Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another great idea following the Rashmun method

4 posters

Go down

Another great idea following the Rashmun method Empty Another great idea following the Rashmun method

Post by b_A Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Following this idea , I was thinking about it and detected a possible issue.
What if a bhojpuri speaking - learnt malayalam as link language -knife brandishing criminal tries to rob an awadhi speaking -learned tamil as link language - victim ? How can they communicate with each other?
How can a chattisgarhi-speaking-learnt kannada as link language-aasaram crapu following-molesting victim plead with a bhojpuri-speaking-learnt tamil as link language- rapist ?
In what language can they communicate?

I was thinking hard and couldn't come up with a solution. Then , I read this great formula from Rashmun and the solution came to me in a flash.
Applying Rashmun formula , this is my prescription.
All the people in BIMARU states have to learn a southindian language other than telugu as the link language , and then they also have to learn telugu as the link language between the other southindian link languages. I am naming this as Rashmun formula in recognition of the great Rashmun method. And I am writing to the Prime Minister about this and CC'ing the BIMARU state CMs to implement this formula at the earliest.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Another great idea following the Rashmun method Empty Re: Another great idea following the Rashmun method

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:16 pm

actually rashmun's formula is right and i have expressed that formula myself in such. but increasingly, language, like knowledge, is becoming "democratised" in the sense it will eventually become affordable and accessible to all. every poor man in india dreams of sending his kids to english medium schools. his mobile phone only escalates this desire. only 5% of us speak english only because 5% of us had a choice (a choice determined by affordability). if all indians had a choice, we would all be speaking in english!

the formula, as a prescription for the union, is an antiquated idea though. but yes, it would help if the union and the states promoted english, or, at the worst, stopped discouraging english (the states are more aggressive in promoting regional languages or stopping education in english in state schools than the central govt.).

rashmun formula:

My formula is this:
every indian must learn english (which is the language of the world), hindi (which is the first or second language of most people in urban India), and one regional language in school. Those people for whom hindi is the mother tongue should learn one other Indian language in their school. I had learnt sanskrit during my school days.

This is a tentative view and not a final opinion.

why are you so virulent that you can't see logic?

Back to top Go down

Another great idea following the Rashmun method Empty Re: Another great idea following the Rashmun method

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:00 pm

rashmun formula:

My formula is this:
every indian must learn english (which is the language of the world), hindi (which is the first or second language of most people in urban India), and one regional language in school. Those people for whom hindi is the mother tongue should learn one other Indian language in their school. I had learnt sanskrit during my school days.

why are you so virulent that you can't see logic? [/quote]

Tut, tut! If Rashmun's language is Hindi, how can he choose Sanskrit (a non-spoken language), not a south indian language like Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Tamil, Tulu etc., and satisfy his own formula?

It is far easier for a person in Tamil Nadu to pick up Kannada, Telugu or Malayalam since there are many words that are common, in addition to their similarity in sentence construction than, say, Hindi or Sindhi. Conversely, I'd think that its far easier for a Punjabi to pick up Hindi than Tamil. This kind of formula is tilted way in favor of north indians which explains why a north indian came up with it in the first place.

If it were up to me I'd propose: Mandatory: 1. Local language and 2. English. Optional: 3. Any other Indian language of choice.

The "missing link" should be of no concern to democratic Indians, be it Hindi or the Neanderthal Man.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:21 pm

goodcitizn wrote:
If it were up to me I'd propose: Mandatory: 1. Local language and 2. English. Optional: 3. Any other Indian language of choice..
scary. What a Face

i think hindi should be be the local and link language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:28 pm

goodcitizn wrote:rashmun formula:

My formula is this:

The "missing link" should be of no concern to democratic Indians, be it Hindi or the Neanderthal Man.
t
That was the first thing that got my attention. Then it stuck me. Rashmun is hypocrisy-challenged, and what he prescribes does not apply to others.

How can anyone take "his views and opinions" seriously when they are riddled with such contradictions.

Wait...he does not realize his contradictions.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:41 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
If it were up to me I'd propose: Mandatory: 1. Local language and 2. English. Optional: 3. Any other Indian language of choice..
scary. What a Face

Spoken like a proud Hindian!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:10 pm

India has at least 14 languages and an abundance of dialects. No other country has spawned so many over its history. If India were a true democracy that believes in the freedom of speech, it ought to use its resources in the preservation, not the dissipation, of its multi-lingual heritage. The government has no right to tilt the communication scale in favor of one, at the expense of the rest. What is truly scary is that the publicly funded prachar sabhas are advancing the fanatic notion that knowledge of Hindi is a pre-requisite to patriotism. What is even scarier is the Hinglish they administer in the process.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:50 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
scary. What a Face

Spoken like a proud Hindian!
oh sorry. i did not notice that local language AND english were mandatory. as long as english is mandatory, any formula should be ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:38 am

I don't see why any formula is necessary at all. Let the market decide what languages are taught, based on what languages are demanded by people. If people want to learn Hindi, they ought to be able to do so. If they don't, they ought to be able to get through their education without being forced to learn Hindi.

This so-called "formula" of three-language policy is already the norm in most schools outside the Hindi belt. The only large area where it is NOT the norm is northern India including Uttar Pradesh. So the place Master Rashmun should focus on implementing his masterly formula is Uttar Pradesh.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 am

b_A wrote:Following this idea , I was thinking about it and detected a possible issue.
What if a bhojpuri speaking - learnt malayalam as link language -knife brandishing criminal tries to rob an awadhi speaking -learned tamil as link language - victim ? How can they communicate with each other?
How can a chattisgarhi-speaking-learnt kannada as link language-aasaram crapu following-molesting victim plead with a bhojpuri-speaking-learnt tamil as link language- rapist ?
In what language can they communicate?

I was thinking hard and couldn't come up with a solution. Then , I read this great formula from Rashmun and the solution came to me in a flash.
Applying Rashmun formula , this is my prescription.
All the people in BIMARU states have to learn a southindian language other than telugu as the link language , and then they also have to learn telugu as the link language between the other southindian link languages. I am naming this as Rashmun formula in recognition of the great Rashmun method. And I am writing to the Prime Minister about this and CC'ing the BIMARU state CMs to implement this formula at the earliest.
Hahaha, this is a significant improvement over the original Rashmun Formula, and it closes an important gap in it. I second your suggestion that it be implemented pronto in northindia.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:52 am

panini press wrote:I don't see why any formula is necessary at all. Let the market decide what languages are taught, based on what languages are demanded by people. If people want to learn Hindi, they ought to be able to do so. If they don't, they ought to be able to get through their education without being forced to learn Hindi.

This so-called "formula" of three-language policy is already the norm in most schools outside the Hindi belt. The only large area where it is NOT the norm is northern India including Uttar Pradesh. So the place Master Rashmun should focus on implementing his masterly formula is Uttar Pradesh.
i was trying to say the same thing upthread but got lost in words. good post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down