Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tamils vs Tamils (Removal of Hindi signboards in Madurai)

+7
goodcitizn
bw
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Idéfix
MaxEntropy_Man
Kayalvizhi
11 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Tamils vs Tamils (Removal of Hindi signboards in Madurai) - Page 3 Empty Re: Tamils vs Tamils (Removal of Hindi signboards in Madurai)

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:as i said earlier, a genetic study confirmed that the IVC people and the people inhabiting the IVC region today are of the same stock (i will have to find the link). if this is not true, then please take me to pakistan and punjab and haryana and show me who the aryans are and who the IVC people?
*correction*

Back to top Go down

Tamils vs Tamils (Removal of Hindi signboards in Madurai) - Page 3 Empty Re: Tamils vs Tamils (Removal of Hindi signboards in Madurai)

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:From the evidence i have seen though i believe the IVC people were distinct from the Aryan people.
Tamils vs Tamils (Removal of Hindi signboards in Madurai) - Page 3 200px-Mohenjo-daro_Priesterk%C3%B6nig

please tell me what this ^ evidence tells you? that he is aryan or non-aryan? how?

he looks almost chinese to me.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:Twilight zone thread..if this douchemunullah gangothrivedi ever decides to get married in a church and the priest asks if anyone knows a reason why the goat and the drooling man shouldn't get married, one can simply standup and wave printouts of this thread. That should convince any priest of this douche's precarious hold over reality
That visual made me lol!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:From the evidence i have seen though i believe the IVC people were distinct from the Aryan people.
Tamils vs Tamils (Removal of Hindi signboards in Madurai) - Page 3 200px-Mohenjo-daro_Priesterk%C3%B6nig

please tell me what this ^ evidence tells you? that he is aryan or non-aryan? how?

See http://www.harappa.com/indus/41.html for a better picture.

I cannot tell based on this. Typically i would expect dravidians of those times to have broader noses, and thicker lips. But the most important difference: I would expect Aryans to be more fair. In fact i would expect Aryans of those days to be almost indistinguishable from caucasians while i would expect dravidians to be dark complexioned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
From the evidence i have seen though i believe the IVC people were distinct from the Aryan people.
no no. i don't know what evidence you have seen.
Any theory that claims that the IVC people were distinct from the Aryans and the IVC people were displaced by the Aryans needs to explain how. The invasion theory has more or less been debunked.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:01 pm

panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
From the evidence i have seen though i believe the IVC people were distinct from the Aryan people.
no no. i don't know what evidence you have seen.
Any theory that claims that the IVC people were distinct from the Aryans and the IVC people were displaced by the Aryans needs to explain how. The invasion theory has more or less been debunked.

The invasion term has been replaced by the term 'migration' to make it more politically correct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:HK, please take a look at this:

http://safarmer.com/frontline/

Romila Thapar has endorsed the views of Witzel and Farmer. I should point out that i do not agree with everything Witzel and Farmer say but on this particular issue they have made a very convincing case and their views on this enjoy the support of two of the foremost scholars of the IVC in the world: Asko Parpola and Iravatham Mahadevan. (you can read the supportive comments of Parpola and Mahadevan in one of the articles whose links Farmer gives).
i read it -- skipped few parts.

see, i do not disagree with witzel and farmer. they are absolutely right. here are my points:

• i do not deny there once were aryans and that they came to india from outside. they also introduced the horse to india and also sanskrit (not as we know sanskrit to be though).

• i have taken care to stress on "post harrapa" in my posts. the cemetry H culture is POST harappa. IVC was declining and the inhabitants had started moving inland. the aryans, who were already in contact with the IVC people, followed the IVC people to cemetery H areas and settled with them. vedic culture was born from this mixing. cemetery H's language was multilingual. rajaram ascribes this event (the mixing) to the mature harappan stage -- rajaram is wrong and has a hindutva agenda. actually rajaram ascribes everthing sanskrit and vedic to IVC or mature harrapan and denies the existence of aryans -- he is obviously wrong. the fusion between the aryans and the IVC people happened much later in cemetery H (in full bloom for it was already happening earlier in snatches which bring me to my next point).

• as the authors note, 4% of the rig veda (considered the unadulterated sanskrit of purely foreign origin) has 4% loan words from a punjabi language that has an affinity with munda. so even the rig veda is corrupted by local languages. it goes to show that what followed, sanskrit and the vedas and the upanishads, were a collaborative effort of the post harrapans and aryans. it is wrong to give any one of them sole authorship over it.

• racially too the aryans and IVC people are indistinguishable. as i said earlier, a genetic study confirmed that the IVC people and the people inhabiting the IVC region today are of the same stock (i will have to find the link). if this is true, then please take me to pakistan and punjab and haryana and show me who the aryans are and who the IVC people? if they have intermingled, did not this intermingling take place in harappan times or is it that there was never an intermingling but an exchange of culture, ideas, language and commerce?
Excellent post. This offers the only reasonable explanation for how IVC declined and the vedic culture came about, without the debunked invasion theory.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Witzel's critique of the recent 'Aryan Invasion Theory Debunked' paper (in two parts):

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Indo-Eurasian_research/message/15640

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Indo-Eurasian_research/message/15643

Farmer joins in:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Indo-Eurasian_research/message/15641

On Hindutva mailing lists, Witzel is denounced as 'Weasel' and Farmer is simply Farmer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Rashmun wrote:2. I am not so sure about race as you. The sanskrit word varna means color and it also means caste. That is to say, the caste based hierarchy came up on the basis of skin color with fair complexioned aryans at the top of the hierarchy and dark complexioned dravidians at the bottom. that is why even today high caste hindus, on average, will be more fair complexioned than low caste hindus. this is not to deny that there are high caste hindus who are dark complexioned or low caste hindus who are fair (because of inter marriages).
i agree with you. from available records, it appears that casteism (followed by colour prejudice) developed rather late (in india). there is nothing wrong with having an aesthetic preference with respect to colour but everything wrong with prejudice and discrimination based on colour and caste. unfortunately the origin of colour and caste prejudices are ascribed to a phenomena that never happened: the AIT. it is a vicious circle. it would be more appropriate to blame these discriminations to times medieval instead (as elsewhere in the world).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:2. I am not so sure about race as you. The sanskrit word varna means color and it also means caste. That is to say, the caste based hierarchy came up on the basis of skin color with fair complexioned aryans at the top of the hierarchy and dark complexioned dravidians at the bottom. that is why even today high caste hindus, on average, will be more fair complexioned than low caste hindus. this is not to deny that there are high caste hindus who are dark complexioned or low caste hindus who are fair (because of inter marriages).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varna_%28Hinduism%29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:43 pm

kinnera wrote:

Varna means color as well as caste; the one is the cause of the other...

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/path/v09n06p189_the-colour-of-the-ancient-aryans.htm

one should not blindly swallow whatever one finds in a wikipedia page.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:

http://www.theosociety.org/pasadena/path/v09n06p189_the-colour-of-the-ancient-aryans.htm

The skin color was an important factor in the caste system. The meaning of the word "Varna" is not class or status but skin color.

http://adaniel.tripod.com/origin.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:57 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:

It doesn't mean color of the skin. So the classification was made based on the color of the skin? How stupid can that be? According to one school of thought, it is based on the mental attidudes, sattva, rajas and tamo gunas and the varying degrees of those in the individual. The ones with more sattva gunas are the brahmins (indicated by white, for purity), the ones with more rajo gunas are the kshatriyas (red), and the ones with more tamo gunas are the sudhras (black).

You may claim to be a brahmin, but you don't seem to be satvik in nature. You seem to have more tamo gunas (ignorance, foolishness, etc) and hence can be considered a shudra. Color of your skin has nothing to do with it. It's what you are made inside is what matters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Varna (in ashrama dharma) does not exactly translate into caste. The word caste was incorporated by Europeans.

AND caste is abused by the privileged Ravans (Brahmins)

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:59 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:

It doesn't mean color of the skin. So the classification was made based on the color of the skin? How stupid can that be? According to one school of thought, it is based on the mental attidudes, sattva, rajas and tamo gunas and the varying degrees of those in the individual. The ones with more sattva gunas are the brahmins (indicated by white, for purity), the ones with more rajo gunas are the kshatriyas (red), and the ones with more tamo gunas are the sudhras (black).

You may claim to be a brahmin, but you don't seem to be satvik in nature. You seem to have more tamo gunas (ignorance, foolishness, etc) and hence can be considered a shudra. Color of your skin has nothing to do with it. It's what you are made inside is what matters.

it is true that i was born into a brahmin family but i do not believe in the caste system. i have always promoted inter caste marriages. Having said that the sanskrit word Varna does mean color.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Varna (in ashrama dharma) does not exactly translate into caste. The word caste was incorporated by Europeans.

AND caste is abused by the privileged Ravans (Brahmins)

Does the word Varna mean color? Yes or No?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:

it is true that i was born into a brahmin family but i do not believe in the caste system. i have always promoted inter caste marriages. Having said that the sanskrit word Varna does mean color.

yeah, varna is also color, the color represented by your mental make-up, your guna, not the color of your skin. I mentioned that above too.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
i agree with you. from available records, it appears that casteism (followed by colour prejudice) developed rather late (in india). there is nothing wrong with having an aesthetic preference with respect to colour but everything wrong with prejudice and discrimination based on colour and caste. unfortunately the origin of colour and caste prejudices are ascribed to a phenomena that never happened: the AIT. it is a vicious circle. it would be more appropriate to blame these discriminations to times medieval instead (as elsewhere in the world).
You don't need an Aryan Invasion in order for the caste system to develop, and the existence of the caste system does not help prove the Aryan Invasion theory. The Polynesians of Hawaii had an elaborate eight-level caste system that was rather rigid. There was no Aryan or any other invasion there that led to the development of that system; all the people on the islands were of the same Polynesian ethnic stock.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:19 pm

kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:

yeah, varna is also color, the color represented by your mental make-up, your guna, not the color of your skin. I mentioned that above too.
There was a long discussion on old CH about this between LittleFella and Rashmun. It is the discussion in which Rashmun made some strongly casteist statements. I remember someone had posted the meanings of the word varna. Like many common Sanskrit words, it has several distinct meanings, and both "color" and "one of the four high-level caste groups" are among them. But to argue that caste is based on color is a non sequitur. It is akin to arguing that the set dosa was created so each little dosa in the set is eaten after playing a set in a tennis match.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:23 pm

panini press wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

There was a long discussion on old CH about this between LittleFella and Rashmun. It is the discussion in which Rashmun made some strongly casteist statements. I remember someone had posted the meanings of the word varna. Like many common Sanskrit words, it has several distinct meanings, and both "color" and "one of the four high-level caste groups" are among them. But to argue that caste is based on color is a non sequitur. It is akin to arguing that the set dosa was created so each little dosa in the set is eaten after playing a set in a tennis match.

What to do! Moorkhatvam is a part of tamo guna and the dude is oozing with it. There's no use trying to put any sense into such ppl.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 pm

panini press wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
kinnera wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

PP is lying right, left and center now. It is truly disgraceful to see him pee peeing and poo pooing away to glory with no shame whatsoever. I had reacted aggressively to LF's casteist question "What is your caste?" in the middle of a heated discussion on the caste system. Even Max, PP's bosom friend, commented that it was improper on LF's part to have asked me this question particularly in the middle of a heated debate. These kind of antics resulted in PP being bestowed by the title Mudboy by the well known Sulekha poster Seva because of PP's penchant of throwing mud at others.

The fact that caste is based on skin color is obvious for one other reason which i mentioned in an earlier post and which Huzefa (someone far more intelligent than PP) accepted as a correct reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Rashmun wrote:Following public outcry on the Facebook account of Madurai District Administration over installing street signs in Hindi in the temple town, Collector Anshul Mishra has asked the city Corporation to remove them.

“Respecting the sentiments of our Tamil brothers and sisters, I am ready to take back my words regarding issue of tri-lingual boards and use of Hindi in these boards ... I am here to serve people of Tamil Nadu and not promote my mother tongue ...,” Mishra posted in the Facebook account of Collector Madurai.

Recently, the Madurai Corporation had made an announcement to install tri-language (Tamil, Hindi and English) signboards across the city to facilitate tourists visiting Madurai from various parts of the country. Immediately, activists of Tamil Desa Pothu Udamai Katchi staged a protest on January 25 demanding the removal of the signages.

However, as Corporation was slow to react to their pleas, the People’s Campaign for Tamil Cause took the cyber route for redressal. Several people, espousing the Tamil cause, sought the Collector’s intervention to remove the signages.

The movement argued that no other state in the country had put up signboards in Tamil to facilitate tourists from this state.

”In a day, hundreds of pilgrims from TN visit Kasi, Mumbai, Delhi and various places of pilgrimage in North India. The local bodies of those cities never displayed Tamil boards there ... Even in international terminals,we can seen single-language boards in the native language”

Some of the posts also emphasised Madurai’s legendary connection with Tamil Sangam. There were others who said that they were not against Hindi language but insisted on Tamil signboards only in Tamil Nadu.

However, the debate did not stop there. Immediately after the Collector’s post, scores of Facebook users asked him not to remove the Hindi signboards. A few posted comments saying, ”While we are proud of being Tamil, we should respect and encourage learning other languages, especially Hindi. We Tamils will be respected only if we are able to take together other language-speaking people and languages.” Some emphasised that Madurai was a popular tourist centre that attracted people from north India. Signboards in Hindi would help such tourists.

When Express contacted Collector Anshul Mishra, he said, ”As the District Magistrate, I need to maintain peace and tranquility in the district. And also, respecting Tamil sentiments, I have asked the Corporation officials to remove the signboards in Hindi.”

[url=http://newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/article1451522.ece
http://newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/article1451522.ece[/quote[/url]]

Let Tamil Nadu improve its transportation facility before considering sign boards in Hindi. Hindi speaking Tourists are not disappearing in Madurai coz of language issues. If they have decided to tour the Meenakshi Temple and other places in Madurai, all they need to know is the street name and “kind and Vetti” people there can guide them without GPS or Hindi Sign boards. First, they should have decent signs in Tamil to further include other languages.

Why give importance to Hindi alone where people with diverse language backgrounds visit Madurai? Ignoring other mainstream languages like Kannada, Marathi, and others ain’t fair.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:20 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:as i said earlier, a genetic study confirmed that the IVC people and the people inhabiting the IVC region today are of the same stock (i will have to find the link). if this is not true, then please take me to pakistan and punjab and haryana and show me who the aryans are and who the IVC people?
*correction*
oops, ignore correction. i got confused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 am

panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
You don't need an Aryan Invasion in order for the caste system to develop, and the existence of the caste system does not help prove the Aryan Invasion theory. The Polynesians of Hawaii had an elaborate eight-level caste system that was rather rigid. There was no Aryan or any other invasion there that led to the development of that system; all the people on the islands were of the same Polynesian ethnic stock.
interesting.

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:53 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
panini press wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
interesting.
Here is a little more detail on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapu

There's a lot of information on the kapu system on the internet. Like with the caste system, some of it is agenda-driven misrepresentation.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3