Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

race and ethnicity redux

2 posters

Go down

race and ethnicity redux Empty race and ethnicity redux

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri May 25, 2012 12:15 pm

here is a controversy surrounding the senate race in my home state:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/05/25/federal_documents_indicate_harvard_repeatedly_reported_elizabeth_warren_as_native_american/?page=2

i can't seem to find the thread where i had raised questions about what to mark as one's race category in a college app. if a faculty member marks whatever she wants, i don't see why a college applicant shouldn't do the same and claim that she had heard through family lore that she is part polynesian. i think by the time my kids are ready to fill out college apps things will probably become much more stringent requiring proof of some sort.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

race and ethnicity redux Empty Re: race and ethnicity redux

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 25, 2012 12:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:here is a controversy surrounding the senate race in my home state:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2012/05/25/federal_documents_indicate_harvard_repeatedly_reported_elizabeth_warren_as_native_american/?page=2

i can't seem to find the thread where i had raised questions about what to mark as one's race category in a college app. if a faculty member marks whatever she wants, i don't see why a college applicant shouldn't do the same and claim that she had heard through family lore that she is part polynesian. i think by the time my kids are ready to fill out college apps things will probably become much more stringent requiring proof of some sort.

Oh believe me. There are 1000s who claim to be native americans and look no different from Swedish blondes - all bcz of a 1/64th blood in them and a tribal certifcate. Tribals would love to issue an id with the flimsiest of evidence so that they can claim a larger number, funds, and aid from the Govt.

I hear they want to create another gender class: Male-female-closeters. I am toying with the idea of claiming to be an American Indian (In Clintonese it is also true).

Also, considering converting to judaism, get a doctor's certificate for depressive D/O and thus disabilty status.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down