Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SUCH Film Club

+2
charvaka
Mosquito
6 posters

Go down

SUCH Film Club Empty SUCH Film Club

Post by Mosquito Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:02 pm

Friends,

By popular demand we are starting SUCH film club. Every Wednesday I will post a film by next Tuesday we can watch and discuss it. I will be picking films from all over the world. I want to start with with a Telugu film(for obvious reasons Wink).

This week's film is a Telugu film called "Vanaja". This film was directed by Rajnesh Domalapalli. This film has won many awards.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832971/

Links are down below:

http://movies.rangu.com/watch-vanaja-telugu-movie-online
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

SUCH Film Club Empty Re: SUCH Film Club

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:10 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:Friends,

By popular demand we are starting SUCH film club. Every Wednesday I will post a film by next Tuesday we can watch and discuss it. I will be picking films from all over the world. I want to start with with a Telugu film(for obvious reasons Wink).

This week's film is a Telugu film called "Vanaja". This film was directed by Rajnesh Domalapalli. This film has won many awards.

Links are down below:

For husband and kids, the sudden sound of a madrassi song, or some CM wasn't enough, now that they will see me watch a telugu film, I think they will suspect something is seriously seriously wrong with me.

But will watch this over the weekend. Used to watch the random regional movies on tv before, even w/o the subtitles, and would still watch the WHOLE movie... so this gotta be better than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:14 pm

It's a good movie -- well worth watching.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:15 pm

charvaka wrote:It's a good movie -- well worth watching.

I do naat waatch any telugu movie until I read Jeevi's review. At least three-point-five starsU. Vokay!

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Who is jeevi?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:28 pm

charvaka wrote:Who is jeevi?

This guy: http://idlebrain.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Richard Hed wrote:

A jIvi Jeevi is unintentionally funny. He badly needs an editor.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:05 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:

Links are down below:

For husband and kids, the sudden sound of a madrassi song, or some CM wasn't enough, now that they will see me watch a telugu film, I think they will suspect something is seriously seriously wrong with me.

But will watch this over the weekend. Used to watch the random regional movies on tv before, even w/o the subtitles, and would still watch the WHOLE movie... so this gotta be better than that.

What do you mean by Madrassi song? A song only people from Madras know(not even Tamils who are not Madras dont know)?

You dont have to watch the film, if you dont want to.

Also, As I said I will be posting films from all over the world. I am only starting with a Telugu film.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:27 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

Links are down below:

What do you mean by Madrassi song? A song only people from Madras know(not even Tamils who are not Madras dont know)?

You dont have to watch the film, if you dont want to.

Also, As I said I will be posting films from all over the world. I am only starting with a Telugu film.

sometimes i don't know what to do when someone else other than my original target gets miffed. Joka tha pi... I will surely watch the movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:51 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
Richard Hed wrote:

A jIvi Jeevi is unintentionally funny. He badly needs an editor.

Very True! You should've seen his reviews in 2003 - the butcheration of english was on!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:48 pm

Links are down below:

Interesting choice, PI.

I watched this some years ago - will watch it again now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Nooo. Watched this movie sometime ago with great expectations. Was disappointed. Can't watch it again to write my negative feedback abt it. I don't think it was even released in india. All the awards it won were from the westerners. They love to give awards to books or movies which depict india's class, caste, racial differences. Arvind adiga's book, white tiger is another starking example (yuck!). Far from reality. What the westerners see in those movies and what they read in such books is what they think how india is and they love it.

I'm disappointed with this choice, pi. 'Grahanam' would've been a better choice. It won many awards too and received critical acclaim, indian of course, not by some westerners with some half-baked ideas abt india. A very well made movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:37 pm

kinnera wrote:Nooo. Watched this movie sometime ago with great expectations. Was disappointed. Can't watch it again to write my negative feedback abt it. I don't think it was even released in india. All the awards it won were from the westerners. They love to give awards to books or movies which depict india's class, caste, racial differences. Arvind adiga's book, white tiger is another starking example (yuck!). Far from reality. What the westerners see in those movies and what they read in such books is what they think how india is and they love it.

I'm disappointed with this choice, pi. 'Grahanam' would've been a better choice. It won many awards too and received critical acclaim, indian of course, not by some westerners with some half-baked ideas abt india. A very well made movie.

If you watched it once, you dont have to watch it again. You can always bash it.(That's what makes it more fun.) Grahanam(which is my fav Indian film of recent times) is also definitely on my list.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I intend to bash this movie too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:43 pm

blabberwock wrote:I intend to bash this movie too.

Thanks for the support, bw Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:49 pm

kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:I intend to bash this movie too.

Thanks for the support, bw Smile

naa meeda adhara padavachu eppudaina.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:17 pm

Links are down below:

I've seen Vanaja some 2-3 years ago. It's available on Netflix. A highly engaging movie.

Anyone here seen "Garam Hawa" with Balaraj Shahni. "Nikha" with Salma Agha is another good movie (I recently heard that Salma Agha's dad and Prthviraj Kapoor were related).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 pm

[quote="blabberwock"]
kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

What you said there in Telugu can convey two very different meanings. It all depends on the swaram and sthaayi behind the sentence when vocalized:-Smile

One meaning is ------------ you can always depend on my support

Another meaning is -------- you can depend on me once in a while

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by tleaf Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:44 pm

watched this movie a long time back. from what i recall: unconventional plot with two strong female characters: the matriarch-mistress of the house and the young maid Vanaja. (spoiler alert) the rape and consequent pregnancy was sad to watch. By giving up her child to her benevolent mistress Vanaja gets to continue her dancing and is unencumbered by child at such a young age. The privileged grandson is reprimanded by his grandmother for the rape, but faces no other consequence. There was no resolution or justice, was there? and i don't recall the point this movie was trying to make besides hint at class-barriers.

tleaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:49 am

[quote="indophile"]
blabberwock wrote:
kinnera wrote:
blabberwock wrote:

What you said there in Telugu can convey two very different meanings. It all depends on the swaram and sthaayi behind the sentence when vocalized:-Smile

One meaning is ------------ you can always depend on my support

Another meaning is -------- you can depend on me once in a while

Thanks, Indo. My slacker of a telugu teacher did not explain all this to me.

On another note, some cryptics please?

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:43 am

blabberwock wrote:[
Thanks, Indo. My slacker of a telugu teacher did not explain all this to me.
[/quote]

If you have "always" in mind, then "meeru naa meeda ellappudoo adhaarapadapacchu" leaves no doubt.

However, if the intent is to be mischevous, then "meeru naa meeda eppudaina aadhaara padavacchu" works fine.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:27 am

indophile wrote:
If you have "always" in mind, then "meeru naa meeda ellappudoo adhaarapadapacchu" leaves no doubt.

However, if the intent is to be mischevous, then "meeru naa meeda eppudaina aadhaara padavacchu" works fine.

Indo,

Nannu evaroi nerajANa annaru - ante artham emiti?

BW

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 am

blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

BW

nerajANa is nera+jANa. "nera" (variation is neravu) means full(ly), great, pleasing (you may have heard of "neravu" in carnatic music where a performer picks a line in the song and expands on it showing various shades of the raga, i.e., "fully" developing the music in the line or phrase; I think they call it "nervaal" in Tamil). Also in the sahityam of many carnatic compositions you come across "nera-nammiti" (I fully believe in you). Also, "nera" with the "pleasing" meaning is used in compound words "nemmOmu" (nera+mOmu = beautiful face with fullnes of expression), "nemmOvi" (nera+mOvi = beautiful full lips), nennaDumu (nera+naDumu = nice waist, here "nera" takes on the "slender" meaning because for a waist slender is pleasing).

As for "jANa" it means - clever, smart, suavely flirting, quick retorting, quick rejoinder delivering woman - basically one who floors you in a pleasing way with her smarts.

Thus "nerajANa" means one who is a fully developed jANa. Watchout!

This is the best I could do:Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:20 pm

indophile wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

BW

nerajANa is nera+jANa. "nera" (variation is neravu) means full(ly), great, pleasing (you may have heard of "neravu" in carnatic music where a performer picks a line in the song and expands on it showing various shades of the raga, i.e., "fully" developing the music in the line or phrase; I think they call it "nervaal" in Tamil). Also in the sahityam of many carnatic compositions you come across "nera-nammiti" (I fully believe in you). Also, "nera" with the "pleasing" meaning is used in compound words "nemmOmu" (nera+mOmu = beautiful face with fullnes of expression), "nemmOvi" (nera+mOvi = beautiful full lips), nennaDumu (nera+naDumu = nice waist, here "nera" takes on the "slender" meaning because for a waist slender is pleasing).

As for "jANa" it means - clever, smart, suavely flirting, quick retorting, quick rejoinder delivering woman - basically one who floors you in a pleasing way with her smarts.

Wow! it means all that? Truly a power packed word, I must say. Thanks.

...and PI, you told me it meant "camphor"? Err?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:55 pm

blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

BW

Wow! it means all that? Truly a power packed word, I must say. Thanks.

...and PI, you told me it meant "camphor"? Err?
Haha. nIrAjanam is the thing you do with camphor.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:12 pm

indophile wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

BW

garvabhangam. Sad
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:34 pm

indophile wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

BW

In common usage "nerajana" means an arrogant show off. Correct me if it is wrong.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:45 pm

truthbetold wrote:
indophile wrote:
blabberwock wrote:
indophile wrote:

Indo,

BW

In common usage "nerajana" means an arrogant show off. Correct me if it is wrong.

That sounds more like what the person really meant. I was suspicious about it being complimentary.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:06 pm

blabberwock wrote:In common usage "nerajana" means an arrogant show off. Correct me if it is wrong.
I don't think nerajana has an arrogant show off meaning. The only negative meaning I am aware of is - flirtatious clever foxy woman. Generally in idiomatic usage they say - Nellore nerajana. For some reason, they pick on Nellore girls for being foxy and flirtatious, and smart in woman-man interactions.
However, I am only familiar with old fashioned Telugu that may be 2,3 generations removed from the Telugu of people of my age who grew up in AP. So you don't have to take my word.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:31 am

indophile wrote:The only negative meaning I am aware of is - flirtatious clever foxy woman. Generally in idiomatic usage they say - Nellore nerajana. For some reason, they pick on Nellore girls for being foxy and flirtatious, and smart in woman-man interactions.

Yeah, this sounds more like what the speaker had in mind.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:49 am

This film was a good effort by a novice director, who made it to fulfill his film school thesis requirement. I have seen a few film school movies made by MFA students; this one is way better than any of them. The girl who played the lead role as Vanaja did a fantastic job. The movie could have been a lot tighter, and there were a few places where the story didn't quite gel. They didn't quite figure out what they were portraying the mother of the guy as. There was a certain pithiness to the mahishAsuramardini scene that is rare to see on screen, and kudos to the actress and director for getting that.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:58 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
indophile wrote:The only negative meaning I am aware of is - flirtatious clever foxy woman. Generally in idiomatic usage they say - Nellore nerajana. For some reason, they pick on Nellore girls for being foxy and flirtatious, and smart in woman-man interactions.

Yeah, this sounds more like what the speaker had in mind.

...and you know this because?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:10 am

charvaka wrote:This film was a good effort by a novice director, who made it to fulfill his film school thesis requirement. I have seen a few film school movies made by MFA students; this one is way better than any of them. The girl who played the lead role as Vanaja did a fantastic job. The movie could have been a lot tighter, and there were a few places where the story didn't quite gel. They didn't quite figure out what they were portraying the mother of the guy as. There was a certain pithiness to the mahishAsuramardini scene that is rare to see on screen, and kudos to the actress and director for getting that.

I too think the girl acted very well and so did the lady who played the mother.

I felt that the plot was a bit too cliched and targeted to pander to the western audience who love these sort of stories coming from the "third world".

I want to watch it again - these are impressions from my watching over 2-3 years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:31 am

indophile wrote: The only negative meaning I am aware of is - flirtatious clever foxy woman.

Annamacharya too used "nerajaaNa" with the flirtatious smart quick-witted foxy woman meaning in this song. Here he calls Alamelu Manga a nerajANa:Smile May be someone here could attempt the translation if requested. The song is given in both ITRANS and Telugu script down here.

pa|| eMtanErcenE I kaliki | iMtula kETakE iMtEsi pagaTu ||

ca|| calamula nerapucu savatula dUrucu | saligela poralI javarAlu |
celuvuni solayucu cEtulu cApucu | kelapula nagavula keralIni ||

ca|| sATiki penagucu saNagucu rAlcucu | nITuna murisI nerajANa |
mATala guniyucu madamuna morayucu | jUTudanaMbula jUcIni ||

ca|| maMtana mADucu malayucu navvucu | paMtamu lADI pasalADI |
iMtalO SrIvEMkaTESuDu nannEle | poMtanuMDi nanu pogaDIni ||

|| చలముల నెరపుచు సవతుల దూరుచు | సలిగెల పొరలీ జవరాలు |
చెలువుని సొలయుచు చేతులు చాపుచు | కెలపుల నగవుల కెరలీని ||

|| సాటికి పెనగుచు సణగుచు రాల్చుచు | నీటున మురిసీ నెరజాణ |
మాటల గునియుచు మదమున మొరయుచు | జూటుదనంబుల జూచీని ||

|| మంతన మాడుచు మలయుచు నవ్వుచు | పంతము లాడీ పసలాడీ |