Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

on the hindu-muslim synthesis threads

5 posters

Go down

on the hindu-muslim synthesis threads Empty on the hindu-muslim synthesis threads

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:46 am

i've at various times posted about the mappilla community in kerala, about the juma masjid in kerala, the oldest mosque in india, the marakkayars in TN, and about justice m.m.ismail's writing and lecturing on the kambarAmAyaNam. i may have also mentioned sheikh chinna moulana the nAdaswaram vidwAn (here is s clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRIcYRvePc). but these aren't of much interest to rashmun. why? i have a theory -- because these examples are grounded in an indigenous southern indian ethos with no connection whatever to northindia, urdhu, or his beloved moghals. he'd rather talk about some emissary sent to southern india by the catamite debauching moghals.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

on the hindu-muslim synthesis threads Empty Re: on the hindu-muslim synthesis threads

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:52 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i've at various times posted about the mappilla community in kerala, about the juma masjid in kerala, the oldest mosque in india, the marakkayars in TN, and about justice m.m.ismail's writing and lecturing on the kambarAmAyaNam. i may have also mentioned sheikh chinna moulana the nAdaswaram vidwAn (here is s clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRIcYRvePc). but these aren't of much interest to rashmun. why? i have a theory -- because these examples are grounded in an indigenous southern indian ethos with no connection whatever to northindia, urdhu, or his beloved moghals. he'd rather talk about some emissary sent to southern india by the catamite debauching moghals.

T lol! lol! lol!

That phrase is USERNAME worthy.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

on the hindu-muslim synthesis threads Empty Re: on the hindu-muslim synthesis threads

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:54 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i've at various times posted about the mappilla community in kerala, about the juma masjid in kerala, the oldest mosque in india, the marakkayars in TN, and about justice m.m.ismail's writing and lecturing on the kambarAmAyaNam. i may have also mentioned sheikh chinna moulana the nAdaswaram vidwAn (here is s clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pRIcYRvePc). but these aren't of much interest to rashmun. why? i have a theory -- because these examples are grounded in an indigenous southern indian ethos with no connection whatever to northindia, urdhu, or his beloved moghals. he'd rather talk about some emissary sent to southern india by the catamite debauching moghals.

of course all these posts are of interest to me and i have been reading all these posts of yours. its just that i don't know enough to contribute to these threads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:34 pm

Mappila Paattu or Mappila Song is a folklore Muslim devotional song genre rendered to lyrics in Arabic-laced Malayalam, by Muslims or Mappilas of the Malabar belt of Kerala in south India.[32] Mappila songs have a distinct cultural identity, as they sound a mix of the ethos and culture of Kerala as well as West Asia. They deal with themes such as religion, love, satire and heroism. Most of the mapillapatu are mixed with Malayalam, Hindi, Urdu, Persian, Arabic, Tamil etc. it keeps many 'ishals' (tunes), prasams (rhyming parts) and things like that. Moyinkutty Vaidyar is one of the oldest poets in mapilapattu.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mappila

---

Sorry about this.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:of course all these posts are of interest to me and i have been reading all these posts of yours. its just that i don't know enough to contribute to these threads.
Do you know anything about HiMu? It looks like HiMu (also spelled in English as Hemu) was India's first secular king, according to a link that I have already posted four times, and is thereby established as the ultimate truth. It appears that HiMu was also for meritocracy, so he is opposed to caste-based reservations. HiMu, by way of his name, is the ultimate symbol of Hindu-Muslim synthesis. It is also possible that HiMu spent a large part of his life in Uttar Pradesh. So what is your opinion of HiMu?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:

of course all these posts are of interest to me and i have been reading all these posts of yours. its just that i don't know enough to contribute to these threads.

rofl

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:Mappila Paattu or Mappila Song is a folklore Muslim devotional song genre rendered to lyrics in Arabic-laced Malayalam, by Muslims or Mappilas of the Malabar belt of Kerala in south India.[32] Mappila songs have a distinct cultural identity, as they sound a mix of the ethos and culture of Kerala as well as West Asia. They deal with themes such as religion, love, satire and heroism. Most of the mapillapatu are mixed with Malayalam, Hindi, Urdu, Persian, Arabic, Tamil etc. it keeps many 'ishals' (tunes), prasams (rhyming parts) and things like that. Moyinkutty Vaidyar is one of the oldest poets in mapilapattu.

---

Sorry about this.

right, thereby proving my point about you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Mappila Paattu or Mappila Song is a folklore Muslim devotional song genre rendered to lyrics in Arabic-laced Malayalam, by Muslims or Mappilas of the Malabar belt of Kerala in south India.[32] Mappila songs have a distinct cultural identity, as they sound a mix of the ethos and culture of Kerala as well as West Asia. They deal with themes such as religion, love, satire and heroism. Most of the mapillapatu are mixed with Malayalam, Hindi, Urdu, Persian, Arabic, Tamil etc. it keeps many 'ishals' (tunes), prasams (rhyming parts) and things like that. Moyinkutty Vaidyar is one of the oldest poets in mapilapattu.

---

Sorry about this.

--> almost every important cultural aspect in India would have been subjected to at least some cross pollination. (this applies to both NI and SI.) the reason is that India is an ancient country. you gave a small list of things which u thought would not have received any cultural fusion from NI but you were still wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:00 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:of course all these posts are of interest to me and i have been reading all these posts of yours. its just that i don't know enough to contribute to these threads.
Do you know anything about HiMu? It looks like HiMu (also spelled in English as Hemu) was India's first secular king, according to a link that I have already posted four times, and is thereby established as the ultimate truth. It appears that HiMu was also for meritocracy, so he is opposed to caste-based reservations. HiMu, by way of his name, is the ultimate symbol of Hindu-Muslim synthesis. It is also possible that HiMu spent a large part of his life in Uttar Pradesh. So what is your opinion of HiMu?

--> don't Bahamani rulers and Vijayanagar kings precede Hemu? Were these kings not retaining hindus (in the case of the B rulers) and muslims (in the case of the V rulers). By the way, i am tired of constantly having to shed light on your ignorance about your own telugu culture:

http://forums.sulekha.com/forums/personal/carvaka-275896.htm

carvaka posted Re:[Carvaka] on 4 yrs ago
Thanks for the explanation.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:

--> don't Bahamani rulers and Vijayanagar kings precede Hemu? Were these kings not retaining hindus (in the case of the B rulers) and muslims (in the case of the V rulers). By the way, i am tired of constantly having to shed light on your ignorance about your own telugu culture:

Thanks for the nonexplanation of your views on HiMu.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:

u ought to have understood by now that i consider the Bahamani and Vijayanagar kings as being secular (and i explained why) and i am also pointing out that they precede Hemu. So Hemu cannot be considered the first secular Indian king, unless it is your contention that the Bahamani and Vijayanagar kings were not Indians.

Are you not going to say 'Thanks' this time round like you did four years ago when i enlightened you about a certain aspect of the Battle of Talikota?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:09 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Why this display of gaddari towards Rashman, Great Glut Admin? His feelings are hurt.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:

u ought to have understood by now that i consider the Bahamani and Vijayanagar kings as being secular (and i explained why) and i am also pointing out that they precede Hemu. So Hemu cannot be considered the first secular Indian king, unless it is your contention that the Bahamani and Vijayanagar kings were not Indians.

Are you not going to say 'Thanks' this time round like you did four years ago when i enlightened you about a certain aspect of the Battle of Talikota?
Actually none of those kings were secular (look up the meaning in a dictionary). But you still have not expressed your views about HiMu. What do you think of him?
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:18 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Why this display of gaddari towards Rashman, Great Glut Admin? His feelings are hurt.

The Admin should watch out for his words. He has been told by Rashmunullah NOT to criticize and certainly not to oppose him. If he continued, he will

Start a thread in the old CH and file a complaint to the CH Moral police.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:Do you know anything about HiMu? It looks like HiMu (also spelled in English as Hemu) was India's first secular king, according to a link that I have already posted four times, and is thereby established as the ultimate truth. It appears that HiMu was also for meritocracy, so he is opposed to caste-based reservations. HiMu, by way of his name, is the ultimate symbol of Hindu-Muslim synthesis. It is also possible that HiMu spent a large part of his life in Uttar Pradesh. So what is your opinion of HiMu?

Actually none of those kings were secular (look up the meaning in a dictionary). But you still have not expressed your views about HiMu. What do you think of him?

I have responded to your original claim about Hemu being the first secular Indian king. Are you now claiming that Hemu was not a secular king?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

---

Sorry about this.

--> almost every important cultural aspect in India would have been subjected to at least some cross pollination. (this applies to both NI and SI.) the reason is that India is an ancient country. you gave a small list of things which u thought would not have received any cultural fusion from NI but you were still wrong.

i have never denied these types of cross pollination. however despite your best efforts to mask it, you have no interest in true cross pollination. your only agenda is promoting your worldview of a sanskrito-persian supremacy in indian culture. whenever your system receives shocks from the likes of carvaka or me, you respond with your crazed blitzing of the board with a million posts extolling some nawab or sultan. your posts are never about a critical discussion about art or music itself but always about the emperor-patron of the art, or the nawab being extolled by some minor poet. i have a lot of interest in art and music but zero interest in deifying the emperor. THAT is the reason why you catch so much flak from me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

---

Sorry about this.

i have never denied these types of cross pollination. however despite your best efforts to mask it, you have no interest in true cross pollination. your only agenda is promoting your worldview of a sanskrito-persian supremacy in indian culture. whenever your system receives shocks from the likes of carvaka or me, you respond with your crazed blitzing of the board with a million posts extolling some nawab or sultan. your posts are never about a critical discussion about art or music itself but always about the emperor-patron of the art, or the nawab being extolled by some minor poet. i have a lot of interest in art and music but zero interest in deifying the emperor. THAT is the reason why you catch so much flak from me.

--> it is true that i consider most aspects of indian culture to be associated directly or indirectly with the sanskrit language. but do not forget that some of the greatest Masters of Sanskrit were South Indians. regional languages are obviously less important than the sanskrit language when it comes to Indian culture.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Rashmun wrote:

--> it is true that i consider most aspects of indian culture to be associated directly or indirectly with the sanskrit language. but do not forget that some of the greatest Masters of Sanskrit were South Indians. regional languages are obviously less important than the sanskrit language when it comes to Indian culture.

in that case you should prepare to be lightly molested from time to time whenever the fancy takes me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

---

Sorry about this.

--> to give one important example, all the great philosophical literature of India is in sanskrit. All the great South Indian philosophers like Ramanuja (a tamilian), Adi Sankara (malayali), Madhva (kannadiga) wrote all their philosophical works in sanskrit.

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm

Awww.. here I thought you two were going to kiss and make up (out) two or three posts ago.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:49 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

--> to give one important example, all the great philosophical literature of India is in sanskrit. All the great South Indian philosophers like Ramanuja (a tamilian), Adi Sankara (malayali), Madhva (kannadiga) wrote all their philosophical works in sanskrit.

the obvious advantage of sanskrit was that intellectuals in one part of India could have an intellectual discussion with people in other parts of India. Not just in philosophy, but in science. Sure, we have a few non-sanskrit scientific texts, but most of the important scientific texts are in sanskrit. All the major medical texts of Ayurveda are in sanskrit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:55 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:Awww.. here I thought you two were going to kiss and make up (out) two or three posts ago.

First, wait for the Israeli-Palestinian kiss and make up

then India-Paki Kashmir Kiss and Make up...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Rashmun wrote:I have responded to your original claim about Hemu being the first secular Indian king. Are you now claiming that Hemu was not a secular king?
Your response doesn't count. I already copy-pasted a link four times. The link says he was the first secular Indian king. QED. I am happy to copy-paste the claim again if you need to verify that such a claim has been duly made on the internet, and already copy-pasted here four times.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:11 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:I have responded to your original claim about Hemu being the first secular Indian king. Are you now claiming that Hemu was not a secular king?
Your response doesn't count. I already copy-pasted a link four times. The link says he was the first secular Indian king. QED. I am happy to copy-paste the claim again if you need to verify that such a claim has been duly made on the internet, and already copy-pasted here four times.

Sorry i bothered to respond to your posts. Please carry on.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:27 pm

2nd apology of the day!
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:43 pm

Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Thank you for the apology. I understand your loyalty for the Mughals prevents you from expressing your views about HiMu, despite his opposition to caste-based reservations and his dedicated efforts towards HiMu synthesis.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:47 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
charvaka wrote:

Thank you for the apology. I understand your loyalty for the Mughals prevents you from expressing your views about HiMu, despite his opposition to caste-based reservations and his dedicated efforts towards HiMu synthesis.

I understand completely the mental trauma you have been subjected to when i made my posts on the Battle of Talikota and the end of the Vijayanagar kings. I realize it will take you some time to recover from your shock.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Rashmun wrote:I understand completely the mental trauma you have been subjected to when i made my posts on the Battle of Talikota and the end of the Vijayanagar kings.
Yes, I just made an appointment with a therapist for the 30th of this month. I am hoping that with professional counseling, I can get over this trauma by early March. You hurt me real bad.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Cue: Background music -

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:54 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:I understand completely the mental trauma you have been subjected to when i made my posts on the Battle of Talikota and the end of the Vijayanagar kings.
Yes, I just made an appointment with a therapist for the 30th of this month. I am hoping that with professional counseling, I can get over this trauma by early March. You hurt me real bad.

Well, you did say 'Thanks for the explanation' to me during our discussion on this issue four years ago. Is the onset of your trauma four years old or has it begun only recently?

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:08 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Cue: Background music -

Talking of which:
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/01/31/no-eye-tiger-newt
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:42 pm

https://such.forumotion.com/t24567-bhai-bhai-in-south-india-the-unique-attempt-of-south-indian-hindus-to-achieve-h-m-synthesis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:45 pm

“A Deccani, on being once asked whom he considered the greater personage, the Prophet Muhammad or the Saiyid, replied, with some surprise at the question, that although the Prophet was undoubtedly a great man, yet Saiyid Muhammad Gisu-daraz was a far superior order of being.” Muhammad Qasim Firishta (d. 1611)

In July 1321, about the time Ulugh Khan's army was sent to Warangal to recover the unpaid tribute owed by Pratapa Rudra, an infant son was born in Delhi to a distinguished family of Saiyids – that is, men who claimed descent from the Prophet. Although he lived most of his life in Delhi, Saiyid Muhammad Husaini Gisu Daraz would become known mainly for his work in the Deccan, where he died in 1422 at the ripe age of just over a hundred years.

As seen in the extract from Firishta's history quoted above, this figure occupies a very special place in Deccani popular religion: soon after his death his tomb-shrine in Gulbarga became the most important object of Muslim devotion in the Deccan. It remains so today. He also stands out in the Muslim mystical tradition, as he was the first Indian shaikh to put his thoughts directly to writing, as opposed to having disciples record his conversations. But most importantly, Gisu Daraz contributed to the stabilization and indigenization of Indo-Muslim society and polity in the Deccan, as earlier generations of Sufi shaikhs had already done in Tughluq north India. In the broader context of Indo-Muslim thought and practice, his career helped transform the Deccan from what had been an infidel land available for plunder by north Indian dynasts, to a legally inviolable abode of peace.

http://histories.cambridge.org/extract?id=chol9780521254847_CHOL9780521254847A004
----

The above (in bold)  is an extract from the chapter on Gisu-Daraz from the book 'A social history of the Deccan, 1300-1761: Eight Indian Lives' (part of the New Cambridge History of India series) by Richard Eaton. it is appropriate to talk of Gisu Daraz in this thread because Hindus also frequent sufi shrines all over India. So he represents H-M synthesis, and since he was a North Indian who came to be revered in South India, he also represents NI-SI synthesis.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down