Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you call Credit Reporting agency it goes to India? :(

+5
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Kris
seven
b_A
FluteHolder
9 posters

Go down

If you call Credit Reporting agency it goes to India? :( Empty If you call Credit Reporting agency it goes to India? :(

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:03 pm

I was shocked to find out that Transunion customer service reps are in India. I thought the credit info will stay in US. How secure is your info?

Anyone aware of this?

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

If you call Credit Reporting agency it goes to India? :( Empty Re: If you call Credit Reporting agency it goes to India? :(

Post by b_A Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:42 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I was shocked to find out that Transunion customer service reps are in India. I thought the credit info will stay in US. How secure is your info?

Anyone aware of this?

Not aware of it but not surprised either.

b_A

Back to top Go down

If you call Credit Reporting agency it goes to India? :( Empty Re: If you call Credit Reporting agency it goes to India? :(

Post by FluteHolder Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm

I understand Banks/credit card info is gone there but was shocked to hear that credit reporting too. They have all of our data and  we all know how good Indians/Indian companies leak critical data...

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 pm

when i got a call from some desi dude about an outstanding bill stating he's from a collection agency, I totally thought he was some fake scamming person trying to take me for a ride.
turned out he was serious! and att sent our information to them for some money they thought we owed them.
)(*&^%$ our credit score went down bcz of that )(*&^%

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:45 pm

FluteHolder wrote:I was shocked to find out that Transunion customer service reps are in India. I thought the credit info will stay in US. How secure is your info?

Anyone aware of this?

>>>Does not surprise me.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:40 pm

Anyone aware of this?

When Microsoft and Bill Gates goes to an Indian to run their company, why should it be a surprise that all our credit history go to Indians.

repeat after me:

NOTHING IS SECRET AND NOTHING IS ABSOLUTELY SECURE.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:23 am

FluteHolder wrote:I understand Banks/credit card info is gone there but was shocked to hear that credit reporting too. They have all of our data and  we all know how good Indians/Indian companies leak critical data...

Target and half a dozen retailers lose your credit card details which are then auctioned out online for lowlifes to exploit across the world. And you are fretting over a potential leak from India! Some NRI patriot you are.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:I understand Banks/credit card info is gone there but was shocked to hear that credit reporting too. They have all of our data and  we all know how good Indians/Indian companies leak critical data...

Target and half a dozen retailers lose your credit card details which are then auctioned out online for lowlifes to exploit across the world. And you are fretting over a potential leak from India! Some NRI patriot you are.

>>>Merlot,

You are quite a sharp guy!

Federal prosecutors charged a group of Eastern European hackers on Thursday with stealing credit card data and other personal information from a slew of high-profile companies, including Nasdaq, J.C. Penney and 7-Eleven. The crime allegedly lasted at least seven years and resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in losses.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2013/07/29/why-stolen-european-credit-card-numbers-cost-5-times-as-much-as-u-s-ones/

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:40 am

Dharubhai,

It is not the credit card info but the access to entire Credit file. Id/Information theft is serious offense and we very well know how the law of land is applied and criminals are punished compared to west. Unless you are well connected or have influence if you are a victim no recourse unlike west.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:50 am

It is a huge concern that sensitive credit info is made available to ppl that can misuse it without much in the way of repercussions...they need to at this carefully the way telecom is wary about Huawei and Zte companies from china

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:56 am

FluteHolder wrote:Dharubhai,

It is not the credit card info but the access to entire Credit file. Id/Information theft is serious offense and we very well know how the law of land is applied and criminals are punished compared to west. Unless you are well connected or have influence if you are a victim no recourse unlike west.

Dude, if all these top tier retailers in the US routinely leak your card details, do you really believe Experian and the likes, in the US, are any better at securing your entire credit file? That's a more immediate and more likely risk. Its highly unlikely that call center dude in Bangalore has your credit details.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Dude, if all these top tier retailers in the US routinely leak your card details, do you really believe Experian and the likes, in the US, are any better at securing your entire credit file? That's a more immediate and more likely risk. Its highly unlikely that call center dude in Bangalore has your credit details.
When I spoke to this rep I was disputing an info on my credit file and I/him both were able to scroll thru my credit file same time. He does have access to my entire credit file. He verifies by asking my key info (ssn etc).

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:11 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Dude, if all these top tier retailers in the US routinely leak your card details, do you really believe Experian and the likes, in the US, are any better at securing your entire credit file? That's a more immediate and more likely risk. Its highly unlikely that call center dude in Bangalore has your credit details.
When I spoke to this rep I was disputing an info on my credit file and I/him both were able to scroll thru my credit file same time. He does have access to my entire credit file. He verifies by asking my key info (ssn etc).

I am also concerned at Indians looking at my credit report and all my financial details.

Just worried they might laugh hysterically looking at the details.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Of course....Indian electronic thieves dont target NRIs as they dont want to spoil the country's image...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:25 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:

I am also concerned at Indians looking at my credit report and all my financial details.

Hahaha! good one.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:30 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:

Hahaha! good one.

>>>Just found out my credit score was 838.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Rishi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
FluteHolder wrote:

Hahaha! good one.

>>>Just found out my credit score was 838.

Mine used to be around that...but lately it has slid down to around 770. teetering above the critical margin of 760.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:29 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Of course....Indian electronic thieves dont target NRIs  as they dont want to spoil the country's image...
On my recent trip to India, I had to deal with some kind of similar crime and If I had not used influence (A very senior level Police Contact), the police would have done nothing. I got it resolved in few days. If it is for an ordinary person/citizen, I know how the police would ignore or take it ever to investigate or take action.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:32 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Of course....Indian electronic thieves dont target NRIs  as they dont want to spoil the country's image...
On my recent trip to India, I had to deal with some kind of similar crime and If I had not used influence (A very senior level Police Contact), the police would have done nothing. I got it resolved in few days. If it is for an ordinary person/citizen, I know how the police would ignore or take it ever to investigate or take action.

>>>> This is interesting.

http://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/two-nigerians-held-for-siphoning-off-rs-70-lakh-from-nri-account/

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down