Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Losers: Why the Rajputs kept failing miserably in battle for centuries

3 posters

Go down

Losers: Why the Rajputs kept failing miserably in battle for centuries Empty Losers: Why the Rajputs kept failing miserably in battle for centuries

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 4:33 am

http://scroll.in/article/728636/what-our-textbooks-dont-tell-us-why-the-rajputs-failed-miserably-in-battle-for-centuries

Back to top Go down

Losers: Why the Rajputs kept failing miserably in battle for centuries Empty Re: Losers: Why the Rajputs kept failing miserably in battle for centuries

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 22, 2015 8:15 am

A honest introspection; Good read. Thanks for posting. Now I know why all those Bollywood movies about Rajputs gave me the impression of Rajputs that they're bullheaded with single digit IQ. I thought Sunil Dutt portrayed that brilliantly in Parampara movie.

There’s one other factor that is thought to have contributed substantially to Rajput defeats: the opium habit. Taking opium was established practice among Rajputs
Hmmm.. So, it was Hindus, who passed on this trait to Afghans and Pakistanis.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Losers: Why the Rajputs kept failing miserably in battle for centuries Empty Re: Losers: Why the Rajputs kept failing miserably in battle for centuries

Post by ashdoc Fri May 22, 2015 8:58 am

You mean the Taliban took inspiration from rajput warriors for growing poppies?

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 9:24 am

ashdoc wrote:You mean the Taliban took inspiration from rajput warriors for growing poppies?
lol, he got his facts wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 9:29 am

confuzzled dude wrote:A honest introspection; Good read. Thanks for posting. Now I know why all those Bollywood movies about Rajputs gave me the impression of Rajputs that they're bullheaded with single digit IQ. I thought Sunil Dutt portrayed that brilliantly in Parampara movie.

i did not watch parampara but i too got introduced to rajputs through movies much before i would learn about them in history in school. what was parampara about that helped you form this impression? i remember vinod khanna and dharmendra playing rajput warlords (or maybe dacoits -- i am confused) and engage in sword fighting. used to be enthralled by that. my brother and i used to make these long paper swords and joust like them. can't recall the movie's name.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri May 22, 2015 12:05 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:A honest introspection; Good read. Thanks for posting. Now I know why all those Bollywood movies about Rajputs gave me the impression of Rajputs that they're bullheaded with single digit IQ. I thought Sunil Dutt portrayed that brilliantly in Parampara movie.
Comrade, you are an expert on Rajputs from watching Bollywood, and that too Yash Chopra movies?

Secondly, according to the IMDB synopsis, Sunil Dutt plays Thakur Bhavani Singh.

Are Thakurs Rajputs?

Thirdly, by your logic, are Reddies violent goons as portrayed in this movie?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Comrade, you are an expert on Rajputs from watching Bollywood, and that too Yash Chopra movies?

Secondly, according to the IMDB synopsis, Sunil Dutt plays Thakur Bhavani Singh.

Are Thakurs Rajputs?
LOLLL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 12:40 pm

A thakur is a Kshatriya. A Rajput is also a Kshatriya. It could happen that a Rajput family migrated from Rajasthan to UP or Bihar or Madhya Pradesh in the past. Then their descendants can be considered to be both Rajputs and also as thakurs. They will probably consider themselves to be Rajputs while the locals will consider them to be thakurs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 22, 2015 1:30 pm

Rashmun wrote:A thakur is a Kshatriya. A Rajput is also a Kshatriya. It could happen that a Rajput family migrated from Rajasthan to UP or Bihar or Madhya Pradesh in the past. Then their descendants can be considered to be both Rajputs and also as thakurs. They will probably consider themselves to be Rajputs while the locals will consider them to be thakurs.
good point. assuming you are right i/we are thakurs (rajputs? maybe).

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 22, 2015 8:12 pm

ashdoc wrote:You mean the Taliban took inspiration from rajput warriors for growing poppies?
Pretty much. Going by your chaddi-buddies logic, they're part of Akhand Bharath, originally Hindus; which is why they're asking them to come home (Ghar wapsi)

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 22, 2015 8:19 pm

brie wrote:

i did not watch parampara but i too got introduced to rajputs through movies much before i would learn about them in history in school. what was parampara about that helped you form this impression? i remember vinod khanna and dharmendra playing rajput warlords (or maybe dacoits -- i am confused) and engage in sword fighting. used to be enthralled by that. my brother and i used to make these long paper swords and joust like them. can't recall the movie's name.
He is so adamant about his khandani parampara i.e. taking revenge, loses his son in due process, goes to the extent of killing his grandson who was born to his son and a banjaran who he did not consider as his grand son. But again, I watched this movie 20+ years ago, I might have a different opinion, if I watch it now.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 22, 2015 8:34 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

Are Thakurs Rajputs?

Thirdly, by your logic, are Reddies violent goons as portrayed in this movie?
I didn't say I was an expert, therefore Bollywood reference. I vaguely remember that this movie was about Rajputs, I could be wrong, watched it a long time ago; wrt your last question I did not watch Rakta Charitra but I'm aware that it was based on Paritala Ravi's life who was not Reddy. BTW, Kadapa Reddys have a reputation of being very crude (I guess similar to that of Rajputs)

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down