Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Repeal the second -- Justice John Paul Stevens

2 posters

Go down

Repeal the second -- Justice John Paul Stevens Empty Repeal the second -- Justice John Paul Stevens

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:58 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/opinion/john-paul-stevens-repeal-second-amendment.html?

JPS was nominated by Richard Nixon.

Stevens wrote:During the years when Warren Burger was our chief justice, from 1969 to 1986, no judge, federal or state, as far as I am aware, expressed any doubt as to the limited coverage of that amendment. When organizations like the National Rifle Association disagreed with that position and began their campaign claiming that federal regulation of firearms curtailed Second Amendment rights, Chief Justice Burger publicly characterized the N.R.A. as perpetrating “one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”

Chief Justice Burger was also nominated by Richard Nixon.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Repeal the second -- Justice John Paul Stevens Empty Re: Repeal the second -- Justice John Paul Stevens

Post by Idéfix Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:30 pm

One of the signs at our local March for Our Lives carried by a young black man said something on the lines of: "When they wrote the Second Amendment, they put my value at 3/5ths of a white guy. Things change, and they should."

The irony is, the second amendment doesn't even need to be repealed. The amendment should just be read in full, including the opening clause about a well-regulated militia.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down