Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally, representation for tax-paying Indian citizens

3 posters

Go down

Finally, representation for tax-paying Indian citizens Empty Finally, representation for tax-paying Indian citizens

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:19 pm

NRIs can vote in Indian elections now. If you are interested in voting, time to check with the folks back home whether your name is still on the voters' list. Then you can register at your nearest Indian consulate to vote in assembly and parliamentary elections. I am going to register at the local consulate soon.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/pravasi-bhartiya-news/NRIs-can-vote-in-Indian-elections-Manmohan/articleshow/11417075.cms

Thanks to Maria for bringing this news to my attention.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Finally, representation for tax-paying Indian citizens Empty Re: Finally, representation for tax-paying Indian citizens

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Carvaka,

This link is far better and has more info than the one I posted.

Thanks for the thanks:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Finally, representation for tax-paying Indian citizens Empty Re: Finally, representation for tax-paying Indian citizens

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:44 pm

charvaka wrote:NRIs can vote in Indian elections now. If you are interested in voting, time to check with the folks back home whether your name is still on the voters' list. Then you can register at your nearest Indian consulate to vote in assembly and parliamentary elections. I am going to register at the local consulate soon.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/pravasi-bhartiya-news/NRIs-can-vote-in-Indian-elections-Manmohan/articleshow/11417075.cms

Maria assumed OCI means DUAL citizenship - which the govt. itself said no (and I put the link). Again, shhe is too excited at this "vote business" and I explained to her that it does not apply to any of us and she understood - but forgot.

There are conditions:

1. this is ONLY for holders of (REAL) Indian passport

2. has to have voter id Card

3. Has to go to India to their STATED address to vote.

4. You can vote ONLY if your vote is still available at the booth - meaning someone has not already voted.

5. The local sections of the parties now know who are all NRIs on the voter roles. So start expecting harrassment and threats for money.

Enzoy the voting rights.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
charvaka wrote:NRIs can vote in Indian elections now. If you are interested in voting, time to check with the folks back home whether your name is still on the voters' list. Then you can register at your nearest Indian consulate to vote in assembly and parliamentary elections. I am going to register at the local consulate soon.

Maria assumed OCI means DUAL citizenship - which the govt. itself said no (and I put the link). Again, shhe is too excited at this "vote business" and I explained to her that it does not apply to any of us and she understood - but forgot.

There are conditions:

1. this is ONLY for holders of (REAL) Indian passport

2. has to have voter id Card

3. Has to go to India to their STATED address to vote.

4. You can vote ONLY if your vote is still available at the booth - meaning someone has not already voted.

5. The local sections of the parties now know who are all NRIs on the voter roles. So start expecting harrassment and threats for money.

Enzoy the voting rights.
What you say was true before this new rule. Now, conditions 1 and 2 still apply. In addition, you need to register at the consulate. Then you can vote without going to the voting booth in India.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Kindly do not assume- anything about Maria!

Please...you need to stop Saamiyar Smile ! The OCI thing was in jest about how it looks like a little passport and just the "sentimental part" about being known as an "Overseas Citizen of India"..absolutely not in any legal context.

Ayyo..as an American Citizen -why will I assume that I can vote as an NRI?

This is obviously ONLY for Indians who are "real citizens" and have not changed Citizenship! And I think it's a good change.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:01 pm

Maria S wrote:This is obviously ONLY for Indians who are "real citizens" and have not changed Citizenship!
Exactly... that's why I said Indian citizens in the thread title.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down