Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

birju maharaj at carnegie hall

5 posters

Go down

birju maharaj at carnegie hall Empty birju maharaj at carnegie hall

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:18 pm

is he fairly representative of kadhak? he gives some elaborate explanations of what he's trying to accomplish. seems to me that a lot of bollywood dancing is based on this -- the frequent pirouetting, hand chopping motions, and the head tosses.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

birju maharaj at carnegie hall Empty Re: birju maharaj at carnegie hall

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:35 pm

more recent and better quality video.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Kadhak? You might have as well said gadhag.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:58 am

What is the difference between Bollywood dance and Kollywood dance? Can the experts explain? It's Kathak, btw. Here's a delight to your eyes: 

A bride making a Kollywood entrance:

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:03 am

they're both kitsch.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:19 am

Birju who? Is he Southindian? Sounds lIke a Northindian to me.

How was he allowed to dance in a prestigious American University? We southindians deplore this so-called uncontrolled GaddDhak gyrations.

LEARN some divine pure dance you Northindians.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:29 am

sawoodh since you seem to know about kathak, are the pirouetting and the head tosses in kathak a persian influence?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:they're both kitsch.
Is that it from the expert? hmmm. So when there's no difference between Bollywood and Kollywood, there's no difference in both the cultures either. No difference between northindians and southindians. We are all the same. no? That's the point being made in the cabaret dance thread too.

PS: Next time you point fingers at Bollywood, look at your Kollywood first.

Last edited by Kinnera on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:42 am

Kinnera wrote:
Is that it from the expert? hmmm. So when there's no difference between Bollywood and Kollywood, there's no difference in both the cultures either. No difference between northindians and southindians. We are all the same. no? That's the point being made in the cabaret dance thread too.

i am not an expert. in fact i explicitly said i know little about dance. i only wrote what i perceived. they both seem like kitsch. i didn't say they were the same kind of kitsch.

i thought the other threads drew a somewhat ridiculous comparison between formalized art and kitsch.

an interesting discussion might be the differences between bolly kitsch and kolly kitsch or between kathak/odissi and BN/kuchipudi.

another discussion that may be interesting is the process by which kitsch becomes art. what i am going to say may sound like total drivel to people studying such things formally, but i wonder if there is a process or a set of processes by which kitsch gets structuralized into art.  and i wonder if this process is similar to how a pidgin or creole in one generation gets infused with structure and syntax and becomes a formalized language in successive generations. sort of like the process that steven pinker described in his book "the language instinct".
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

i am not an expert. in fact i explicitly said i know little about dance. i only wrote what i perceived. they both seem like kitsch. i didn't say they were the same kind of kitsch.

i thought the other threads drew a somewhat ridiculous comparison between formalized art and kitsch.

an interesting discussion might be the differences between bolly kitsch and kolly kitsch or between kathak/odissi and BN/kuchipudi.
The point is...ppl have different tastes. What you like and enjoy may not be liked and enjoyed by others. It holds true for everything...from dance and music to food, drinks, etc. Learning to respect others' choices, not putting them down, is what the wise, sensible and the decent ones do.

The discussion about the differences makes no value. Trying to embrace them and enjoy them with an open mind will, if interested. Else, leave others to their choices and mind your own business.

PS: This all started with vee's put down of bollywood dances and their culture. A cheap thing to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:15 am

Kinnera wrote:
The discussion about the differences makes no value.

i disagree. exploring the differences between CM and HM over many decades has given me immeasurable pleasure.  and i know for a fact that i am not alone. there are people to whom exploring similarities and differences between performing arts is meaningful.

as for the other stuff, it's gone on at sulekha and here for ages and by everyone. i am surprised that people who have been active participants in such unpleasantness themselves find the energy to complain.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:29 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
The discussion about the differences makes no value.

i disagree. exploring the differences between CM and HM over many decades has given me immeasurable pleasure.  and i know for a fact that i am not alone.  there are people to whom exploring similarities and differences between performing arts is meaningful.

as for the other stuff, it's gone on at sulekha and here for ages and by everyone. i am surprised that people who have been active participants in such unpleasantness themselves find the energy to complain.
Learning the differences between HM and CM need not necessarily give one pleasure. Not everyone who enjoys HM need to know the difference between the two to enjoy it. Learning about it and appreciating it will.

yup! these narrow minded discussions have been going on for ages and i've been resisting the narrow minded fanatics and hypocrites for years and will continue to do so.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:33 am

Kinnera wrote:
Learning the differences between HM and CM need not necessarily give one pleasure.

but it can and does to many people, including myself.

Kinnera wrote:Not everyone who enjoys HM need to know the difference between the two to enjoy it.
absolutely.

Kinnera wrote:yup! these narrow minded discussions have been going on for ages and i've been resisting the narrow minded fanatics and hypocrites for years and will continue to do so.

oh, don't let yourself off the hook so glibly. the point is that you have been an active contributor to the unpleasantness.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:45 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
Learning the differences between HM and CM need not necessarily give one pleasure.

but it can and does to many people, including myself.

>>>>>not a prerequiseite. Just learn about what you want to enjoy with an open mind and you will.

Kinnera wrote:Not everyone who enjoys HM need to know the difference between the two to enjoy it.
absolutely.

Kinnera wrote:yup! these narrow minded discussions have been going on for ages and i've been resisting the narrow minded fanatics and hypocrites for years and will continue to do so.

oh, don't let yourself off the hook so glibly. the point is that you have been an active contributor to the unpleasantness.

>>>>>>if holding a mirror in the front and making one look at oneself makes one unpleasant, so be it. Before you point fingers at others, specifically north indians, look at yourself first. The same goes on in your own backyard and more specifically to the point of discussion now, there's no difference between bollywood or kollywood or their dances whether duets or cabaret. And BN is  is as beautiful or boring (depending on the dancers) as Kuchipudi or Odissi or Kathak.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:29 am

కిన్నెర:

ఆతనితో పొట్లాట అనవసరం. వాళ్ళ భాష కన్నా గొప్పభాష లేదు, సంగీతం లేదు, నాట్యం లేదు..... వాళ్ళ కన్నా తెలివైనవాళ్ళు లేరు..... ఒకవేళ వుంటే, వాళ్ళని బ్రతక నివ్వరు. ఈమధ్య శేషాచలం లో గంధపు కొయ్యల గురించి జరిగింది విన్నారుగా. దేశంలో వున్న అరవవాళ్ళందరూ కలిసి గొడవ చేస్తున్నారు - పార్లమెంటులొ, హూమన్ రైటు ఏజెన్సీలలో, ఛాట్ బోర్డ్లలో, ఇతరవాటిలో....

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:38 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:కిన్నెర:

ఆతనితో పొట్లాట అనవసరం. వాళ్ళ భాష కన్నా గొప్పభాష లేదు, సంగీతం లేదు, నాట్యం లేదు..... వాళ్ళ కన్నా తెలివైనవాళ్ళు లేరు.....  ఒకవేళ వుంటే, వాళ్ళని బ్రతక నివ్వరు.  ఈమధ్య శేషాచలం లో గంధపు కొయ్యల గురించి జరిగింది విన్నారుగా. దేశంలో వున్న అరవవాళ్ళందరూ కలిసి గొడవ చేస్తున్నారు - పార్లమెంటులొ, హూమన్ రైటు ఏజెన్సీలలో, ఛాట్ బోర్డ్లలో, ఇతరవాటిలో....
Google says:

No matter what his potlata. Goppabhasa than not their language, the music, the dancing, if not ..... ..... if not wiser than them, and they shall live. Sesacalam out of the woodwork in recent vinnaruga sandalwood. Stir together aravavallandaru being in the country - parlamentulo, Human copyright agencies, boards, chat, Others ....
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:45 am

Hellsangel wrote:

ఆతనితో పొట్లాట అనవసరం. వాళ్ళ భాష కన్నా గొప్పభాష లేదు, సంగీతం లేదు, నాట్యం లేదు..... వాళ్ళ కన్నా తెలివైనవాళ్ళు లేరు.....  ఒకవేళ వుంటే, వాళ్ళని బ్రతక నివ్వరు.  ఈమధ్య శేషాచలం లో గంధపు కొయ్యల గురించి జరిగింది విన్నారుగా. దేశంలో వున్న అరవవాళ్ళందరూ కలిసి గొడవ చేస్తున్నారు - పార్లమెంటులొ, హూమన్ రైటు ఏజెన్సీలలో, ఛాట్ బోర్డ్లలో, ఇతరవాటిలో....
Google says:

No matter what his potlata. Goppabhasa than not their language, the music, the dancing, if not ..... ..... if not wiser than them, and they shall live. Sesacalam out of the woodwork in recent vinnaruga sandalwood. Stir together aravavallandaru being in the country - parlamentulo, Human copyright agencies, boards, chat, Others ....
Telugu vaadivayyi telugu script chadavatam raadaa HA neeku? Vakavaka emi rasaro ardham kaaka frustrating gaa unda? Ayyo! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 am

నిజమే. నా సమయం వ్రుధా చేసుకుంటున్నానని తెలుసు, కాని ఎంటొ ఒకొక్కసారి ఉండబట్టలేను. వీల్లంత భాషా దురభిమానులు ఇంకొకరు ఉండరు.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:51 am

they got some ugly bitches in singapore

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:15 am

Max, its called GaddDhak. I believe Northindians have head and they use to throw in dances.

The same thing Southindians and swivel through their eyes in dances.

Max, its all body parts movements. Pick yous.

I'm guessing you have a head and eyes, so you are fit for both Northindian and Southindian dances.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down