Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a highly consequential case working its way up to the supreme court

+3
MulaiAzhagi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
7 posters

Go down

a highly consequential case working its way up to the supreme court Empty a highly consequential case working its way up to the supreme court

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:26 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/education/colleges-worry-supreme-court-could-make-diversity-more-elusive.html

this could have nuclear consequences. if the complaint is argued successfully this could be a huge success for asian kids who have been pissed off with the ivies for a long time now. wonder what will happen to the legal action that asian kids have brought against other schools like berkeley in the recent past.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

a highly consequential case working its way up to the supreme court Empty Re: a highly consequential case working its way up to the supreme court

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:37 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/22/education/colleges-worry-supreme-court-could-make-diversity-more-elusive.html

this could have nuclear consequences. if the complaint is argued successfully this could be a huge success for asian kids who have been pissed off with the ivies for a long time now. wonder what will happen to the legal action that asian kids have brought against other schools like berkeley in the recent past.

Hope the supreme court turns over the quota system... The spread of incompetent hispanic and, that too, hispanic women (the hottest show case for any corporation or institution) is mind boggling. This has spread to everything from admission to scholarships to hiring and promotion....

Just look around.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

a highly consequential case working its way up to the supreme court Empty Re: a highly consequential case working its way up to the supreme court

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:52 am

===> A couple of years ago, one of my co-workers a Hispanic woman who got her Ph.D in Economics from the University of Maryland said that Indians and Chinese are not considered as minorities when it came to college admissions.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> A couple of years ago, one of my co-workers a Hispanic woman who got her Ph.D in Economics from the University of Maryland said that Indians and Chinese are not considered as minorities when it came to college admissions.
I thought the focus was on recruiting more underrepresented minorities, not just all minorities. By that criterion, Indians and Chinese certainly do not qualify for affirmative action in higher education in the US.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:===> A couple of years ago, one of my co-workers a Hispanic woman who got her Ph.D in Economics from the University of Maryland said that Indians and Chinese are not considered as minorities when it came to college admissions.

Indians are considered minorities only for small business category. Not in academic institutions. They are in corporate world -but practically, no one considers them minorities unless it is a female. Then she comes under a female preference.

you know who is the hottest after hispanic woman? A purdah wearing muslim woman... so that corporations/institutions can claim they are not against muslims....

I tell ya...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:09 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Indians are considered minorities only for small business category. Not in academic institutions. They are in corporate world -but practically, no one considers them minorities unless it is a female. Then she comes under a female preference.

you know who is the hottest after hispanic woman? A purdah wearing muslim woman... so that corporations/institutions can claim they are not against muslims....

I tell ya...
The focus of all diversity efforts ought to be -- and for the most part is -- to improve the representation of underrepresented segments of the population. In some lines of work like mine, white males are underrepresented.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:25 am

>>> I think the operative word is or used to be 'economically disadvantaged'. In general, Indians/Chinese would not be able to make a case for this. In terms of college admissions, one of the terms I have heard tossed about is 'NAM'- Non-Asian minorities. This is in the context of discussions of scores on aptitude tests etc, but I don't know how prevalent this term is. I really think they should do away with this whole thing and let the chips fall where they may. I don't see the need for this social engineering. Just make sure acts of discrimination based on someone's background or gender are prevented thru the usage of the full force of the law.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:01 am

I tell ya...

Mr.Know it all becomes Mr. Racist Know it all.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:49 am

doofus_maximus wrote:

I tell ya...

Yeah rite.. Dr. Rabbit....When you say it is knowledge... When I say it it is just random blabbering...

(For other than Geniuses like Dr. Rabbit) Now...the economically disadvantaged is just another factor. Sure, someone graduating from high school living in a trailer trash certainly gets noticed. But, in most other instances (other than school admissions) the underrepresented minority status - blacks, handicapped, hispanic, native american, women run over everyone else. A black, handicapped woman with minimum qualifications is GOLD. If they are even half goodly, they can write their own check.

Read what Gen Powell said

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am

doofus_maximus wrote:

I tell ya...

Yeah rite.. Dr. Rabbit....When you say it is knowledge... When I say it it is just random blabbering...

LMAO... when have you stopped dispensing 'Knowledge' on any topic under the sun.

What does the rant below mean??

(For other than Geniuses like Dr. Rabbit) Now...the economically disadvantaged is just another factor. Sure, someone graduating from high school living in a trailer trash certainly gets noticed. But, in most other instances (other than school admissions) the underrepresented minority status - blacks, handicapped, hispanic, native american, women run over everyone else. A black, handicapped woman with minimum qualifications is GOLD. If they are even half goodly, they can write their own check.

Read what Gen Powell said
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:58 am

in defense of uppili, that hispanic woman he has working as labor secretary - what a joke she is. half the time she doesnt even understand the questions asked of her and is extreme leftwing ideological to a fault. contrast her with alina chow, robert reich etc before her and you'll see what watering down academic credentials does to long term.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:00 pm

that woman's name is hilda solis

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:02 pm

for one example you give about lack of academic credentials among hispanics , there are one which is the opposite.

SC Judge Sotomayer immediately comes to mind.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:

[color=red]LMAO... when have you stopped dispensing 'Knowledge' on any topic under the sun.

If you take my "VIEWS" as knowledge, it only indicates inadequacy in intelligence.... If you cannot differentiate between Views, opinions, and knowledge, perhaps you should learn that first.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:08 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:for one example you give about lack of academic credentials among hispanics , there are one which is the opposite.

who else other than sotomeyer? have you worked with any american hispanics in workplace that came through the AA route? I have and the experience hasnt been good...

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 pm

but but..educate me puhlease on the semantics. I mistakenly understood that your view and brain droppings were ultra refined knowledge coming from a great philosopher/economist/social scientist/medical scientist/etc/etc.

See below

### hahahaha.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:12 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:for one example you give about lack of academic credentials among hispanics , there are one which is the opposite.

who else other than sotomeyer? have you worked with any american hispanics in workplace that came through the AA route? I have and the experience hasnt been good...

Oh...there are women in his own workplace, whose names if you replaced with male names, would not even make the first cut in the hiring process. Of course, he is still inexperienced, with a single-location work experience, and he is still under the utopic American fantasies.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Let us just say my experience in academic setting has been different. After 15 plus years in American universities, I can recall one just one black professor who was incompetent. Many other under-represented minorities professors and students were/are better than average. Every univ has a department which covers for all the other departments and hires these under-represented minorities under AA. In our univ it has been our dept for a long long time. So we have first hand experience working with them in a cutting edge research environment. They all do adequately well. I say adequately well, because not many folks (be they white, black, asian or hispanic) have performed at an outstanding level or probably my standards are impossibly high.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Oh...there are women in his own workplace, whose names if you replaced with male names, would not even make the first cut in the hiring process. Of course, he is still inexperienced, with a single-location work experience, and he is still under the utopic American fantasies.

Right.. I have single work place experience but you are Mr. Travelled well who worked 3 jobs a day at three different locations all over the US for the last 30 years.

Wow.. how did you know what is in my resume.
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down