Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Romney campaign needs management consultant advice

2 posters

Go down

Romney campaign needs management consultant advice Empty Romney campaign needs management consultant advice

Post by Idéfix Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:44 pm

I often joke about management consultants' ability to manage, and Willard is showing himself up to be an excellent example. (My jokes are based on the basic aspect of human nature that it is much easier to give excellent advice, than it is to act excellently.) In the paradigm of chasing profits for himself and his partners regardless of the impact on others, he was an excellent manager and did a great job for Bain Capital. But in the rather different paradigm of a political campaign, he seems to be going through some awkward stumbles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2012/09/17/how-bain-would-fix-mitt-romneys-campaign/

But Romney appears to have a cobbler’s shoe problem — he is a management consultant who is having trouble managing. If that is not clear from those polls, a Politico report provides plenty of fodder for the argument that Romney is not managing his campaign well.

But when it comes to implementing strategy, here is a guess on the very basic things that Bain might advise Romney to do:
  • Divide up key functions in the campaign
  • Put one person in charge of each of those responsibilities
  • Set specific goals for each of those functional leaders
  • Reward the leaders who meet their goals

Romney is way too smart not to know that he should be doing these things — so there must be a deeper reason for his flailing. Ultimately it may not be so much that Romney does not know how to manage his campaign well but that he does not really want to win. Either that, or he has a huge political blind spot. His father lost his shot at the presidency by saying that he had been brainwashed by generals about Vietnam.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Romney campaign needs management consultant advice Empty Re: Romney campaign needs management consultant advice

Post by Maria S Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 am

Romney is way too smart not to know that he should be doing these things — so there must be a deeper reason for his flailing. Ultimately it may not be so much that Romney does not know how to manage his campaign well but that he does not really want to win. Either that, or he has a huge political blind spot.

________

Mr. Romney is who he is..To me this seems like a he has a big old "Human Blind Spot"..Not a thing- political/business consultants can do to fix it.

I don't what kind of CEO he was..or a Mormon Missionary he was for that matter. I would think Business 101 says- "value every customer, everyone can be a customer and help to build your business and don't write them off" and Faith 101 says "don't dehumanize anyone- don't write them off, and try your best to help the helpless and struggling as much as you can".

Well, Politics 101 in the USA may say "Money trumps everything"..but, he is like no other politician I have ever seen..anywhere!

Speaking of politics..this seems like an irony! I suppose life comes full circle..somewhere Pres. Carter has a big smile on his face this morning:) !

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/09/18/report-jimmy-carters-grandson-helped-leak-romney-fundraiser-video/?wprss=rss_campaigns
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down