Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

filler trivia -- 7th july '12

5 posters

Go down

filler trivia -- 7th july '12 Empty filler trivia -- 7th july '12

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:30 am

this is not an easy set as promised (save the questions composed by me). credit for the first 6 questions goes to blabberwock.

1. He promoted the word 'public relations" as a replacement for the word "propaganda" and is known as the father of public relations. He believed in using Fruedian theories to manipulate the masses and employed it behind several clever advertising campaigns. The most famous one of them all is the "Torches of Freedom" campaign where he had young models puff cigarettes as a gesture of freedom in during the easter parade in 1929, leading to the breaking of taboo against women smoking in public. Name him.

2. She is the founder of one of this special day celebrated in May. She campaigned to have this day nationally recognized and in 1914, her efforts were rewarded. Later, she became soured by the commercialization of the holiday and along with her sister, spent their family inheritance campaigning against this and died in poverty. Who is this and what's the day?

3. This is an honorary and ceremonial position; held by people like Charlton Heston, Monty Hall and Betty White. The office has been vacant since 2008 with the death of Johnny Grant. The office carries responsibilities but entails no salary or official power. Name this office.

4. What does the phrase "taking the nickel" mean? What's the legalese for it?

5. Connect : Taj Mahal, Kumbhakaran and White House.

6. The following mural depicts the first recorded occurrence of this event in 1639 by William Crabtree. It occurred again on june 6 of this year and the next occurrence will be in 2117.

filler trivia -- 7th july '12 Crabtr11

7. This Indian city is popularly known as the City of Palaces or St. Petersburg of the East since the early 19th Century. Name this city.

8. In Odisha you will find the only place in the world where you can go on a safari to look for which rare animal?

9. Which region of the Vindhyan system consists of massive sandstone, slate and limestone areas resting on even older rocks? Hillocks and plateaus here are interspersed with undulating floodplains and deep ravines. The region has been in the limelight for all the wrong reasons. Name the region and the notorious reason it is famous for.

10. Kanchenjunga is the tallest peak in India and the third tallest in the world. In which Indian state is it situated?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

afterword:

i wasn't keen on posting this set. but, as usual, blabberwock was feeling sleepy. plus she had several chores at home to attend to: kids on vacation; house help on leave. i felt a tinge of sympathy for her after listening to her long litany of woes. so yesterday i finally volunteered. i sent her a note requesting her to forward me any questions she had already framed. she sent me some in bits and pieces. i immediately signed into YM and asked for clarifications. she was in a rush. i could empathize. but she made time to clarify the questions and then said -- i have to rush. i said -- what's the hurry? she said, i'm watching wimbledon! i felt crushed (not to mention "used"). late at night i had one final clarification left. i pinged her again in YM (taking care to note that the semifinal was over -- i did not want to disturb the busy madam). the conversation went something like this:

bw: yes?
me: <query>
bw: <clarification>
me: ok, go to sleep, it's late
bw: why are you shooing me away like this?
me: will you please give me a chance to announce to the world that i actually witnessed you feel sleepy???
bw: *yawn* <exit>

apparently the nespresso machine she bought yesterday, along with a milk steamer and coffee pods, has done little to resolve her somnolence. oh well.

Back to top Go down

filler trivia -- 7th july '12 Empty Re: filler trivia -- 7th july '12

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:33 am

1. Edward Bernays
2. The day is probably Mother's Day. No idea who started it.
5. Something to do with white marble?
6. Transit of Venus
7. Mysore?
9. Chambal, known for dacoits and Phoolan Devi
10. Sikkim?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:34 am

3. President of the National Rifle Association?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:12 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:this is not an easy set as promised (save the questions composed by me). credit for the first 6 questions goes to blabberwock.

1. He promoted the word 'public relations" as a replacement for the word "propaganda" and is known as the father of public relations. He believed in using Fruedian theories to manipulate the masses and employed it behind several clever advertising campaigns. The most famous one of them all is the "Torches of Freedom" campaign where he had young models puff cigarettes as a gesture of freedom in during the easter parade in 1929, leading to the breaking of taboo against women smoking in public. Name him.

>>>Phillip Morris?

2. She is the founder of one of this special day celebrated in May. She campaigned to have this day nationally recognized and in 1914, her efforts were rewarded. Later, she became soured by the commercialization of the holiday and along with her sister, spent their family inheritance campaigning against this and died in poverty. Who is this and what's the day?

3. This is an honorary and ceremonial position; held by people like Charlton Heston, Monty Hall and Betty White. The office has been vacant since 2008 with the death of Johnny Grant. The office carries responsibilities but entails no salary or official power. Name this office.

>>>Mayor of Hollywood

>>> Accepting a fee?

6. The following mural depicts the first recorded occurrence of this event in 1639 by William Crabtree. It occurred again on june 6 of this year and the next occurrence will be in 2117.

7. This Indian city is popularly known as the City of Palaces or St. Petersburg of the East since the early 19th Century. Name this city.

>>>jaipur

8. In Odisha you will find the only place in the world where you can go on a safari to look for which rare animal?

>>Bengal tiger?

9. Which region of the Vindhyan system consists of massive sandstone, slate and limestone areas resting on even older rocks? Hillocks and plateaus here are interspersed with undulating floodplains and deep ravines. The region has been in the limelight for all the wrong reasons. Name the region and the notorious reason it is famous for.

10. Kanchenjunga is the tallest peak in India and the third tallest in the world. In which Indian state is it situated?

>>>Sikkim

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:37 am

4. Wild guess: pleading the Fifth, or staying silent when being investigated? Legally, that would be an exercise of the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. It's taking the nickel because that's name for the five-cent coin.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:00 am

2. Memorial Day
4. Taking the fifth, aka keeping mum.
5. India's nuclear test shafts
6. Some planet coming closest it can to the Sun.
7. Udaipur
8. Don't know (I am from Orissa, grew up in the hills and jungles, and still don't know about that rare animal!)
9. Chambal, dacoits
10. UP/Uttaranchal.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:10 am

Kris wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:8. In Odisha you will find the only place in the world where you can go on a safari to look for which rare animal?

>>Bengal tiger?

good guess! but i am looking for a specific type of bengal tiger, viz. of the same species. want to try again? anyone?

il'll respond to the other responses in this thread after PI attempts this set.

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:19 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Kris wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:8. In Odisha you will find the only place in the world where you can go on a safari to look for which rare animal?

>>Bengal tiger?

good guess! but i am looking for a specific type of bengal tiger, viz. of the same species. want to try again? anyone?

White Tiger?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:32 am

b_A wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>Bengal tiger?

White Tiger?

correct! the white tiger has a mutant recessive gene (not albino). estimations show that around one in 15,000 wild bengal tiger births will result in a white tiger. nandankanan zoo in odhisa, spread over 990 acres, has a population of 34 white tigers. white bengal tigers, like ligers, are larger than the tawny bengal tigers. siberian tigers are not truly or totally white.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:this is not an easy set as promised (save the questions composed by me). credit for the first 6 questions goes to blabberwock.

afterword:

i wasn't keen on posting this set. but, as usual, blabberwock was feeling sleepy. plus she had several chores at home to attend to: kids on vacation; house help on leave. i felt a tinge of sympathy for her after listening to her long litany of woes. so yesterday i finally volunteered. i sent her a note requesting her to forward me any questions she had already framed. she sent me some in bits and pieces. i immediately signed into YM and asked for clarifications. she was in a rush. i could empathize. but she made time to clarify the questions and then said -- i have to rush. i said -- what's the hurry? she said, i'm watching wimbledon! i felt crushed (not to mention "used"). late at night i had one final clarification left. i pinged her again in YM (taking care to note that the semifinal was over -- i did not want to disturb the busy madam). the conversation went something like this:

bw: yes?
me: <query>
bw: <clarification>
me: ok, go to sleep, it's late
bw: why are you shooing me away like this?
me: will you please give me a chance to announce to the world that i actually witnessed you feel sleepy???
bw: *yawn* <exit>

apparently the nespresso machine she bought yesterday, along with a milk steamer and coffee pods, has done little to resolve her somnolence. oh well.

hm...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...hmm....hmmmmm.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:15 am

panini press wrote:1. Edward Bernays
2. The day is probably Mother's Day. No idea who started it.
correct. who campaigned to make it a recognized holiday?
5. Something to do with white marble?
no.
6. Transit of Venus
correct.
7. Mysore?
nope.
9. Chambal, known for dacoits and Phoolan Devi
correct. yes phoolan devi operated from dholpur, chambal.
10. Sikkim?
correct.
panini press wrote:3. President of the National Rifle Association?
nope.
panini press wrote:4. Wild guess: pleading the Fifth, or staying silent when being investigated? Legally, that would be an exercise of the Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination. It's taking the nickel because that's name for the five-cent coin.
correct! good guess!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:22 am

Kris wrote:1. He promoted the word 'public relations" as a replacement for the word "propaganda" and is known as the father of public relations. He believed in using Fruedian theories to manipulate the masses and employed it behind several clever advertising campaigns. The most famous one of them all is the "Torches of Freedom" campaign where he had young models puff cigarettes as a gesture of freedom in during the easter parade in 1929, leading to the breaking of taboo against women smoking in public. Name him.

>>>Phillip Morris?
no.
This is an honorary and ceremonial position; held by people like Charlton Heston, Monty Hall and Betty White. The office has been vacant since 2008 with the death of Johnny Grant. The office carries responsibilities but entails no salary or official power. Name this office.

>>>Mayor of Hollywood
correct! good job.

>>> Accepting a fee?
no.

>>>jaipur
no.

>>>Sikkim
correct!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:28 am

indophile wrote:2. Memorial Day
no.
4. Taking the fifth, aka keeping mum.
correct! it means the right against self-incrimnation or refusing to testify lest your words are used against you.
5. India's nuclear test shafts
absolutely correct!
6. Some planet coming closest it can to the Sun.
the transit of venus.
7. Udaipur
8. Don't know (I am from Orissa, grew up in the hills and jungles, and still don't know about that rare animal!)
lol.
9. Chambal, dacoits
correct.
10. UP/Uttaranchal.
nope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 am

3 (rather 2 1/2) questions remained unanswered. here are all the right answers:

Edward Bernays, Freud's nephew, was instrumental in coining the phrase "public relations" for "propaganda." In describing the origin of the term Public Relations, Bernays commented, "When I came back to the United States [from the war], I decided that if you could use propaganda for war, you could certainly use it for peace. And propaganda got to be a bad word because of the Germans ... using it. So what I did was to try to find some other words, so we found the words Counsel on Public Relations"

anna jarvis, mother's day. she had intended "mother's day" to mean a day to show appreciation for mothers by improving sanitary and health conditions in the cities.
mayor of hollywood.
it means the fifth amendment or the right to remain silent. "taking the nickel" means taking the 5 cent coin or the 5th amendment.
pokran II blast sites

the transit of venus.
kolkata! there are many references for this. one cited in wikipedia is: William, Dalrymple (2002). "White Mughals". Penguin Books. p. pp407. kolkata has numerous zamindar bAdIs or palaces with gothic, roman and mughal decorations. famous among them is the marble palace or the mullick bADI (of the zamindars, the mullicks). kolkata was popularized as the "city of palaces" by the raj.
the white royal bengal tiger.
chambal. notorious for dacoits.
sikkim.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:51 am

schedule:

July 11: PI
July 18: PP
July 25: Indo
Aug 2: HK (substituting for BW)
Aug 9: PI
Aug 16: PP
Aug 23: Indo
Aug 30: BW

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:22 am

I need someone to cover my next slot. I am on my way to India, will be back the week after that.

PS: Frankfurt airport has more Indian people than Germans, I think.

PPS: Good questions, these.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:30 am

i will cover you.

new schedule:

July 11: PI
July 18: HK (substituting for PP)
July 25: Indo
Aug 2: HK (substituting for BW)
Aug 9: PI
Aug 16: PP
Aug 23: Indo
Aug 30: BW

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:04 am

panini press wrote:1. Edward Bernays
oops, did not notice this answer. you had answered correctly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down