Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On Mogul descendant's feud

+2
Kris
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
6 posters

Go down

On Mogul descendant's feud Empty On Mogul descendant's feud

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:18 am

.....Interesting story...about mogul descendants and looting. (Dedicated to Maulana Rashmunullah)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

On Mogul descendant's feud Empty Re: On Mogul descendant's feud

Post by Kris Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:22 am

WTH- these guys are still around? I thought the descendants were gone by the mid 19th century.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:27 pm

they live in slums . last heard india today magazine has done a story on them some 15 years back .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:13 pm

ashdoc wrote:they live in slums . last heard india today magazine has done a story on them some 15 years back .

yes I remember a story 15 or may be 20 years ago which claimed that they were living as beggars.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:14 pm

artood2 wrote:
ashdoc wrote:they live in slums . last heard india today magazine has done a story on them some 15 years back .

yes I remember a story 15 or may be 20 years ago which claimed that they were living as beggars.

Strangely enough, their representatives in Tamil Nadu the Nawabs of Arcot are doing quite well for themselves.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:16 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Strangely enough, their representatives in Tamil Nadu the Nawabs of Arcot are doing quite well for themselves.

what is "representative"? Posiiton in darbar or illegal lineage?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Kind of like a mughal governor. Nawabs of Arcot became independent sometime after Aurangzeb's death when the mughal kingdom disintegrated.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
artood2 wrote:

Kind of like a mughal governor. Nawabs of Arcot became independent sometime after Aurangzeb's death when the mughal kingdom disintegrated.

Oh the govs. I am sure some other descendants of some governor for some king may be doing fine as well.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:35 pm

interestingly , the descendants of mir jaffar ( the one who betrayed nawab siraj ud daulah at the battle of plassey to the british ) live in style in their own building in calcutta .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:39 pm

ashdoc wrote:interestingly , the descendants of mir jaffar ( the one who betrayed nawab siraj ud daulah at the battle of plassey to the british ) live in style in their own building in calcutta .

in contrast, the descendants of Tipu Sultan who fought against the British lead a middle class lifestyle today:

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/84165/im-bengali-says-tipu-sultans.html

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:41 pm

ashdoc wrote:interestingly , the descendants of mir jaffar ( the one who betrayed nawab siraj ud daulah at the battle of plassey to the british ) live in style in their own building in calcutta .

The descendants of the Wodeyar Rajas of Karnataka who sided with the British also live a life of luxury and comfort today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:46 pm

is rashmun a decendant of a mugal?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:is rashmun a decendant of a mugal?

have you turned communal now? what happened to all your secular talk that you are not against muslims bla bla?

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:14 pm

Rashmun wrote:The descendants of the Wodeyar Rajas of Karnataka who sided with the British also live a life of luxury and comfort today.
As does the Prince (hahaha) of Arcot.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:20 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:The descendants of the Wodeyar Rajas of Karnataka who sided with the British also live a life of luxury and comfort today.
As does the Prince (hahaha) of Arcot.

Correct. Likewise the Nizam of Hyderabad. But unlike Tipu Sultan and Bahadur Shah Zafar.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:42 pm

... Likewise the Nizam (hahaha) of Hyderabad...

*fixed*
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:53 pm

charvaka wrote:... Likewise the Nizam (hahaha) of Hyderabad...

*fixed*

it is true that the Nizam of the time (i am now talking about the contemporary of Tipu Sultan) initially fought against the british but then later (when he realized the might of british power) he began to collude with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Rashmun wrote:it is true that the Nizam of the time (i am now talking about the contemporary of Tipu Sultan) initially fought against the british
... colluding with the French who were equally bent on conquering southern India.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:59 pm

charvaka wrote:
Rashmun wrote:it is true that the Nizam of the time (i am now talking about the contemporary of Tipu Sultan) initially fought against the british
... colluding with the French who were equally bent on conquering southern India.

as per my recollection, there was one battle which the Nizam fought against the British in which Tipu was his ally. But then there was a subsequent battle between Tipu and the British in which the Nizam was with the British. I do not remember whether the french participated in these two battles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down