Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poor English skills of Tamils

5 posters

Go down

Poor English skills of Tamils Empty Poor English skills of Tamils

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed May 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Surya (Bangalore) says:

March 26,2012 at 03:22 PM IST

Bengalis have this notion of being great and right all the time. So anything with even remote link to Bengali will be lauded by these people who can not even create jobs in their own land and live off other states' largesse. There is no point in discussing the merits of this article because it is not objective. Tamilians also suffer from this notion of being a noble race. They will try to please all other communities in India and get booted in the end. Tamilians should get out of their Language fanaticism and embrace English wholeheartedly. The absence of good Debaters in English from TN ( non-brahmin) is the main reason for National & International media ignoring Tamil issues. Surya ( Bangalore)

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/right-and-wrong/entry/a-friendly-neighbour-s-betrayal

===> There is a lot of truth in the comment by Surya on this stupid Bengali's article. Swapan Dasgupta is oblivious to the Sri Lankan government's genocide against Tamils in SriLanka.

Like Surya said Tamils cannot effectively engage in debate with other communities in India because Tamils are not good in English either. THis includes me also.

Having gotten rid of Hindi, the DMK government should have improved the standard of teaching English in all the public schools in TN.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Poor English skills of Tamils Empty Thread-jacking to address a broader issue - Poor comprehension skills in general

Post by Petrichor Wed May 16, 2012 1:58 pm

A good indicator of reading abilities is the PISA test:

"I think students studying in English medium schools in India would find the questions that test reading literacy quite challenging. In many English medium schools in India I doubt if the students are as fluent in English as they ought to be, despite English being the medium of instruction. I haven't come across the samples of questions adminstered in Tamil or Hindi during the 2009+ cycle of tests in Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh. It would be interesting to look at samples of those. But in any case, the average test scores of those children in India who took the PISA 2009+ tests in their own first langauge were a bit lower than those who took the test in a language different from their first language (presumably, English was the language the latter took the test in). Reading literacy may be an issue even for students in schools where the local langauge is the medium of instruction.

If reading and comprehension is a problem, then students are likely to find the questions that test mathematical and scientific literacy challenging too, even if they may be good at math and science.

We may be failing to build reading and comprehension skills as well as we ought to, whether in the local langauge or English. We need to figure out why we are not doing well on that front and what we can do differently to build those skills. Lack of reading and comprehension skills may be one of the reasons for the poor show in the PISA 2009+ cycle of tests by students in Tamil Nadu and Himachal Pradesh." - K Satyanarayan

http://prayatna.typepad.com/education/2012/01/pisa-sample-questions.html

For the PISA test samples,

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/47/23/41943106.pdf

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Poor English skills of Tamils Empty Re: Poor English skills of Tamils

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed May 16, 2012 3:05 pm

yes agree. sasthi's english teacher is specimen #1. and see what he has inflicted upon us!
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed May 16, 2012 3:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:yes agree. sasthi's english teacher is specimen #1. and see what he has inflicted upon us!

Thalaiva Sariya Sonnengo Thalaiva. Ellan En forehead writings that I had to learn English from Tamil teacher. Still have confusions with commas and hyphens and forming sentences. I need a English Teacher!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed May 16, 2012 3:26 pm

"forehead writings" LOL...you should first stop the habit of slapping your own forehead when things go wrong.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Thu May 17, 2012 2:01 pm

atcg wrote:"forehead writings" LOL...you should first stop the habit of slapping your own forehead when things go wrong.
i suspect she means "thalai ezhuththu" or fate.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Thu May 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Yes, of course. And I was referring to the typical physical gesture that accompanies the words, "en thalai ezhuthhu!" Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down