Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rutgers Day 2012

4 posters

Go down

Rutgers Day 2012 Empty Rutgers Day 2012

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:08 pm

http://rutgersday.rutgers.edu/

Found about it by chance, and took the kids, along with the older one's friend. It was so much fun. The day started out cold and breezy, but the sun was great and turned gorgeous.

We could cover just one campus, the Busch Campus, which focused on science, life sciences, sports, and different engineerings. There were several booths both educational and fun.

Many had projects that the students had built themselves, ranging from batteries, to solar powered or chemically controlled cars to construction beams made from recyclables. And they demo'ed e'thing with so much zeal and answered all questions so patiently.

Others were to demo some scientific facts like icecreams from liquid nitrogen, and phenomena like the quicksand or corn starch properties.

Many booths kept quizzes on science and GK, and gave away so many prizes. e.g. on models of the human body (skeleton, brain), CSI investigations, HIV/aids, famous rutgers/science people, nature, solar, pharmacy, business, economics, politics, what not.

Near the football stadiums was a playfield where kids could do different exercises of a sports person, like racing, pull ups, pushups, situps, jumping, etc, and get points. There were also football games but we skipped those.

Then there were also many booths focused on career choices. We got into this also a little late.

Not just that, there were many fun booths too everywhere, like slides, and many bouncing booths. to keep kids interested in all kinds of activities.

The students rock band also played most of the time.

Everything thing was free, parking, admission, many candies, cup cakes, popcorn and candy cotton. However, the main food booths were pretty expensive.

Kids had a blast while at the same time, developing great interest in science. I think we checked out pretty much every booth. Whether they were interacting with the 13-year-old girls, or with the 7-year-old boy, everyone felt like they were participating.

Overall, my opinion of the university has changed too, all positive. I didn't know so many original researches and inventions have taken place here.

I would definitely encourage e'one with kids in the area to attend the next ones if not already.

Back to top Go down

Rutgers Day 2012 Empty Re: Rutgers Day 2012

Post by Bittu Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:01 pm

sounds like a fun day. shoulda taken some pix.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Bittu wrote:sounds like a fun day. shoulda taken some pix.

Took quite a few pics and videos of the kids. From iPhone though. Let's see how they come out.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Many booths kept quizzes on science ......

i am fascinated by this usage of yours. i've seen it a few times now. what is its origin? it's clearly a very indian usage and i'm trying to figure it out. is it from something like "rakhE thE?"
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:13 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

i am fascinated by this usage of yours. i've seen it a few times now. what is its origin? it's clearly a very indian usage and i'm trying to figure it out. is it from something like "rakhE thE?"

in my case of writing in excitement, yes. simple x-lation from hindi to english. Shoulda used 'held quizzes'.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

in my case of writing in excitement, yes. simple x-lation from hindi to english. Shoulda used 'held quizzes'.

please don't stop writing like this. it will be less entertaining. always more fun to try and figure out where such usages come from. i am sure i have a few.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:20 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Tracy Whitney wrote:

please don't stop writing like this. it will be less entertaining. always more fun to try and figure out where such usages come from. i am sure i have a few.

What incorrect usages do you have? Are they your own mistakes, or have you compiled a list by now?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:22 pm

i meant my own. these usages are not incorrect. there's nothing wrong with the grammar, they're just quirky and i find it interesting to figure out where they came from.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Yes. I concur.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:40 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:http://rutgersday.rutgers.edu/

Overall, my opinion of the university has changed too, all positive. I didn't know so many original researches and inventions have taken place here.

I would definitely encourage e'one with kids in the area to attend the next ones if not already.

>>>>I have been doing the college rounds since last year- some huge public ones, some small private ones. Exciting most of the time, triggers some regrets once in awhile, about opportunities missed. Coincidentally, going to Berkeley in a little while, but to talk to a caterer about a do coming up, not the school.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>>I have been doing the college rounds since last year- some huge public ones, some small private ones. Exciting most of the time, triggers some regrets once in awhile, about opportunities missed. Coincidentally, going to Berkeley in a little while, but to talk to a caterer about a do coming up, not the school.

I am just about starting to know about universities now that my older one is starting highschool next fall. I did my MS here, but it's so much diff in grad than it is in undergrad. After going thru the campus, I did tell my kids that I wish that I did undergrad here as well. In fact, one of my friends back then had urged me a lot to consider it. Even gave me SAT prep materials. He himself came here for that. But anyway, for an international student with limited resources, it does get tough, as he told me later. Will experience all that through my kids (if they allow me, that is Smile )

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 pm

I concur again.

Here is what I am seeing... Cali students are finding it tough to get into Berkeley, where as much dumber guys from midwest get into Berkeley. Thanks to the diversity factor.

If any of your kids wants to go into medicine - then get out of California - N O W. - in increase their chances of getting into a decent school (I dont consider South Dakota, Univ of Kansas med Schools as decent-although they loot patients to the same extent.)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:03 am

nice thread. interesting catch by max of "kept." i think even i use "kept" occasionally or gloss over the usage. my opinion of rutgers changes. nice narrative tw.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:15 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I concur again.

Here is what I am seeing... Cali students are finding it tough to get into Berkeley, where as much dumber guys from midwest get into Berkeley. Thanks to the diversity factor.

If any of your kids wants to go into medicine - then get out of California - N O W. - in increase their chances of getting into a decent school (I dont consider South Dakota, Univ of Kansas med Schools as decent-although they loot patients to the same extent.)

>>>Berkeley is pretty much a reach for most Calif kids, thanks to the budget cutbacks and the UC's going after out-of-state or foreign students for the higher tuition (income). My guys have not shown any interest in medicine. I guess there is a silver lining to every cloud.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:31 am

Kris wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I concur again.

>>>Berkeley is pretty much a reach for most Calif kids, thanks to the budget cutbacks and the UC's going after out-of-state or foreign students for the higher tuition (income). My guys have not shown any interest in medicine. I guess there is a silver lining to every cloud.

>>>Forgot to add: the UC' s have come under attack for this and Berkeley apparently is pulling back on this. Given the state of the budget and the # of applicants these types of school have, this doesn't even come close to solving the issue.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Tracy Whitney wrote:
Kris wrote:

I am just about starting to know about universities now that my older one is starting highschool next fall. I did my MS here, but it's so much diff in grad than it is in undergrad. After going thru the campus, I did tell my kids that I wish that I did undergrad here as well. In fact, one of my friends back then had urged me a lot to consider it. Even gave me SAT prep materials. He himself came here for that. But anyway, for an international student with limited resources, it does get tough, as he told me later. Will experience all that through my kids (if they allow me, that is Smile )

Well....it is better late than never.... who is/can stop you now? You are not some 102 yr old (yet).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down