even when someone said Rama..  Krishna.. On top of that he is not being a true Hindu by rejecting core Hindu values nor helping the cause of keeping Hinduism alive in India despite the known threat from Islam, whose percentage of population went up by 0.7% in last decade at which rate Hindus will become a minority by 2054, even the great great great Telugu chief minister CBN is asking Andhras to reproduce at a higher rate. So, TBT, be true to your dharma, as said here

"There is no such thing as divorce. Manu Samhita says that the woman who leaves her husband should be shunned by the society. Not only should no other man ever marry her, those who wish to follow the brahminical principles strictly, men or women, they should no longer associate with that mataji. A woman who leaves her husband, in Vedic culture, has no other place to turn."
http://hinduismandrelationships.com/index.php/divorce-and-remarriage

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:24 pm

CD,

stop posting like a juvenile. When you are exposed as stupid, just learn from it and not post like that again.  You are old enough to start learning.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

losers gone mental.
-> These days, TBT Comrade sees and hears Modiji everywhere, even when someone said Rama..  Krishna.. On top of that he is not being a true Hindu by rejecting core Hindu values nor helping the cause of keeping Hinduism alive in India despite the known threat from Islam, whose percentage of population went up by 0.7% in last decade at which rate Hindus will become a minority by 2054, even the great great great Telugu chief minister CBN is asking Andhras to reproduce at a higher rate. So, TBT, be true to your dharma, as said here

"There is no such thing as divorce. Manu Samhita says that the woman who leaves her husband should be shunned by the society. Not only should no other man ever marry her, those who wish to follow the brahminical principles strictly, men or women, they should no longer associate with that mataji. A woman who leaves her husband, in Vedic culture, has no other place to turn."
http://hinduismandrelationships.com/index.php/divorce-and-remarriage

*Fixed*
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 pm

truthbetold wrote:CD,

stop posting like a juvenile. When you are exposed as stupid, just learn from it and not post like that again.  You are old enough to start learning.
exposed, when & where?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Indian women have become sickular under UPA rule. They need to be re-educated about Indian culture and traditions. Shri Ram Sene volunteers to undertake this critical piece of nation building - it's their area of expertise.
Hahaha! special operations unit.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:37 pm

losers gone mental.

Noticing over the last few days. They come across as two mutual masterbators.

Married couples were almost never made for each other. in "those" days people harped on "you need to adjust and give and take". The modern lifestyle has thrown out those philosophies from work, family, and personal lives. Life after marriage is NEVER the same as before marriage. The young couple accelerate well and once the set speed is reached - they get married - and assume they can go on cruise forever.

Oh, the oldies also have changed not getting out of their sons and daughters life - this is an even bigger problem. Finally, a lot depends on how they were brought up before marriage - and it takes a family to understand the other family. Quite a few young married couples in my extended family are under my observation, and it is interesting to notice what is outwardly noticeable. For most part, they are like the couples from previous gen although noticed a couple of nasty divorces - which is totally new development.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

losers gone mental.

Married couples were almost never made for each other. in "those" days people harped on "you need to adjust and give and take". The modern lifestyle has thrown out those philosophies from work, family, and personal lives. Life after marriage is NEVER the same as before marriage. The young couple accelerate well and once the set speed is reached - they get married - and assume they can go on cruise forever.

Oh, the oldies also have changed not getting out of their sons and daughters life - this is an even bigger problem. Finally, a lot depends on how they were brought up before marriage - and it takes a family to understand the other family. Quite a few young married couples in my extended family are under my observation, and it is interesting to notice what is outwardly noticeable. For most part, they are like the couples from previous gen although noticed a couple of nasty divorces - which is totally new development.
Lot of talk, no substance or logic. What're you trying to say?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:56 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

losers gone mental.

Oh, the oldies also have changed not getting out of their sons and daughters life - this is an even bigger problem.......
Lot of talk, no substance or logic. What're you trying to say?

That it is all the fault of Modi, RSS, BJP , and the hindus (who are all terrorists).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:11 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:http://www.hindustantimes.com/sexandrelationships/why-number-of-young-indian-couples-getting-divorced-has-risen-sharply/article1-1303204.aspx

(actually it's just one of the ex-couple who explained)

Divorced before 30: 5 ex-couples explain what went wrong with their marriages
"He had very different expectations of a wife"
Marriage lasted: 1 month
Neha Jayant*, 29, met Brijesh Ahluwalia*, 29, through common friends in London six months ago. They were both investment bankers looking for a long-term commitment. “Right away, we entered into a relationship with marriage as the goal,” she says. A month in, in August, the couple returned to Delhi for their wedding. They then relocated to Toronto in Canada, where Brijesh’s parents live. One month later, Jayant packed her bags and returned to Delhi. “Brijesh had a very jealous streak,” she says. “It began spinning out of control. When I went to job interviews, he would criticise the length of my formal skirt and ask me lewd questions about what I was actually applying for. After a party hosted by his parents, he screamed at me for 45 minutes because I had spent 10 minutes talking to another man.” Jayant says she was in shock, and afraid that the verbal abuse would escalate into physical violence. “He was a completely different person after we got married. He had all these expectations of a ‘wife’ which he never had for a ‘girlfriend’,” she says.
The couple’s divorce is now in the process of being finalised.

"It was clear we were not meant for each other"
Marriage lasted: 3 years
He was quick-tempered; she was impatient. It should have been a warning sign, but they saw it as a symbol of all they had in common. They were both young, ambitious marketing executives in a rush to settle down. “We met through an ad in the paper,” says Anisha*, 25. “I posted the ad, looking for a life partner who would let me be me, let me work after marriage.” Amit*, 28, seemed perfect. They met, courted and married in 2012. The arguments started soon after. “Two years into the marriage, it was clear that we were not meant to be together,” says Anisha. A year on, the couple had secured a divorce.  “It was the best thing for both of us,” says Amit. “Looking back, there were things we both did wrong. I would share minute details of our relationship with my parents, for example.” Now, Amit is not thinking of getting married again. “But if that happens, I will certainly work on my anger,” he says, “and try to find someone more patient.”

"He expected me to cook"
Marriage lasted: 18 months

They married after a whirlwind romance that lasted six months, only to develop a host of problems within the next year and a half. They now say the situation could have been different if they had allowed for a lengthier courtship. “We were both fresh out of failed relationships and in a hurry to get married. It was a thoughtless decision,” says Mahua*, 35, an IT executive. The couple differed in tastes and values. “He would expect me to get home from work and cook for him while he watched television. I was revolted at the idea of me toiling while he put his feet up,” she says. Also, she earned well and ended up paying for most of their common expenses. Mahua feels the couple might have stood a chance if they could have moved out of his parents’ home, but this suggestion caused a large uproar and she was accused of trying to break up the family. “That the husband and wife should love each other is a necessary but not sufficient condition. It is also important that the tastes and values match,” she says. In 2009, the couple got a divorce. They are now both happily remarried.
“This time, I have found someone who is what he says he is,” says Mahua. “I’ve learnt the hard way that you can’t change yourself, or someone else.”

"I suspect he was gay"
Marriage lasted: 3 months
Kaushani Mittal*, 26, met her ex-husband through a matrimonial website. Rajat* was 27, an architect based in Seattle. He came to Mumbai to meet her three weeks in. A month later, she flew to Seattle to marry him. “When we didn’t kiss even two months after our wedding, I began to wonder what was going on,” she says. Rajat told her he had intimacy issues and would need time. Meanwhile, his mother, who lived with them, began to pry and read their messages. “He had warned me that she was possessive. But he did nothing to help,” says Mittal. Three months in, Mittal returned to Mumbai and began divorce proceedings. “Though he still denies it, he is clearly gay,” she says. “It really took a toll on my self-esteem. It has made me develop trust issues, for which I’ve been in therapy.”

"He changed after the wedding"
Marriage lasted: 2 years
Rashmi*, 30, is still in shock that her seven-year relationship fell apart less than seven days after marriage. The two met in business school in 2006 and fell in love. “He was very affectionate and caring,” says Rashmi. “But he had always dreamed of moving to Mumbai to be an actor.” When the relationship became serious, the couple discussed how she could move to Mumbai with him, find a job, and support him while he looked for his break. They were married in 2012, with the consent of both families. “I noticed a change in his behaviour the day after our wedding,” says Rashmi. “He was no longer the loving, caring man I knew. And he wanted to move to Mumbai immediately.” When Rashmi said she needed time to quit her job in Lucknow and find a new one in Mumbai, he said she could stay behind.  “This was less than a week after the wedding,” she says. Finally, Rashmi agreed to go with him for a short while. In Mumbai, he had friends he had never told her about. “He was acting like a big shot. It was like he never had any love for me.” Rashmi returned home. “For two years, I waited in Lucknow,” she says. “I can count on my fingers the number of times we spoke over the phone. We had very few meetings.”
Two months ago, she filed for divorce. Rashmi is now assistant general manager at a frozen foods factory; Rahul* is in Mumbai, seeking his big break.
>>>More expectations going in, less family involvement, less social pressure and less stigma attached to divorce. People are also becoming more assertive about what they want and not willing to put up with nutcases who are abusive. You wonder how guys like the jealous investment banker make it through the day. Anyway, the trend was inevitable.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:20 pm

actually, in some ways i have respect for these young people. sure, some of them may have leaped too soon, but when you hear them out, you wonder why would anyone want to suffer any more in that situation.

currently i am trying to get a bff break off a relationship, or atleast get a stronger hand. she is in such an abusive relationship that she doesn't even realize it. but the thing is, given my history, i have to take steps carefully, or they will say i myself am divorced and hence encouraging others too. But seriously, why stay married to an asshole. She will crush my head if I ever tell her he is an asshole hehe... but anyway, i can practice self-restraint where it's prudent.

She has started ignoring my messages now lol. But i will try even more. can't see her so miserable. breaks my heart to hear her actually.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:33 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:actually, in some ways i have respect for these young people. sure, some of them may have leaped too soon, but when you hear them out, you wonder why would anyone want to suffer any more in that situation.

currently i am trying to get a bff break off a relationship, or atleast get a stronger hand. she is in such an abusive relationship that she doesn't even realize it. but the thing is, given my history, i have to take steps carefully, or they will say i myself am divorced and hence encouraging others too. But seriously, why stay married to an asshole. She will crush my head if I ever tell her he is an asshole hehe... but anyway, i can practice self-restraint where it's prudent.

She has started ignoring my messages now lol. But i will try even more. can't see her so miserable. breaks my heart to hear her actually.

That is one reason why courts look at the qualification and credibility of a witness. The fact that you are divorced precludes you from giving advice on some matters - unless asked. It is a sureway to lose friends.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:actually, in some ways i have respect for these young people. sure, some of them may have leaped too soon, but when you hear them out, you wonder why would anyone want to suffer any more in that situation.

That is one reason why courts look at the qualification and credibility of a witness. The fact that you are divorced precludes you from giving advice on some matters - unless asked.  It is a sureway to lose friends.

we have been friends for 30 years. i will surely lose her if i don't try to help. besides, i never liked that dude, but i never interfered earlier because she indicated that she was fine inspite of the obvious. but this time i am involved, because she is near-breakdown and asked for help, however, she doesn't like the help i am giving. will take some time convincing and she is one stubborn cookie, but hopefully i can help her.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

That is one reason why courts look at the qualification and credibility of a witness. The fact that you are divorced precludes you from giving advice on some matters - unless asked.  It is a sureway to lose friends.

we have been friends for 30 years. i will surely lose her if i don't try to help. besides, i never liked that dude, but i never interfered earlier because she indicated that she was fine inspite of the obvious. but this time i am involved, because she is near-breakdown and asked for help, however, she doesn't like the help i am giving. will take some time convincing and she is one stubborn cookie, but hopefully i can help her.

although you know her for 30 years, you may not know her completely. Her financial and family matters may be different. Although women blabber a lot about themselves to their friends there are still some who dont tell it all.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:06 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

>>>TW: Despite your good intentions, tread carefully if you are going down this path. It is easy to be cast as the villain no matter how this thing turns out. Just looking out for you here. Also, there are two sides to every story and people are a lot more complicated than they may seem on the surface. This has been one of my hard lessons of my twenties.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Kris wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

>>>TW: Despite your good intentions, tread carefully if you are going down this path. It is easy to be cast as the villain no matter how this thing turns out. Just looking out for you here. Also, there are two sides to every story and people are a lot more complicated than they may seem on the surface. This has been one of my hard lessons of my twenties.

ya i know, even though i don't care about being labeled a villian. Have earned that title many times. It has sometimes taken people 20 years to realize how i was right and actually trying to help them when they were dissing me all over...

anyway, the first time i suggested her breaking it off, she got mad and me. so i backed off there and changed my approach... i began the talks of empowering herself first. baby steps. it's for her to decide what she wants to do. just that talking to me, she gets to hear another voice of reason. so i will continue doing that as long as i think she can think rationally again. but i cannot stop pinging her, even if at the gaps of 4-5 days each time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:06 pm

losers gone mental.

master debators?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:20 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

master debators?

???? My foot. Good debaters dont dodge the questions, acknowledge the opponents right points, and when cornered dont disappear.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down