Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Double Majors Can Ruin Your Life: Two Arguments for Doing Less

2 posters

Go down

How Double Majors Can Ruin Your Life: Two Arguments for Doing Less Empty How Double Majors Can Ruin Your Life: Two Arguments for Doing Less

Post by MulaiAzhagi Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 pm

http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/09/27/how-double-majors-can-ruin-your-life-two-arguments-for-doing-less/

MulaiAzhagi

Back to top Go down

How Double Majors Can Ruin Your Life: Two Arguments for Doing Less Empty Re: How Double Majors Can Ruin Your Life: Two Arguments for Doing Less

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:02 am

MulaiAzhagi wrote:http://calnewport.com/blog/2010/09/27/how-double-majors-can-ruin-your-life-two-arguments-for-doing-less/

This is one of the most idiotic articles I have come across on education and this guy is a typical fyuckhead.

it depends on the definition of success; the ambition and goals of the student; and the most important "reality correlation" between a student's ability and aptitude and his goals/ambition.

Where people go wrong is in the LAST factor. If a student is average, he should start slow, and if the averageness continues, he should take the minimum credits, get a decent GPA, good job - and re-evaluate after a few years of exp and maturity.

If above average, get a good degree with a minor or two, decent GPA and involve in other interesting x-tra curricular activities.

If truly brilliant, then restricting to the minimium will make him/her disinterested and his brilliance will go astray. This group should go full steam and do the maximum they could do to the level of interest they have - a sort of no holds barred. I am not talking about THE 7 to 11 JEE TYPES - but, the truly multi-faceted students with multiple interests.

The key is to honestly and truly assess the students ability and to advise the student on how best to achieve his goals. My kids are all brilliant or "anything is possible" ideas will ruin some potentially great students.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down