Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IIT JEE Topper wants to become an IAS officer after doing B.Tech in Electrical Engineering

+6
Kris
charvaka
indophile
doofus_maximus
The Absolute Zero
sambarvada
10 posters

Go down

IIT JEE Topper wants to become an IAS officer after doing B.Tech in Electrical Engineering Empty IIT JEE Topper wants to become an IAS officer after doing B.Tech in Electrical Engineering

Post by sambarvada Wed May 25, 2011 1:05 pm

http://ibnlive.in.com/#hp_player2

===> We thought he is going to be another Nikolai Tesla or William Shockley.

He is going to study solid state electronics, digital circuits and end up as a district collector in Meghalaya!

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

IIT JEE Topper wants to become an IAS officer after doing B.Tech in Electrical Engineering Empty Re: IIT JEE Topper wants to become an IAS officer after doing B.Tech in Electrical Engineering

Post by The Absolute Zero Wed May 25, 2011 3:59 pm

And for that he needs 4 year degree? Any BA would have been OK and he would be one year younger as well. WTF is this IIT trend of doing BE and going into IAS?

One lady I know in USA has done this.

BE IIT Madras
MBA - IIM Ahmedabad
Ph.D - Tx Austin
Now teaching at some school

Wonder how many kids she brushed aside at IIT and IIM entrace exams and how those kids cried for not getting admission. ANd with all this, she is teaching! Great work!

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

IIT JEE Topper wants to become an IAS officer after doing B.Tech in Electrical Engineering Empty Re: IIT JEE Topper wants to become an IAS officer after doing B.Tech in Electrical Engineering

Post by doofus_maximus Wed May 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Nd with all this, she is teaching! Great work!

and teaching is wrong why???
doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 25, 2011 4:25 pm

There are still some old style British Raj type people who have a lot of admiration for those Babus and Babuships. If he grew up in a household with such people it wouldn't be surprising if he harbors such ideas. All it takes is to gain some real world experience and he might change those misguided ideas.

It's like this young doctor who buys a brand new Porche and stops by his Grandma to show her his new acquisition. He gives her a ride around the block, and drops her at her door. She says congratulations with an adder - "your car is nice, may be when your practice picks up, you can afford something with 4 doors and an automatic.":-)

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Wed May 25, 2011 5:40 pm

indophile wrote:There are still some old style British Raj type people who have a lot of admiration for those Babus and Babuships. If he grew up in a household with such people it wouldn't be surprising if he harbors such ideas. All it takes is to gain some real world experience and he might change those misguided ideas.

It's like this young doctor who buys a brand new Porche and stops by his Grandma to show her his new acquisition. He gives her a ride around the block, and drops her at her door. She says congratulations with an adder - "your car is nice, may be when your practice picks up, you can afford something with 4 doors and an automatic.":-)

===> Nowhere in the world except in India the civil servants are held in such high esteem. When I grew up, I had a neighbor who was an officer working in the Income Tax department. Everyone looked at him in such awe. The truth of the matter is that the IAS officers get rich getting bribes and can harass anyone by abusing their powers.

Especially in the rural areas, a district collector is almost like a king. The reason the IAS officers command such respect is because India is a backward country where a lot of its citizens are illiterate and have been conditioned by the British Raj to fear people in authority.

How come in America or Canada, nobody gives a crap if you hold a high position in the government?

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed May 25, 2011 6:35 pm

indophile wrote:There are still some old style British Raj type people who have a lot of admiration for those Babus and Babuships. If he grew up in a household with such people it wouldn't be surprising if he harbors such ideas.
Yeah, my grandfather always wanted me to be a collector. He was disappointed with all this engineering nonsense.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 pm

I met someone in the late 80's who was focused on this and found it anachronistic then. If this young man's ambition is the civil service, wouldn't it make more sense to go the economics/ poli sci /history route?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Kris wrote: I met someone in the late 80's who was focused on this and found it anachronistic then. If this young man's ambition is the civil service, wouldn't it make more sense to go the economics/ poli sci /history route?

===> The kid is bright. But he really does not know what he wants to do with his life. It is just that he is very sharp and intelligent that he can ace any competitive test.

I guess he just wants to be part of the most sought after institution in India whether it is IIT or IAS.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed May 25, 2011 11:51 pm

But he really does not know what he wants to do with his life

>>>> but I thought his ambition was to become an IAS?

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed May 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Barely 10% of guys end up doing what they think they wll be doing when they start their bachelors. The guy probably does not even know what are the different career options ahead. If I were to put my money I will bet on him not becoming an IAS officer.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed May 25, 2011 11:57 pm

I agree. It is just that I haven't heard someone express such a specific goal and do something completely different.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 26, 2011 12:04 am

from what I hear - especially form the Gults I know - that IAS oppicers command the max dowry in Andhra.

As you know the Dowry level is the most reliable criterion in deciding the most sought after profession/position.

With one in 4 IIT admission coming from Andhra - the IAS craze is easy to explain.

BTW, IAS oppicers collect the maximum bribe by age 40 or 50, and move seamlessly into politics - having made all the necessary connections during their babudom.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by sambarvada Thu May 26, 2011 10:31 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:from what I hear - especially form the Gults I know - that IAS oppicers command the max dowry in Andhra.As you know the Dowry level is the most reliable criterion in deciding the most sought after profession/position.

With one in 4 IIT admission coming from Andhra - the IAS craze is easy to explain.

BTW, IAS oppicers collect the maximum bribe by age 40 or 50, and move seamlessly into politics - having made all the necessary connections during their babudom.

===> That explains why some MBBS graduates end up becoming IAS officers.

IAS --they get rich quickly --- is the quicket way to recoup the 75 lakhs they spent on getting into Lakshmana Reddy Medical College.

sambarvada

Back to top Go down

Post by The Absolute Zero Thu May 26, 2011 12:26 pm

doofus_maximus wrote:Nd with all this, she is teaching! Great work!

and teaching is wrong why???

DM
I did not say teaching is bad. What I was saying was her aimless moving from field to field. If she got her Ph.D in engg or related field and taught, great. But why she would go from BE to MBA and then Ph.d and then teach? Seems senseless to me for a bright kid as her.

After MBA any company like citi, BOA or anyone would hire (remember ajay banga) her at top salary and thats what an MBA is taught to do at IIM. What is the use of switching fields every 4 years? Headless chicken IMO. If you really wanted to teach, should have done Ph.D in the field same as BE or related.

Look at IIT b.tech that come to US do phd and join teaching. They do justice to the IIT and the field. But IIT MEchanical engg, MBA then teach? WTF!

The Absolute Zero

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Thu May 26, 2011 2:26 pm

not everyone does everything in their life for money..

that person may have been passionate about learning all those and also passionate about teaching..hence she did that..

some ppl go through their entire life trying to figure out what they want to do..let them be I say.

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 27, 2011 2:28 am

The Absolute Zero wrote:
DM
I did not say teaching is bad. What I was saying was her aimless moving from field to field. If she got her Ph.D in engg or related field and taught, great. But why she would go from BE to MBA and then Ph.d and then teach? Seems senseless to me for a bright kid as her.

Look at IIT b.tech that come to US do phd and join teaching. They do justice to the IIT and the field. But IIT MEchanical engg, MBA then teach? WTF!

What you said is obsolete. These days it is all about inter and multi-disciplinary. It is not a question of someone studying different fields one after another, rather about how they use it all together.

If you scroll around various University websites at top universities you will see people having different specialties in Bachelor, Masters, PhD and beyond. Doing all the degrees and working in the same field is an Indian view (outdated worldwide).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri May 27, 2011 2:54 am

doofus_maximus wrote:some ppl go through their entire life trying to figure out what they want to do..let them be I say.

Doofy, you're already very popular with CHaunties on account of the fantastic housekeeping, cooking and child-rearing capabilities that you have demonstrated.

You don't need to further burnish your credentials by rooting for someone (spl if female) who acquires degrees from exclusive institutions at taxpayer expense, depriving other individuals of an opportunity to study there and potentially deliver a better ROI to society.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Fri May 27, 2011 5:17 am

IAS officer = tremendous power = tremendous money.

sure, at times, they have to clean mayawati's shoes and stuff, but that's a small price they are willing to pay for what comes with power and money.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by doofus_maximus Fri May 27, 2011 11:17 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
doofus_maximus wrote:some ppl go through their entire life trying to figure out what they want to do..let them be I say.

Doofy, you're already very popular with CHaunties on account of the fantastic housekeeping, cooking and child-rearing capabilities that you have demonstrated.

You don't need to further burnish your credentials by rooting for someone (spl if female) who acquires degrees from exclusive institutions at taxpayer expense, depriving other individuals of an opportunity to study there and potentially deliver a better ROI to society.

unless you are jealous you don't have to worry about me getting popular with CHaunties. They can go after RDJ and other assorted sorts..

I care two hoots if it is a female or male.

oh.. who died and made you the Auditor general ..

doofus_maximus
doofus_maximus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down