Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

word of the day

+4
Maria S
Merlot Daruwala
Idéfix
MaxEntropy_Man
8 posters

Go down

word of the day Empty word of the day

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:31 am

about to hit the sack and my iphone dictionary app sprung this word of the day on me:

couth·ie [koo-thee]
adjective, Scot.
agreeable; genial; kindly.

hahahahahaha. ROTFLMAO. ask your friendly neighborhood tamil friend for an explanation.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

word of the day Empty Re: word of the day

Post by Idéfix Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:09 am

Does it mean monkey in Tamil? It does in Telugu.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 am

Also in Kannada.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:11 am

no it is a crude word for The Thing.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:19 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:about to hit the sack and my iphone dictionary app sprung this word of the day on me:

couth·ie [koo-thee]
adjective, Scot.
agreeable; genial; kindly.

hahahahahaha. ROTFLMAO. ask your friendly neighborhood tamil friend for an explanation.

I'll wear my hat of your "friend"ly neighborhood tamil "friend", and also gloves of a medico-educator and say- it's Vagina (or the Vulva too). It's mostly used as a slang, but used by patients often too.

It's def.not a "Thing"- (no matter which part of the external female genitalia it is used for) -that term is vile.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:36 am

Carvaka,

No idea what the Telugu term for Vagina is..but, assume it's not monkey:-)

Kidding aside..it's interesting to see so many Tamil people (born and raised in TN) and are NRI patriots (I like that term!) only know English terms for so many body parts..I don't claim to know all the words..but, it is interesting to see people how few native language words people know..when it comes to parts of their body.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:45 am

i don't know if there is a more polite word for the vagina. i suppose yOni, but that's of sanskritic origin. i've heard the compound word peNNuruppu, literally the woman's organ.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:53 am

but the meanings of a word that means different things in different languages is always funny. for example the marathi word for mother - Ayi. in some tamil communities this word means feces.

reminds of the time i used to work for a german conglomerate. i was in their R&D division working on a device that completes a chemical process after it exits a reaction chamber. i had called it, the afterburner. whenever i referred to the device in the presence of my german colleagues, it would cause ripples of laughter. i found out later that the naming of my device was unfortunate, for the word after means anus in german. so you can imagine how funny afterburner must have been to them.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:24 am

There is nothing polite about sexual terms or having sex..it's a natural thing:) I find most sexual terms funny- esp. to see what it means in different languages and it's all about context, unless a person is called by that term based alone on gender or used to diminish all their other abilities. *Even that..it's no secret that people take liberties in intimate situations to be playful.

In tamil..I have rarely heard most of the terms in the link below..it's mostly colloquial and can change..I was amused when Rekz called someone a big Paruppu and in tamil movies they do that for "a big shot"..now!

http://www.dictionary.tamilcube.com/index.aspx
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:25 am

doesn't paruppu also mean clitoris, other than its usual meaning to refer to any kind of lentil?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 am

Yes.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:42 am

LOL ! oh wow, i always thought that the usage was derogatory in nature.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:45 am

There is also a Marathi term fakta, means just/only/little. No one ever paid attention to it. Until now. When kids and K were in India, his mom asked him what will be have. He said fakta rice ani daal. (just plain rice and daal).

Son goes - oooh papa used a bad word (fuck the rice).

Later someone told us there is a song also that plays on this word.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:53 am

Maria S wrote:Carvaka,

Kidding aside..it's interesting to see so many Tamil people (born and raised in TN) and are NRI patriots (I like that term!) only know English terms for so many body parts..I don't claim to know all the words..but, it is interesting to see people how few native language words people know..when it comes to parts of their body.

Maria, meanig of this word is same as Tamil although it is mostly used as a cuss word. Carvaka read it as Kothi (ko as in coal) which means monkey.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:56 am

That's amusing Tracy:)

I learned some new words today! Looking up words..I learned how to say some anatomical terms in Mandarin Chinese..goodness, the Chinese have a long list of nasty terms for women..all kinds of women as they see them!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:02 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:Carvaka,

Maria, meanig of this word is same as Tamil although it is mostly used as a cuss word. Carvaka read it as Kothi (ko as in coal) which means monkey.

So, he speaks..thank you Mr. Cricket (?)!

Interesting..so I better not say it to Andhra friends:) I guess poor Carvaka did not never even make that long connection to..well, he thought about a monkey, right away:D!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:06 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:There is also a Marathi term fakta, means just/only/little. No one ever paid attention to it. Until now. When kids and K were in India, his mom asked him what will be have. He said fakta rice ani daal. (just plain rice and daal).

Son goes - oooh papa used a bad word (fuck the rice).

Later someone told us there is a song also that plays on this word.

Here you go. The original line was "I want fakta you", changed now to "I want justa you", presumably forced by censors wiser from DK Bose.

That said, I'm outraged by the heaving bosom and the bump and grind. Ban this, I say. But that is not good enough. Chitrangada Singh inspires impure thoughts in men without doing anything, and is undoubtedly a leading cause of molestations and rapes in India. She should be forced by law to move around only in burkha.

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:11 am

is this a more raunchy version of lavani?

your point taken about censorship, but there is a different sensibility about this than about a sequence in which there is only one woman, dressed like a moghal harem girl doing pelvic thrusts, surrounded by pawing men. you could say it's standard fare in strip clubs, and it is. not asking for banning, but it makes you think with the recent events in the background.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am

I've been thinking about this and have mixed feelings. Intuitively, it seems correct that Bollywood's item numbers as well as its depiction of heroines falling for boorish heroes (eg: Rowdy Rathore) contributes to young men developing a warped view of women.

But I think it's too much of a stretch to say it leads to rape. All of India watches these same movies and yet, you don't see the same incidence or even the kind of rapes in the rest of India that you see in Delhi. I haven't seen the data but I'm guessing the incidence of rapes in Mumbai, Bangalore or Chennai is comparable to any large city - even in societies which are not exposed to Bollywood's trash.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:35 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:doesn't paruppu also mean clitoris, other than its usual meaning to refer to any kind of lentil?
"paruppu" means "kernel," (as in the military rank; just kidding), so, by analogy, the clitoris. i knew about "koodhi," have heard it said by others, but have never uttered the word myself, even as a teenager. even though i spoke thamizh fluently, i knew only two or three other foul words, one referring to pubic hair, and the other, to one's sister. it took me a long time to connect "okkaLe" to "akkavai!"

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I've been thinking about this and have mixed feelings. Intuitively, it seems correct that Bollywood's item numbers as well as its depiction of heroines falling for boorish heroes (eg: Rowdy Rathore) contributes to young men developing a warped view of women.

But I think it's too much of a stretch to say it leads to rape. All of India watches these same movies and yet, you don't see the same incidence or even the kind of rapes in the rest of India that you see in Delhi. I haven't seen the data but I'm guessing the incidence of rapes in Mumbai, Bangalore or Chennai is comparable to any large city - even in societies which are not exposed to Bollywood's trash.

Hmm.... Everyone is exposed to bacteria. So........., let us not worry too much about infection....... May be the Doukhobors and Menonites are highly enlightened!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:I've been thinking about this and have mixed feelings. Intuitively, it seems correct that Bollywood's item numbers as well as its depiction of heroines falling for boorish heroes (eg: Rowdy Rathore) contributes to young men developing a warped view of women.

Hmm.... Everyone is exposed to bacteria. So........., let us not worry too much about infection....... May be the Doukhobors and Menonites are highly enlightened!

No, no, you should be very careful about avoiding infection.

Like those people who walk around wearing surgical masks and scrubbing their hands with sanitizer every 5 minutes, I urge you to stay away from all Indian movies, night-clubs, swimming pools and beaches. Also, please cover your eyes every time a woman in a low-cut blouse or short skirt or shorts enters your field of vision. And now that sufficient research has been done on the topic of undergarments of rural women, you should stop all such field-work.

I shudder to think what might happen if you get infected. You might actually mount a woman for the first time in your life!
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 pm

"And now that sufficient research has been done on the topic of
undergarments of rural women, you should stop all such field-work."

Come think of it, it is a more sensible way than fostering fungal infection by covering those hidden places.

The breeze behind the lungis...... Hmm... What a refreshing feeling!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:22 pm

Someone pls tell Lancet to hold their presses. Vakavaka Unkil is coming out with a pathbreaking paper on how the incidence of fungal infections can be cut by half in women by simply going commando!

Woohoo, Unkil, surely the 2013 Nobel Prize for Medicine is yours now.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down