Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook and women

+6
Rekz
garam_kuta
.|Sublime|.
Impedimenta
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
charvaka
10 posters

Go down

Facebook and women Empty Facebook and women

Post by charvaka Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Is there something inherent in the Facebook paradigm that makes it more compelling to women? My friends list is probably half men and half women. But when it is time to wish me for something, over 90 percent of the people who post "happy birthday" or whatever else are women. Is this the experience of other men on Facebook as well? Why are women on Facebook more likely to wish their friends than men are? Is this difference in behavior already factored into Facebook's algorithms? (I usually don't log in to Facebook, and over the last couple of years, my opinion of it has gotten steadily worse. I had the Facebook app enabled on my first Android phone. A few ROMs and devices later, I don't even install that app any more.)
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Facebook and women Empty Re: Facebook and women

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 30, 2011 7:38 pm

The only good thing about Facebook is that I am able to track people with whom I lost contact decades ago. Just by clicking away the friends, (friends of friends)^n I now know where all these people are and what their kids do, study, work, etc...

Now I can act like God who knows everything about everyone....Wink

(BTW, checked out your FB page and all your friends as well).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon May 30, 2011 9:22 pm

charvaka wrote:Is there something inherent in the Facebook paradigm that makes it more compelling to women? My friends list is probably half men and half women. But when it is time to wish me for something, over 90 percent of the people who post "happy birthday" or whatever else are women. Is this the experience of other men on Facebook as well? Why are women on Facebook more likely to wish their friends than men are? Is this difference in behavior already factored into Facebook's algorithms? (I usually don't log in to Facebook, and over the last couple of years, my opinion of it has gotten steadily worse. I had the Facebook app enabled on my first Android phone. A few ROMs and devices later, I don't even install that app any more.)

mr blue flower admin,
happy birthday! ya? no? and, i am this close to closing out my FB account. if not for my valuable dance connections, i have no use for it. i mean this woman there literally inspires me to do so much for my dance. other then that, when women get on FB, they kinda go through the "get sappy in 10 days" course and graduate with honors. men go through the same but seem to graduate with a b+. stupid "pokes" and "likes". i want this. a "tight slap" button that i will probably use all the time.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by .|Sublime|. Mon May 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Impedimenta wrote: a "tight slap" button that i will probably use all the time.

hey admin, how about one for this forum? good idea, impy

.|Sublime|.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Impedimenta wrote:stupid "pokes" and "likes". i want this. a "tight slap" button that i will probably use all the time.

This is not the kind of language you should be speaking on this site - where holy Swamys visit. This site is full of sinners and they will twist your statements out of context and misinterpret....(not everyone is holy like me).

You should wear this Vibhuti for your protection.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

Impedimenta wrote:i want this. a "tight slap" button that i will probably use all the time.
This is a GREAT idea. I will implement it in the new forum. There will be two buttons -- "like" and "tight slap". You get five tight slaps, and your post won't show up by default any more.

Unfortunately, Forumotion won't let me implement that feature.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 11:34 am

charvaka wrote:Is there something inherent in the Facebook paradigm that makes it more compelling to women? My friends list is probably half men and half women. But when it is time to wish me for something, over 90 percent of the people who post "happy birthday" or whatever else are women. Is this the experience of other men on Facebook as well? Why are women on Facebook more likely to wish their friends than men are? Is this difference in behavior already factored into Facebook's algorithms? (I usually don't log in to Facebook, and over the last couple of years, my opinion of it has gotten steadily worse. I had the Facebook app enabled on my first Android phone. A few ROMs and devices later, I don't even install that app any more.)

did I miss a b'day wish? Happy birthday!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 12:02 pm

charvaka wrote:This is a GREAT idea. I will implement it in the new forum. There will be two buttons -- "like" and "tight slap". You get five tight slaps, and your post won't show up by default any more.

LOL!

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:stupid "pokes" and "likes". i want this. a "tight slap" button that i will probably use all the time.

This

You should wear this Vibhuti for your protection.

hmm. hinting her for your favorite Halloween costume affraid

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 9:44 pm

yea well i get more pokes and wall posts by guys. i have equal number of men and women on my frnd list too...maybe more women.

i nvr counted whose msgs were more in number on my b'day but i am sure the first few are from men. so there...

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Tue May 31, 2011 9:52 pm

seven wrote:yea well i get more pokes and wall posts by guys. i have equal number of men and women on my frnd list too...maybe more women.

i nvr counted whose msgs were more in number on my b'day but i am sure the first few are from men. so there...
May be that's the Facebook dynamic... men wishing women and women wishing men. I can't believe nobody confirmed by grand theory that Facebook is somehow geared towards women.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 10:01 pm

I can't believe nobody confirmed by grand theory that Facebook is somehow geared towards women..

bcz it's not Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue May 31, 2011 10:12 pm

Social community sites are for attention-seekers
Both men & women fall under this category...
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue May 31, 2011 10:15 pm

[quote="charvaka"]Is there something inherent in the Facebook paradigm that makes it more compelling to women? My friends list is probably half men and half women. But when it is time to wish me for something, over 90 percent of the people who post "happy birthday" or whatever else are women.

This shows u were quite generous during ur college days...must have showered all those ladies with flowers & gifts..how could they miss wishing u on ur bday Smile
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 31, 2011 10:18 pm

Rekz wrote:Social community sites are for attention-seekers

troll alert !

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue May 31, 2011 10:22 pm

seven wrote:
Rekz wrote:Social community sites are for attention-seekers

troll alert !
Very Happy
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:33 am

charvaka wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:i want this. a "tight slap" button that i will probably use all the time.
This is a GREAT idea. I will implement it in the new forum. There will be two buttons -- "like" and "tight slap". You get five tight slaps, and your post won't show up by default any more.

Unfortunately, Forumotion won't let me implement that feature.

Don't connect 'tight slaps' to voting down the post. I am afraid most of my posts will never see the light of day.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:35 am

SomeProfile wrote:
Don't connect 'tight slaps' to voting down the post. I am afraid most of my posts will never see the light of day.

lol!
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 am

charvaka wrote:I usually don't log in to Facebook, and over the last couple of years, my opinion of it has gotten steadily worse.

i closed my dormant FB account a few weeks ago. the same day, i also closed my linkedin and twitter accounts. i had not used any of them for months. as ravi shastri said during IPL SF, there are better things to do in life than to be on social networking sites.

linkedin reminds me of its IPO. does anyone know how someone purchased it at $50?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:48 am

Another Brick wrote:
charvaka wrote:I usually don't log in to Facebook, and over the last couple of years, my opinion of it has gotten steadily worse.

i closed my dormant FB account a few weeks ago. the same day, i also closed my linkedin and twitter accounts. i had not used any of them for months. as ravi shastri said during IPL SF, there are better things to do in life than to be on social networking sites.

linkedin reminds me of its IPO. does anyone know how someone purchased it at $50?

Someone bought it for $50?

Gasp! I bought one share for $84....Man! I really need to spend some time on investing 101.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:06 am

You bought at $84. Why did you not tell before? dang.. that is going to be the peak for LNKD now. I am screwed.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:09 am

artood2 wrote:You bought at $84. Why did you not tell before? dang.. that is going to be the peak for LNKD now. I am screwed.

anyways, I am not selling it for 10 years.

Okay now...

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:11 am

Sasthi wrote:
artood2 wrote:You bought at $84. Why did you not tell before? dang.. that is going to be the peak for LNKD now. I am screwed.

anyways, I am not selling it for 10 years.

Okay now...

If you sell now, there is some hope, if you hold on for 10 years that is just being mean. What else you got? I can get out of them Razz
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:13 am

A guy was involved in a very bad accident when he started driving resulting in two cars getting totalled. Next day a colleague drops by and asks: "subbu, are you going home now?"
Subbu: No
colleague: Great.
Subbu: Why?
colleague: Because I am.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:44 am

Sasthi wrote:Someone bought it for $50?

yes. benign behna on the old CH claimed that she did. now you can't imagine someone like her to hold a gun to some broker on wall street saying "either your brains or your signature." so, everyone here wonders how.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:54 am

Another Brick wrote:
Sasthi wrote:Someone bought it for $50?

yes. benign behna on the old CH claimed that she did. now you can't imagine someone like her to hold a gun to some broker on wall street saying "either your brains or your signature." so, everyone here wonders how.

oh godddd !! maybe it was a typo ! maybe she meant to type 80 and by mistake typed 5 instead of 8. y is everyone after her life for that #-o

quit it or

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:00 am

no, it wasn't. it was not a typo. typo, it wasn't. wasn't a typo that. typo wasn't what it was. it was not a typo, what! whatever it was, it was not a typo.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:08 am

maybe not but going on and on and on about it is boring...quit it (?)

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:42 am

seven wrote: maybe not but going on and on and on about it is boring...quit it (?)

Hey I am still giving Sasthi some grief on her investing ...

BTW you should read .|Sublime|.'s post for verg/non-veg.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 am

r2d2, who were you on sulekha CH? i can't place you. i know you tried to revive some posts before sulkha kicked the bucket, but before that?

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:17 am

Another Brick wrote:

vinodini,
linkedin, i understand linked in but but but who were you exactly tweeting for? rajinikantham? shah rukh monkey khan? srt? katrina kaif? just checking

Last edited by Impedimenta on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Another Brick Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:21 am

priyamvadai morgdossai,

i wasn't tweeting for anyone. nobody follows me as you imagined. but i was following SRT and zaheer khan. then i stopped reading their tweets and closed down the account. twitter told me that they were sad to see me leave.

Another Brick

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Another Brick wrote:r2d2, who were you on sulekha CH? i can't place you. i know you tried to revive some posts before sulkha kicked the bucket, but before that?

This guy is a senior member in chaikaapi forum...whereas he is much junior to me on sulekha CH
Just not fair:(
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by charvaka Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Rekz wrote:
Another Brick wrote:r2d2, who were you on sulekha CH? i can't place you. i know you tried to revive some posts before sulkha kicked the bucket, but before that?

This guy is a senior member in chaikaapi forum...whereas he is much junior to me on sulekha CH
That junion-senior feature is going to go away, as soon as I can figure out how to delete it. Right now it is based purely on total number of posts.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

artood2 wrote:
seven wrote: maybe not but going on and on and on about it is boring...quit it (?)

Hey I am still giving Sasthi some grief on her investing ...

BTW you should read .|Sublime|.'s post for verg/non-veg.

i can't find it. confused

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:02 pm

yea, i wana know too wat was ur handle on sulekha CH b4 r2d2 ?

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:58 pm

seven wrote:

I am glad my multiple layers of deceptions are finally working.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Rekz wrote:

Why would you want to be senior citizen?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:54 pm

LOL on how many forums do you guys talk to same people Smile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:54 pm

artood2 wrote:
seven wrote:

wait thats BW's line :-? but you are not her i know..i can tell...yea, i am sure. don't wana tell, fine by me.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Why do you think I am not BW? Not smart enuff?
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:17 pm

artood2 wrote:Why do you think I am not BW? Not smart enuff?

smart enuf alright but, i dont wana say wat difference i noticed, you are not BW.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:36 pm

ok ok.. I still have to add a few more layers of deception
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:27 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rekz wrote:

Why would you want to be senior citizen?

Coz these days i feel like one
btw u called me as rakes once on sulekha coffeehouse & TS showered u with his usual blessings...
Not able to dig out the thread...uff everything is so messed up on old ch...
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:22 am

Rekz wrote:

btw u called me as rakes once on sulekha coffeehouse & TS showered u with his usual blessings...

I think you are having a senior moment here. This droid never faced the cyclops
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 am

artood2 wrote:
Rekz wrote:

Im sure it was some avacado or artood handle....
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:06 am

artood2 wrote:
seven wrote:

You may run, R2D2, but you can't hide from "self". I know it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:17 pm

I have attained self-realisation. I got to be hideous.
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:23 pm

blabberwock wrote:
artood2 wrote:
seven wrote:

You may run, R2D2, but you can't hide from "self". I know it all.

err? say what? you are all a big "maya" to me. just saying.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by artood2 Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:28 pm

artood2 wrote:
Rekz wrote:

This is what happens when I do cyclops

Facebook and women R2-d2-princess-leia-hologram
artood2
artood2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down