Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debates over Asians and the academic "ethnic divide"

2 posters

Go down

Debates over Asians and the academic "ethnic divide" Empty Debates over Asians and the academic "ethnic divide"

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:14 pm

In an attempt at feigning balance, the Times portrays this as a “belief,” one that may or may not be confirmed by unreleased data. In actuality data, necessarily apolitical, has already revealed that Asian-Americans must outperform their white peers to the tune of 140 SAT points in order to win admissions to elite universities. Harvard admissions officers have also made many a, how do I put this, charged, statement in evaluating Asian applicants. “He’s quiet and, of course, wants to be a doctor,” wrote one.
http://www.salon.com/2016/01/19/mediocrity_is_for_white_kids_debates_over_asians_and_the_academic_ethnic_divide_are_about_white_entitlement_not_oppressive_immigrant_parents/

There is a simple solution for this. Asian parents should stop crying about biases and shed the myth that measure of success is attending an elite university. Even better, they should collectively boycott Ivy leagues, if these Asian kids are really as geniuses as their parents think, lack of their participation is going to have adverse impact on the Ivy leagues, wouldn't it?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Debates over Asians and the academic "ethnic divide" Empty Re: Debates over Asians and the academic "ethnic divide"

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
In an attempt at feigning balance, the Times portrays this as a “belief,” one that may or may not be confirmed by unreleased data. In actuality data, necessarily apolitical, has already revealed that Asian-Americans must outperform their white peers to the tune of 140 SAT points in order to win admissions to elite universities. Harvard admissions officers have also made many a, how do I put this, charged, statement in evaluating Asian applicants. “He’s quiet and, of course, wants to be a doctor,” wrote one.
http://www.salon.com/2016/01/19/mediocrity_is_for_white_kids_debates_over_asians_and_the_academic_ethnic_divide_are_about_white_entitlement_not_oppressive_immigrant_parents/

There is a simple solution for this. Asian parents should stop crying about biases and shed the myth that measure of success is attending an elite university. Even better, they should collectively boycott Ivy leagues, if these Asian kids are really as geniuses as their parents think, lack of their participation is going to have adverse impact on the Ivy leagues, wouldn't it?

Easier said than done....

But, I can also say this: a good, motivated kid can achieve his final goal by doing well ACROSS THE BOARD by joining any flagship state university or scores of other non-ivy private schools. But, it is also true if the kid has political goals, an IVY league education will certainly help - assuming the kid does well ACROSS THE BOARD. Right now, I know of a half dozen known kids at Harvard - with a couple of them real smart - better than the genius variety that Asians are known for. Out of these 4 will do very well and 2 I am not so sure. Couple of them at Stanford as well and will be interesting to observe their progress.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down