Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

double veeNai concert

4 posters

Go down

double veeNai concert Empty double veeNai concert

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:20 pm

bro-sis combo of mudikondan ramesh and older sister malathi krishnamani.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

double veeNai concert Empty Re: double veeNai concert

Post by swapna Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:07 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bro-sis combo of mudikondan ramesh and older sister malathi krishnamani.
I couldn't listen to the music. are they playing in unison? in tandem? both?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:08 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bro-sis combo of mudikondan ramesh and older sister malathi krishnamani.
yes, what you mean is that the music sounded really weird, right? i thought something was wrong with the recording or the sound or something.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:36 pm

swapna wrote:

both depending on the context. what's interesting is that the instruments are tuned what sound to my ears a half kattai (pitch) apart. this creates a beautiful effect mimicking two vocalists on stage especially when they are playing pure swara patterns (listen to the passage between 15:00 to 20:00 min).

not sure why you aren't able to listen to it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:27 pm

கழுதைக்கும் காட்டானுக்கும் தெரியுமா கற்பூர​ வாசனை?

some people love only sounds of traffic jam, building construction work variety Rolling Eyes

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:08 pm

garam_kuta wrote:கழுதைக்கும் காட்டானுக்கும் தெரியுமா கற்பூர​ வாசனை?

some people love only sounds of traffic jam, building construction work variety Rolling Eyes 
what sounds do you love? whatever your caste brother loves? keith jarrett? the iyer sisters? 

will three iyer sisters singing in unison sound more interesting than two? will a triple-veena piece of music bring 1.5 times the pleasure that a double-veena piece brings? would a brother-sister-cousin veena trio beat a family of acrobats in a circus?

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:14 pm

when two vocalists, two violinists or two vaiNikas sing or play in a carnatic concert, the idea is not to play in unison all the time. the central idea is to have a conversation, complete musical thoughts that one starts and the other finishes. at other times they may simultaneously pursue different melodic lines. sometimes one asks questions and the other answers or poses different musical questions etc.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:23 pm

mudikondan ramesh by himself:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:16 am

swapna wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:கழுதைக்கும் காட்டானுக்கும் தெரியுமா கற்பூர​ வாசனை?

what sounds do you love? whatever your caste brother loves? keith jarrett? the iyer sisters? 

will three iyer sisters singing in unison sound more interesting than two? will a triple-veena piece of music bring 1.5 times the pleasure that a double-veena piece brings? would a brother-sister-cousin veena trio beat a family of acrobats in a circus?

hahaha....not erotic enough for you, huh? looking for more than two? orgies?

et voila from the long lost iyer bros and their cousins, hahaha...

vocal, starting around 1:10

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:when two vocalists, two violinists or two vaiNikas sing or play in a carnatic concert, the idea is not to play in unison all the time. the central idea is to have a conversation, complete musical thoughts that one starts and the other finishes. at other times they may simultaneously pursue different melodic lines. sometimes one asks questions and the other answers or poses different musical questions etc.
I do not subscribe to the notion that musical instruments mimick the human voice in song, and by extension, that the interplay between musical instruments mimick a vocal conversation between two humans. that is just too constraining. moreover, "double veena" is too gimmicky.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:13 pm

swapna wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:when two vocalists, two violinists or two vaiNikas sing or play in a carnatic concert, the idea is not to play in unison all the time. the central idea is to have a conversation, complete musical thoughts that one starts and the other finishes. at other times they may simultaneously pursue different melodic lines. sometimes one asks questions and the other answers or poses different musical questions etc.
I do not subscribe to the notion that musical instruments mimick the human voice in song, and by extension, that the interplay between musical instruments mimick a vocal conversation between two humans. that is just too constraining. moreover, "double veena" is too gimmicky.

indian classical music is primarily a vocal tradition and hews closely to it. most instrumentalists learn some vocal music (vAipAttu) as well, at least in the carnatic tradition.

i said musical conversation, not a vocal conversation. do you also not like two vocalists? there is a long history in carnatic music of concerts comprising two vocalists, violinists etc. hardly a gimmick.

alathur brothers:

more recently, malladi bros:

lalgudi jayaraman and sister srimathi brahmanandam:

i don't like musicians including offspring, siblings, and assorted nephews and nieces just to provide exposure to them when they are clearly unequal, but when seasoned musicians team up to sing or to play the same instrument, i don't find it gimmicky.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:20 pm

a picture of karaikudi subbarama iyer and younger brother sambasiva iyer, a veeNai playing duo:
double veeNai concert Karaikudibrothers

no recordings of the duo survive, although i have some scratchy old AIR recordings of younger brother sambasiva iyer. many modern vaiNikas trace their pedagogic ancestry to him.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down