Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To the elite of SuCH

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
confuzzled dude
6 posters

Go down

To the elite of SuCH Empty To the elite of SuCH

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:03 pm

It was after living in an urban atmosphere, that he became aware of the discrimination that pervaded his life.

“I was not at all aware (of the caste system) until I came back to my village from Hyderabad. My father always asked me to not to visit certain streets in my village – Reddy Street, Brahmin street and so on. I never understood my dad’s instructions when I was a kid, but I never had any work on those streets anyway.”

The import of his father instructions hit him, however, on a day when he was sitting near a temple and was asked to leave because he is a Mala. “Another time, when I was entering a street without noticing which one it was, people stopped me and asked me why I was on that street. Only then, did I understand why my dad always instructed me stay away from these streets and temples.”
He achieved the 13th rank in the university, but it was no easy task. Sunkanna was one of the very few people on campus who spoke very little English. He signed up for an English course with the Ramakrishna Mission, in Domalguda, which was 40 km away from campus.

“I would wake up early and leave so that I could get back to campus for 9 am class. That is how I learnt English. But now I’ve lost some of my Telugu vocabulary,” he rues. Yet, there was something to look forward to up.

“My graph was always going higher — in 10th standard I scored 40%, 46% in the Inter level, 56% in my degree, 61% in BEd, 72% in MA and then a distinction in Ph.D.”

He knows that he need not have made it to where he is today. “If anybody tries to play with my career, it hurts me emotionally,” he says.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/sunkanna-velpula%E2%80%99s-phd-story-dalit-man%E2%80%99s-thorny-path-education-41426

Especially to the likes of Seva who always speak in a condescending tone towards quota candidates. Hopefully, the story of Sunkanna will help them see the realities in an unbiased fashion.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

To the elite of SuCH Empty Re: To the elite of SuCH

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:54 pm

Are you sure that the quota system is not being exploited by OBC, BC, and SC/ST who already have educated and degreed members in their families and live in a multi-storeyed house with all luxuries?

Why should these people avail and assail the quota system and depriving a deserving candidate from a FC?

just as it is not the fault of a kid to be born in a SC/ST category it is not the fault of any kid to be born within a FC.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:01 pm

cd, the problem is that reservations are getting recycled within families and the ones who are really deserving of them aren't getting them. So, it's mostly the children of the educated, affluent, city based AND the ones who already availed of the reservations in their times are getting benefited. The children are of course from well educated and well to do families, city based and private school educated. Why should they get the reservations? These people are the ones denying a chance to Sunkanna kind of people. I think reservations should be made more stringent.

1. If the parents benefited through reservations, their children or anyone in the generation should not get benefited from it. A big no no to that. Let others get a chance. The parents were given a chance to improve their economic and social standing and they would've been able to do that. they don't need any more reservations in the family.

Even when the above criteria is met,
2. Children who got educated in good private institutions should not be given preference over the ones educated in govt schools (the way they do it here at the ivies and other schools. The top 3% of the school are considered, even if it's a bad inner city school. They have an edge over anyone not within the top 3% of their school ranking, though the inner city school kids' scores are much below than the ones who are not in the top 3% of their top-notch suburb schools)
3. The economic status of the parents/family needs to be considered. Children of poor families need to be put above the ones with good economic standing.
4. Children from broken/single parent families or the ones facing other hardships need to be given preference. The kids showing strength and character in those circumstances should have an edge over the others. I know, applying a holistic approach would be nice, but it is tough to implement in India.

If not anything, at least the first one should be implemented. Kids of parents who availed of the reservations should not get the same benefits again.

PS: Also, the caste system is relevant only to hindus. Other religions have no caste system. A thorough background check about the student's religion should be done when issuing the caste certificates.

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:28 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
It was after living in an urban atmosphere, that he became aware of the discrimination that pervaded his life.

“I was not at all aware (of the caste system) until I came back to my village from Hyderabad. My father always asked me to not to visit certain streets in my village – Reddy Street, Brahmin street and so on. I never understood my dad’s instructions when I was a kid, but I never had any work on those streets anyway.”

The import of his father instructions hit him, however, on a day when he was sitting near a temple and was asked to leave because he is a Mala. “Another time, when I was entering a street without noticing which one it was, people stopped me and asked me why I was on that street. Only then, did I understand why my dad always instructed me stay away from these streets and temples.”
He achieved the 13th rank in the university, but it was no easy task. Sunkanna was one of the very few people on campus who spoke very little English. He signed up for an English course with the Ramakrishna Mission, in Domalguda, which was 40 km away from campus.

“I would wake up early and leave so that I could get back to campus for 9 am class. That is how I learnt English. But now I’ve lost some of my Telugu vocabulary,” he rues. Yet, there was something to look forward to up.

“My graph was always going higher — in 10th standard I scored 40%, 46% in the Inter level, 56% in my degree, 61% in BEd, 72% in MA and then a distinction in Ph.D.”

He knows that he need not have made it to where he is today. “If anybody tries to play with my career, it hurts me emotionally,” he says.
http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/sunkanna-velpula%E2%80%99s-phd-story-dalit-man%E2%80%99s-thorny-path-education-41426

Especially to the likes of Seva who always speak in a condescending tone towards quota candidates. Hopefully, the story of Sunkanna will help them see the realities in an unbiased fashion.
Please learn to report properly. He is a Christian.  He is NOT a Dalit /Scheduled caste/Schedule Tribe Hindu. 

People not knowing English is not specific to Christians. There are thousands of people in India who are poor. Christians of relatively among the well educated and well off. In fact the population Hindu Poor exceed the population of Christians many times over. 

The Hindu religious leaders need to do more to remove the divide between Hindus that is creating a problem for the unity of the community and country, given that such a divide is being fanned by such characters and Supremacists in Monotheistic Religions.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:36 pm

rawemotions wrote:Please learn to report properly. He is a Christian.  He is NOT a Dalit /Scheduled caste/Schedule Tribe Hindu. 

the same thing happened with Rohit Vemula. The guy's father is a BC hindu, but he and his mother later converted to Christianity. He was no way a dalit, but he secured a dalit certificate illegally and was posing as a dalit.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:37 pm

rawemotions wrote:
Please learn to report properly. He is a Christian.  He is NOT a Dalit /Scheduled caste/Schedule Tribe Hindu. 

People not knowing English is not specific to Christians. There are thousands of people in India who are poor. Christians of relatively among the well educated and well off. In fact the population Hindu Poor exceed the population of Christians many times over. 

The Hindu religious leaders need to do more to remove the divide between Hindus that is creating a problem for the unity of the community and country, given that such a divide is being fanned by such characters and Supremacists in Monotheistic Religions.
Hahaha! first you kick them out (deny them basic rights of a Hindu e.g. praying in a temple along with others) and now you whine..
Having classes in church was the most natural thing. “Churches were always open for us but temples were always closed. Obviously Dalits don’t have much freedom to choose their religion,” Sunkanna says. He and his family, like many other Dalit families, are Christian by faith.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:43 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:

Pahaha! first you kick them out (deny them basic rights of a Hindu e.g. praying in a temple along with others) and now you whine..
Having classes in church was the most natural thing. “Churches were always open for us but temples were always closed. Obviously Dalits don’t have much freedom to choose their religion,” Sunkanna says. He and his family, like many other Dalit families, are Christian by faith.
There are caste less now. Why do they still want to stick on to their dalit status? They converted because of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:48 pm

Kinnera wrote:cd, the problem is that reservations are getting recycled within families and the ones who are really deserving of them aren't getting them. So, it's mostly the children of the educated, affluent, city based AND the ones who already availed of the reservations in their times are getting benefited. The children are of course from well educated and well to do families, city based and private school educated. Why should they get the reservations? These people are the ones denying a chance to Sunkanna kind of people. I think reservations should be made more stringent.

1. If the parents benefited through reservations, their children or anyone in the generation should not get benefited from it. A big no no to that. Let others get a chance. The parents were given a chance to improve their economic and social standing and they would've been able to do that. they don't need any more reservations in the family.

Even when the above criteria is met,
2. Children who got educated in good private institutions should not be given preference over the ones educated in govt schools (the way they do it here at the ivies and other schools. The top 3% of the school are considered, even if it's a bad inner city school. They have an edge over anyone not within the top 3% of their school ranking, though the inner city school kids' scores are much below than the ones who are not in the top 3% of their top-notch suburb schools)
3. The economic status of the parents/family needs to be considered. Children of poor families need to be put above the ones with good economic standing.
4. Children from broken/single parent families or the ones facing other hardships need to be given preference. The kids showing strength and character in those circumstances should have an edge over the others. I know, applying a holistic approach would be nice, but it is tough to implement in India.

If not anything, at least the first one should be implemented. Kids of parents who availed of the reservations should not get the same benefits again.

PS: Also, the caste system is relevant only to hindus. Other religions have no caste system. A thorough background check about the student's religion should be done when issuing the caste certificates.
I'm all for limiting reservations to a generation but which politician has any cojones to implement such a policy? About dalits taking up Christianity, Can you with a straight face, tell me that it changed the treatment meted out to malas and madigas? Nope, they're still treated as the same old untouchables.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:51 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Hahaha! first you kick them out (deny them basic rights of a Hindu e.g. praying in a temple along with others) and now you whine..

Stop your hahaha...you cited the news and claimed Dalit card.

As of now legally he is a Christian. No Dalit or Harijan

So as of now no caste discrimination ni this case...not ancester, past treatment, etc...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Stop your hahaha...you cited the news and claimed Dalit card.

As of now legally he is a Christian. No Dalit or Harijan

So as of now no caste discrimination ni this case...not ancester, past treatment, etc...
See my response to Kinnera. Really! there was no discrimination? then why was he told not to enter the streets of the upper caste neighborhoods?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:04 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:PS: Also, the caste system is relevant only to hindus. Other religions have no caste system. A thorough background check about the student's religion should be done when issuing the caste certificates.
I'm all for limiting reservations to a generation but which politician has any cojones to implement such a policy? About dalits taking up Christianity, Can you with a straight face, tell me that it changed the treatment meted out to malas and madigas? Nope, they're still treated as the same old untouchables.
Legally, only hindus can be given the caste certificates. If these Christians have gotten the certificates, claiming to be dalits (they would've suppressed the information that they are christians), then they have obtained them by fraudulent means and their caste certificates need to be withdrawn and action needs to be taken against them for perjury. It is illegal. 

There are strict laws against ill treatment because of one's caste. If anyone ill treats them, they can always file a complaint with the police. 
Converting to christianity, while still hanging on to their castes, getting caste certificates fraudulently, availing of the reservations and scholarships illegally is not a solution to their problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
kinnera wrote:PS: Also, the caste system is relevant only to hindus. Other religions have no caste system. A thorough background check about the student's religion should be done when issuing the caste certificates.
Legally, only hindus can be given the caste certificates. If these Christians have gotten the certificates, claiming to be dalits (they would've suppressed the information that they are christians), then they have obtained them by fraudulent means and their caste certificates need to be withdrawn and action needs to be taken against them for perjury. It is illegal. 

There are strict laws against ill treatment because of one's caste. If anyone ill treats them, they can always file a complaint with the police. 
Converting to christianity, while still hanging on to their castes, getting caste certificates fraudulently, availing of the reservations and scholarships illegally is not a solution to their problem.
Modern day caste system is highly Sikular. If you can benefit from the caste system, whatever games you play are acceptable to Sikular junkies like Pappu, Kraziwalah, Laloo, K'nidhi and Yechuri. If you design govt programs without bringing in caste equations, you are communal and intolerant.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Modern day caste system is highly Sikular. If you can benefit from the caste system, whatever games you play are acceptable to Sikular junkies like Pappu, Kraziwalah, Laloo, K'nidhi and Yechuri. If you design govt programs without bringing in caste equations, you are communal and intolerant.
I thought BJP could do no wrong.
However, the same council, chaired by the chief minister Devendra Fadnavis, has shied away from stripping bogus tribals of their jobs, which they have occupied through fraudulent means.

Instead, it has decided to regularise all those appointed before 2001.

This is despite the fact that a couple of reports submitted by the government's own agencies have suggested that as many as 45% employees in the state administration have gotten through the scheduled tribe (ST) quota with forged documents.
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-government-shies-away-from-stripping-bogus-tribals-of-their-jobs-2200170

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:14 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Your first sentence is inaccurate.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:33 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

A 'dalit christian' is an oxymoron. Christianity has no caste system. As far as I know, except hindus, converts can't have the caste certificates.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:46 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

A 'dalit christian' is an oxymoron. Christianity has no caste system. As far as I know, except hindus, converts can't have the caste certificates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheduled_Castes_and_Scheduled_Tribes
According to the Constitution (Scheduled Castes) Orders (Amendment) Act, 1990, Scheduled Castes can only belong to Hindu or Sikh or Buddhist religions.[12][13] There is no religion bar in case of Scheduled Tribes.[14][15] The Sachar Committee report of 2006 revealed that scheduled castes and tribes of India are not limited to the religion of Hinduism. The 61st round Survey of the NSSO found that 90% of the Buddhists, one-third of the Sikhs, and one-third of the Christians in India belonged to the notified scheduled castes or tribes of the Constitution.[16][17]

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:02 pm

Ok....the amendments made in recent times! That's probably done to appease the minority. The case of Scheduled tribes is understandable. They are very varied and we may not exactly categorize them as hindus. But schedule castes? Haven't you guys been going hoarse about this evil caste system among Hindus who ill treat their lower castes? Haven't the missionaries been trying to target that group and converting them left and right because of that? wait...so now christianity also has the caste system? What moral authority do they have to criticize hindus (no wonder the converted 'Reddy' christians don't marry any other christian other than a 'Reddy' or a 'Brahmin' convert). Such hypocrisy!!

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Kinnera wrote:Ok....the amendments made in recent times! That's probably done to appease the minority. The case of Scheduled tribes is understandable. They are very varied and we may not exactly categorize them as hindus. But schedule castes? Haven't you guys been going hoarse about this evil caste system among Hindus who ill treat their lower castes? Haven't the missionaries been trying to target that group and converting them left and right because of that? wait...so now christianity also has the caste system? What moral authority do they have to criticize hindus (no wonder the converted 'Reddy' christians don't marry any other christian other than a 'Reddy' or a 'Brahmin' convert). Such hypocrisy!!
The same moral authority that Hindus think they have on Muslims, Christians etc.,

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:27 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Ok....the amendments made in recent times! That's probably done to appease the minority. The case of Scheduled tribes is understandable. They are very varied and we may not exactly categorize them as hindus. But schedule castes? Haven't you guys been going hoarse about this evil caste system among Hindus who ill treat their lower castes? Haven't the missionaries been trying to target that group and converting them left and right because of that? wait...so now christianity also has the caste system? What moral authority do they have to criticize hindus (no wonder the converted 'Reddy' christians don't marry any other christian other than a 'Reddy' or a 'Brahmin' convert). Such hypocrisy!!
The same moral authority that Hindus think they have on Muslims, Christians etc.,
Yeah.....hindus are churning out international terrorists on par with the Jehadi and caliphate ideology inspired terrorists and have become a threat everywhere in the world. If you think that their ideology is what Islam is all about, then you'd be offended. If other religions have the same kind of problem in their own religions currently, then they have no moral authority to criticize. But they don't. And this is not an internal problem of the muslims (unlike the caste system). It's a worldwide problem that concerns everyone. So ppl do talk about it. 

PS: We need more Sufi muslims in the world, not Wahhabi muslims.

Last edited by Kinnera on Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:35 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Yeah.....hindus are churning out international terrorists on par with the Jehadi and caliphate ideology inspired terrorists and have become a threat everywhere in the world. 

PS: We need more Sufi muslims in the world, not Wahhabi muslims.
How many international muslim terrorists did India produce?
In 2014, there were 976 deaths from terrorism (or extremism, whatever name one wants to use for it) in India. Of these, the most (465) came in the North East. The second most (314) came from Left-wing extremism, by a group of people called Maoists. Deaths in Jammu & Kashmir, assuming we want to attribute the whole lot to terrorism, stood at 193. Outside of these conflict theatres, Islamist extremism claimed four lives.

In 2013, the figure was most for Maoists (421), the second most for the North East (252), and the Kashmir plus Islamist violence outside the state again came third (206). In 2012, we had a similar situation: Maoists (367), followed by the North East (326), followed by Kashmir (117). The total number of victims of Islamist terrorism outside these three areas, across India, was 1.

In 2011, Maoist violence claimed 602 lives, the North East 246, and Kashmir plus Islamist violence outside the state toll stood at 225. This year, again the sequence is the same, though violence levels across India have dropped, as they have been doing for the past decade.
http://scroll.in/article/718458/most-extremists-in-india-are-not-muslim-they-are-hindu

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:39 pm

Who provided the sleeper cells and gave logistical support to international terrorists across the border? Non-indians?
How many international terrorists in the last two decades are Hindus, christians or jews?

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 pm

Kinnera wrote:Who provided the sleeper cells and gave logistical support to international terrorists across the border? Non-indians?
How many international terrorists in the last two decades are Hindus, christians or jews?
Last I checked they bribed their way to Pathankot

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:48 pm

btw, Maoism is a commie ideology and commmunism is also like cancer. Just look at the history and see destruction it created. Horrible ideology like the jehadi ideology. Maoism has nothing to do with hinduism. not inspired by hinduism, fyi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:50 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Who provided the sleeper cells and gave logistical support to international terrorists across the border? Non-indians?
yeah...the ones who got bribed didn't have an idea that these were the terrorists, unlike memons and other sleeper cells.

Back to top Go down

Post by rawemotions Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:16 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
rawemotions wrote:

Since when is reporting the truth called Whining. It is JUST FACTUALLY wrong to claim that he is a Dalit or belongs to Scheduled Caste. You did NOT highlight that in your excepts and conveniently left it out, and now trying to correct it. He ceases to be a scheduled caste once he becomes a christian. 

He cannot lie to the world to that he is a Scheduled Caste. Any amount of Lies cannot prevent the truth.

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:53 pm

Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
yeah...the ones who got bribed didn't have an idea that these were the terrorists, unlike memons and other sleeper cells.

Right. Hindu, Sikh and Christian border guards taking bribes to let in intruders across the border are not at all abetting terrorism like Muslims do. It is an innocent indiscretion at most - after all, infiltrators are people too and it is wrong to ascribe terroristic intentions to them just because their names are Muslim and they cross the border with large rucksacks full of guns, explosives and grenades.

Border guards who do this while chanting Bharat Mata ki Jai are actually supreme patriots because they are promoting the concept of Akhand Bharat through their deeds.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Right. Hindu, Sikh and Christian border guards taking bribes to let in intruders across the border are not at all abetting terrorism like Muslims do. It is an innocent indiscretion at most - after all, infiltrators are people too and it is wrong to ascribe terroristic intentions to them just because their names are Muslim and they cross the border with large rucksacks full of guns, explosives and grenades.

Border guards who do this while chanting Bharat Mata ki Jai are actually supreme patriots because they are promoting the concept of Akhand Bharat through their deeds.
Yeah..... A thousand cuts to fly the green flag in Delhi is a better idea.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:20 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Yeah..... A thousand cuts to fly the green flag in Delhi is a better idea.

The supreme patriots are turning India into a Talibanized country anyway, so all that infiltration and border guard corruption will become unnecessary. So whether green or saffron flag, the outcomes are the same.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 am

CD,

Based on the example of Sunkanna Velpula (S.V.) in the above (who probably had to take a bus to travel 40 km to learn more English while in school), what you seem to be implying that every person having the surname Sharma and belonging to the brahmin ancestral caste (ancient family occupation as brahmin) should get benefits and reservations in education and job because, 

(1)  Even more demanding than in the case of S.V. taking the bus for about 2 hrs (40 km), Subhash Sharma (S.S., a.k.a. Seva, Lamberdar) used to walk 8 miles each way to college (from his home in Vill. Ansoli to college in Dharamshala, H.P. -- college times 9 AM to 5 PM)  six days a week (16 miles brutal walk each day -- morning walk from home usually starting at 6:30 AM and evening return from college starting after 5 P.M., including during the winter and monsoon rains)

(2)   S.S. studied English in a Govt. school starting during only grade 6th (one hr class / each day), and he had no one speaking or using English at home or in his village;

(3)  When S.S. was doing Ph.D. at UBC / Vancouver, one day he and his classmate went to a pub for beer, where he got no service in spite of repeatedly asking for a beer whereas his (white) classmate was served immediately the first time he ordered;

(4)  When S.S. was working on a teaching assignment in Libya (an Arabic speaking country), one day he had taken his son (age six or seven) to town where the young boy needed to use a washroom to pee. S.S. noticed a Govt. building nearby and thought that he might be able to have his kid to use the washroom there since no other washroom facility was nearby. When S.S approached the staff inside for permission to use the washroom, their response “only if you ask for permission in Arabic.” Since S.S. couldn’t do that (speak Arabic), he had to go and look for another place (in the middle of town --about half a mile away) for his kid to pee.

Is the above enough for getting Govt. benefits and quotas to people named Sharma (having brahmin caste), or should I add more here (including on my search for a steady / permanent engineering job)?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:CD,

Based on the example of Sunkanna Velpula (S.V.) in the above (who probably had to take a bus to travel 40 km to learn more English while in school), what you seem to be implying that every person having the surname Sharma and belonging to the brahmin ancestral caste (ancient family occupation as brahmin) should get benefits and reservations in education and job because, 

(1)  Even more demanding than in the case of S.V. taking the bus for about 2 hrs (40 km), Subhash Sharma (S.S., a.k.a. Seva, Lamberdar) used to walk 8 miles each way to college (from his home in Vill. Ansoli to college in Dharamshala, H.P. -- college times 9 AM to 5 PM)  six days a week (16 miles brutal walk each day -- morning walk from home usually starting at 6:30 AM and evening return from college starting after 5 P.M., including during the winter and monsoon rains)

(2)   S.S. studied English in a Govt. school starting during only grade 6th (one hr class / each day), and he had no one speaking or using English at home or in his village;

(3)  When S.S. was doing Ph.D. at UBC / Vancouver, one day he and his classmate went to a pub for beer, where he got no service in spite of repeatedly asking for a beer whereas his (white) classmate was served immediately the first time he ordered;

(4)  When S.S. was working on a teaching assignment in Libya (an Arabic speaking country), one day he had taken his son (age six or seven) to town where the young boy needed to use a washroom to pee. S.S. noticed a Govt. building nearby and thought that he might be able to have his kid to use the washroom there since no other washroom facility was nearby. When S.S approached the staff inside for permission to use the washroom, their response “only if you ask for permission in Arabic.” Since S.S. couldn’t do that (speak Arabic), he had to go and look for another place (in the middle of town --about half a mile away) for his kid to pee.

Is the above enough for getting Govt. benefits and quotas to people named Sharma (having brahmin caste), or should I add more here (including on my search for a steady / permanent engineering job)?
Seva ji, nobody is denying the hard-work and the hardship you had endured to get to where are you today. At the same time, you're part of a privileged community thus had a head start. The difference between your experience in Libya, a foreign country, and S.V's, is that he was not treated right in the country of his birth. At any rate, my point was about upper caste folks looking down at disadvantaged folks as not deserved. How is this kind of attitude going to help erase inequality or the upward mobility of disadvantaged?

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:27 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:CD,

Seva ji, nobody is denying the hard-work and the hardship you had endured to get to where are you today. At the same time, you're part of a privileged community thus had a head start. The difference between your experience in Libya, a foreign country, and S.V's, is that he was not treated right in the country of his birth. At any rate, my point was about upper caste folks looking down at disadvantaged folks as not deserved. How is this kind of attitude going to help erase inequality or the upward mobility of disadvantaged?
CD,
I did not post the above to generate or seek sympathy for myself, but only to show how silly and illogical is the caste consideration in Govt. quotas, reservations and benefits in education and jobs and the futile effort to justify such quotas, reservations and benefits to the entire group / caste / class of people based on individual and isolated difficult, traumatic and sad experiences and situations.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down