Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best places to live in US

+7
Obnoxious
truthbetold
Idéfix
Propagandhi711
fido_dido_2k
Impedimenta
CroMagnon
11 posters

Go down

Best places to live in US Empty Best places to live in US

Post by CroMagnon Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 pm

What are some of the best cities (and neighborhoods within these cities) to live in US based on the following criteria:

1. Decent cost of living
2. Socially liberal and educated population with modern cosmopolitan outlook
3. Good infrastructure -walking/biking paths, parks etc.
4. Good traffic -traveling the distance is not a problem, but the traffic should not be terrible
5. Scenic - getting a house with a view is high on my list. Ideally, there should be decent vacation spots within a few hours drive
6. New construction - I would like to be the first owner of the house, so looking for suburban areas with a lot of new developments

Based on the above criteria, I had initially decided Orange County (Irvine and surrounding areas) in So Cal, but it is too expensive and a dollar doesn't go too far there. Even though I love the place, I don't think I'll be able to afford the kind of house I want.

I finally shortlisted Denver/Boulder region and am currently here for 4 weeks to evaluate if this is the place for me - While everything looked ideal on my first short visit here, I'm here mostly to see if my skin can tolerate the dryness. I've never used humidifiers, so not sure how practical they are.

I understand a lot of these factors are subjective. I'm not looking for concrete answers, just some suggestions and pointers.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Best places to live in US Empty Re: Best places to live in US

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:04 pm

long time no see...

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm not familiar with this Id, but let me guess - seven?

Yeah it has been a long time. I think this is my first visit in more than 6 months and my first post in nearly a year.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 pm

CroMagnon wrote:I'm not familiar with this Id, but let me guess - seven?

Yeah it has been a long time. I think this is my first visit in more than 6 months and my first post in nearly a year.

oh, lol. i forgot i have a new id now. this is tw.

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:

Tracy Whitney - Natalia Romanova; how could I have missed the connection? Maybe the short post threw me off :-)
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:20 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
Natalia Romanova wrote:

Tracy Whitney - Natalia Romanova; how could I have missed the connection? Maybe the short post threw me off :-)

u actually mean i talk even more than seven? Mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm

cro, what is wrong with NJ? fine. you do not have to answer. North carolina is an option.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Natalia Romanova wrote:
u actually mean i talk even more than seven? Mad

Talking more isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as one talks sensible things :-)
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 pm

Impedimenta wrote:cro, what is wrong with NJ? fine. you do not have to answer. North carolina is an option.

Well, I have said it in the past - traffic, infrastructure, cost of living, rude people and lack of cleanliness. It has a thriving jobs market, but if you don't find anything within 10 miles of your home, you gotta travel 1 hour one-way to work.

You need to be a little more specific than NC - like city/neighborhoods. Isn't NC mostly rural and socially conservative?
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by fido_dido_2k Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:35 pm

Good weather is not on your list so I assume you are ok with brutal winters in Denver.

Raleigh, NC is a place that fits most of your criteria. The locals here are way too conservative.. everything here is closed on sunday mornings.

fido_dido_2k

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:30 pm

Impedimenta wrote:what is wrong with NJ? fine.

nothing if you dont mind living in the asshole of america.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm

CroMagnon wrote:What are some of the best cities (and neighborhoods within these cities) to live in US based on the following criteria:

1. Decent cost of living - worry about this when you retire
2. Socially liberal and educated population with modern cosmopolitan outlook- you will find all types of people everywhere. socially liberal population does not live separately in different towns. Find people with similar mindset and befirend them. Good Luck!
3. Good infrastructure -walking/biking paths, parks etc. Tons of places with this feature. But if this is 3rd on the deciding factors then live in Portland, OR ( i would say san diego or denver but you already considered them and rejected for different reasons).
4. Good traffic -traveling the distance is not a problem, but the traffic should not be terrible - consider commuting during odd hours, avoid carpool time etc. Places with good jobs, weather, bike routes etc are preferred by many and therefore traffic is unlikely to be smooth, esp during peak hours/
5. Scenic - getting a house with a view is high on my list. Ideally, there should be decent vacation spots within a few hours drive - depends on what kinda view? golf course? city skyline view? sea facing? if not North carolina then consider atlanta. i hear its better than NC as in less boring.
6. New construction - I would like to be the first owner of the house, so looking for suburban areas with a lot of new developments - no comments

Based on the above criteria, I had initially decided Orange County (Irvine and surrounding areas) in So Cal, but it is too expensive and a dollar doesn't go too far there. Even though I love the place, I don't think I'll be able to afford the kind of house I want. -have you considered Miami? less expenssive version of LA/San Diego

I finally shortlisted Denver/Boulder region and am currently here for 4 weeks to evaluate if this is the place for me - While everything looked ideal on my first short visit here, I'm here mostly to see if my skin can tolerate the dryness. I've never used humidifiers, so not sure how practical they are. - Seriously? well its not almost exactly like saying, i'll not buy this house bcz i dont like the color on the walls or bcz i hate the light fixtures. the dryness can be fixed, methinks.

I understand a lot of these factors are subjective. I'm not looking for concrete answers, just some suggestions and pointers.

So yea! longtime no see. busy house hunting err i mean city hunting? now that you have the names of the cities shortlisted, you can deep dive to find what areas/neighborhoods are your type.

Good Luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:33 pm

CroMagnon wrote:What are some of the best cities (and neighborhoods within these cities) to live in US based on the following criteria:

1. Decent cost of living
4. Good traffic -traveling the distance is not a problem, but the traffic should not be terrible
5. Scenic - getting a house with a view is high on my list. Ideally, there should be decent vacation spots within a few hours drive
6. New construction - I would like to be the first owner of the house, so looking for suburban areas with a lot of new developments

Based on the above criteria, I had initially decided Orange County (Irvine and surrounding areas) in So Cal, but it is too expensive and a dollar doesn't go too far there. Even though I love the place, I don't think I'll be able to afford the kind of house I want.

I finally shortlisted Denver/Boulder region and am currently here for 4 weeks to evaluate if this is the place for me - While everything looked ideal on my first short visit here, I'm here mostly to see if my skin can tolerate the dryness. I've never used humidifiers, so not sure how practical they are.

Welcome back, CM. Your good traffic and decent cost of living requirements eliminate most large bicoastal metro areas. So you have to find a smaller city, perhaps a university town of not insignificant size, where you will find all that you seek. I hear good things about places like Austin, Madison, etc. Seattle may also be interesting for you, although I don't know how high home prices there are.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:53 pm

From your post you give the impression that you can find a job in a city of your choice. That is a good position to be in. Since you listed denver as a possibility, let me suggest any one of the following suburbs of minneapolis, woodlands on east, eden prairie , minnetonka and many other nearby communities. They were listed as the best place or among the best places in usa. Excellent schools, well known state university, terrific lake views, robust technical job opportunities, and decent size indian community. Like denver but better.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 pm

truthbetold wrote:From your post you give the impression that you can find a job in a city of your choice. That is a good position to be in. Since you listed denver as a possibility, let me suggest any one of the following suburbs of minneapolis, woodlands on east, eden prairie , minnetonka and many other nearby communities. They were listed as the best place or among the best places in usa. Excellent schools, well known state university, terrific lake views, robust technical job opportunities, and decent size indian community. Like denver but better.

One is in north pole the other in stratosphere.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Silk Smitha wrote:

You have no idea how many outdoor activities they have there in summer, do you?

PS: Do you do any outdoor activity?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:17 pm

1. Decent cost of living

>>>>Why don't you look at in the Sacto - Folsom Corridor? There is a mini silicon valley around Folsom. You are within 90 minutes of Lake tahoe. UC Davis is not far off. Housing prices are not exorbitant. Heat is probably your only downside.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:20 am

[quote="Hellsangel"]
Silk Smitha wrote:

PS: Do you do any outdoor activity?[/quote
mminnepolis is progressive but not crazy unlike a particular bay area.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:18 am

[quote="truthbetold"]
Hellsangel wrote:
Silk Smitha wrote:

PS: Do you do any outdoor activity?[/quote
mminnepolis is progressive but not crazy unlike a particular bay area.

If its not ultra Libby utopia we don't want

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:23 pm

fido_dido_2k wrote:Good weather is not on your list so I assume you are ok with brutal winters in Denver.

Raleigh, NC is a place that fits most of your criteria. The locals here are way too conservative.. everything here is closed on sunday mornings.

A few months of winters is fine. Denver has enough sunshine to compensate for that. I had looked up Raleigh earlier. Have never been there but conservative population is a big no-no. If not, it opens up a whole lot of great places in US for me to choose from.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:28 pm

hi cro! haven't seen you in long. i trust all iz well. Smile all iz well here. (maria is INFECTIOUS. you start reading maria's posts and before you know it, you've become epsicopalian!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:44 pm

Check the Money magazine list.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:49 pm

seven wrote:1. Decent cost of living - worry about this when you retire
Ha ha! I'm not worried about everyday cost of living as much as I am concerned
about my budget being able to buy the kind of house I want. I looked up a
few houses in Denver suburbs. For 700-800K, I can get a house with a
view in a gated community. I'm sure a similar house will cost me twice
as much in So Cal, unless I'm willing to stay 50 miles away.
2. Socially liberal and educated population with modern cosmopolitan outlook- you will find all types of people everywhere. socially liberal population does not live separately in different towns. Find people with similar mindset and befirend them. Good Luck!
Not really. While there are all types of people everywhere, it is about the critical mass of like minded people.

3. Good infrastructure -walking/biking paths, parks etc. Tons of places with this feature. But if this is 3rd on the deciding factors then live in Portland, OR ( i would say san diego or denver but you already considered them and rejected for different reasons).
My list is not necessarily in the order of importance. The weather is Portland is terrible. Though I'm not too concerned about weather, the place should at least afford a few months of good weather to enjoy outdoor activities.

I have not ruled out Denver/Boulder. I'm here for 4 weeks to evaluate. I like everything about this place - pretty, close to mountains, can find houses with view of the inner rangein my budget, lot of outdoor activities, 300 days of sunshine, thriving IT industry etc.

For some reason, I never thought of San Diego. Stupid me! I know it has possibly the best weather in the country. I've only been there once for a day trip from OC. Let me look up real estate there.
4. Good traffic -traveling the distance is not a problem, but the traffic should not be terrible - consider commuting during odd hours, avoid carpool time etc. Places with good jobs, weather, bike routes etc are preferred by many and therefore traffic is unlikely to be smooth, esp during peak hours

I'm more concerned about suburban traffic on inner roads. NJ is horrible due to narrow roads, potholes and terrible drivers. I don't drive much so traffic is not that big of a deal, so long as it is not terrible.
5. Scenic - getting a house with a view is high on my list. Ideally, there should be decent vacation spots within a few hours drive - depends on what kinda view? golf course? city skyline view? sea facing? if not North carolina then consider atlanta. i hear its better than NC as in less boring.
I know this one if subjective. Any kind of view is OK so long as it is not the view of the neighbor's house alone ;-)
Based on the above criteria, I had initially decided Orange County (Irvine and surrounding areas) in So Cal, but it is too expensive and a dollar doesn't go too far there. Even though I love the place, I don't think I'll be able to afford the kind of house I want. -have you considered Miami? less expenssive version of LA/San Diego
Miami -Good for vacations, bad for living.
I finally shortlisted Denver/Boulder region and am currently here for 4 weeks to evaluate if this is the place for me - While everything looked ideal on my first short visit here, I'm here mostly to see if my skin can tolerate the dryness. I've never used humidifiers, so not sure how practical they are. - Seriously? well its not almost exactly like saying, i'll not buy this house bcz i dont like the color on the walls or bcz i hate the light fixtures. the dryness can be fixed, methinks.
I've met a few people who are being driven insane by Denver's dryness. My skin is excessively dry and you can apply moisturizer only so many times a day. Moreover any moisturizer on my face and I get red watery eyes and runny nose. That is why I wanted to see for myself if I can handle the dryness.
So yea! longtime no see. busy house hunting err i mean city hunting? now that you have the names of the cities shortlisted, you can deep dive to find what areas/neighborhoods are your type.Good Luck!
I have a few cities shortlisted and will spend a month each there to explore the place in detail before finally deciding on the one for me.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:58 pm

Welcome back, CM. Your good traffic and decent cost of living requirements eliminate most large bicoastal metro areas. So you have to find a smaller city, perhaps a university town of not insignificant size, where you will find all that you seek. I hear good things about places like Austin, Madison, etc. Seattle may also be interesting for you, although I don't know how high home prices there are.

Let me guess, Charvaka? You are right, it eliminates most major metro areas. There are some I like for various reasons, but I'm not sure moving there will be a good idea for me. I've considered Chicago, Connecticut and some cities in Virginia, but they don't appeal to me as much as some of the second tier cities for various reasons. I have not ruled them out yet.

I've considered Austin and have heard only good things about the place. But it is too hot and too flat. I might be there for a day in Oct. Let's see if that is enough to change my mind.

You mean Madison, WI? I don't like WI at all.

Seattle is a place I love, but like Portland weather is too bad. I was there for about 5 weeks and I only had 2 days of sunshine. It might not have been the best time to be there, but from what I've heard it doesn't get much better than that. I think home prices there are reasonable even though they have been driven up by Californians migrating there in search of less expensive living.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:hi cro! haven't seen you in long. i trust all iz well. Smile all iz well here.
Good to hear from you! Life's great and good to know it is the same with you.
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by CroMagnon Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 pm

truthbetold wrote:From your post you give the impression that you can find a job in a city of your choice. That is a good position to be in. Since you listed denver as a possibility, let me suggest any one of the following suburbs of minneapolis, woodlands on east, eden prairie , minnetonka and many other nearby communities. They were listed as the best place or among the best places in usa. Excellent schools, well known state university, terrific lake views, robust technical job opportunities, and decent size indian community. Like denver but better.

TBT, I work from home and travel 1-2 times a month so I can stay anywhere I want. A place with good high end jobs is indirectly a good place to live and so would like to stay in such places.

I have lived in Minneapolis for 3 months. Even though I was not in a great place (mounds view), but would frequently go to places south of Minneapolis and really liked it. It is definitely on my list and I know Eden Prairie was rated the best place by CNN money.

Roughly how much would a 3-4 bedroom house on the lake cost in some of these suburbs you talk about? Any new projects going on there that I can look up online?
CroMagnon
CroMagnon

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:21 pm

CroMagnon wrote:
Seattle is a place I love, but like Portland weather is too bad. I was there for about 5 weeks and I only had 2 days of sunshine. It might not have been the best time to be there, but from what I've heard it doesn't get much better than that. I think home prices there are reasonable even though they have been driven up by Californians migrating there in search of less expensive living.

If you have kids (which I am not sure) look at the surrounding and schools for them

If you are married, then look for the wifey's wishes and career and other goals (as well).

If you are single - heck who cares...move around every 3 months and decide after a year....

Out of all your concerns, I would consider traffic as the ONLY legit criteron. Weather? hot? flat? are all not really factors a young person should even bother about.

How about Salina, KS? Why not Boise, ID? why not even Mysore? or Bend, OR ?

For someone from 10,000 miles away and a young person you should not be putting so many conditions on a living place.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:29 pm

CroMagnon wrote:

TBT, I work from home and travel 1-2 times a month so I can stay anywhere I want. A place with good high end jobs is indirectly a good place to live and so would like to stay in such places.

I have lived in Minneapolis for 3 months. Even though I was not in a great place (mounds view), but would frequently go to places south of Minneapolis and really liked it. It is definitely on my list and I know Eden Prairie was rated the best place by CNN money.

Roughly how much would a 3-4 bedroom house on the lake cost in some of these suburbs you talk about? Any new projects going on there that I can look up online?

dont forget proximity to casinos and other dens of iniquity and sleaze.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:27 pm

parts of new england are nice. western and southern suburbs of boston and southern new hampshire. doubt you'll find much in the way of brand new construction though.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:44 pm

question CM... u had a house in CNJ. Did you sell/rent it? How was the market, etc?

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Cro,
with the numbers you mentioned in one of the above posts you can get a very nice house in a very decent location. May be even in an exclusive neighborhood. But most of the suburbs have houses in all price ranges. If you zeroed in on minneapolis i can check the map and give you some specific names in addition to the above mentioned.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:05 pm

Prop,
have you been mn casinos?
Ct got the first indian casinos but they are struggling. Been there few times. Not bad for little fun.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:14 pm

Cro,
I could also suggest ct. Great weather for 7 to 9 months. But housing and living costs are obscenely expensive. For all the high taxes you get to rub shoulders with yale faculty and other east coast liberals. Ny and boston are within 2hr drive. You drive 20 miles away from major highways you can see old world charm og new england.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:21 am

truthbetold wrote:Cro,
I could also suggest ct. Great weather for 7 to 9 months. But housing and living costs are obscenely expensive. For all the high taxes you get to rub shoulders with yale faculty and other east coast liberals. Ny and boston are within 2hr drive. You drive 20 miles away from major highways you can see old world charm og new england.

Really ? Only if you use iOS6

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:13 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Cro,

Really ? Only if you use iOS6
depending on start and end points you may add an hour. But that is not unusual for world's mega cities. I drove to either destination multiple times. I do not use any gps devices but i know few back roads. One has to avoid traffic jams during peak hours. If you go to ny for shopping or catching a game you can plan the trip times.
what about ios6? Is it released yet? Did you use it?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down