Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

india=hindu=brahmin

5 posters

Go down

india=hindu=brahmin Empty india=hindu=brahmin

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:12 am

A learned friend of mine proposed a thesis that most prominent symbols of india and indianess are hindu and brahmin. His examples were namaskar bindu vedas sari sanskrit.
my counter exaples were buddism ahimsa(jain) moguls tajmahal himalayas ganga.
his counter
buddism - even though born and bred in india other places such as tibet represent it more.
ahimsa - vegeterianism is a more widely known indian concept and ided with brahmin.
himalayas and ganga - more known for rishis and vedic culture.
what are the secular symbols of india?
Pagadi or the headband
air india maharaj
??????

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

india=hindu=brahmin Empty Re: india=hindu=brahmin

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:39 pm

India = saree = Bhindi = IT = call center (not true anymore...but still) = yoga = himalayas = Gandhi ji = temple towers = bodies in the Ganges = Budha

secular symbols == Nehru jacket = Taj Mahal = Army (till muslims get a quota in it).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:48 pm

They do not necessarily represent hindus or brahmins. They have been a part of the indian culture for centuries.

Anyway, a few more: curries, spices, arranged marriages, bollywood movies, elephants, cricket, snake charmers (maybe not any more), bengal tigers, kamasutra.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:03 pm

It call centers snake charmers several good examples.
snake charmer is still a powerful image.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:05 am

poorly written online consulate forms designed by indian IT professionals are the most secular symbols.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:49 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:poorly written online consulate forms designed by indian IT professionals are the most secular symbols.
Haha. The latest innovation in Indian consulate technology: they have outsourced all passport processing to a private company. I need more pages in my passport, and it is not pleasant dealing with that outfit.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:55 am

Interestingly, the official symbols of the republic are:

1. the national emblem, which combines the Ashokan lion capital (which isn't necessarily religious, and the closest it is is to Buddhism) and an upanishadic statement (which is definitely Hindu).

2. the national flag, with two of its colors originally representing Hinduism and Islam, although the saffron color actually represents asceticism and is common in Buddhism as well; the chakra in the middle is again Ashokan and either non-religious or Buddhist
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:42 am

panini press wrote:Interestingly, the official symbols of the republic are:

1. the national emblem, which combines the Ashokan lion capital (which isn't necessarily religious, and the closest it is is to Buddhism) and an upanishadic statement (which is definitely Hindu).

2. the national flag, with two of its colors originally representing Hinduism and Islam, although the saffron color actually represents asceticism and is common in Buddhism as well; the chakra in the middle is again Ashokan and either non-religious or Buddhist

Green represents Mother earth and importance of environment to us all.

(That is the meaning I am sticking to...)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:52 am

The person i was talking to was an american of euro origin. Lot of interest in india. Visited the couñtry. His argument may be reflective of first impression.

Indian consulate outsourced lot of its processing 3 ot 4 years ago. They were effective but not customer friendly.

Couple more symbols
dhoti vesti voni(half saree)

Asoka chakra was well known inside india. Is it popular outside india?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 am

panini press wrote:Interestingly, the official symbols of the republic are:

just curious - was ashokan's transformation happened overnight due to the melancholy that he internalized of the kalinga war or was it a slow inevitable conversion and acceptance of political expediency of the overwhelming buddhism popularity among people? is there any reference that one can look up ?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:54 am

garam_kuta wrote:just curious - was ashokan's transformation happened overnight due to the melancholy that he internalized of the kalinga war or was it a slow inevitable conversion and acceptance of political expediency of the overwhelming buddhism popularity among people? is there any reference that one can look up ?
good question. maybe there are some answers in the book PP just read.

i have always felt that the kalinga war-and-remorse story is exaggerated. ashoka killed hundreds of his brothers and threw them in a well, probably killed his father too (whom he deeply adored once but was betrayed by), killed hundreds of ministers whom he suspected -- ashoka felt no remorse then? the fact is that he was no stranger to blood and gore; he was a hardcore killing machine. what's more important is that he was healed by a buddhist nun when wounded once; somewhere in MP i think, and it was there that he was exposed to buddhism. this was before his ascension. i think he made that nun or nurse one of his wives later. he was influenced by her i feel. then, like his grand father, he knew that there existed a tradition of retreating to monk-hood in one's latter years. he did what he thought was traditionally the morally correct thing to do (after having been successful). he lived in accordance with a moral design (set by his grand father). there was no overnight or slow transformation. everything was premeditated. this is all IMO.

eta. chandragupta gave up his throne, converted to jainism and retreated to the south when he was only 42!

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:06 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
garam_kuta wrote:just curious - was ashokan's transformation happened overnight due to the melancholy that he internalized of the kalinga war or was it a slow inevitable conversion and acceptance of political expediency of the overwhelming buddhism popularity among people? is there any reference that one can look up ?

i have always felt that the kalinga war-and-remorse story is exaggerated. ashoka killed hundreds of his brothers and threw them in a well, probably killed his father too (whom he deeply adored once but was betrayed by), killed hundreds of ministers whom he suspected -- ashoka felt no remorse then? the fact is that he was no stranger to blood and gore; he was a hardcore killing machine. what's more important is that he was healed by a buddhist nun when wounded once; somewhere in MP i think, and it was there that he was exposed to buddhism. this was before his ascension. i think he made that nun or nurse one of his wives later. he was influenced by her i feel. then, like his grand father, he knew that there existed a tradition of retreating to monk-hood in one's latter years. he did what he thought was traditionally the morally correct thing to do (after having been successful). he lived in accordance with a moral design (set by his grand father). there was no overnight or slow transformation. everything was premeditated. this is all IMO.
You are right. Per Allen's book, Ashoka was exposed to Buddhism by his first wife, who bore him the children Mahendra and Sanghamitra who went on to become Buddhist missionaries to Lanka. This was when he was governor of Avanti based in Ujjayini, a few years before he moved against his elder half-brother. Later he himself converted, becoming a lay Buddhist in the (2nd or) 3rd year after his coronation (i.e. a few years after killing all his brothers except one). The Kalinga war was fought 5-6 years later.

The legend of the king's transformation because of the ghastliness of that war has its origins in Ashoka's edicts. I think he deliberately wanted to show his subjects that he was taking a turn because of that war. Edicts about the Kalinga war and its effects on him appear all over India except in Kalinga itself (where it would be insensitive to rub salt into the people's wounds by etching the story of their defeat in stone).

PS: The book says that Ashoka caused Bindusara's death by appearing in front of the frail old man and demanding that he be designated regent while his elder half brother, the declared heir apparent, was in Takshashila. According to the story, the old man was so taken aback by Ashoka's outrageous request that he died on the spot. Of course, this may be the Buddhist chronicles refraining from writing about their hero's killing of his own father, but in matters like these one can never hope to know what actually went down.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:14 am

Here is what Rock Edict 13 (which has been inscribed at many sites outside Kalinga) says:

Beloved-of-the-Gods King Priyadarshin conquered the Kalingas eight years after his coronation. One hundred and fifty thousand were deported, one hundred thousand were killed and many more died (from other causes). After the Kalingas had been conquered, Beloved-of-the-Gods came to feel a strong inclination towards the Dharma, a love for the Dharma and for instruction in Dharma. Now Beloved-of-the-Gods feels deep remorse for having conquered the Kalingas.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 pm

panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

You are right. Per Allen's book, Ashoka was exposed to Buddhism by his first wife, who bore him the children Mahendra and Sanghamitra who went on to become Buddhist missionaries to Lanka. This was when he was governor of Avanti based in Ujjayini, a few years before he moved against his elder half-brother. Later he himself converted, becoming a lay Buddhist in the (2nd or) 3rd year after his coronation (i.e. a few years after killing all his brothers except one). The Kalinga war was fought 5-6 years later.

The legend of the king's transformation because of the ghastliness of that war has its origins in Ashoka's edicts. I think he deliberately wanted to show his subjects that he was taking a turn because of that war. Edicts about the Kalinga war and its effects on him appear all over India except in Kalinga itself (where it would be insensitive to rub salt into the people's wounds by etching the story of their defeat in stone).

PS: The book says that Ashoka caused Bindusara's death by appearing in front of the frail old man and demanding that he be designated regent while his elder half brother, the declared heir apparent, was in Takshashila. According to the story, the old man was so taken aback by Ashoka's outrageous request that he died on the spot. Of course, this may be the Buddhist chronicles refraining from writing about their hero's killing of his own father, but in matters like these one can never hope to know what actually went down.

On my recent trip to India, I've been to Udaygiri, Konark and Puri. The guides at both Udaygiri and Konark were all praises for the Kalinga kings and the period before that where women were the rulers and also warriors in wars (hard to believe).
Anyway, the guide at Konark expressed his disgust at the perceived Asoka's greatness and the myth about his remorse. He says that Ashoka took about 1-2 lakh (i forgot the number he gave) ppl as prisoners of war to his kingdom and made them slaves. He argues how anyone who has any remorse could take someone as prisoners of war? If what he claims is true, then someone terribly messed up with history and fed us wrong info. Does it have a north indian bias to it Wink?

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:47 pm

kinnera wrote:
panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

On my recent trip to India, I've been to Udaygiri, Konark and Puri. The guides at both Udaygiri and Konark were all praises for the Kalinga kings and the period before that where women were the rulers and also warriors in wars (hard to believe).
Anyway, the guide at Konark expressed his disgust at the perceived Asoka's greatness and the myth about his remorse. He says that Ashoka took about 1-2 lakh (i forgot the number he gave) ppl as prisoners of war to his kingdom and made them slaves. He argues how anyone who has any remorse could take someone as prisoners of war? If what he claims is true, then someone terribly messed up with history and fed us wrong info. Does it have a north indian bias to it Wink?
Ashoka's edict states that 1.5 lakh people were carried away / deported because of the war. That likely means "carried away into slavery." So your guide has a point.

Ashoka's memory in India today has to contend with the long-time fight between Hinduism and Buddhism (in which Ashoka was on the losing side). This is the reason why he was completely gone from the general imagination, although he was the first ruler to unite India and he was the ruler with the largest Indian empire ever. Akbar and Aurangzeb ruled empires smaller than his, but until European Orientalists got on the scene and connected the dots, nobody knew about Ashoka and his deeds. At the entrance to Konark, you probably saw a few figures of a lion on top of an elephant that is crushing a human figure (see below). Those figures represent the victory of Hinduism (symbolized by the lion) over Buddhism (the elephant); the suggestion is that Buddhism was crushing humanity. Konark was built in the 13th century CE, around the time the last major Buddhist communities in India were in terminal decline.

india=hindu=brahmin Konarklion
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:14 pm

Buddism degenerated into lazy non productive aramas by the time of sankaracharya. He was able to present hindu caste system as superior societal work division system. His system proved much more practicle and revivedindian economy. Egalitarian buddism lost
and kula dharma of hinduism won.
That victory still haunts modern india.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52 am

kinnera wrote:He argues how anyone who has any remorse could take someone as prisoners of war? If what he claims is true, then someone terribly messed up with history and fed us wrong info. Does it have a north indian bias to it Wink?
lol. you are forgetting that one of his wives was oriya. as the story goes, when all the oriya men were felled by ashoka, this woman led other women to fight ashoka in the battlefield. ashoka was mesmerized by her beauty and made her his wife. after marriage, she converted to buddhism. this story is immortalized in the bollywood movie "ashoka."

and PP is right. there is an underlying buddhism vs hinduism aspect to every narration of ashoka and the buddhist kings' story. after the mauryas, a hindu brahmin king came into power for a brief period. one story goes that he was viindictive and destroyed many stupas and abolished buddhism as the state religion. another story (romila thapar) denies this. who knows who is right. but it is a fact that during his reign, the indo-greeks, related to the mauryas through matrimony, invaded patliputra, humiliated this king, and retreated because they had no interest in ruling over this territory.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:36 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
kinnera wrote:He argues how anyone who has any remorse could take someone as prisoners of war? If what he claims is true, then someone terribly messed up with history and fed us wrong info. Does it have a north indian bias to it Wink?
lol. you are forgetting that one of his wives was oriya. as the story goes, when all the oriya men were felled by ashoka, this woman led other women to fight ashoka in the battlefield. ashoka was mesmerized by her beauty and made her his wife. after marriage, she converted to buddhism. this story is immortalized in the bollywood movie "ashoka."

and PP is right. there is an underlying buddhism vs hinduism aspect to every narration of ashoka and the buddhist kings' story. after the mauryas, a hindu brahmin king came into power for a brief period. one story goes that he was viindictive and destroyed many stupas and abolished buddhism as the state religion. another story (romila thapar) denies this. who knows who is right. but it is a fact that during his reign, the indo-greeks, related to the mauryas through matrimony, invaded patliputra, humiliated this king, and retreated because they had no interest in ruling over this territory.
Pushyamitra Shunga was that brahmin king. He actually established the Shunga dynasty that lasted about 100 years. The story goes that Pushyamitra destroyed many Buddhist monuments -- including parts of the great stupa at Sanchi. He is said to have destroyed the great monastery outside Pataliputra and killed all the monks. The story also goes that his descendants actually softened their stance towards Buddhism, and started patronizing that religion as well as Hinduism.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 am

yes, you are absolutely correct!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:25 pm

panini press wrote: At the entrance to Konark, you probably saw a few figures of a lion on top of an elephant that is crushing a human figure (see below). Those figures represent the victory of Hinduism (symbolized by the lion) over Buddhism (the elephant); the suggestion is that Buddhism was crushing humanity. Konark was built in the 13th century CE, around the time the last major Buddhist communities in India were in terminal decline.

india=hindu=brahmin Konarklion

I remember this one. The guide didn't give a hinduism/buddhism angle to it. He said something abt the lion representing power and elephant, the wealth, both of which cause the ego to boost up which leads to his destruction (the crushed man represents the ego). The image at the entrance reminds us to crush our ego and enter the temple with a humble spirit. He said something in those lines.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down