Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a super star falls rajesh khanna leaves us with great memories

+7
pravalika nanda
artood2
Merlot Daruwala
MaxEntropy_Man
The Absolute Zero
Maria S
truthbetold
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

a super star falls rajesh khanna leaves us with great memories Empty a super star falls rajesh khanna leaves us with great memories

Post by truthbetold Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:37 am

Rajesh khanna gave us some memorable moments including Anand aaradhana amar prem etc. Rajesh khanna kishore kumar combination rivals the raj kapoor mukhesh combination of actor singer. Toghether they gave wonderful haunting soul searching songs.
The songs from andaz "zindagi ek safar hai suhana" and from safar "zindagi ka safar" captures rk and kks memories.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

a super star falls rajesh khanna leaves us with great memories Empty Re: a super star falls rajesh khanna leaves us with great memories

Post by Maria S Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:35 am

TBT,

You have listed some of the movies and songs I like too (I have indeed seen most of them!) ..My fav. Hindi movie actors from that era are- Rajesh and Dharmendra.

For some reason.."Aap Ki Kasam" songs came to mind..he is so handsome! Good memories indeed.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

a super star falls rajesh khanna leaves us with great memories Empty Re: a super star falls rajesh khanna leaves us with great memories

Post by Maria S Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:42 am

Oh, had to watch this song again:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:51 am

Right.. as the song says..

yahan kal kya ho kisne jaana...

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 pm

An interesting fact about rk is that he required strong partnerships for his success. Mumtaz sharmila as heroines burman or laxmikant pyarelal as music directors shakti samanta j om prakash as directors. But he failed in his marriage partnership.
He lost his touch in mid 70s and became a regular bollywood hero.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:56 pm

zzzzz............
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:22 am

Some people remind you the frog and well.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 am

I share Max's disinterest and am sick to death listening to those sad Kishore Kumar songs all day on radio last couple of days.

Ok, so this guy made all those women weak in the knees all those decades ago by just crinkling his eyes and tilting his head. But that was like the 70s. The last 3 decades have seen every movie of his bomb at the box office.

He seemed to fit the stereotype of the deluded, narcisstic superstar, long past his prime but unwilling to accept it, full of himself and incapable of appreciating that the audience had grown up and become more sophisticated. And eventually he drank himself to a lonely death. Ho hum.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Ok, so this guy made all those women weak in the knees all those decades ago by just crinkling his eyes and tilting his head. But that was like the 70s. The last 3 decades have seen every movie of his bomb at the box office.

He seemed to fit the stereotype of the deluded, narcisstic superstar, long past his prime but unwilling to accept it, full of himself and incapable of appreciating that the audience had grown up and become more sophisticated. And eventually he drank himself to a lonely death. Ho hum.

Sri Sri Merloteshwara Daruwalananda,

Well, to me, it's like learning about the passing away of an old aquaintance, friend..someone we associate-memories (esp. good ones). It rekindles..some old feelings..we mourn..and move on, that's about it. I have not thought about him in years..did not even know he was separated from Dimple, got involved in politics (why O'why!)..etc. Since he is an artist..his works will always be around.

I have always said that it is more important to express affection and admiration directly to people- in real life or on line..if they matter to us..rather than wait for them to die and say something nice!

So, hope all is well with you.

take care:)

signed,
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:54 am

he was quite a middling actor. most the indians who have appealed to me purely based on their thespian skills have been quite honestly from bombay cinema -- anupam kher, nasiruddin shah, shabana azmi, and nana patekar. and there are only a handful who can be considered good actors in indian cinema, i.e. real skills and not melodramatic bursting of facial veins, arteries and such, or over the top slapstic comedy. so i've never really figured out the appeal of khanna, bachchan, kamalahasan (who was occasionally good), MGR, and sivaji ganesan (who was also reasonably good on occasion like mudhal mariyadai).
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:55 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I share Max's disinterest and am sick to death listening to those sad Kishore Kumar songs all day on radio last couple of days.

A true superstar would have died on drug overdose and not drunk himself to death.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 pm

artood2 wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:I share Max's disinterest and am sick to death listening to those sad Kishore Kumar songs all day on radio last couple of days.

A true superstar would have died on drug overdose and not drunk himself to death.
to be honest, superstars are able to postpone their crash and rehab because of their financial means. thus they die earlier than those who crash (and reform) earlier. i know your comment was in jest but it is a fact that he was a superstar who died of alcohol addiction and he was not the only one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:17 pm

related -- amy winehouse. ha ha, excuse me, ha ha, winehouse. turned out to be a house too small.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:30 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:zzzzz............

** i know this man, max. i was a teen traveling in an air india flight and they had some songs playing on their screen, in those days we didn't have personal tvs. so it was one big screen and we were all subjected to variuos hideous hindi movies. to be honest i paid no attention to them and only looked forward to the next meal until a bunch of my neighbors, all 20-something british guys started to imitate a man on the screen. it was this guy rajesh khanna, he was singing a song in a drunken stupor falling from this table to the next, from the arms of this woman to the next, while some jezebel shook her hips and tits. so these guys sitting near me got out of their seats and pretended to fall, and their buddies would bang on those little tray tables and they were all having a good time.

** it made an impression on my young mind. this man was embarrassing indians all over the globe. i was glad i didn't know any hindi. of course, i wish him well on his further travels and reincarnations. my heart and thoughts are with his family and the larger indian family.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
artood2 wrote:

to be honest, superstars are able to postpone their crash and rehab because of their financial means. thus they die earlier than those who crash (and reform) earlier. i know your comment was in jest but it is a fact that he was a superstar who died of alcohol addiction and he was not the only one.

i said it in jest and also as a pointer to fan behavior when Michael Jackson died. One may be enamored with Rajesh Khanna, some with Michael Jackson, some with Steve Jobs and someone else with MS Subbulakshmi. While I share Max and MD's disinterest but fan feelings are not always explained rationally.

[In MD's case it has been proved that his only interest is meat (as a neo-non-veg)
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:34 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:zzzzz............

** i know this man, max. i was a teen traveling in an air india flight and they had some songs playing on their screen, in those days we didn't have personal tvs. so it was one big screen and we were all subjected to variuos hideous hindi movies. to be honest i paid no attention to them and only looked forward to the next meal until a bunch of my neighbors, all 20-something british guys started to imitate a man on the screen. it was this guy rajesh khanna, he was singing a song in a drunken stupor falling from this table to the next, from the arms of this woman to the next, while some jezebel shook her hips and tits. so these guys sitting near me got out of their seats and pretended to fall, and their buddies would bang on those little tray tables and they were all having a good time.

** it made an impression on my young mind. this man was embarrassing indians all over the globe. i was glad i didn't know any hindi. of course, i wish him well on his further travels and reincarnations. my heart and thoughts are with his family and the larger indian family.

congratulations on being such a quick learner! Here are some more 20 something (more famous) brits whom you can learn from.

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/which-england-cricketer-urinated-in-the-garden-at-the-civic-reception-at-10-downing-street/2102459

http://www.worldcupblog.org/euro-2008/frank-lampard-gets-booed-john-terry-wees-all-over-the-floor.html
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:36 pm

PN
your story tells as much about your judgement as the guys who are falling around tables. Grow up.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:41 pm

Merlot
Many of rk and kk combination songs are eternally popular songs. Their entertainment value does not diminish a bit if a smug cynic fails to appreciate them.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:49 pm

Max
many things will remain a mystery to an arrogant closed regionally insular mind. No body confuses rajesh khanna with dileep kumar but reasonable minds also agree on the entertainment value of aradhana.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Some people remind you the frog and well.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 pm

truthbetold wrote:Max
many things will remain a mystery to an arrogant closed regionally insular mind.

regionally insular mind? how so? i don't think the reason we'll never agree has to do with regionalistic pride on my part, although it's quite likely that your mind is forever colored by my expressions of fervour for my language even on matters that have no connection with it. that's ok, but coming back to the topic at hand, the reason we'll never agree is because of our very divergent views on what constitutes entertainment and art in movie making.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:38 am

truthbetold wrote:Merlot
Many of rk and kk combination songs are eternally popular songs. Their entertainment value does not diminish a bit if a smug cynic fails to appreciate them.

You like Kishore Kumar's songs? I like them too. But see, 100% credit for those songs go to the singer, composer and music director. Not to somebody lip-synching to those songs and dancing round trees (or weeping with a bottle of black label in his hands).

Sd
Smug Cynic
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:08 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:or weeping with a bottle of black label in his hands.
Pushpa, mujhse ye aansu nahi dekhe jaate, I hate tears. Sad

what was the big deal about rajesh khanna anyways? he wasn't dashing dashing; just an average joe and then he was stereotypical in his roles. some really dumb women swooning over him and kissing his car.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:39 am

Maria S wrote:Well, to me, it's like learning about the passing away of an old aquaintance, friend..someone we associate-memories (esp. good ones). It rekindles..some old feelings..
I understand. I think similar feelings were rekindled in TBT.

Maria S wrote:I have always said that it is more important to express affection and admiration directly to people- in real life or on line..if they matter to us..rather than wait for them to die and say something nice!
With people around us, yes. But with a narcisstic, fading, cranky actor living with his delusions of greatness, this is not easy. I'm surprised that all the celebrities interviewed after his passing away had only the nicest things to say about him. If he was really as nice as they now make him out to be, what stopped them from visiting him when he was in and out of hospitals these last few months??

Maria S wrote:So, hope all is well with you.
Indeed Maria. The devil protects his own.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:54 am

Excerpts from Shobhaa De's article yesterday:

...He was also a megalomaniac. It was his absolute refusal to face reality once the decline in his career set in that led to his eventual isolation from the film industry. An isolation so profound, that the few well-wishers still hanging around, watched helplessly as the lonely, depressed, bitter man continued to cling on to his delusions, trashing contemporaries and silencing anybody who dared to correct him. His decline was self-inflicted.

His alienation, of his own doing. Always a complex creature, battling deep feelings of persecution, Rajesh Khanna cut a pathetic figure later in life when he deigned to show up at Awards' functions. Unable to cope with failure and oblivion once his glory days were behind him, Rajesh chose the bottle. Such a huge pity, given the wonderful ladies in his life, who continued to care for him long after he had pushed them away.
There was however, another lady love (she shall go nameless), who understood the essential Jatin (Rajesh Khanna's real name) when she shared his life and home. She was a stunning, sexy actress at the time. And much younger too. In her company, Rajesh Khanna apparently discovered long suppressed aspects of himself and she claimed she freed him from the countless hang-ups he'd harboured as a diffident young man.During a conversation, she spoke candidly about introducing this insecure, uptight, self-conscious superstar to the abundant pleasures of skinny dipping and enjoying the sun on their naked bodies on a foreign beach. "I liberated Kaka from all his inhibitions," she laughed fondly at the memory.

Were they truly in love? She smiled and shook her head, "Kaka was incapable of loving anyone. He was only ever in love with himself!"
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:01 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:...Kaka was incapable of loving anyone. He was only ever in love with himself!"

>>>>You think he was perhaps traumatized by that nickname? Just sayin' Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:There was however, another lady love (she shall go nameless),
who was this woman????

edit. anju mahendru. wow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:There was however, another lady love (she shall go nameless),
who was this woman????

I don't think so. Anju Mahendru is already named in that article.

I'm guessing Tina Munim.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 am

The big man himself said:

Tina Munim was a big fan of mine since her child hood and was very excited when she learned about she being part of films starring me in lead role.We worked in 11 films and of them we were romantically paired in 7 films.As a pair we had 6 box office success of the 7.After I separated from Dimple in 1984, Tina became my support system and we became close friends.She fell in love with me. By 1986,Tina insisted on marriage but I always knew Dimple and I will get together soon as it was misunderstanding only and never wanted to make my children feel that their parents don't love each other.The moment I rejected Tina's proposal, she decided to discontinue her acting career. By 1989, Dimple and me became closer and friendly. Thereafter I was busy with politics and Dimple with her acting career. After our children got married, Dimple and I started to stay in the same house.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:58 am

Shocked there is more to tina munim than meets the eye.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:29 am

Smug cynic
Kishore kumar himself credited rajesh khanna for his career revival. "Roop tera mastana" was credited to be the game changer song for.kk and rk. But facts do not matter. For your superior smugness what you think trumps everybody else's opinon and facts.
Rk's later year follies do not take anything away from his brilliant performances in anand amar prem dushman aradhana etc.
In your self appointed role of judging every living being and now dead.ones
You may have negative assessment of rk. But as a simple consumer of entertainment i had a great time watching "kahi hi door jab" (anand) or "wada tera wada"(dushman). I state the same here despite your smugness's displeasure.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:56 am

truthbetold wrote:Smug cynic
Kishore kumar himself credited rajesh khanna for his career revival. "Roop tera mastana" was credited to be the game changer song for.kk and rk. But facts do not matter. For your superior smugness what you think trumps everybody else's opinon and facts.
Rk's later year follies do not take anything away from his brilliant performances in anand amar prem dushman aradhana etc.
In your self appointed role of judging every living being and now dead.ones
You may have negative assessment of rk. But as a simple consumer of entertainment i had a great time watching "kahi hi door jab" (anand) or "wada tera wada"(dushman). I state the same here despite your smugness's displeasure.

Dear star-struck fan,

My deepest apologies for hurting you. I didn't realize that you were one of the legions who used to send love letters to Kaka, written in blood. Or that his passing away had rekindled all those old feelings for that man. I'm truly sorry for my insensitivity. Now please stop crying. You know he never liked tears.

Sd/
SC
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:24 am

Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:43 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Excerpts from Shobhaa De's article yesterday:

From that first time he tilted his head, crinkled those eyes, and
smiled, nothing more was required...India collectively turned to mush.

some of india also collectively yawned.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:48 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: Sad

"deewana-dil-zindagi-deewana, i haatTe tTeaaars" -- khanna.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:33 am

The one thing about Rajesh Khanna was, I am realizing now, is most of his famous work and hence video/pics are from his young age, when he looked so vibrant and handsome. We did see some of his pics/movies from older age, but that wasn't enough to cast a deep shadow in mind. And, even though 69 is fairly young to die in these times, it felt as if he died even younger and too soon.

I used to like him when i was a kid, but thru my 20s i stopped thinking of him as handsome. This was revived only recently when i saw (and posted) some of his songs, when I took a look at him again, and could see why he was so damn popular among women back then. Recently, I was watching many songs of him. And just when this realization came, heard of his death. I don't watch much desi news, so I didn't know he was being hospitalized. So personally, it was a shock for me, came with a sense of loss that maybe I didn't see him enough.

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:45 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:The one thing about Rajesh Khanna was, I am realizing now, is most of his famous work and hence video/pics are from his young age, when he looked so vibrant and handsome. We did see some of his pics/movies from older age, but that wasn't enough to cast a deep shadow in mind. And, even though 69 is fairly young to die in these times, it felt as if he died even younger and too soon.

I used to like him when i was a kid, but thru my 20s i stopped thinking of him as handsome. This was revived only recently when i saw (and posted) some of his songs, when I took a look at him again, and could see why he was so damn popular among women back then. Recently, I was watching many songs of him. And just when this realization came, heard of his death. I don't watch much desi news, so I didn't know he was being hospitalized. So personally, it was a shock for me, came with a sense of loss that maybe I didn't see him enough.

yeah.. he did have good teeth What a Face

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:The one thing about Rajesh Khanna was, I am realizing now, is most of his famous work and hence video/pics are from his young age, when he looked so vibrant and handsome. We did see some of his pics/movies from older age, but that wasn't enough to cast a deep shadow in mind. And, even though 69 is fairly young to die in these times, it felt as if he died even younger and too soon.

so sorry na, that it was such a great shock and personal loss to you. was he more than a screen hero to you?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am

i just found out his daughters' names are twinkle and rinkle. haha. would have been funnier if the second one was named wrinkle. i know he had married dimple kapadia, but didn't know his daughters' names. dimple, twinkle, and wrinkle. haha. there's a limerick hidden somewhere there, but i neither have the time nor the inclination to compose one right now.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:12 am

thot it was rinkie, not rinkle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:19 am

garam_kuta wrote:

yeah.. he did have good teeth What a Face

Rolling Eyes

actually, recently I did focus on his mouth/jaw region a lot, his smile. (also reminds me of someone, the expressions). Is that what u looked at too?

Anyway, this song always was and will always be HOT. All you naysayers be damned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i just found out his daughters' names are twinkle and rinkle. haha. would have been funnier if the second one was named wrinkle. i know he had married dimple kapadia, but didn't know his daughters' names. dimple, twinkle, and wrinkle. haha. there's a limerick hidden somewhere there, but i neither have the time nor the inclination to compose one right now.
say it right na: uncal's dimpal, twinkal, and rinkal

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:29 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:thot it was rinkie, not rinkle.

i was reading it quickly and thought it was rinkle and was having so much fun with it. you had to spoil the fun didn't you?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote: Sad

[youtube]
"deewana-dil-zindagi-deewana, i haatTe tTeaaars" -- khanna.

bahut charbi ho gayelba taar gand me. bahut din se dekhrahal bani bakar bakar karaa tara. fir mu khollaa madarjat tah austin aa ke maar tamancha tahare ke tapka de hum. bujhlaaa?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:33 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
bahut charbi ho gayelba taar gand me. bahut din se dekhrahal bani bakar bakar karaa tara. fir mu khollaa madarjat tah austin aa ke maar tamancha tahare ke tapka de hum. bujhlaaa?

khadi bolian? nepalian?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:35 am

eastern UP, methinks.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:36 am

Natalia Romanova wrote:eastern UP, methinks.

bhojpuri
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:38 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
who was this woman????

I'm guessing Tina Munim.

Tina Ambani.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:40 am

artood2 wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
who was this woman????

I'm guessing Tina Munim.

Tina Ambani.

yeah that was pretty obvious. why is anyone confused? I remember reading Rajesh Khanna's interview during those times when he claimed that Tina and him shared a tooth brush.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:40 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

khadi bolian? nepalian?
not khadi boli at all. bhojpuri/awadhi/magahi/bengali etcetra (perhaps nepali too) do not have a khadi boli register in the colloquial form. there is no "aap": only "tum," "tohra," "tu," "tui," "tomar." likewise no "uska" and "unka" (as in khadi boli -- court's language) but just "ukra/okra" or "odher." notice how "bujhlaa?" above is not far from the bengali "bujhlee?" which means "do you understand?" i doubt he ever will.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next