Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IIT entrnace exam - AP grabs most seats

+6
indophile
Petrichor
Jeremiah Mburuburu
Kumarg
MulaiAzhagi
truthbetold
10 posters

Go down

IIT entrnace exam - AP grabs most seats Empty IIT entrnace exam - AP grabs most seats

Post by truthbetold Fri May 18, 2012 11:23 pm

As was the case for past several years, AP once again set to grab about 20 to 25% of IIT seats this year. AP students secured 8 of the top 20 ranks in open category. Students from AP also secured first in OBC, SC and ST categories.

SC Gurukul set up for poor SC students secured several ranks in first one thousand competing with open category students.

This success is attributable to the training institutes of AP. They proved that success is possible through hardwork.

Yes. I read those snotty comments by Narayan Murthy and few others disapproving of tutorial colleges. May be they are right, May be not.

For more than a decade, AP students have been successful in getting disproportionately larger share of coveted IIT seats.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

IIT entrnace exam - AP grabs most seats Empty Re: IIT entrnace exam - AP grabs most seats

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat May 19, 2012 12:42 am

Just curious about one thing.

Why is that guys who got into IIT after going through the JEE training sessions claim that the training institutes did not really help them very much?

I guess they want to show off that they were born geniuses. It is only their parents forced them to undergo the coaching classes. They would have made it to IIT anyway.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

IIT entrnace exam - AP grabs most seats Empty Re: IIT entrnace exam - AP grabs most seats

Post by truthbetold Sat May 19, 2012 12:59 am

[quote="MulaiAzhagi"]Just curious about one thing.

Why is that guys who got into IIT after going through the JEE training sessions claim that the training institutes did not really help them very much?"

Sara,

Did you ask those made those claims, why they were making those claims? If not, why not?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Sat May 19, 2012 1:26 am

truthbetold wrote:.

This success is attributable to the training institutes of AP. They proved that success is possible through hardwork.

For more than a decade, AP students have been successful in getting disproportionately larger share of coveted IIT seats.

There is an easy solution to this, I mean not a "solution" solution, as it not a problem, in fact its quite admirable that these kids get into top schools. But why haven't they opened up these coaching centers all over the country? If I were into that business, I would see it as big market and open coaching centers in all the metros and major cities of India. Why are these coaching centers confined only to AP?

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat May 19, 2012 1:38 am

Kumarg wrote:
truthbetold wrote:.

why are these coaching centers confined only to AP?
apparently because there's more demand for them in ap than elsewhere.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Sat May 19, 2012 7:42 am

A total of 4,79,651 students appeared for the IIT-JEE 2012 which were held at 1,067 centres across the country for admission to 9,647 undergraduate seats in the 17 IITs in the country.

"Of the total candidates, 24,112 have secured ranks in various categories and 19,426 have been shortlisted for counselling for admission to 9,647 seats in the IITs and other institutes," Reddy said.

===> Out of 479,651 kids who took the test, how many were really serious about it?

IMO may be about 300,000 really wanted to go to IIT and prepared for the test.

24,112 kids secured ranks. Almost 1 out of 15.

If 24,112 kids secured the ranks, why admit 9,647 kids? What is the need for interview? That won't be an objective measure.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat May 19, 2012 12:06 pm

I guess the 'yield' is in the 90-97% and the Rank will outweigh any interview unless there are big red flags in the counselling.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun May 20, 2012 11:35 am

Kumarg wrote: If I were into that business, I would see it as big market and open coaching centers in all the metros and major cities of India. Why are these coaching centers confined only to AP?

I know at least 2 of them opened branches in Bangalore. I know because my BIL's son and daughter are enrolled in one of them. I heard the problem with opening up everywhere has something to do with local politics.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun May 20, 2012 5:21 pm

AP outfits were present in delhi. Chennai used to attract lot of ap students decades ago. I suspect threre may be some AP outfits there.

AS indo pointed local politics determine the ability to penetrate. But no body is stopping a person to study successful institution and start your own in any state. Good ideas need to be replicated.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Tue May 22, 2012 11:35 am

Everything in AP is epidemic. You introduce software, it goes like epedemic, you put IIT entrace it goes that way. Nobody would care if your child is missing games and sports in childhood or not. IIT fever is injected very early - as early as 2 years - and is pushed to IIT whether the kid wants or not.

I know of an IIT grad who went to Madras IIT, then to IIM Ahmedabad then to Ph.D in Austin Tx and now teaches in USA. What a waste of time! If all (s)he wanted to do was IIM IIT b.tech was not required at all. If she wanted a ph.d and teach she did not have to do MBA. sab se bekar stuff. Yes from AP. This is so because every one is pushed to IIT so (s)he took IIT and then (s)he learned in IIT that IIM was even better to get more $$. Now on to IIM and then Amrika will give you more $$. So as if the IIM does not give you enough $$, now onto Ph.D and wow, now the light has dawned. I am over educated and I cannot be employed anything but teaching. So kya karna? find an asst prof job abd teach at $60K an year. WTF is this life?

Some guys from IIT do IAS too. And if they are put in any engineering service by the IAS selection committee they take IAS again and go for district collector naukri. Great stuff. They need a simple BA to go for IAS. Why go for IIT? Because all dost are going for it man!

Stupidity at Excellence

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Kumarg Tue May 22, 2012 11:54 am

Are you sure she gets $ 60 K a year at Austin Texas as a Professor?

Kumarg

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Kumarg wrote:Are you sure she gets $ 60 K a year at Austin Texas as a Professor?
is that too low or too high compared to your expectations? it's hard to know from your post.

state universities are often required to publish salaries. here are some representative faculty salaries from UNC by academic discipline:

http://oira.unc.edu/faculty-salaries-by-school-fall.html

and here is more specific data for rutgers:

http://www.collegiatetimes.com/databases/salaries/rutgers
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue May 22, 2012 9:04 pm

AB

What is your point? On one hand you say children are forced into certain disciplines. Then you give examplesnof an adult who changes path at graduation level. Then you go on to criticize them for their professional choice. Why do you think you know better than an adult who went to premier institutions and competed successfully at high levels? Is this merely confused thinking or jealous rage?

Salary you quoted for at texas u austin indicates you need to get your facts straight.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue May 22, 2012 9:33 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:Everything in AP is epidemic. You introduce software, it goes like epedemic, you put IIT entrace it goes that way. Nobody would care if your child is missing games and sports in childhood or not. IIT fever is injected very early - as early as 2 years - and is pushed to IIT whether the kid wants or not.

I know of an IIT grad who went to Madras IIT, then to IIM Ahmedabad then to Ph.D in Austin Tx and now teaches in USA. What a waste of time! If all (s)he wanted to do was IIM IIT b.tech was not required at all. If she wanted a ph.d and teach she did not have to do MBA. sab se bekar stuff. Yes from AP. This is so because every one is pushed to IIT so (s)he took IIT and then (s)he learned in IIT that IIM was even better to get more $$. Now on to IIM and then Amrika will give you more $$. So as if the IIM does not give you enough $$, now onto Ph.D and wow, now the light has dawned. I am over educated and I cannot be employed anything but teaching. So kya karna? find an asst prof job abd teach at $60K an year. WTF is this life?

Some guys from IIT do IAS too. And if they are put in any engineering service by the IAS selection committee they take IAS again and go for district collector naukri. Great stuff. They need a simple BA to go for IAS. Why go for IIT? Because all dost are going for it man!

Stupidity at Excellence

>>>> That somehow seems way too low for an associate professor at UT- Austin. I don't understand the IIT ----> IAS route either, but different strokes - different folks etc....

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MulaiAzhagi Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm

I know one Tamil guy who graduated with B.Tech(Hons) in Mechanical Engineering from IIT Kharagpur. He did that in 1970s.
He was good at taking tests. He rejected admission offer from IIM and came over here to the United States, got an MBA in finance.
But his career was a disaster. The guy could not get tenure at the school he was teaching. His contract at the world bank did not last more than six months. One desi friend of his got him a programmer job in an IT company. The IIT man did not know C++ and he was not interested in programming either.
He was deeply religious and was spending a lot of time at the temple. I guess he must have naively thought that just acquiring these skills and education alone would be good enough to succeed in America. But there are many with similar credentials .

Finally he found a job in his field thanks to a benefactor.

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kumarg wrote:Are you sure she gets $ 60 K a year at Austin Texas as a Professor?
is that too low or too high compared to your expectations? it's hard to know from your post.

Max The question was not salary. For an asst professor the salary is always low at first - at best 120K but in small schools it is 60K. Anycase, my argument was how deeply this "switching" of career goes in AP and is put into the blood of people. What is the need to do MBA in IIM after Btech at IIT? He could have gone to USA directly. Oh, he did MBA, stratight away he would be absorbed into a big company like Citi, master card or whatever at great salary and would become a boss in time and command millions. Nay, how he went for ph.D in something else. Fine that too. Now teach? WTF?

Why is switching so many times? Because it is in blood. It is put in blood to do it. Do IIT because everyone is doing it. Now at IIT level, you have seen it all. So go for IIM bcoz you have to see that too. Then go Amrika and then WTF is he teaching? If all he wanted to do was teaching, Btech to directly Ph.D in 4 years and then any top school will hire an IIT guy. There seems to be no direction in switching. Here 4 days, there 5 days then elsewhere 3 days and then all this academic stuff went down the drain when he started to teach 2 courses. He makes money fine, but what about the mindless switching? People in IIT who are gems and know what they want to do, stick their a$$ to one field like http://www.shivkumar.org/. Those who do not, do this mindless switching. Unfortunately most of these mindless switchers are from AP. That was my argument. HTH. Au Revoir

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu May 24, 2012 4:00 pm

No wonder India is still a developing country.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu May 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Sasthi wrote:No wonder India is still a developing country.

I do not know who you are blaming for "India is still a developing country". The rise of AP student performance coincides with the rise of stellar Indian economic performance and rise of Indian stature on the world stage. One should also remember "Rome is not built in a day". A snide remark cannot substitute for facts.

While I wrote the above in response to a poorly thought remark, I want to make it clear that it takes great many states and great many students excelling to make India a good developed nation to live in. In addition much of this good work is undermined by the incredible greed of corrupt politicians and Indian voters inability to rise above ignorant level.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu May 24, 2012 8:09 pm

AB Zero,

Another incoherent rant. What is this put in blood stuff? Do you mean Genes? If it is in genes, how can the poor guy be responsible for anything? It is physiological.

"Unfortunately most of these mindless switchers are from AP."

Another brilliant deductive conclusion from one example. Do you have any other statistics to back up your monumental formulation?

(S)He was graduate of an IIT, went to IIM and then made a career choice of teaching. This person is at least 20 plus years at this time. Got a graduate degree and made a choice for his/her future life. But some how Ab zero thinks this individual does not know what is good for him/her to make a choice about his/her life.

What is suggestion before another individual makes such a life choice? Call you and seek your advice?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Fri May 25, 2012 8:37 am

truthbetold wrote:Call you and seek your advice?

Given his/her decisions in life I wonder if (s)he even talked to her mom/dad about what she was doing. Yes ask him/her to call me. My advice is phreee

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat May 26, 2012 2:11 pm

The Absolute Zero wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Call you and seek your advice?

Given his/her decisions in life I wonder if (s)he even talked to her mom/dad about what she was doing. Yes ask him/her to call me. My advice is phreee

Your phree advice is worth every cent one pays for it.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down