Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Visiting India? prepare for racism

4 posters

Go down

Visiting India? prepare for racism Empty Visiting India? prepare for racism

Post by confuzzled dude Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 pm

This shameful story of racism is an outcome of the Archaeological Survey of India’s (ASI’s) policy to have dual pricing for entry tickets to the monuments. Under this the foreigners have to pay several times more than Indians. For instance, to enter the Taj Mahal, foreigners pay Rs750 ($12.5), as against the Rs20 ($0.33) Indians do. For visiting the Red Fort or the Humayun Tomb in Delhi, Indians pay Rs10 ($0.17) and foreigners Rs250 ($4.2).

The problem is that there isn’t a mechanism in place through which the citizenship of visitors can be determined. No proof of identity is asked for, and whether a tourist is foreigner is determined by the person at the ticket counter on the basis of his or her notion of who looks Indian in appearance. The colour of skin and facial features become the clinching factors in this egregiously flawed process of determining citizenship.
But judging the Indian citizenship of visitors from their appearance is demeaning for those who don’t have features or colour the ASI personnel consider Indian. My relative was asked to pay the foreigner’s rate at Delhi’s Humayun tomb because the person at the ticket counter thought she was from the Philippines. She had to speak in Hindi to avail of the Rs10 ticket. Some people from the northeast states experience this slight whenever they are asked, “You foreigner?”

At times, Indians are classified as foreigners because of their sartorial style. For instance, wear shorts, t-shirt and a cap, and you might be gruffly asked to pay the amount charged from the foreigner. To prove his Indian-ness, one journalist uttered the choicest abuses in the local language.
Charging higher fees from foreigners without granting them special rights to access monuments is both exploitative and discriminatory. Such policies are opposed because they spawn in a category of people a feeling of hurt and victimisation.
http://qz.com/392883/visiting-indias-ancient-monuments-prepare-for-racism/

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Visiting India? prepare for racism Empty Re: Visiting India? prepare for racism

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Rather than the racism this probably is just the result of wrong tool / method used by authorities to judge visitors as foreigners or domestics while charging them for the tickets according to their looks / features instead of IDs, just like the Govt. helps people in education and jobs on the basis of caste instead of their economic condition.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:24 pm

>>> the ticket counter on the basis of his or her notion of who looks Indian in appearance.

Do what Hndian immigration officials do and Delhi airport. ask a question in Hindi.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:29 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
This shameful story of racism is an outcome of the Archaeological Survey of India’s (ASI’s) policy to have dual pricing for entry tickets to the monuments. Under this the foreigners have to pay several times more than Indians. For instance, to enter the Taj Mahal, foreigners pay Rs750 ($12.5), as against the Rs20 ($0.33) Indians do. For visiting the Red Fort or the Humayun Tomb in Delhi, Indians pay Rs10 ($0.17) and foreigners Rs250 ($4.2).

The problem is that there isn’t a mechanism in place through which the citizenship of visitors can be determined. No proof of identity is asked for, and whether a tourist is foreigner is determined by the person at the ticket counter on the basis of his or her notion of who looks Indian in appearance. The colour of skin and facial features become the clinching factors in this egregiously flawed process of determining citizenship.
But judging the Indian citizenship of visitors from their appearance is demeaning for those who don’t have features or colour the ASI personnel consider Indian. My relative was asked to pay the foreigner’s rate at Delhi’s Humayun tomb because the person at the ticket counter thought she was from the Philippines. She had to speak in Hindi to avail of the Rs10 ticket. Some people from the northeast states experience this slight whenever they are asked, “You foreigner?”

At times, Indians are classified as foreigners because of their sartorial style. For instance, wear shorts, t-shirt and a cap, and you might be gruffly asked to pay the amount charged from the foreigner. To prove his Indian-ness, one journalist uttered the choicest abuses in the local language.
Charging higher fees from foreigners without granting them special rights to access monuments is both exploitative and discriminatory. Such policies are opposed because they spawn in a category of people a feeling of hurt and victimisation.
http://qz.com/392883/visiting-indias-ancient-monuments-prepare-for-racism/

What is surprising here. Indians are one of the most racist guys - openly.

When I was in Delhi someone asked me if I was from "abroad" said I was Madras. He said I was too fair to be a madrasi....Razz

So I switched gear and said.. but have been living in Bangalore since my teen years. The irony is I am/was always called a Darkie..in my family.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:32 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Rather than the racism this probably is just the result of wrong tool / method used by authorities to judge visitors as foreigners or domestics while charging them for the tickets according to their looks / features instead of IDs, just like the Govt. helps people in education and jobs on the basis of caste instead of their economic condition.

I was asked question in hindi and I answered back in tamil... then I showed/proved my Indianness by pushing the crowd, cutting the line, and ignored the security and entered the gate as the security barked at me in hindi.....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down