Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Indians are racists

Go down

Indians are racists Empty Indians are racists

Post by Guest Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:12 am

I was in school when I first started associating danger with skin colour. My friends and I had been told by a parent to not go near strangers, who our imagination coloured in darker hues. As I grew up along the shores of the Godavari in western Andhra Pradesh, this meant an almost-comical wariness of almost everyone, from the very friendly milkman and the school attendant to my mother’s office staff. Years later, I realised my phobia was no laughing matter.

Festering racism in India is back under the spotlight after a wave of violence was unleashed on Nigerian students in Greater Noida, who were beaten, kicked and punched by a rampaging mob. For the 40,000-odd Africans living in India, this was an only-too-familiar reminder of the danger the community lives under.

Six Africans were thrashed in three separate incidents in Chhattarpur last year. A week before that, a Congolese national was bludgeoned to death. In Bengaluru, a Tanzanian student and her friends were attacked by a mob last year.

Africans say this is only the tip of an iceberg of discrimination that our society directs at them every time they step out onto streets, malls or public spaces. They are roughed up, showered with racial slurs and often called criminals, drug peddlers and sex workers – exemplified in the midnight raid at south Delhi’s Khirki village led by then city law minister Somnath Bharti.

But the root of this animosity is a far more insidious prejudice that is cemented by our popular culture: The bias against darker skin tones that lets us use the word “kaala” as an all-weather insult.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/opinion/it-does-matter-if-you-re-black-or-white-racism-entrenched-in-india-s-pop-culture-with-help-from-bollywood/story-yTXBgDcSjNHfjSYDKVzD8O.html

----
agree with the racism bit although i personally never heard the word "kaala" being used as an insult.

Back to top Go down

Indians are racists Empty Re: Indians are racists

Post by Guest Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:21 am

i am not sure whether the material below denotes a racist attack. the people were presumably upset with the nigerians because they held them responsible for the drug supply; however many innocent nigerians may have ended up getting thrashed.

Two days after a 16-year-old boy died of alleged drug overdose in Uttar Pradesh, the residents of Greater Noida staged a protest march over his death. The protest suddenly turned violent and triggered a vicious racial attack as locals have accused Africans living in the area. Meanwhile, as many as five people have been arrested in connection with the assault on four Nigerian nationals in Greater Noida. External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has said that she has spoken to Uttar Pradesh government and has asked for a report. (ANI)

http://www.hindustantimes.com/videos/india-news/nigerian-nationals-attacked-by-locals-in-greater-noida-5-people-detained/video-gyv95v4gDgXvdUTNAw4nOM.html

Back to top Go down