Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Call Centers in India Posed as I.R.S. to Cheat U.S. Taxpayers, Authorities Say

2 posters

Go down

Call Centers in India Posed as I.R.S. to Cheat U.S. Taxpayers, Authorities Say Empty Call Centers in India Posed as I.R.S. to Cheat U.S. Taxpayers, Authorities Say

Post by garam_kuta Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:18 am

The police said they had informed United States authorities and were seeking their cooperation to locate victims of the scheme, which they estimated was collecting some $90,000 to $150,000 a day and had been operating for a year. Among those arrested in the raids on Tuesday were call center owners, floor managers, accountants and supervisors, Mr. Ranade said. The suspects were charged with extortion, fraud and the use of a criminal threat. “They were stunned to see the police,” said Mr. Manere, who supervised the raid. “They never thought that police would raid them.”

Shocked @they never thought police would raid them...btw, did any of them call trump inc.. Razz

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Call Centers in India Posed as I.R.S. to Cheat U.S. Taxpayers, Authorities Say Empty Re: Call Centers in India Posed as I.R.S. to Cheat U.S. Taxpayers, Authorities Say

Post by silvermani Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:38 pm

This seems like a large scale, well organized crime that couldn't have happened without the blessings of some powerful people. The heat is on, so most likely 
some lowlives will take the fall while the true perpetrators of the scheme escape. Btw, someone I know knows someone who got swindled in this scheme. The caller scared her enough to not hang up, and had her drive to Walgreens, CVS etc to buy some prepaid money transfer type cards which she had to scratch and reveal the code to him. And just 1-2 days ago I read about this "virtual kidnap" where a scammer scared a wealthy lady into parting with close to 10k by making her believe he had kidnapped her daughter.
silvermani
silvermani

Back to top Go down